Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVIII- 71,942 ROI(2,050 deaths) 51,824 NI (983 deaths) (28/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't test what's not coming forward I guess.
    That's true.
    If we ignore positivity rates, the actual number of positive swabs is still, by all metrics, on a continuous downward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The lack of community referrals and low testing yet high-ish numbers still suggests that the majority of cases aren't coming from community referrals.
    If there was high volume of disease in the community then there would be more community referrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Places on the continent have about 20%+ positivity rates,

We are doing much better than we give ourselves credit for. And we deserve a bit of a break as a reward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Saw some people coughing badly today at bus stops etc....Is it rude to say something to them?

Say what? They may well have already been tested negative and just have a cough from another illness. I don't think there's any justification for it just because it makes you uncomfortable. Maybe I'm not cynical enough but I'd like to believe there's not really anybody who would choose to take public transport while symptomatic before being tested, so I don't think I'd ever feel compelled to say something to anybody like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

screamer wrote: »
    Was in a restaurant for a 3 course meal in August. Never again, 90 minutes to swallow it and run, heartburn for the evening. So, whilst those restrictions remain in place, I won’t be bothered.

90mins? I usually have a plate of food down in under a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I was as pro-lockdown as could possibly be and was actually supportive of level 5 but with a vaccine just around the corner, I think the continued demonisation and vilfication of the hospitality industry needs to stop.

Time to throw the modelling and "what-if" scenarios out the window and give publicans a chance to open safely. They have been unbelievably patient and were one of the first to voluntarily shut their doors and have been treated like dirt ever since, even being patronisingly referred to as "wet-pubs" by people with no knowledge of the hospitality industry.

Allow them to open safely and be done with it, they've been fed a pup for way way too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭blowitupref

seamus wrote: »
    Positive number good: 271.

Positivity Rate, not great: 3.38%

Number of tests, bad: 8,019

I've not really much more to say on it. It's technically a decent result today, but the test numbers too low to be optimistic or pessimistic.

It's the lowest number of tests since 11th October

Would expect under 200 positive swabs for 8k tests. The 7 day positivity has increased slightly from 2.7 to 2.8

Hopefully this evenings reported case number is no higher than the swab count. Giving us a seven day average of 287 cases per day or lower. Last Thursday it was 421.

Good news on the hospital situation. At the start of the week 292 required treatment and that's down to 247 as of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't suppose there's a NPHET briefing this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

You see, increasingly the expert view is schools are not hotspots. Dont just read the linked article. There are numerous studies linked

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

"Increasingly the expert view. . . "

The facts have long since been established.

Why don't you contact the Chancellor of Austria, the Governor of New York or the Prime Minister of Greece with your "increasingly the expert view" opinions?

I'm sure they'll be delighted to ditch their experts and take on your views to get their schools open?

"Increasingly the expert view. . . "

The facts have long since been established.

Why don't you contact the Chancellor of Austria, the Governor of New York or the Prime Minister of Greece with your "increasingly the expert view" opinions?

I'm sure they'll be delighted to ditch their experts and take on your views to get their schools open?

It wasn't decided what way the virus behaves in March and everything is set in stone forever.

I think the fact that a million kids are in school and hundreds of thousands more people are travelling to work every day now than were in April/May, yet cases are falling at only a slightly slower rate than back then tells you all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 YURTSAN

Does anyone really care if we have a short lockdown in January if hospitality is allowed to open till then. Nobody likes January anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

YURTSAN wrote: »
    Does anyone really care if we have a short lockdown in January if hospitality is allowed to open till then. Nobody likes January anyway?

January is a voluntary lockdown for many people when it comes to bars and restaurants! This winter would probably be different though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

eagle eye wrote: »
    You can't teach these people. He's been told many, many times that NPHET is an advisory group who make recommendations to the government and don't make any decisions but he still goes on posting his ideas about NPHET.

If only they were a mere advisory group. Leaks to the media, "concern" over the governments plan, lecturing tweets to the public.

Christ above, would they just submit their recommendation, answer any questions asked of them and then leave and shut their mouths. You'd swear they were a political party the way they're acting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

People will die from the increased spread of the virus in December.

Why not wait a few months till the vaccine?

Mobility data is interesting. Level 5 only had a minor impact on the number of people going to work. Mid-term was much larger. We are told level 5 has resulted in only kids being out and about, yet if journeys to work are only down 23% on average compared to the baseline. Most people are still going to work

534271.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

MD1990 wrote: »
    People will die from the increased spread of the virus in December.

Why not wait a few months till the vaccine?

Because there's no timeline for if/when you can get your vaccine. You could be talking another 12 months. People are sick being cooped up and are just looking for a little sliver of normality around Christmas to meet with people they may not have seen in months.

It sounds ok in theory but if it inevitably leads to illness and death, you'd wonder what the cost will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Because there's no timeline for if/when you can get your vaccine. You could be talking another 12 months. People are sick being cooped up and are just looking for a little sliver of normality around Christmas to meet with people they may not have seen in months.

We're due to get more information on the vaccine rollout by December 11th to be fair.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-taskforce-2-5276103-Nov2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Just off the phone with uncle in the industry.

Says MM is seriously concerned about going against NPHET.... wants to make any opening of hospitality as strict as possible but with allowing something open.

It is reckoned they won't make a decision on opening them until next week with a hope to open gastro pubs/restaurants on 14 December , only if case number remain stable.

Seems like an incredible position to kick the can again but that's the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It wasn't decided what way the virus behaves in March and everything is set in stone forever.
    No response from you as regards the link you requested input up again.
    Nothing to say about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's now been flagged in advance, but needs to be moderately short, 3-4 weeks max. Assuming vaccine approvals, it will also need to be accompanied by a plan to roll out vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 YURTSAN

Eod100 wrote: »
    It sounds ok in theory but if it inevitably leads to illness and death, you'd wonder what the cost will be.

Yeah I understand the other side.

In theory I could walk outside my front door and slip and break my neck. Should I be afraid to go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just off the phone with uncle in the industry.

Says MM is seriously concerned about going against NPHET.... wants to make any opening of hospitality as strict as possible but with allowing something open.

It is reckoned they won't make a decision on opening them until next week with a hope to open gastro pubs/restaurants on 14 December , only if case number remain stable.

Seems like an incredible position to kick the can again but that's the latest.

No offence to your uncle but they'll decide tomorrow. The 14th gives 1 trading weekend to Christmas, that just won't happen. The plan has been widely leaked all week and whatever they say about meeting tomorrow etc its basically already decided sure Leo couldn't keep his mouth shut yesterday. They know well and have done for a few days id say what they're going to do.

We're going to have this speculation for another 24hrs but the NPHET advice as per multiple journalists was expected and no shock to anyone in government, the line of NPHET advise we decide is being widely used again.

Yeah I understand the other side.

In theory I could walk outside my front door and slip and break my neck. Should I be afraid to go outside.

All risk is relative. I think people forget that with a highly infectious disease other people's behaviour has an influence on that level of risk too.

There has been the ''stay at home if you're afraid'' crowd. People still have to work, go food shopping etc and there's a difference in relative risk depending on how high community transmission is. In summer when we opened up cases nationally were down to single digits.

The case level now is lot better than 1,000s but still in 200s. That makes a difference to overall risk level plus mixture of Christmas, alcohol, people meeting up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hulk Hands wrote:
    If only they were a mere advisory group. Leaks to the media, "concern" over the governments plan, lecturing tweets to the public.

Christ above, would they just submit their recommendation, answer any questions asked of them and then leave and shut their mouths. You'd swear they were a political party the way they're acting

Who started the leaks to the media? Leo Varadkar and multiple unidentified government sources.
    NPHET were made to look very bad by them. They came out and were adamant that there was no leak in their side. Most people realised it was coming from the government. Then the government did it again. It doesn't surprise me that NPHET are now leaking stuff to protect themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Who’s going to win the latest government/nphet standoff?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    January is a voluntary lockdown for many people when it comes to bars and restaurants! This winter would probably be different though.

I think there's a fairly big psychological difference between choosing to have a quiet January (especially after what's usually a normal Christmas other years) vs people being under restrictions though and having that choice removed them. That's probably why restrictions are so tough because autonomy is curtailed to a large degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who’s going to win the latest government/nphet standoff?
    Government calls the shots.
    As always.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blade1 wrote: »
    As always.
    Yep, NPHET are advising on the predetermined political decision to reopen, not if we should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

blade1 wrote: »
    As always.

I imagine the political pressure to open restaurants is quite high

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement