Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but it can only be 5K away (Part whatever)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The staff from my Father's Day Centre have continued to offer outreach services during COVID, which is brilliant.I get a call once a week to give an update, they do shopping for people who need it and meals delivered. They have been classed as an essential service so can visit for limited periods in full PPE and social distancing. I arranged for them to visit Dad. This morning I had to go through the COVID checklist questionnaire over the phone before they could visit, fsir enough, even though I speak to the woman weekly and she knows neither if us interact with anybody or have been anywhere I still was asked if Dad or I had returned from overseas in the last 14 days, FFS. But, I thought, at least they are doing everything right and it's a small annoyance.they arrived, aproned and masked and insisted Dad and I were masked, absolutely on board with this. They also didn't want me in the room during the visit for social distancing purposes, again, I'm totally on board with this, but I sort of hovered between the kitchen and the sitting room door, because he's hard of hearing and sometimes I have to prompt visitors to raise their voices as I can tell when he's only pretending to have heard them. Well, guess what I saw from the living room door? One of them, sitting directly in front of him pulled her mask down! Are you fukking kidding me? 20 questions that you were so officious in asking and insist we are masked and you do this? I pulled her up on it straight away. I honestly despair at people, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭4Ad

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The staff from my Father's Day Centre have continued to offer outreach services during COVID, which is brilliant.I get a call once a week to give an update, they do shopping for people who need it and meals delivered. They have been classed as an essential service so can visit for limited periods in full PPE and social distancing. I arranged for them to visit Dad. This morning I had to go through the COVID checklist questionnaire over the phone before they could visit, fsir enough, even though I speak to the woman weekly and she knows neither if us interact with anybody or have been anywhere I still was asked if Dad or I had returned from overseas in the last 14 days, FFS. But, I thought, at least they are doing everything right and it's a small annoyance.they arrived, aproned and masked and insisted Dad and I were masked, absolutely on board with this. They also didn't want me in the room during the visit for social distancing purposes, again, I'm totally on board with this, but I sort of hovered between the kitchen and the sitting room door, because he's hard of hearing and sometimes I have to prompt visitors to raise their voices as I can tell when he's only pretending to have heard them. Well, guess what I saw from the living room door? One of them, sitting directly in front of him pulled her mask down! Are you fukking kidding me? 20 questions that you were so officious in asking and insist we are masked and you do this? I pulled her up on it straight away. I honestly despair at people, sometimes.

Thats fecking awful..You seem very calm, I'd be raging...
    Putting your fathers health at serious risk...

4Ad wrote: »
    Thats fecking awful..You seem very calm, I'd be raging...
    Putting your fathers health at serious risk...

I was raging, but the visit did him good and he needed it so didn't go off on one. I expected better, though. These are nurses! I won't be leaving the sitting room door next week. I should be able to toddle off elsewhere and feel he's safe in their care but I clearly can't even trust health professionals. I sometimes feel like I'm fighting a war to keep him safe. A war against stupid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I have lost count of the amount of people that seem to need to pull their mask down to hear.. It's the most bizarre, idiotic behaviour I've seen..

I wandered into current affairs like a fool and now my heart is broken.

Back to the safety of wherers.

• Advertisement

I was in the doctors office yesterday and the only other patient in the waiting room pulled down his mask to answer anytime a nurse or receptionist spoke to him. I was silently pleading with them to tell him to cop the feck on but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I was raging, but the visit did him good and he needed it so didn't go off on one. I expected better, though. These are nurses! I won't be leaving the sitting room door next week. I should be able to toddle off elsewhere and feel he's safe in their care but I clearly can't even trust health professionals. I sometimes feel like I'm fighting a war to keep him safe. A war against stupid.

That reminds me of a totally separate incident but similar.

When I was pregnant and getting bloods done, some of the midwives didn't wear gloves, this always bothered me (but lots of things bother me, so it's hard to judge when I'm being a basket case)

However this time a woman infront of me said to the midwife to put on gloves, so I got brave and asked for gloves too.

Well I had to return for further bloods an hour later (my pregnancy was fun) I got a different midwife and when she picked up my file there was a post it with "gloves" scrawled across it....she asks me what's that about. I'm absolutely mortified and explain I requested gloves be worn on the blood draw, she's flabbergasted that I even had to request it.

I don't know, I think maybe as it's everyday to them , they become desensitized to what we see as risks.

But yeah it's shocking that they even touched their mask nevermind lower it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I have lost count of the amount of people that seem to need to pull their mask down to hear.. It's the most bizarre, idiotic behaviour I've seen..

They may have hearing problems.

I wear hearing aids and the masks are an absolute disaster. I try to speak at a volume I need people to reply to me at, I also lip read . So them lowering the masks might be a subconscious thing .

I don't know.

That reminds me of a totally separate incident but similar.

When I was pregnant and getting bloods done, some of the midwives didn't wear gloves, this always bothered me (but lots of things bother me, so it's hard to judge when I'm being a basket case)

However this time a woman infront of me said to the midwife to put on gloves, so I got brave and asked for gloves too.

Well I had to return for further bloods an hour later (my pregnancy was fun) I got a different midwife and when she picked up my file there was a post it with "gloves" scrawled across it....she asks me what's that about. I'm absolutely mortified and explain I requested gloves be worn on the blood draw, she's flabbergasted that I even had to request it.

I don't know, I think maybe as it's everyday to them , they become desensitized to what we see as risks.

But yeah it's shocking that they even touched their mask nevermind lower it.

I'd already discussed with them that they'd need to shout and to not be embarrassed as he usually lip reads. I think she just found it exasperating to have to shout and keep repeating herself. Try living with it love! 'Its so he can lip read' says she. 'That's nice, so he can know what you were saying to him when you infected him with a deadly virus? Put it back on, please' was my response. She threw me some look. They switched to visors but I won't allow that next time either. Visors are shown to actually increase the viral load transmitted from an infected person to someone sitting below them. I was happy enough with them when they were just sitting facing him but when they were leaving the stood over him to say goodbye. Its masks or nothing next week and I'll have no qualms at all about showing them the door if they wont adhere to safety protocols round my Dad. They do know better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

They may have hearing problems.

I wear hearing aids and the masks are an absolute disaster. I try to speak at a volume I need people to reply to me at, I also lip read . So them lowering the masks might be a subconscious thing .

I don't know.

Oh I absolutely allow for difficulties people may have, I know these folk, there is no earthly reason for it.. It does honestly seem like some form of reflex

• Advertisement

I find it very difficult to communicate with a mask on. It isn't just because the other person is wearing one but also because I am. I can't quite explain it but initially it feels disorientating and a bit, I don't know, anxiety inducing or something.

I despise them. Still. I'll continue until they are no longer necessary because I know that right now they are.

I find it very difficult to communicate with a mask on. It isn't just because the other person is wearing one but also because I am. I can't quite explain it but initially it feels disorientating and a bit, I don't know, anxiety inducing or something.

I despise them. Still. I'll continue until they are no longer necessary because I know that right now they are.

They hide half our faces and that must be very disconcerting for people who rely heavily on non-verbal communication, not just lip readers, but people who require the full range of verbal, non verbal and even subconscious communication. As I'm almost 100% verbal ( I guess I learned to filter out the non-verbal stuff years ago, as I can't interpret it accurately anyway) that side if it doesn't bother me, I actually find masks quite liberating in this regard , but I completely get why people hate them for this reason. There's no excuse for a health care professional behaving like that, though. She wouldn't pull a stunt like that in a surgical environment because it presents a potential danger to life due to infection. And it presents a danger to life for an 89 year old with heart disease too.

PJ Harvey for humpday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Dirty morning. 17C and 900 meters in fog/mist. Trying to summon up the courage to go walking.

Ooh pretty humid, I'd stay where the aircon is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

In bed, with a migraine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They hide half our faces and that must be very disconcerting for people who rely heavily on non-verbal communication, not just lip readers, but people who require the full range of verbal, non verbal and even subconscious communication. As I'm almost 100% verbal ( I guess I learned to filter out the non-verbal stuff years ago, as I can't interpret it accurately anyway) that side if it doesn't bother me, I actually find masks quite liberating in this regard , but I completely get why people hate them for this reason. There's no excuse for a health care professional behaving like that, though. She wouldn't pull a stunt like that in a surgical environment because it presents a potential danger to life due to infection. And it presents a danger to life for an 89 year old with heart disease too.

When I was in hospital, all the staff wore masks. Nurses, doctors, posters, cleaners etc. Patients did not.

Eyes became so expressive, and thinking back I do not remember masks. just people.

I keep one by the door but it is never needed in my splendid covid-free location. West Mayo is almost totally clear.

Three more hours then off til Friday evening. Trying not to clock watch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

Morning all,
    Kitchenside with toast and a big glass of OJ.
    Grem, enjoy your days off and have a good day one and all:)

I wandered into current affairs like a fool and now my heart is broken.

Back to the safety of wherers.

I check that and the covid place once a day. Then escape.... Duty done.

Off now to Life Below Zero. Even watching episodes twice as the scenery is sheer magic. Alaska and Arctic Circle here I come!

• Advertisement

Trying to haul myself out of bed here, gorgeous morning but I'm exhausted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Three more hours then off til Friday evening. Trying not to clock watch :o

One more hour... I'll clock watch for you :)

Home maybe a few beers and bed. Better half making lasagne later. Recovery mode engaged in 65 minutes

Oh definitely Sardic. A health care professional should wear their mask and especially when with a vulnerable person.

I communicate in more ways than verbal so it is awkward. Thank Gods I'm not a nurse :)

I am Coffee to Go side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Not sure why - whether it’s that it’s a Wednesday, or whether it’s because the weather is just perfectly wintery (snowy, but gorgeous to walk in when wearing the right fluffy hat), whether it’s the fluffy hat, or having got some work stuff off my plate last night, but I have a big happy head on me today.

Let’s see later, as it will be a late one in work, but, for now, all is right with the world. :)

Sitting watching a show, should be dead on my feet but not even close to sleepy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm tableside contemplating going out to shop for Christmas goodies and alcohol.

Mmmmm, alcohol. :pac:

Abed, fully dressed with hot water bottle and cat, trying to get warm. Not yet succeeding. Bitter cold … Not going further than the kitchen . ;)

I'm tableside contemplating going out to shop for Christmas goodies and alcohol.

Mmmmm, alcohol. :pac:

If you are in walking distance of a pub that's selling spiked coffees or mulled wine then you should get one of them :)

• Advertisement

BPD so heading under the covers.... The weather is..... amazing.....just awesome..
    stay warm and safe out there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement