Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

1383941434446

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    Milly33 wrote: »
    thank you all for the ans... I just like the Joie brand for some reason.. Planning for just the two kiddies (famous last words) so the room shouldnt matter.. Give us an excuse to get the bigger car also

    Milly what age is the child? I think that seat is forward facing only.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭ Milly33


    She will be a month off two by the time we would be using it or 2 pending how things go :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭ Milly33


    another one for someone, right the adapters for the maxi cozis and that. Just wondering do they suit the Graco carry tots as I used to call them..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    I haven’t had the bold but have used the joie tilt, stages and 360 spin with my four year old rear faced with them until

    Tilt: 3 years 10 months. This is a narrow seat and very comfortable. Both I and my childminder loved this seat. Pity no adjustable headrest
    Stages: 4 years 2 months. Honestly I don’t like this seat. It’s been far too wide for his bum at various stages and the belt routing in my car is awful rearfacing. We now have it forward facing and it’s massive, he has a britax romer kidfix in the other car and its way nicer.
    360 spin: he loved this rearfacing and stayed backwards until nearly 4 years and six months by his choice. It’s now being used for the baby. I love this seat and will consider buying a second for the baby when he outgrows the maxi cosi as unfortunately the tilt isn’t suitable for my car


  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ tobdom


    Milly33 wrote: »
    What do people think of the Joie Bold? We have the stages for the little one at the moment but thinking with the new baby on the way we might get her a new seat so looking at the Bold

    We have it and find it to be a great seat. We have a very tall, quite heavy soon to be 3 year old. We put her it it just a couple of months ago (RF up until then). I actually think the recline is quite good in it.

    Only recent issue we ran into with it is that it cannot go in the middle seat (middle row) of a SEAT Alhambra, which I was surpised about. I think it's due to the way the seatbelt operates for that seat (comes down from the roof).

    We somehow managed to get it for €155 in Smyths when we bought, which now seems to have been a great deal as I think it's hard to find it for much less than 200 now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭ oLoonatic


    Looking at a forward facing for my nearly 6 year old. currently rearward facing, and unfortunately need a highback booster now. I cannot find any proper links to reviews on the joie highback with isofix I saw in smyths. Any advice on where to find safety ratings or reviews on this type of carseat. Not too concerned with price.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ mirrorwall14


    oLoonatic wrote: »
    Looking at a forward facing for my nearly 6 year old. currently rearward facing, and unfortunately need a highback booster now. I cannot find any proper links to reviews on the joie highback with isofix I saw in smyths. Any advice on where to find safety ratings or reviews on this type of carseat. Not too concerned with price.

    Afaik the rearfacing Ireland group recommends the joie trillo from the joie next stage seats


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    strange question, we are looking for booster seats, the high back one but ones that are comfy and would be good if child falls asleep....they are going into Galaxy so plenty of space, I don't mind spending a few quid either....thanks


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭ shesty


    Afaik the rearfacing Ireland group recommends the joie trillo from the joie next stage seats

    We have the joie trillo, if it's the one I think it is it has what is calls Isostraps....the simply hook the seat onto the isofix points but I don't think they have any particular safety feature, except to stop the seat moving around the car if it isn't being used.I liked the MaxiCosi Rodifix, which is a highback booster and does have Isofix connections.It looked good,but in a rush one weekend we settled for the Trillo, which is working out well for us anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ lashes34


    Milly if the Bold is forward facing only I wouldnt use it, rear facing is so much safer. My girl will be kept that way past aged 4 all going well. She is in the 360 and the 360 isize in our cars and the Joie Steadi in the childminders.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    strange question, we are looking for booster seats, the high back one but ones that are comfy and would be good if child falls asleep....they are going into Galaxy so plenty of space, I don't mind spending a few quid either....thanks

    I tried out loads
    cybex second newest one can’t remember name!
    besafe new one
    britax kidfix new one
    Maxi cosi rodifix air protect.

    Ended up buying two of the maxi cosi ones. My son “fit” in it the best. It also reclines and head doesn’t flop.

    The cybex one takes up an awful lot of space....this is the one incarsafety recommended over all of the above.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭ Milly33


    I think we might actually stick to getting another Stages one, I thought she would be getting too big for sooner rather than later. But had a kid aged 3 in it lately and it was grand... Anyone have any dealings with Joie online? Had a bit of a disaster and a part of the back support broke when i had to wash it. Halfords said they would return it for us, went all the way in and they said no that it was a Joie issue.. So waiting on their reply


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 jlm29


    Shefwedfan wrote: »

    No. They look like a recipe for disaster, and they’re not crash tested, and probably not regulated in any way


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    jlm29 wrote: »
    No. They look like a recipe for disaster, and they’re not crash tested, and probably not regulated in any way


    Why would they need to be crashed tested?



    All they are is to stop the child head going forward when they fall asleep, they wouldn't be used to hold the child into the seat


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 jlm29


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why would they need to be crashed tested?



    All they are is to stop the child head going forward when they fall asleep, they wouldn't be used to hold the child into the seat

    Everything related to car seats should be crash tested. If that slipped down around the child’s neck while you were driving and you had to brake suddenly, I’d say there would be a good chance things wouldn’t end well


  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ Anne_cordelia


    jlm29 wrote: »
    Everything related to car seats should be crash tested. If that slipped down around the child’s neck while you were driving and you had to brake suddenly, I’d say there would be a good chance things wouldn’t end well

    Completely agree. Was going to say similar.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    Having a major disaster with my almost 2 year old. He keeps taking off his straps
    :(
    I have bought the be safe clip but he just manages to take it off :( takes his straps off and tries to turn around.
    He is currently rearfacing in a Britax TWE. My husband thinks we should turn him forward but I am hesitatant.
    Any tips would be great!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Millem wrote: »
    Having a major disaster with my almost 2 year old. He keeps taking off his straps
    :(
    I have bought the be safe clip but he just manages to take it off :( takes his straps off and tries to turn around.
    He is currently rearfacing in a Britax TWE. My husband thinks we should turn him forward but I am hesitatant.
    Any tips would be great!


    He is 2 and you have him facing backwards so he can't see you?



    I didn't get to 1 before I had to move mine around.....they got moved into the forward facing and that meant they could see us but also they can see out, not sure how you kept a 2 year old this long looking into a seat


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Any option to put 3 car seats across the back to Golf? I have multimac which works perfect but thinking about buying a second car and down sizing. Don't want to invest in another multimac. I have bought 2 Britax Discovery and they suit fine but what option do you have for the 3rd seat?

    Has anyone managed it ?

    Thanks


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭ bee06


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He is 2 and you have him facing backwards so he can't see you?



    I didn't get to 1 before I had to move mine around.....they got moved into the forward facing and that meant they could see us but also they can see out, not sure how you kept a 2 year old this long looking into a seat

    Rear facing until at least 4 is 5 times safer in a crash. Generally they look out the back or side window.

    Millem, the five point plus is the other crash tested device that’s recommended for escape artists. Also check that the seat straps are at the right level for his shoulders. If I remember correctly the TWE is the exception to the rule that shoulder straps should be level or slightly below.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,166 ✭✭✭✭ iamwhoiam


    bee06 wrote: »
    Rear facing until at least 4 is 5 times safer in a crash. Generally they look out the back or side window.

    Millem, the five point plus is the other crash tested device that’s recommended for escape artists. Also check that the seat straps are at the right level for his shoulders. If I remember correctly the TWE is the exception to the rule that shoulder straps should be level or slightly below.

    Can I ask you where a 5 year old legs would go if in a rear facing seat ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    bee06 wrote: »
    Rear facing until at least 4 is 5 times safer in a crash. Generally they look out the back or side window.

    Millem, the five point plus is the other crash tested device that’s recommended for escape artists. Also check that the seat straps are at the right level for his shoulders. If I remember correctly the TWE is the exception to the rule that shoulder straps should be level or slightly below.

    Bee I tried that gadget....it is like a waistcoat! He is unreal ;)
    I actually moved the shoulder straps up one today so they are slightly above and he didn’t try to escape but was tired! Fingers crossed.

    My friend has a houdini stop but I don’t think it is crash tested?

    I managed to keep my older boy rearward till 3. I was pregnant and he was too heavy for me to help in and out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭ bee06


    Millem wrote: »
    Bee I tried that gadget....it is like a waistcoat! He is unreal ;)
    I actually moved the shoulder straps up one today so they are slightly above and he didn’t try to escape but was tired! Fingers crossed.

    My friend has a houdini stop but I don’t think it is crash tested?

    I managed to keep my older boy rearward till 3. I was pregnant and he was too heavy for me to help in and out.

    No, I don’t think the Houdini one is crash tested.

    Fingers crossed! Is the headrest off the back seat so he can look out? Failing that, bribery.

    Iamwhoiam, they cross them, put them out to the sides, against the back seat. Loads of options. Kids are more flexible than adults so something that seems uncomfortable for use is grand for them. They wouldn’t be long telling you anyway if they were uncomfortable.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 jlm29


    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can I ask you where a 5 year old legs would go if in a rear facing seat ?

    My kids aren’t 5, but seats are installed with lots of leg room, so it wouldn’t be an issue. If anything, it looks more comfy than having legs dangling unsupported.

    Millem, I had the same issue with my middle guy, who is, admittedly a bit older. I turned him (he’s 3 and a half and just short of 20kg) forward facing, and he still gets his hands out no matter what I do. So I think I need to try him in a hbb, even though I’d much rather not at this stage. If he will sit with a seat belt on properly, he’s a lot safer than if he had his straps just across his middle, I reckon as he is now, his insides would be destroyed in a crash. That’s no use to you though! You could put a shirt or a hoodie on him backwards over the straps so he can’t get at them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 jlm29


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He is 2 and you have him facing backwards so he can't see you?



    I didn't get to 1 before I had to move mine around.....they got moved into the forward facing and that meant they could see us but also they can see out, not sure how you kept a 2 year old this long looking into a seat

    They look out the back and side windows. They can see more than if they’re forward facing and looking at the back of your head.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    bee06 wrote: »
    Rear facing until at least 4 is 5 times safer in a crash. Generally they look out the back or side window.

    Millem, the five point plus is the other crash tested device that’s recommended for escape artists. Also check that the seat straps are at the right level for his shoulders. If I remember correctly the TWE is the exception to the rule that shoulder straps should be level or slightly below.


    If I had my 4 year old in a rear facing I would have to chop both legs off......


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 jlm29


    Also Millem, get on go in car safety. I’m certain they have some other gadget that can help with this. I saw it online, but the guy at check it fits was also showing it to me recently. I’m not sure of the ins and outs of it, but definitely ring them


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    jlm29 wrote: »
    Also Millem, get on go in car safety. I’m certain they have some other gadget that can help with this. I saw it online, but the guy at check it fits was also showing it to me recently. I’m not sure of the ins and outs of it, but definitely ring them

    Ok great! I had a similar problem with my older boy back in 2017 and incarsafety told me to turn TWE forward in the end!
    I have the old ones that go up to 25kg forward.

    I used to put fleece on after harnessed in the cabriofix. It only has 3 point harness so I could do that.....how do I put on hoodie after closing a 5 point harness?

    My guy is only 13kg and in 18-24 month clothes.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭ sillysocks


    I had similar in a forward facing seat, and it was a few weeks of torture but every time we stopped , gave out and put her hands back in. She finally got the message, and hasn’t done it in months now.


Advertisement