Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your worst performing share pick.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Same here. I am done considerably as well. But I am holding till the end of the year anyways. What about you?

Almost FOMO'd into this when there was some top analyst saying in 10 years it'd be looked back on as the Netflix of live sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rather than a specific stock for me . The AIM index for me is just so frustrating with very little volume the stocks just move in any direction.

An example of this is 4D . Although i will keep the faith.

Think part of the issues with AIM & volume is alot of the shares are owned by founders/management teams and safe investment funds who between them dont trade or sell out alot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

neris wrote: »
    Small amount of RBS/Natwest shares from years ago down close on 60% and would cost more to get rid of then theyre worth. Raven a British company that owns warehouses in Russia down 40% on their ordinary shares since last year after been at break even in early 2020.
    Pussyhands wrote: »
    Almost FOMO'd into this when there was some top analyst saying in 10 years it'd be looked back on as the Netflix of live sports.

I’m down €600 myself here. I’ll let it ride it out for the rest of the year and see where it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Made a right mess of GME in February. Bought a dip and made a few hundred. Started to think I was Warren Buffett. Went back in and bought @ $90. Did it a 8:55pm one evening. Stupid decision. The next day it tanked completely. I was on a work call watching the red line go almost vertically. People talking to me about pointless ****e on the call and I'm watching thousands disappear with my head in my hands.

Thought "f**k it, I'll stay in and see what happens". It kept going down. Hit around $50 that day and again, at 8:55, I panicked and sold. That night Robinhood took off the trading restrictions and it bounced the next day to almost $90 and a month later went to $300 again. I made some money back second time around but lost around €1,500 altogether. Learned some hard lessons.

1. Don't panic buy
    2. Don't panic sell
    3. What was the point in selling GME at that point and crystallising the loss? It was never going to go much less than $50 and I lost the chance to use the loss to offset CGT
    4. Don't buy GME for any price above $40. It's pure gambling because it's clearly a bubble.

Thankfully, the rest of my portfolio has done well in the last month (BOI and Tesla particularly) so I'm only down around 3% overall whereas that was 20% at one stage.

A hard way to learn but if you're gonna be stupid and make all the basic errors, you're gonna lose money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Started properly investing around 2 months ago, with Nasdaq at it's peak! Think I'm doing relatively well to do only down 10% all things considered. Gains in Crypto have offset any losses in stock market.

Biggest losers FLNT down 35% and FRX down the same. Will look to get out of FLNT if it bounces up near $5. Think I'll keep FRX for the long haul and hope that it takes off next year.

My only other investment prior to this year went horribly wrong. Bought into company share scheme around 2016. Was pretty green to investing at the time. Share SP had tumbled from high of $100 in 2015 down to $45 when I joined the company. Bought in a few months later at $25 thinking it couldn't get any lower. Bought in the following year at $14. Doubled down again the following year at $2.50 thinking it was finally going to turn around! Anyways, we filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year and lost the lot. Lesson learned - don't believe management waffle, take a step back and don't try chasing losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Fubotv for me. I’m down 51% with it! It was been pushed a lot by the Atlas crew so it clearly was a pump and dump stock! Lesson learnt though as I didn’t do enough DD before investing in this one and to avoid anything been pushed by the Atlas folks!

What do people find best to use as a means of gathering DD on companies? Can be difficult to get a feeling for an investment by trawling through earnings reports, looking for catalysts, trying to find competitive moat etc. Is there much useful information on the likes of Atlas Discord or do you find a lot of waffle on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭theboringfox

BoI shares back in the boom. I don't even know where they are held now. Few thousand worth at time. Cents now no doubt. I expect my cost me more to sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Fubotv for me. I’m down 51% with it! It was been pushed a lot by the Atlas crew so it clearly was a pump and dump stock! Lesson learnt though as I didn’t do enough DD before investing in this one and to avoid anything been pushed by the Atlas folks!

Or be prepared to dump it at the right time. But I'm not into that approach either.

Advertisement