Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Towns and Cities gonna be a SH~~IT show tomorrow?

Options
  • 01-12-2020 2:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

What do you reckon with everything opening up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

No it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Im thinking its gonna packed

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They'll be a good few in Penney's and people will be having meltdowns online saying just think of the numbers in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I won't be going anywhere near a city or large town for a few days! It's great that it's all opening up again and people can get back to some semblance of... normality (ugh), but the biggest problem with the current lifting is the insistence that it's now up to the people to police themselves, which people don't really have a great track record of.

Yes, I know, I'm not saying it's the vast majority, but there's a sizeable chunk of the population who unfortunately make up the above "rule breakers". I hope it doesn't happen*, but I can see lockdown again in January.

*Actually, i'm enjoying lockdown so can't say I'm being totally honest when saying that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I won't be going anywhere near a city or large town for a few days! It's great that it's all opening up again and people can get back to some semblance of... normality (ugh), but the biggest problem with the current lifting is the insistence that it's now up to the people to police themselves, which people don't really have a great track record of.

Yes, I know, I'm not saying it's the vast majority, but there's a sizeable chunk of the population who unfortunately make up the above "rule breakers". I hope it doesn't happen*, but I can see lockdown again in January.

*Actually, i'm enjoying lockdown so can't say I'm being totally honest when saying that...

Wise words. I am staying safe out here in my solitary outpost. It will be sheer pandemonium out there. ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sasta le wrote: »
    What do you reckon with everything opening up

Well technically it is tomorrow so what you going to do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Naggin in the pocket and just dive in.

The sheeple are going to lose their sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

i think reopening combined with child benefit day will see utter mayhem in some shops. theres queues already for penneys in some places.....

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    i think reopening combined with child benefit day will see utter mayhem in some shops. theres queues already for penneys in some places.....

I actually just don't get it.....

Penny's seams to be the only thing needed even if a nuke was going to be dropped they'd be running to penny's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

All these people queueing for pennys at 4am just to buy what? Socks? T-shirt?

People are idiots

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

screamer wrote: »

People on lower incomes may need clothes underwear bedding etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I actually just don't get it.....

Penny's seams to be the only thing needed even if a nuke was going to be dropped they'd be running to penny's

i think its the dopamine hit they get from getting chape clothes and impulse buying..... i don't get it either TBH but then i'd rarely set foot in penneys anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

sasta le wrote: »
    People on lower incomes may need clothes underwear bedding etc

That’s right. Us middle income households go around starkers and sleep on floors

That’s right. Us middle income households go around starkers and sleep on floors

Few that's great to know.... Way it should be....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

PsychoPete wrote: »

People are idiots

I can only assume they are seeking fame trying to be on TV or in the papers, no other reasonable explanation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I can only assume they are seeking fame trying to be on TV or in the papers, no other reasonable explanation.
    Idiocy? Well not necessarily complete stupidity, but the herd in action in those more susceptible to that. EG the buying bog roll in bulk in the early stages of this. I saw a few get drawn into that panic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Idiocy? Well not necessarily complete stupidity, but the herd in action in those more susceptible to that. EG the buying bog roll in bulk in the early stages of this. I saw a few get drawn into that panic.

There is a scene in a Thomas Hardy novel where a badly trained sheep dog drives one sheep over a cliff and they all follow....

Fit the characters ...;)

I only ever was in Penney's once. In Killarney when the Dealz opposite ran out of cheap Christmas tree lights. . A very swift purchase

It will be on the news; folk barely able to walk for the weight of their shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I think it was a genius idea to create 6 weeks of pent up demand three weeks before Christmas. I hope whomevers brainfart of an idea it was gets a bad case of Montezuma's revenge the first restaurant meal they have. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Madness. Heard one 'woman' on the radio going into Pennys to pick up 12 sets of pajamas for family and how she feels all 'christmassy' now.
    So much for the 'Fast Fashion' movement that came up during the 2 lockdowns.

Just order stuff online. Still loads of time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

honestly great to see some life around the town, but yes people will go mad i suspect, and yes we will be back in lockdown by January

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Who will be in these shops going mental? People buying stuff for their kids for Xmas is all I can think of, and I suppose they don't have a choice really.
    I reckon numbers will be through the roof in a few weeks and hello lockdown no 3.

I passed a big queue of cars heading into Galway this morning. Definitely people out shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

People are idiots

Have these people never heard of the fúcking internet?

How have pennys managed to convince an entire generation that there's no other way of getting your hands on poorly made, ill fitting, sweatshop crap?

Whoever does their marketing is an absolute genius!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Madness. Heard one 'woman' on the radio going into Pennys to pick up 12 sets of pajamas for family and how she feels all 'christmassy' now.

People can be bright, or average or stupid, but the mob is always as dumb as rocks. Humans being social animals are prey to mob thinking, so when they hear that enough people are heading to the shops they'll follow like lemmings. Add in that most people like and are even slaves of sorts to the routines they've built up over their lives and this virus has massively disrupted that. I have found people, even most people not good with change, or they tend to react to change in a polarised fashion. In this pandemic you have those who will just "follow orders", the majority and those who will see control/conspiracy and won't, the minority. So a fixed point of sorts like Christmas and all the routines attached to it will bring out the low level panic to get back the normalcy of that fixed point in the middle of what is out of the norm that this pandemic has brought.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Penny's doesn't sell online and many people like to see a product in 'the flesh' so to speak before they buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Was listening to newstalk this morning and they were interviewing people outside pennys. One woman buying 12 pairs of pyjamas for family that staying for Christmas and some other woman buying lashes. You've all day and the rest of the week to buy these things, you don't need to be queueing at 4am for these things

Wibbs wrote: »
    People can be bright, or average or stupid, but the mob is always as dumb as rocks. Humans being social animals are prey to mob thinking, so when they hear that enough people are heading to the shops they'll follow like lemmings. Add in that most people like and are even slaves of sorts to the routines they've built up over their lives and this virus has massively disrupted that. I have found people, even most people not good with change, or they tend to react to change in a polarised fashion. In this pandemic you have those who will just "follow orders", the majority and those who will see control/conspiracy and won't, the minority. So a fixed point of sorts like Christmas and all the routines attached to it will bring out the low level panic to get back the normalcy of that fixed point in the middle of what is out of the norm that this pandemic has brought.

Someone who is usually wise told me that the lemming thing is inaccurate. a myth so I use " sheep" ….which are totally stoopid…. so your post fits. Sheep NEED leading. To have someone to think for them. To be docile and obedient.

Goats are different; the rebels! (I had sheep and a goat for years. it was an education..)

Fits your post well.. ;)

• Advertisement

Was listening to newstalk this morning and they were interviewing people outside pennys. One woman buying 12 pairs of pyjamas for family that staying for Christmas and some other woman buying lashes. You've all day and the rest of the week to buy these things, you don't need to be queueing at 4am for these things

One thing about that is, there are that many like her she actually will need to especially with that amount....

The dinner would want to be amazing

Advertisement