Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Gillespy wrote: »
    In the real world, only a snob would turn his nose up at a Broughan trailer. Steward didn't invent the trailer you know so going around calling Irish manufacturers ''copycats'' makes no sense. Elitist nonsense.
    Most irish equipment is built for small stock farms, to a price that leaves them competitive to the local market for which some areas of components and finishing touches are scrimped on. Within such a market any new ideas are quickly copied so as to not let competitors get a leg up, am i missing something?
    If i wanted to be a machinery snob i'd post stuff like below more often, I can't help it if the peasantry disagree :pac:....
    534204.JPG
    534205.JPG
    534206.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Most irish equipment is built for small stock farms, to a price that leaves them competitive to the local market for which some areas of components and finishing touches are scrimped on. Within such a market any new ideas are quickly copied so as to not let competitors get a leg up, am i missing something?
    If i wanted to be a machinery snob i'd post stuff like below more often, I can't help it if the peasantry disagree :pac:....

Not as new as my two wheel barrow tyres I got today...

Do you take your shoes off before ya go into that Fendt / Massey combine ? :p

Nice machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

emaherx wrote: »
    Do you mean install some work lights?
    Fairly straightforward, just get some LED lamps, cable, a switch and an inline fuse and connect directly to battery. Its not the most elegant way to do it but with appropriate sized fuse it will be safe.

You only need a single core cable from battery + to the lamps + as you can connect the lamps - to chassis. Install fuse as close to battery as possible and switch where ever is convenient.

saw a report that every single tractor in uk that burnt out in 2019 had after market additional wiring from the battery and now insurance companies are telling people not to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

saw a report that every single tractor in uk that burnt out in 2019 had after market additional wiring from the battery and now insurance companies are telling people not to do it

Had they a fuse installed as close as possible to the battery though?

Connecting a few LED lights with a switch and fuse is not a fire risk, problem is lads taking short cuts. And I doubt very much every tractor fire for a year was caused by aftermarket lights. I've seen enough old tractors original wiring looms melt from nothing more than age with no after market lights.

I'd argue that yard bound loader is a much bigger safety risk being used in the dark with no lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tractors should come with a socket supplied from the battery as standard imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Always like those UK pics, just wouldn't like to be making the repayments though.

Anyone know how tight a slip clutch bolts should be? I just snugged them in as they are fairly small at 13mm.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Reggie. wrote:

Is there not a socket right beside the plug for the lights at the back and the same one in the cab for that job?

blue5000 wrote:
    Always like those UK pics, just wouldn't like to be making the repayments though.

It seems like some of the farms out here money is no object, amazing to see really

Reggie. wrote: »

this is what they are recommending. Wire it into a current system

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but I don't think a few LED's connected to the battery of an old skidsteer with no other working electrics could be described as overloaded battery terminals.

Existing systems on modern vehicles are often connected directly to battery terminals anyway. Older machines tends to be direct to starter which is essentially the same thing just the opposite end of the + battery lead. Connecting into existing systems is more likely to overload wiring looms not designed to have additional loads.

Is there not a socket right beside the plug for the lights at the back and the same one in the cab for that job?

There is in the dini but youd be surprised at what main brands dont

Reggie. wrote:
    There is in the dini but youd be surprised at what main brands dont

That's interesting, now that you mention it I haven't seen one of those plugs on any case or John Deere (maybe there is one somewhere just not right beside the light plug)

That's interesting, now that you mention it I haven't seen one of those plugs on any case or John Deere (maybe there is one somewhere just not right beside the light plug)

Very few brands have them in the cab either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone know how tight a slip clutch bolts should be? I just snugged them in as they are fairly small at 13mm.

Is it a slip clutch that’s part of a machine or just one incorporated into a PTO shaft?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is it a slip clutch that’s part of a machine or just one incorporated into a PTO shaft?

Part of the PTO shaft.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Part of the PTO shaft.

By right the generic ones should be readjusted for the machine they are fitted on I was told before.

The way I was thought was trial and error (tighten/loosen evenly until it slips under normal load) and keep all the springs equal length as it’s tightened or slackened.

After it slips under normal load tighten slightly by half a turn on each bolt. Readjust again if necessary. It’s a process that requires patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

How many amps would be recommended for a jump starter booster to start a tractor. Was looking at a sip 1600 amp with 450amp max cranking rate. I’ve no idea what’s required to start a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    How many amps would be recommended for a jump starter booster to start a tractor. Was looking at a sip 1600 amp with 450amp max cranking rate. I’ve no idea what’s required to start a tractor.

It depends on the size of the tractor and how flat the battery is. A medium sized 4 cylinder tractor would have a battery rated for anywhere between 700 and 1000 CCA, so if it was well flat that booster pack wouldn't be much good to you.

A truck booster pack would really be what you'd want, but at €300+ for one you'd be better off just buying a new battery!

Micheal H wrote: »
    It depends on the size of the tractor and how flat the battery is. A medium sized 4 cylinder tractor would have a battery rated for anywhere between 700 and 1000 CCA, so if it was well flat that booster pack wouldn't be much good to you.

A truck booster pack would really be what you'd want, but at €300+ for one you'd be better off just buying a new battery!

Ok. Thanks. I’ve delved a little deeper and am now looking at a sip 3000 rescue pack @€;270 on a Black Friday deal. Waddya reckon?

• Advertisement

Ok. Thanks. I’ve delved a little deeper and am now looking at a sip 3000 rescue pack @€;270 on a Black Friday deal. Waddya reckon?

It would be for when you leave the lights or radio on and flatten the battery.

If you have a lazy starter or poor compression it’s unlikely to work

It would be for when you leave the lights or radio on and flatten the battery.

So ideally something that starts after a couple of swings.

So ideally something that starts after a couple of swings.

Ideally.

It’s still a useful unit to have though, if you remember to keep it charged

Would be much cheaper to buy a high speed starter to remedy that situation and easier than messing about with boosters.

But a booster is handy for when you come out on a cold morning to discover your battery is on its last legs or just left something on over night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Is an Isuzu NQR 5.2 classed as a 3.5 or a 7.5 tonne lorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is an Isuzu NQR 5.2 classed as a 3.5 or a 7.5 tonne lorry?
    I think NQR's are classed as 7.5 tonne. I used to have a 01 lwb with a flat aluminium body/timber floor and it weighed 3700kgs when I had to get it weighed to tax it. The plate will say what the net and gross vehicle weight is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    I think NQR's are classed as 7.5 tonne. I used to have a 01 lwb with a flat aluminium body/timber floor and it weighed 3700kgs when I had to get it weighed to tax it. The plate will say what the net and gross vehicle weight is.

I don't know how some get away with driving them on small truck licence with a 14ft ifor body

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Base price wrote: »

Thanks Base I thought that was the case but I wasn't sure. I saw a handy cattle lorry on donedeal that would suit my work but it would require a lorry license which I don't currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Anyone know what the correct procedure is to dispose of used oil filters? Other than chucking them into the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

timple23 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the correct procedure is to dispose of used oil filters? Other than chucking them into the bin.

Squashed and into scrap pile.

Advertisement