Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your worst performing share pick.

Options
  • 01-12-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I'll start the ball rolling.
    I bought aryzta a few years back.
    A full 97 %loss to date.
    Can anyone better that ??:):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

richie123 wrote: »
    A full 97 %loss to date.

Fairly impressive, best I can do is Luckin Coffee, 93% loss ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

TAW/A40

Not the only one on this forum to lose 100% on that disaster! Had plenty of opportunities s to get out but kept faith in what was being said by the company and opinions given by believers in the company.

Lesson learnt, take advice but at the end of the day DYOR!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AIB
    Anglo
    PTSB
    BoI - we patted each other's backs as we paid 10 euro for them, years later a friend paid 10 cent

Glanbia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Flybe

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Timmaay wrote: »
    Fairly impressive, best I can do is Luckin Coffee, 93% loss ha.

Best thing about buying shares Is you don't have to sell so my loss isn't realized..when it hit 97 % of a loss I bought more ..I have some hope of getting it back maybe I'm mad !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

BOI, AIB and Anglo. My trio of investments from Hell back in my early investing days. Older and wiser (I think) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Nio so far. Bought at 50 USD and then added a little more at 45 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I lost ~50% on snapchat a few years ago, it was when I started to dabble in day trading, while the percentage was not huge I lost about €15k which really hit my strategy for 6 as I just started out and lost a lot of my initial investment.

I thought I was buying at $13 a share but ended up buying at the peak which was around $20. It was a hard lesson in setting limit orders correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

This year I lost 38%-40% on a biotechplay - RGLS - my own fault I missed the news I was waiting for to exit the swing trade and would have left with 30% positive had I looked properly and realised it was what I was waiting for. Was my smallest play at the time thankfully.

Down 25% currently on Lansdowne Oil and Gas and this is definitely my biggest figure loss, first time I've lost over 1k in one stock in the same year. Also in the same boat I'm break even on Providence Resources but was in the profit at 85% gain up to Monday.

cronos wrote: »
    Nio so far. Bought at 50 USD and then added a little more at 45 yesterday.

Yes but in 10 years time it'll be a very different story.hold on to them.I will stay investing in electric car industry.
    I missed Tesla but there will be a big pullback there yet and I hope to get in when that happens

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    BOI, AIB and Anglo. My trio of investments from Hell back in my early investing days. Older and wiser (I think) now.

Aib and boi are still in play did you sell out ?
    I never sell at a loss maybe I'm wrong..
    I go all out might as well lose it all and chance it

Kilboor wrote: »
    This year I lost 38%-40% on a biotechplay - RGLS - my own fault I missed the news I was waiting for to exit the swing trade and would have left with 30% positive had I looked properly and realised it was what I was waiting for. Was my smallest play at the time thankfully.

Down 25% currently on Lansdowne Oil and Gas and this is definitely my biggest figure loss, first time I've lost over 1k in one stock in the same year. Also in the same boat I'm break even on Providence Resources but was in the profit at 85% gain up to Monday.

I think oil and gas companies are a good bet now with the rollout of the vaccine and world getting back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I think oil and gas companies are a good bet now with the rollout of the vaccine and world getting back to normal

I can see a recovery in oil prices next year definitely. Medium term it could be argued that both Oil and Tobacco companies are undervalued right now. Even Tullow oil is starting to make a recovery.

I'm happy to hold my oil plays

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Aib and boi are still in play did you sell out ?
    I never sell at a loss maybe I'm wrong..
    I go all out might as well lose it all and chance it

Well AIB was nationalised so I lost a fair wedge then. I eventually sold my tiny remnant position in BOI to offset CGT. Anglo was of course, a write-off. I now have a very small position again in AIB & BOI but only since early Nov, so watching them closely this time, lol. Once is enough to be closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

2007, aged 11, my dad used to always be checking the stocks on teletext. Naturally I wondered what it was all about. Bought in a parent's name with €1500 spread over 5 stocks, three of them being AIB, BoI, and Anglo. I'll always remember my dad's line, the banks will always do well. Now mid-20s I think it was a valuable experience to get with a small amount in the scheme of things.

Lesson banked (pun intended) early, now to use that knowledge for the next 50 years. DYOR, and don't trust the hot stocks always. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

NMC health. Very small holdings, but it went to 0% ��

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Mine would be Kalytera therapeutics, not sure what is going on with them last I heard they were getting rid of the auditors, always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Eircom, my mother's bought some back in the day. Scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I have owned a lot that went to zero. I even donated some during the week after closing out of an account :)

I haven't lost a fortune but I have learnt a lot of valuable lessons. The main one is that I don't invest in areas that I don't understand (Oil Stocks in this case) and I'm far better off just owning the market S&P 500 or the total market.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

crushproof wrote: »
    TAW/A40

Not the only one on this forum to lose 100% on that disaster! Had plenty of opportunities s to get out but kept faith in what was being said by the company and opinions given by believers in the company.

Lesson learnt, take advice but at the end of the day DYOR!!

Same, still stings a bit. My lesson learnt was the eggs in a basket one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

cefh17 wrote: »
    Same, still stings a bit. My lesson learnt was the eggs in a basket one :p

What's annoying is it still appears on my Degiro portfolio, just go away please.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

crushproof wrote: »
    What's annoying is it still appears on my Degiro portfolio, just go away please.

Same as the Cowan shares awarded (which were recently hush sold to people who magically are the same ones who got Taw/A40 for cents on the dollar).

Can you ask Degrio to remove shares off of an account, I don't know what the delay is? I know it sounds stupid but it's annoying seeing them there everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Meeoow wrote: »
    Eircom, my mother's bought some back in the day. Scam.

Same. Don't even know where they are these days actually. I remember they became vodafone shares or something but the letters stopped coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

Hertz....
    Bought at $2:20 sold at $1.14
    To be fair a total punt when it looked like it might go bankrupt...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A full 97 %loss to date.

Banco espirito ( portugese bank ), 100% loss as it folded in 2015 , 564 euro ( small punt ) of a loss , thing still showing up on my holdings for some reason , cant delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

cefh17 wrote: »
    Same as the Cowan shares awarded (which were recently hush sold to people who magically are the same ones who got Taw/A40 for cents on the dollar).

Can you ask Degrio to remove shares off of an account, I don't know what the delay is? I know it sounds stupid but it's annoying seeing them there everyday

On the account I just closed you had to donate the shares to get rid of them otherwise they just stayed in the account. Not sure if you can do that on Degiro but it might be worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Wirecard. bought at 192 EUR...now trading at ~0.50. I'll actually lose money if i sell the shares i hold because of trading fees.

b*stards

I was even in profit for a while.

99.73% loss

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

my biggest ever gain on a stock was Groupon back in 2013 , $25 k in one day , i subsequently lost $8 k on it in the following year , never went near it since as its a zombie company effectively

Tesla has made me a lot this year , i sold most of it when it hit $600 the other day but bought back in again yesterday @ $550

bank of ireland made me a lot in 2013 but ive never made a bean on it until this year again as i got out post brexit and only observed it

i made great money on kerry and glanbia from 2009 to 2013 but got out , should have kept kerry , also regret never getting into kingspan , the best ran company on the ISEQ

FB has always been a good one , ive never done well on Apple , trading Apple is pointless , as jim cramer says , just own it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

The common trend so far seems to be that the main losses are shares bought when we were younger and inexperienced, and it was a gamble that didn’t pay off, rather than investing based on research and data.
    That’s the key lesson.

This year will be my biggest % gain, and yet I was heavily negative in early April, but stuck to the strategy of investing every month irrespective. That’s my big learning this year. Did the same in 08-11.

As for losses, I had a LOT of options in a past employer that covid sank unfortunately. None of the outstanding shares had vested or could be sold so I never counted them until I had control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

permanent tsb, bank of Ireland and Eircom.

Advertisement