Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Boxing Thread (Dubois v Joyce & Jacobs v Rosado)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow, Joyce put on a show. Two really good fighters. They'll all be ducking Joyce after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

walshb wrote: »
    He quit...

I think that's what will be said. They said it about Kell Brook, they said it about Amir Khan, and they will say it about Dubois.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can't really argue with that. Very accurate with the jab, didn't allow DDD any kind of platform to land big shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

He quit...

Yep he was gassing and things weren't going his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

seems like Dubois doesn't have the heart to go through the trenches

quit after getting jabbed all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think that's what will be said. They said it about Kell Brook, they said it about Amir Khan, and they will say it about Dubois.

He absolutely did..

That is not necessarily a diss. Just he intentionally and clear headed decided I am done..and not necessarily due to being in real distress..

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

He quit...

TBF he could't see but yeah that's the harsh reality of this sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He was being beaten for me, but that shot finished his eye. Just took a knee because he couldn't see out of it.

Joyce either has a great poker face or a great engine looking at his breathing.

• Dubois seemed resigned early on in his corner that he wasn't going to be knocking Joyce out.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Usyk's path to a belt just got easier!

• Advertisement

Zookey123 wrote: »
    TBF he could't see but yeah that's the harsh reality of this sport.

I know his eye was troubling him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

BT having it level, or even a narrative that JJ only took control of the fight from the 7th onwards was very misleading imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Joyce's main problem is that it looks like he's punching through treacle, his hands have been unbelievably slow.
    With that said, while he was exactly lightening tonight, his hands looked quite a bit quicker, particularly his jab.

His accuracy was a lot better tonight too, and while I don't think he'll trouble the top guys, I have to say I was impressed. Definitely the best we've seen from Joyce so far !

Dubois fought well and is young. Providing that eye hasn't been damaged badly or anything he can come again. Seems to be improving every few fights, but just didn't have anything to bridge the level between Gorman and Joyce to have him ready for this.

MD1990 wrote: »
    seems like Dubois doesn't have the heart to go through the trenches

quit after getting jabbed all night.

I think his engine was the problem.

Fair play to Joe Joyce, I gave him no chance because of his lack of speed. But he took literally everything Dubois had to throw at him, and was still standing. Well done Joe.

Dubois has loads of time to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Coneygree wrote:
    Usyk's path to a belt just got easier!
    Yeah because they'll fight him rather than Joyce.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Joyce's main problem is that it looks like he's punching through treacle, his hands have been unbelievably slow.
    With that said, while he was exactly lightening tonight, his hands looked quite a bit quicker, particularly his jab.

His accuracy was a lot better tonight too, and while I don't think he'll trouble the top guys, I have to say I was impressed. Definitely the best we've seen from Joyce so far !

Dubois fought well and is young. Providing that eye hasn't been damaged badly or anything he can come again. Seems to be improving every few fights, but just didn't have anything to bridge the level between Gorman and Joyce to have him ready for this.

I was impressed by Joe's feet and movement.
    His hands are definitely slow but his jab is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Very poor performance from Dubois. Non existent defence all night, as well as quitting and not really having the power to hurt Joyce doesn't bode well for him.

Carl spot on..

Dubois quit. Didn’t have the heart to go on..

I have seen far far worse beatings and lads fighting to the end.

It was a very close fight..

eagle eye wrote: »

Usyk Battered JJ in the World Boxing Super series to be fair.
    I thin Usyk is more dangerous for a lot of big heavyweights.

• Advertisement

I never doubt a fighter's commitment but it was an odd end to the fight. I'd have expected he'd at least beat the count and go again for a Hail Mary.

Joyce's composure admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Carl spot on..

Dubois quit. Didn’t have the heart to go on..

I have seen far far worse beatings and lads fighting to the end.

It was a very close fight..

I take it all back about Carl he’s 100% right and he’s got the balls to say it like it is. That was a terrible quit. He was looking around at his corner with his good eye. Get up and swing, do something. Be knocked out, he’s been happy enough to ko turkeys himself who stood up to get knocked out.

eagle eye wrote: »

Nah I'd imagine Joshua vacates the WBO belt and Usyk and Joyce fight for it. Should be a complete clinic like the WBSS.

Carl spot on.. Dubois quit. Didn’t have the heart to go on..

Very significant point he made as well in that Dubois was probably ahead at the time when he took the knee. So he essentially finished the fight of his own volition.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Very poor performance from Dubois. Non existent defence all night, as well as quitting and not really having the power to hurt Joyce doesn't bode well for him.

I think Joyce is a tank though tbf, Excellent Chin.

I remember saying on Joyce's debut that he was already a cut above the Whyte's and Chisora's etc. I think just being big, strong and a good chin with an engine really goes a long way in HW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

No classic. Joyce working the jab but a bit ponderous for me. But he did exactly what it needed to do. Came through some punches and stuck to the gameplan.

Joyce is solid but he'll never set the world alight either. Dubois might rue this day, could haunt him. Can't be too critical though, that eye was nasty after the first few rounds. He could have a broken orbital there easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I think his engine was the problem.

He got frantic and panicky looking in the Kevin Johnson fight too. Wanted the ko but seemed taken aback by how tired he was getting on the latter rds.

Coneygree wrote: »
    I never doubt a fighter's commitment but it was an odd end to the fight. I'd have expected he'd at least beat the count and go again for a Hail Mary.

Joyce's composure admirable.

Let's be honest he didn't want to be knocked out.
    He can use the eye as an excuse.

Big Joe doesn't look like he was even fighting tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I will give DDD huge credit for facing the mike after quitting. That’s the first step back. Anyone up a level from British will fancy him now as his durability has come seriously under question. Not a mark on Joe for all of the quality hits he took.

Advertisement