Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

Options

Comments

Yes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    8-10 months is a rush in terms of vaccine development.

That could bite us in the ass.
    There's a good read here from the BBC about why it's not rushed. Coming out fast relative to other vaccines does not mean short cuts have been taken - just urgency and optimal development being possible when money is no object.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, of course. But when the time comes.

Taking an active substances always have risks and side effects. If it doesn't have side effects, it simply doesn't work. It is a balancing act between risks and benefits.

As it stands right now, the benefits for me are small and IMHO not worth taking the risk. Later on, if it is required to travel - sure. If I am preventing herd immunity - sure. But I'll gladly let others with much more to gain (elderly, frontline workers, people with existing medical conditions etc) to take it before.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    8-10 months is a rush in terms of vaccine development.

That could bite us in the ass.

It's not really rushed. The research doesn't have to wait on grant/budget approval. Any administrative tasks are done without any unnecessary delay etc. It is massively optimized, but the research itself isn't much different than with any other vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

MacDanger wrote: »
    Part of the reason (other than the obvious massive resources allocated to it) for the reduced development time is the prevalence of the virus in the community.

For the Phase 3 trials, you give X people the vaccine and X the placebo and you need to wait for Y people (say 100) to get contract the virus - then you see how many of those 100 people got the vaccine and how many got the placebo and that tells you how effective the vaccine is. For most viruses, you might have to wait years for 100 people to contract the virus but with Covid, it's very prevalent so that waiting time is greatly reduced.

so you are saying phase 3 trials can predict long term side effects ? which i think is the point of the people that talk about rushing it and iam sure it makes a lot of sense to rush it for higher risk people. especially older people where the long term effects dont matter so much given they dont have such a long time left.
    i guess another interresting point is which one people will prefer to going to take and i would be interested to know more of the differences between the three on offer so far.
    btw what happend to the russian one?
    so i guess some people would be wise not to answer yet with a definite yes or no but try to learn more about. i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Small sample but reassuring numbers in the poll, only 11% not willing to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

ixoy wrote: »
    There's a good read here from the BBC about why it's not rushed. Coming out fast relative to other vaccines does not mean short cuts have been taken - just urgency and optimal development being possible when money is no object.

And the governments have agreed to indemnify the pharma companies producing the vaccine above a certain amount should it turn out that things go wrong the terms of which are not being made public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes for me. I doubt I'll be getting it immediately though, given how long I've been waiting to get this years Flu vaccine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

peter kern wrote: »
    so you are saying phase 3 trials can predict long term side effects ? which i think is the point of the people that talk about rushing it and iam sure it makes a lot of sense to rush it for higher risk people. especially older people where the long term effects dont matter so much given they dont have such a long time left.
    i guess another interresting point is which one people will prefer to going to take and i would be interested to know more of the differences between the three on offer so far.
    btw what happend to the russian one?
    so i guess some people would be wise not to answer yet with a definite yes or no but try to learn more about. i

The Russian one is most likely BS to begin with and is about as believable as a Nigerian prince.

Thing about long term side affects is how long do you wait. 2,5 or even 10 years. I am a little worried that this will be a new thalidomide scandal in 30 years but I'm far less worried about that than I am about carrying on as things are now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭billyhead

No thanks. I'd be worried I might end up with hair growing out of my eyeballs. Let Leo @ Michael Martin go first and than I will sit back and wait a while before jumping the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

_Brian wrote: »
    Small sample but reassuring numbers in the poll, only 11% not willing to get it.

A polll on this site is absolutely meaningless. Here's one from the Times, prehaps a little out of date .
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/survey-finds-55-of-irish-people-would-take-covid-vaccine-1.4391037
    Edit,
    Sorry didn't paste the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

billyhead wrote: »
    No thanks. I'd be worried I might end up with hair growing out of my eyeballs. Let Leo @ Michael Martin go first and than I will sit back and wait a while before jumping the gun.

Why does everyone always worry that the side effects will be bad?

Maybe we will get super strength or telepathy or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. This whole thing has happened far too quickly and the idea of a vaccine being produced so soon makes the cynic in me say no way would I touch it.

We have china to thank for the year we've had so far, we then go cap in hand for ppe to protect us from their crap and now we're expected to be happy with a vaccine pushed out as quick as possible by companies who's only interest is making hugh amounts of money at any cost

How much more stupid do we have to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

MacDanger wrote: »
    For those who want to wait and see what the "long term effects" are - how long would you wait?

A year?
    2 years?
    10 years?

How did you come to the conclusion that a vaccine would be safe after that amount of time?

By observing whether not so good stuff happens to the people who took it before me? Thought that was quite obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Why does everyone always worry that the side effects will be bad?

Maybe we will get super strength or telepathy or something

And why do people who obsess over the unlikely possibility of long term side effects of a vaccine, so often ignore the long term side effects that have been observed in many people who've actually caught covid?

The benefit of the vaccine that might have a miniscule chance of long term side effects, though none of been seen in the many of thousands of people tested, far outweighs the risk of not getting one and catching a disease with a small chance of imminent death, a larger chance of heavy short term suffering, and some chance of major long term side effects which are not yet fully understood but have already observed in a sizeable number of people - with all of these chances also accompanied by the possibility of passing them on to your friends and loved ones who may suffer as badly or worse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

By observing whether not so good stuff happens to the people who took it before me? Thought that was quite obvious?
    The question is how long will you wait and observe for? After six months, will you be happy it's okay? Six years? What'll be sufficient.

Won't be taking it. And I don't care what airlines or governments say. I'm entitled to a holiday and I'll be visiting without any covid vaccine. Nobody is going to force me to put this untested junk in my body. I took enough to last me a life time when travelling around South America and I'm pretty sure the 10 year yellow fever one killed lots of my brain cells.

That does seem evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ixoy wrote: »
    The question is how long will you wait and observe for? After six months, will you be happy it's okay? Six years? What'll be sufficient.

Dunno tbh. I was really answering to this one.
    How did you come to the conclusion that a vaccine would be safe after that amount of time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Won't be taking it. And I don't care what airlines or governments say. I'm entitled to a holiday and I'll be visiting without any covid vaccine. Nobody is going to force me to put this untested junk in my body. I took enough to last me a life time when travelling around South America and I'm pretty sure the 10 year yellow fever one killed lots of my brain cells.

If all airlines insist on a passenger having taken the covid vaccine before being allowed to travel then what are you going to do? Swim? As for being "entitled" to a foreign holiday without observing health and safety measures you are completely mistaken despite your show of bravado on here. Anyway as soon as the vaccine becomes available I will be queueing up for it if need be.

quokula wrote: »
    And why do people who obsess over the unlikely possibility of long term side effects of a vaccine, so often ignore the long term side effects that have been observed in many people who've actually caught covid?

Because the possibility of contracting COVID is very small as well. Especially if there is massive vaccination effort happening around.

We had 70k cases so far - so (if my napkin calculation is right) you have roughly 3% chance of contracting (technically being a detected case, not actual contracting) the virus over a period of a year. Reduce your exposure, always have protection - you lower those number even further. And if you do get unlucky, the probability of serious complications for loads of people are slim as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

If all airlines insist on a passenger having taken the covid vaccine before being allowed to travel then what are you going to do then? Swim? As for being "entitled" to a foreign holiday without observing health and safety measures you are completely mistaken despite your show of bravado on here.. Anyway as soon as the vaccine becomes available I will be queueing up for it if need be.

They will have a problem implementing that given the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

The Belly wrote: »
    They will have a problem implementing that given the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

That's voluntary disclosure. You disclose your vaccination record, you fly. You don't disclose it, you don't fly. It is not in violation of GDPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

grogi wrote: »
    That's voluntary disclosure. You disclose your vaccination record, you fly. You don't disclose it, you don't fly. It is not in violation of GDPR.

You'll be able to fly with RA unless the EU makes vaccination mandatory which I doubt they will. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/covid-jab-ryanair-will-not-ask-for-proof-of-vaccination-within-eu-1.4417851

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

The Belly wrote: »
    And the governments have agreed to indemnify the pharma companies producing the vaccine above a certain amount should it turn out that things go wrong the terms of which are not being made public.

Isn't that true of every vaccine ? maybe even every drug that get approved IIRC.
    It was discussed on the other thread I think, way back. Something about there never would be any research or trials done if it wasn't the case.

Anyway, I'd take it if its approved. I like to think I'm relatively low risk, so it'll probably next summer before they'd give it to me anyway, but when the time comes, inject away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Dunno tbh. I was really answering to this one.

The question was related to the amount of time though, perhaps I should have bolded it as below:

breezy1985 wrote: »
    A true hero.

You would have made a great British army general in WW1

some-of-you-may-die-but-that-is-a-sacrifice-17417790.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭MacDanger

peter kern wrote: »
    i

No, I'm not saying that at all.

Are you worried about the "long term side effects"? If so, how much data would you need to make you happy about the safety of a vaccine? 1 year? 2 years? 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That does seem evident.

Ah come on, you walked right in to that one :D:D:D

You'll be able to fly with RA unless the EU makes vaccination mandatory which I doubt they will. https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/covid-jab-ryanair-will-not-ask-for-proof-of-vaccination-within-eu-1.4417851

Why do you think vaccination will not be made mandatory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why do you think vaccination will not be made mandatory?

It's extremely unlikely in the current climate that the EU would make vaccines mandatory, they are acutely aware of how anti-vax sentiment and euroskeptic sentiment tend to go hand in hand, and thus how this could be used very easily to further anti-EU campaigns on social media etc. I very, very much doubt they'd take such a risk, particularly with Brexit still ongoing.

Advertisement