Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

andreac wrote: »
    What seat is he in and what weight is he? Lots of the 25kg seats last up to some children until they are 6 or 7 so you should have plenty of room in a 25kg rearfacing seat. The Axkid seats are great or the Britax TWE is a more budget friendly rear facing seat until 25kg and should have plenty more leg room than what he's in now.

Have you joined the rear facing fb page? They are a wealth of knowledge for seats and cars for your child depending on centiles. It really is much safer to rear face until at least 4 years of age or longer if they still haven't hit 25kg by that age.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172

He’s in a minikid. It’s not suiting him anymore, he’s not comfortable in it, It’s hard to get him in and out of, he’s just a bit a squashy, even though he’s well under the weight limit. I’m just considering my options at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

jlm29 wrote: »
    He’s in a minikid. It’s not suiting him anymore, he’s not comfortable in it, It’s hard to get him in and out of, he’s just a bit a squashy, even though he’s well under the weight limit. I’m just considering my options at the moment
    Ah ok. Do you know what weight he is? Is he high in centiles? Id deffo look at the Britax TWE or maybe one of the other Axkids. Can you move the seat a bit to give him more room? You should def be getting much longer than 3.5years even if he's high in centiles.

Ah ok. Do you know what weight he is? Is he high in centiles? Id deffo look at the Britax TWE or maybe one of the other Axkids. Can you move the seat a bit to give him more room? You should def be getting much longer than 3.5years even if he's high in centiles.

He’s high in centiles. I can’t remember what weight he is. He’s a good bit off 25kg, he’s just built like a wall though :D
    I have a twe as a spare, I don’t think that would make any difference. I’ve also got a 16 month old anyhow though, whenever I need to move her out of her Maxi cosi I’ll be putting her into the minikid anyhow, I wouldn’t be buying another one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

He’s high in centiles. I can’t remember what weight he is. He’s a good bit off 25kg, he’s just built like a wall though :D
    I have a twe as a spare, I don’t think that would make any difference. I’ve also got a 16 month old anyhow though, whenever I need to move her out of her Maxi cosi I’ll be putting her into the minikid anyhow, I wouldn’t be buying another one
    Id def try the twe and see can you move it back away from the seat to give as much room as possible. But honestly, that fb page is brill if you are on fb. But you should still have plenty of time in a 25kg rf seat if he's only 3.5, even if he is high in centiles.

Id def try the twe and see can you move it back away from the seat to give as much room as possible. But honestly, that fb page is brill if you are on fb. But you should still have plenty of time in a 25kg rf seat if he's only 3.5, even if he is high in centiles.

Theoretically I should yes, but practically speaking, It might not work for us. Ill need the minikid for his sister, I’m not going to buy another for the sake of 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Theoretically I should yes, but practically speaking, It might not work for us. Ill need the minikid for his sister, I’m not going to buy another for the sake of 6 months.

A forward facing harnessed seat will have the same issue I would have thought?

bee06 wrote: »
    A forward facing harnessed seat will have the same issue I would have thought?

What same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What same issue?

Of being wedged into the seat? The harness only goes to 25kg so similar height level to the minikid?

bee06 wrote: »
    Of being wedged into the seat? The harness only goes to 25kg so similar height level to the minikid?

Oh sorry, I’m a bit slow. The harness and the headrest are fine, it’s the leg room that’s catching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh sorry, I’m a bit slow. The harness and the headrest are fine, it’s the leg room that’s catching him.

Jlm29 I have a twe but the old version where the harness ff goes to 25kg.
    I have my three year old FF now as he was absolutely squashed RF.

What weight is your guy? What about a cybex seat that have shield but turn into a HBB? I think shield used to 18kg. Never had one but I know when I was buying HBB incarsafetycentre raved about cybex. Didn’t go with them as they are very big....take up a lot of space even in a 7 seater. Maybe though there are new ones out?

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Jlm29 I have a twe but the old version where the harness ff goes to 25kg.
    I have my three year old FF now as he was absolutely squashed RF.

What weight is your guy? What about a cybex seat that have shield but turn into a HBB? I think shield used to 18kg. Never had one but I know when I was buying HBB incarsafetycentre raved about cybex. Didn’t go with them as they are very big....take up a lot of space even in a 7 seater. Maybe though there are new ones out?

He’s definitely more than 18kg I’d say. I’m almost certain he was 16 or 17 the last time I weighed him, and that’s ages ago. I looked at the incarsafety website last night actually. The Britax advansafix is harnessed to 21 kg now it seems, and then a high backed booster after that. I must look properly again later.
    I’m not in any major hurry anyhow, just thought with the week that’s In it I might be able to pick up a bargain, even if I don’t turn him immediately, I could have his next seat got. I’d like one that can be used as a decent hbb so that I don’t have to buy again in a few months.
    My twe has a grey buckle so can use it forward facing too, but It’s in granny’s car, I could take it, but that means we’re swapping over when we need to and it’s a pain. I’m not mad about it forward facing either, I can never get a great fit I think

He’s definitely more than 18kg I’d say. I’m almost certain he was 16 or 17 the last time I weighed him, and that’s ages ago. I looked at the incarsafety website last night actually. The Britax advansafix is harnessed to 21 kg now it seems, and then a high backed booster after that. I must look properly again later.
    I’m not in any major hurry anyhow, just thought with the week that’s In it I might be able to pick up a bargain, even if I don’t turn him immediately, I could have his next seat got. I’d like one that can be used as a decent hbb so that I don’t have to buy again in a few months.
    My twe has a grey buckle so can use it forward facing too, but It’s in granny’s car, I could take it, but that means we’re swapping over when we need to and it’s a pain. I’m not mad about it forward facing either, I can never get a great fit I think

Ring incarsafetycentre. They told me the advansafix harness was no use if your child has a long body....it’s the crotch strap apparently. Maybe though that has changed now.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My 4.5 year old is tall and solid (age 6-7 jeans for length, he's around 22.5kg), we have a Joie Bold and it's worked out well for us. He's not that far from the top harness height though!

My 4.5 year old is tall and solid (age 6-7 jeans for length, he's around 22.5kg), we have a Joie Bold and it's worked out well for us. He's not that far from the top harness height though!

Thank you. The joie bold might be my best bet. I weighed him this morning and he’s just Under 22kg, he’s not going to get too much longer out of any harness anyhow it seems :(

Thank you. The joie bold might be my best bet. I weighed him this morning and he’s just Under 22kg, he’s not going to get too much longer out of any harness anyhow it seems :(

Would you look at a HBB? Like the besafe one?

Millem wrote: »
    Would you look at a HBB? Like the besafe one?

I think I’ll keep squeezing him into the minikid for another couple of months and then look at my options. I had my next boy up in a hbb before 4 because it just wasn’t safe to keep him rear facing. He was getting his straps off and turning round. Nothing would keep him in it. I thought I was done worrying about car seats years ago :)

I think I’ll keep squeezing him into the minikid for another couple of months and then look at my options. I had my next boy up in a hbb before 4 because it just wasn’t safe to keep him rear facing. He was getting his straps off and turning round. Nothing would keep him in it. I thought I was done worrying about car seats years ago :)
    Oh gosh absolutely! I have my 3 year old ff in a twe. He was a disaster with straps. He doesn’t seem to pull them down anymore but if he does I will put him into a HBB.
    It’s so dangerous for the driver of the getting.....getting distracted. So many times I have had to pull over.
    I would ring incarsafetycentre. They are so fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Have our 4yo (since Aug) in a Joie Bold for some time now and we find it to be a great seat. She is high centiles (heavy & very tall), currently around 23kg, but she's not gaining weight as quickly anymore - so she technically has a couple of kg (months+) left in the Bold with the harness. It can switch to being a HBB then up to 36kg. Can be gotten currently on Tony Kealys for €170, FYI.

Make sure you review the fit list to see that it can be fitted where you want it in your car (we ran into unexpected limitations with a SEAT Alhambra).

Our current challenge is that her shoulder height (length of her back) is becoming an issue with the harness, and also have a car fitting/logistics issue upcoming with a new arrival - so will likely have to switch it to the HBB setup for her, before ultimately getting a new HBB for her and moving her to a new position in the car....... the joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sweetkisses

I have been given a mamas and papas primo viaggio / peg perego arcore travel system. I have bought a maxi-cosi cabriofix carseat. Does anyone know if I can get adapters to use carseat on travel system? Tia

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Picked up this revolving one from infababy for my 6 month old. Delighted with it, great value

R

Am hoping for recommendations for fitting 3 car seats across back of a 2015 Qashqai. One is a baby seat isofix (maxi-cosi) on the outside, so looking for options for 2 booster seats for a 2 yr old and 4 yr old for the other 2 seats, would like to use the other isofix but probably not an option if fitting 2 in there so looking at belt secured with 5 point harnesses.. Anyone that managed something similar would be great to get the brands that were used..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 juliaann

I have an 09 Fiesta. I recently bought a beline 123 group seat for a 5 year old . My seat belts don't click and stay locked like newer cars . Has anybody any advice or knowledge regarding this

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Hi is this still active? looking or recommendations of 3 booster in Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

You will narrow HBB for that, think the current narrowest ones are britax adventure and BeSafe izi flex

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blahblahblahblah

Can anyone recommend a lightweight, portable car seat for 12+ months, or a car seat for this age group that clicks onto the wheel base of a travel system?

We don't own a car, and mostly walk or use public transport, but from time to time we might take a taxi or get a lift with a friend or relative. This means that the seat won't be permanently fixed in one car but needs to move with us. So far we have used a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix which fits into the Maxi Cosi wheel base, but baby is now outgrowing it and we need to move up. However, I'm having trouble finding a car seat that can be mounted on a wheel base to convert to a pushchair. Obviously it would be pretty awkward to carry an empty car seat around while pushing a pram or wearing the baby in a sling. 

The ideal car seat would:

- Not require an isofix base

- Support rear-facing

- EITHER fit onto a wheel base so it can be pushed around with the baby once we leave the car, OR be light and portable enough to carry separately.

I appreciate that the majority of parents do own a car, but surely we're not the only family in the country! If you have experience of such a car seat or travel system, please share!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stacykelzxxx

I’ve tried everywhere and I can’t get them🤦‍♀️ Does anyone know if the car seat adapters that come with the travel system fit the maxi cosi cabrio car seat?its the infababy ultimo.

My friend is giving us the travel system and car seat but I really want to use my own maxicosi car seat and be able to use it on the chassis of the pram. Is it possible to use the case at adapters for both Car seats?ive contacted both companies and have gotten no where. Can’t find them on eBay amazon or on any selling sites 🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭smurfette2212

Hi all, can anyone recommend a car that will allow a Joie iSpin 360 and a Silver Cross Motion All Size (both of which spin!) and will still allow use of the middle seat comfortably? All suggestions welcome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement