Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,031 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

by the way, Conor Murray is contracted till June 2022... so not sure why hes been added to the list of players whos contracts are up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Niallof9 wrote: »
    of course you can. what you seem unable to do is stick to the point. did i say anything about the value of the deal.

You did actually, yes:
    Even if its not a selection thing I have no evidence, and your rebuttal probably using these two is flimsy at best , how is that good for anybody? The player himself, the squad, the finances, the competing player.

Anyways, your larger point seems to be about the concept of centrally contracted players, so fair enough. (And am really gonna leave it there this time...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Burns out, Harry Byrne in; per Murray Kinsella

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1333721055056310274?s=19

I would like Ross to start and Harry to come off the bench.

Of course it will be Sexton starting and Ross on the bench. Yawn

Eric O'Sullivan might even make the bench this wk though!

Predicted team
    Stockdale; Keenan, Henshaw, Aki, Earls; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Herring, Porter; Henderson, Ryan; CJ, Connors, Dorris.
    Reps: Kelleher, Beahlam, Ryan, Roux, PO'M, JGP, RByrne, Daly

Viable alternative team that could have been selected or even for Georgia
    (small bit of foresight required at the start by Farrell)
    Daly; Conway, Henshaw, Frawley, Stockdale; RByrne, JGP; O'Sullivan, Kelleher, Porter; Henderson, Ryan; PO'M, Connors, Dorris
    Reps: Heffernan, Buckley, Beahlam, Baird, Wycherley, Casey, HByrne, Lowry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

aloooof wrote: »
    You did actually, yes:

Anyways, your larger point seems to be about the concept of centrally contracted players, so fair enough. (And am really gonna leave it there this time...)

yeah agreed. I'm done as some of you are incapable of not being anal about it and just offering a counterpoint that isn't one of a pedant. all hail the central deal, the leaders know best. 2023 here we come. the period between 2018-2023 shall never be spoken about and didn't happen.

the reality seems this could be the shift that i'm talking about if the deals aren't replaced.

yeah agreed. I'm done as some of you are incapable of not being anal about it and just offering a counterpoint that isn't one of a pedant. all hail the central deal, the leaders know best. 2023 here we come. the period between 2018-2023 shall never be spoken about and didn't happen.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

such a child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I would like Ross to start and Harry to come off the bench.

Of course it will be Sexton starting and Ross on the bench. Yawn

Eric O'Sullivan might even make the bench this wk though!

Predicted team
    Stockdale; Keenan, Henshaw, Aki, Earls; Sexton, Murray; Healy, Herring, Porter; Henderson, Ryan; CJ, Connors, Dorris.
    Reps: Kelleher, Beahlam, Ryan, Roux, PO'M, JGP, RByrne, Daly

Viable alternative team that could have been selected or even for Georgia
    (small bit of foresight required at the start by Farrell)
    Daly; Conway, Henshaw, Frawley, Stockdale; RByrne, JGP; O'Sullivan, Kelleher, Porter; Henderson, Ryan; PO'M, Connors, Dorris
    Reps: Heffernan, Buckley, Beahlam, Baird, Wycherley, Casey, HByrne, Lowry.

If we start Ross and bring Harry off the bench, we lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

sydthebeat wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

such a child

saids the lad calling people schizophrenics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Not fond of Ross starting... But this is a nothing game at the same time so I'd rather this be his last chance saloon than an important 6N match

If we start Ross and bring Harry off the bench, we lose.

Maybe!
    But so what really?

We could well loose with Sexton starting.

saids the pleb calling people schizophrenics.

well you argue one way... and then post this crap:
    all hail the central deal, the leaders know best

what else would you call it....

• Advertisement

Not fond of Ross starting... But this is a nothing game at the same time so I'd rather this be his last chance saloon than an important 6N match

A last opportunity for him to impress before we move on would be fair enough, I suppose.

Connors is out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wonder could we see Sexton start with Harry Byrne on the bench? Seems unlikely tho.

if sexton is 90%, he starts

at this stage i think Burns has passed out Ross as sextons back up

Maybe!
    But so what really?

We could well loose with Sexton starting.

While I get what you're saying - and I don't disagree about Sexton - if we lose this, I'd say confidence will be very, very low going into the Six Nations. And we will get zero benefit from starting Ross because we can already see that he isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I assume Sexton will be back, but if not I'd start Harry before I'd start Ross tbh. At this point, giving starts to Ross is a waste of game time.

And for jaysis' sake give a start to someone other than Porter. And give EOS a run too.

Edit: the release says H Byrne and EOS will 'train with' the squad this week. That probably means they're not in line for selection.
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/12/01/ireland-squad-update-burns-ruled-out-of-scotland-fixture/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

A last opportunity for him to impress before we move on would be fair enough, I suppose.

Connors is out.

Injury?

I assume Sexton will be back, but if not I'd start Harry before I'd start Ross tbh. At this point, giving starts to Ross is a waste of game time.

And for jaysis' sake give a start to someone other than Porter. And give EOS a run too.

Edit: the release says H Byrne and EOS will 'train with' the squad this week. That probably means they're not in line for selection.
    https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/12/01/ireland-squad-update-burns-ruled-out-of-scotland-fixture/

Aye, that's the phrase they used about EOS last week as well. They're taking a look at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Still waiting for people like you to argue the opposite viewpoint. Why are central deals not a negative thing? How does having 11-13 guys on star deals suit a 35 man quad game where form and injury are wildly oscillating. As i said Hayes was offered one. Best (you could argue he was done after the NZ game). Toner got one when clearly waning.

Furlong, Henderson, Stander, Ringrose, Stockdale, James Ryan are now on them. Lets say they cut the others how is that an ideal situation going forward? who gets the stamp of approval for the star deals?

You said you had loads of examples, please provide. If you can't then admit you are talking poo and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Yeah i hold my hand up in this regard. I've been proven wrong. The positives totally outweighed the negatives. I just thought the players were better than they were. His failure to adapt also was frustrating. But it was all in the detail.

The players he had got Ireland to first in the world, I think asking them to beat Japan isn’t asking that much of them or at least showing some pride against NZL instead of just rolling over and having their tummy tickled.

It wasn’t the lack of ability that was disheartening it was the lack of heart shown or desire, it was the equivalent of having a plan until you are punched in the face, all you had to do was smash a player and the entire team would roll over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Still waiting for people like you to argue the opposite viewpoint. Why are central deals not a negative thing? How does having 11-13 guys on star deals suit a 35 man quad game where form and injury are wildly oscillating. As i said Hayes was offered one. Best (you could argue he was done after the NZ game). Toner got one when clearly waning.

Furlong, Henderson, Stander, Ringrose, Stockdale, James Ryan are now on them. Lets say they cut the others how is that an ideal situation going forward? who gets the stamp of approval for the star deals?

Lets tease out your theory that doing away with central contracts is the best idea. Bear with me because I have no idea what money these guys get paid so I will be using figures just as an example to make my point.

Say the guys in bold were all offered provincial deals for 3 or 4 years of €200k pa. that would be topped up by performance bonuses and appearances for Ireland. That takes them to €500k pa. Now obviously loss of form or injury hits them in the pocket. Along comes a club from France, UK or Japan and says here is a contract for €500k pa guaranteed for 3 years. What would you do?

I don't know the marital/family status of any of the guys in bold but if they have a wife/partner and kids.... Their career is 10 to 15 years at best and it could end in a split second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

One poster has been given a holiday from the forum. Folks please read the charter and remember that we welcome constructive debate and discussion, but posts that are antagonistic, condescending, dismissive or insulting are not welcome. Attack the post, not the poster. Thanks.

While I get what you're saying - and I don't disagree about Sexton - if we lose this, I'd say confidence will be very, very low going into the Six Nations. And we will get zero benefit from starting Ross because we can already see that he isn't the answer.

Rome wasnt built in a day!
    Sticking with Sexton has made it all the more difficult on Ireland to start the rebuild.
    But we already new Ross was never THE answer.

We should have already blooded Harry this autumn.
    If Sexton gets injured who starts at 10 in 6N? It's either Burns or RByrne. So they should start Byrne v Scotland.

Confidence is very low.
    Sexton, Healy & Earls should not have been playing in this Autumn thing at all. But here we are looking for a confidence kick instead of real rebuilding.

Incorrect. 2015 we had a completely different game plan and a small squad of circa 20 players. After that it was light. Hence why picking up those injuries including one of the best players in the World meant we didn't really have a replacement. Sexton would have been a huge loss to any team as he was in his peak. His loss with POC etc we just couldn't take. Remember in 2015 we won the 6 nations and went in full of confidence. The group stage we walked it.

If Madigan had knocked over that kick I think we would have won that game.

2019 the team was completely shot of confidence going into the competition and never really played well. Maybe it was Schmidt announcing he was leaving, who knows.

Two completely different situations.

It wasn’t because I said in 2015 that the loss was deeper than just the players we lost but of course the blame was put all on the injuries and the real problem was never fixed, hence why when all those players were back fit for 2019 the same issues cropped up.

In 2015 we actually had some guts, in 2019 that was one of the most gutless Irish teams in history, no heart, no passion, no desire they had nothing inside them, they gave up the NZL game before a ball was kicked, you could see it in their body language.

I do believe Schmidt announcing he was leaving had an impact because we have seen it before have really bad effects on teams, Tony Mcgahan with Munster, topped the Heineken cup standings, announced he was leaving, ducked up our greatest chance in years to win a European cup, got smashed by 30+ points in the magners league SF. Someone like Harry redknapp at Spurs announced he was leaving, was 9 points clear in 3rd in the premier league and by the end of the season they failed to even make the top 4 and missed out on the champions league.

It can’t be a coincidence because the Irish performances were extremely sloppy and average in no time at all and the common denominator was that incident.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    It wasn’t because I said in 2015 that the loss was deeper than just the players we lost but of course the blame was put all on the injuries and the real problem was never fixed, hence why when all those players were back fit for 2019 the same issues cropped up.

In 2015 we actually had some guts, in 2019 that was one of the most gutless Irish teams in history, no heart, no passion, no desire they had nothing inside them, they gave up the NZL game before a ball was kicked, you could see it in their body language.

I do believe Schmidt announcing he was leaving had an impact because we have seen it before have really bad effects on teams, Tony Mcgahan with Munster, topped the Heineken cup standings, announced he was leaving, ducked up our greatest chance in years to win a European cup, got smashed by 30+ points in the magners league SF. Someone like Harry redknapp at Spurs announced he was leaving, was 9 points clear in 3rd in the premier league and by the end of the season they failed to even make the top 4 and missed out on the champions league.

It can’t be a coincidence because the Irish performances were extremely sloppy and average in no time at all and the common denominator was that incident.

Ireland changed the style of play from 2015 to 2019. It was a complete change. Yes we had a large number of the same players but why wouldn't we? bar 1-2 most of them where still young enough to play in a WC, yes out of form.

Im not getting into a back/forward but Joe changed a huge amount between 2015 to 2019 to try win but we just peaked a year early and everyone had picked apart our game style. In reality if Joe was still in charge he would need to revert back to Ireland 2015 now to win. That is the style England are using now. It is funny to listen to the English press which ridiculed Ireland and Joe for that style and now talking about the greta kicking game and how May is so good in the air etc. Exact same thing as Ireland did in 2014/15

Sticking with Sexton has made it all the more difficult on Ireland to start the rebuild.

If Sexton gets injured who starts at 10 in 6N? It's either Burns or RByrne. So they should start Byrne v Scotland.

Confidence is very low.
    Sexton, Healy & Earls should not have been playing in this Autumn thing at all. But here we are looking for a confidence kick instead of real rebuilding.

Harry Byrne has how many starts to his name? we rushed PJ into a big game and it set him back a few seasons.

Burns has done well so far when he has been on the pitch and looks a good option. At this stage R Byrne and Carty should be catapulted from the squad, we are just wasting valuable time and caps. Maybe bring in Healy from Munster as well.

Sexton will be finished at the end of season so we still need him around the squad to get his experience into the players.

Ireland changed the style of play from 2015 to 2019. It was a complete change. Yes we had a large number of the same players but why wouldn't we? bar 1-2 most of them where still young enough to play in a WC, yes out of form.

Im not getting into a back/forward but Joe changed a huge amount between 2015 to 2019 to try win but we just peaked a year early and everyone had picked apart our game style. In reality if Joe was still in charge he would need to revert back to Ireland 2015 now to win. That is the style England are using now. It is funny to listen to the English press which ridiculed Ireland and Joe for that style and now talking about the greta kicking game and how May is so good in the air etc. Exact same thing as Ireland did in 2014/15

He did change alot and was on course to achieving our best ever place at a RWC, but every top coach knows you can never rest on your laurels you have to always keep improving but instead of improving Ireland stayed exactly where they were and that was the problem. What wasnt fixed was the performance anxiety, in 2019 the way we shat the bed was a carbon copy of 2015 the only difference was the 2015 team had enough guts to stage a comeback. With England it looks great now but I guarentee you if they dont add something different to their game they will get found out soon enough, happened in 2018 and will happen again if they arent careful. England like France are the bright shiny object right now so every lauds them, that will change once results go the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Lets tease out your theory that doing away with central contracts is the best idea. Bear with me because I have no idea what money these guys get paid so I will be using figures just as an example to make my point.

Say the guys in bold were all offered provincial deals for 3 or 4 years of €200k pa. that would be topped up by performance bonuses and appearances for Ireland. That takes them to €500k pa. Now obviously loss of form or injury hits them in the pocket. Along comes a club from France, UK or Japan and says here is a contract for €500k pa guaranteed for 3 years. What would you do?

I don't know the marital/family status of any of the guys in bold but if they have a wife/partner and kids.... Their career is 10 to 15 years at best and it could end in a split second.

Surely that theoretical French team could make that offer regardless. Even if the Irish player was receiving the full value of central money in your scenario, he'd be weighing a guaranteed salary vs a variable one.

I think the IRFU should trust that players will want to stay at successful clubs and compete for an Irish jersey. If players choose to go overseas knowing the current selection restrictions, good luck to them.

Confidence is very low.

Having only 4 teams AND in a currently weak league really does delay or even damage the development of players in key positions like 10 where it's key to get proper game-running experience of games with proper intensity (not what the pro 14 offers right now).

The French have 3 international out-halves in their squad, the same age as Harry Byrne thereabouts, (N'tamack is younger) having gotten consistent proper tough experience in Top 14 to see if they have "it" or not

Of course the provinces don't really want to hand the big European games (few enough anyway) to provide experience to young 10's unless forced by injury so what is the solution when the "bore 14" games don't provide enough of a step up?

so what's the solution to get 10's the proper experience quicker to be trusted to step up to international level then?

Ross Byrne should be demoted below his brother at Leinster if international 10 is a concern - will he be?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    Having only 4 teams in a currently weak league really does delay or even damage the development of players in key positions like 10 where it's key to get proper game-running experience of games with proper intensity (not what the pro 14 offers right now).

The French have 3 international out-halves in their squad, the same age as Harry Byrne thereabouts, (N'tamack is younger) having gotten consistent proper tough experience in Top 14 to see if they have "it" or not

Of course the provinces don't really want to hand the big European games to provide experience to young 10's unless forced by injury so what is the solution when the "bore 14" games don't provide enough of a step up?

so what's the solution to get 10's the proper experience quicker to be trusted to step up to international level then?

Ross Byrne should be demoted below his brother at Leinster if international 10 is a concern - will he be?

The introduction of the SA teams hopefully will make the league stronger.

Why would you throw out Ross Byrne at club level? his two real chances have come against England in twickers. He could be a quality 10 for Leinster in Pro14 and HC for years.

We can't compare ourselves to the French or English. They have a huge amount of players to pick from which we don't have, plus a more competitive league. We have benefits and they have benefits. At the moment we just need some more competitive games in Pro14

With the amount of players we have available we should not be throwing good club players away at the drop of a hat

Advertisement