Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.S. 10101 - The replacement for ET101:2008

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for this but is the second link dead?

Now fixed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    If anyone has completed the CompEx course recently you will be aware of the banning of the use of "SilFlex cable" in the UK (For use in ATEX areas anyway, I am not sure about general use). Personally I could never really see an issue with it used as indoor cable use only. If you are curious to why, it was due to the braid rusting. Anybody know if its after being banned here too?

I was talking to CompEx today about this. Silflex is "not recommended" under BS 7671. They have promised to forward me further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

2011 wrote: »
    I was talking to CompEx today about this. Silflex is "not recommended" under BS 7671. They have promised to forward me further details.

The word they used previously was 'discouraged'.

Theres an old article on voltium (largley rehashed by prysmian in links below) about SY, YY and CY cables that suggests that cable manufacturers claims of conforming to various standards are nonsense.

Voltium article:
    https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/should-sy-yy-and-cy-cables-be-used

Prysmian:
    https://www.whyprysmian.co.uk/sy-yy-cy-cable.html

The word they used previously was 'discouraged'.

Theres an old article on voltium (largley rehashed by prysmian in links below) about SY, YY and CY cables that suggests that cable manufacturers claims of conforming to various standards are nonsense.

Voltium article:
    https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/should-sy-yy-and-cy-cables-be-used

Prysmian:
    https://www.whyprysmian.co.uk/sy-yy-cy-cable.html

Good links, just looking at the second one. This is interesting:

"Prysmian often get enquiries about the use of SY, CY and YY cable. Prysmian do not manufacture such cable types as they do not comply with any manufacturing standard."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Interesting to see the results on this. I agree with the issue with outdoor use, probably easily sorted with a UV rated outer sheath. It's still being used on the site I am on, and still on the cable spec for projects. Lapp cable will be upset if it gets the road. We can't use FP400 too on our site. Another one for the ages...

A side rant...
    Is flex not a better current carring conductor vs sold of the same size? Due to the construction of flex and the characteristics of current flow?

• Advertisement

Will you keep us updated on the Silflex saga 2011... Thanks

Will you keep us updated on the Silflex saga 2011... Thanks

Will do as soon as I get something. I do a lot of Atex stuff myself so I always do my best to keep up to speed with it. As I am sure you know ET105 has been officially withdrawn for a while now so we have to work to EN 60079. These are currently being revised with a lot of emphasis on competency.

Much appreciated. Yes, its 60079-14&17 iirc. Have they any plan for any sort of of an Irish standard to explosive atmospheres? It's all a bit messy now at the moment with all the standards if you ask me. Even the ATEX name plates are a wall of information, due care is well needed when reading compared to the stuff pre 2008 ish.

I find the Ex stuff ruthless if you come away from it for a while.

Much appreciated. Yes, its 60079-14&17 iirc. Have they any plan for any sort of of an Irish standard to explosive atmospheres?

No, that won’t happen.
    It's all a bit messy now at the moment with all the standards if you ask me. Even the ATEX name plates are a wall of information, due care is well needed when reading compared to the stuff pre 2008 ish.

Yes.
    There is a lot to know and it keeps changing. Especially when it comes to things like VSDs.
    I find the Ex stuff ruthless if you come away from it for a while.

Yes. IS (Intrinsically Safe) in particular can get quite complex in terms of calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Jeditraining1

With the publication of the new regulations I was looking to put together a clean form on the published version. I'm looking to start off the discussion with implementation time to when it will take over from ET101:2008. Do you think its workable?

• Advertisement

Any news on the Silflex?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

from the CRU website on 3rd April
    https://www.cru.ie/update-to-transition-period-for-new-electrical-wiring-rules-for-electrical-contractors/

The CRU had decided on a transition period of 24 months to enforce compliance with the new standard. However, transition deadline dates have been delayed by 4 months due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, the total transition timeline will be extended to 28 months. The following applies to all restricted and controlled electrical works in either commercial or domestic properties:

1: The transition period will begin from 1 April 2020. Electrical installations may be designed to the new standard from this date.
    2: After ten months (from 1 February 2021), all new electrical installations must be designed and certified to the new standard.
    3: After 28 months (from 1 August 2022), all electrical installations must be certified to the new standard.

Installations may be designed to the old standard until 31 January 2021, provided they are certified to at least a pre-connection stage by 31 July 2022.

For Number 3, what does that mean for certs for domestic dwellings that say have HP or EVSP etc fitted?
    Doe it mean that the entire house need to comply with the new regs.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jim.s

from the CRU website on 3rd April

The CRU had decided on a transition period of 24 months to enforce compliance with the new standard. However, transition deadline dates have been delayed by 4 months due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Therefore, the total transition timeline will be extended to 28 months. The following applies to all restricted and controlled electrical works in either commercial or domestic properties:

1: The transition period will begin from 1 April 2020. Electrical installations may be designed to the new standard from this date.
    2: After ten months (from 1 February 2021), all new electrical installations must be designed and certified to the new standard.
    3: After 28 months (from 1 August 2022), all electrical installations must be certified to the new standard.

Installations may be designed to the old standard until 31 January 2021, provided they are certified to at least a pre-connection stage by 31 July 2022.

For Number 3, what does that mean for certs for domestic dwellings that say have HP or EVSP etc fitted?
    Doe it mean that the entire house need to comply with the new regs.

Bit hard to follow but I wouldn't think so

Think they just left out the "new"

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Did anyone else get the practical guidebook to this? Not sure if I can link to it as I think it's a private venture but it's a great simplified version with a lot of good diagrams and highlights the main rules and the changes from the current version

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭JL spark

17larsson wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the practical guidebook to this? Not sure if I can link to it as I think it's a private venture but it's a great simplified version with a lot of good diagrams and highlights the main rules and the changes from the current version
    I’m looking myself for this , where did you get it

JL spark wrote: »
    I’m looking myself for this , where did you get it
    I'll PM you. If someone says it's ok to post the name or link here I'll do that later

I'll PM you. If someone says it's ok to post the name or link here I'll do that later

There is no issue with a putting a legal link to the book up.

Looks handy, I'll get one myself.

Some new info from safe electric on 10101.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Interesting , didn't realize there were guides

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Rule 462.5 is going to have a significant impact on domestic distribution boards but nobody seems to be discussing it yet!

Has anyone else spotted this?

I will post the details on this thread within the next couple of days but for now I am just interested to see who else is aware of this new requirement

Are you referring to the isolating of live and neutral?

Are you referring to the isolating of live and neutral?

I’m referring to the fact that all domestic distribution boards will require a 2 pole main isolator. Almost none have this at the moment

2011 wrote: »
    I’m referring to the fact that all domestic distribution boards will require a 2 pole main isolator. Almost none have this at the moment

It's common knowledge at this stage with any contractors in my circle anyway. Garo have an ad in one of the electrical magazines showing a new board layout that has double pole isolation as well so the board manufacturers are aware of it.

It's common in the UK I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It's common knowledge at this stage with any contractors in my circle anyway. Garo have an ad in one of the electrical magazines showing a new board layout that has double pole isolation as well so the board manufacturers are aware of it.

It's common in the UK I think

Any photo of the add?

It's common knowledge at this stage with any contractors in my circle anyway.

Fair enough. Maybe this is more widely known than I thought.

I went to a number of presentations on IS10101 and this was not raised.

I only work in the industrial sector and mainly on the control side of things so I wouldn’t be up to speed on domestic requirements but this did surprise me as I never heard anyone mention it until very recently.
    Garo have an ad in one of the electrical magazines showing a new board layout that has double pole isolation as well so the board manufacturers are aware of it.

Not all. This came up in discussion yesterday as major manufacturer raised the fact that they had missed it.

Either way it is a change that most domestic installations do not have in place at present including very new installations.

• Advertisement

Any photo of the add?

Garo Pic.png

Advertisement