Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW i3

• 01-02-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭

There are some other threads about the i3, but most are old now and not relevant to what I need to know. Hence the new thread!

Seriously thinking of getting an i3 as my second car. My classic Mercedes is up for sale and I'm thinking of putting my Porsche into storage for a few years

I rarely need 2 cars, so I'm not going to spend a lot of money on one. The almost zero running costs of an EV help here, but the car must be relatively cheap to buy, under €10k. I'm only interested in pure EVs

I like the thought of the BMW i3. Range is not that important to me. The 18.8kWh available will do me, even a bit less. The one requirement that I have is that it can swallow a mountainbike. Preferable whole. Is it really this easy?

If you know of any cheap i3 for sale anywhere (must be very cheap), let me know. I don't mind a car that's a bit rough, has some minor issues and / or has high mileage and a degraded battery

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah, an i3 (BEV) sold a week or two ago at either Wilsons or Windsor for €9k. That re-ignited my idea for getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭stesaurus

At that price, well worth it

I think it was a bit rough, but yes a decent price. Pity that you'd have to pay nearly a grand on top of that to the auction house. I'd rather buy in a private sale if I could avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thought there was meant to be an expensive issue with the generator.... Could be wrong but you would want to be making sure all in good order.

• Advertisement

One of the reasons I do not want an i3 with a petrol engine. Pure EV for me please!

The REx is considerably slower (0-60 in nearly 8s instead of just over 6s), there's the maintenance and all the things that can go wrong. The extra tax. And far smaller savings on the M50 toll. I got rather used to paying just 58c for crossing it in my Ioniq, saved €300 last year and that was just for social trips :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

Wilsons seem to have an i3 every week. Might be worth ringing a few BMW dealers, surely there being traded in and thats why there ending up in auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Cross13’s Beemer is for sale... have you checked with him?

I have. It's a REx and it is very high spec, so not the car I want and it wouldn't be in my budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm not sure a bike will go in full Unkel?

Although, ive never tried it!

I will keep an eye on the i3 FB group.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    I'm not sure a bike will go in full Unkel?

Did you watch the vid? He makes it look very easy. Not sure what size the bike is though or if he dropped the saddle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get a foldable bike or quick release front wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

kceire wrote: »
    I'm not sure a bike will go in full Unkel?.

I can fit 2 road bikes in on top of each other in our i3 with front wheels off. Done it a few times. Put an old blanket between frames.

The back seats down storage space appears better than the figures suggest due to completely flat loading.

unkel wrote: »
    Did you watch the vid? He makes it look very easy. Not sure what size the bike is though or if he dropped the saddle down.

For some reason the video didn't appear in the post earlier. Must be something to do with the work firewall. Same as cross13's post during the week his Tesla order picture didn't appear.

See it now, so I guess that's that question answered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

You can fit a road bike wheels on in nearly any hatchback I had 3 once in the back of a Fabia!

Don't think he dropped the saddle frame looks around a medium. 54/56cm frame. Road bikes are a nice bit more compact all round that a mtb for same frame size. Wheelbase is longer, bottom bracket is higher and handle bars are much wider. I'd say a large frame mtb would still fit in the i3 may be tight and need some wiggling. Easy pop of front wheel and lower saddle though if you have quick releases. If you have hydraulic brakes get a shim to put between the pads.

It's why I need a massive boot and a tow bar option for a bike rack when the boot is full as I can't fold the seats and leave the kids at home yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Diseased toe

Can I ask peoples thiughts in this price wise?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/I3/fpa/202008252894151

Would i better sourcing in the UK?

I don't know anything about the specs on these, maybe that is a particular car that you want? Otherwise €30k for a 2018 i3 94Ah seems a lot of money when you can buy a brand new 2021 i3 120Ah with far more range from just €36k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

That's a fairly max specced i3 there - sunroof, Harmann Karmann speakers, and white leather interior are all really desirable in such a car - I love my sunroof, and miss not having better speakers.

Only thing 'wrong' is that they are fairly basic looking wheels.

Price wise - that's about right for Ireland. You could get a 120ah i3s for about that price but with a much more basic interior. In theory it would be cheaper to import from UK - but from experience at possibly upgrading my 60ah i3 I've found very few new (2018 onwards) have sunroofs, and also if you are set on a REX you have to factor in some sort of VRT payment.

Edit - just rechecking ad, and maybe it os a bit high. It has older BMW system on screen, newer one is much nicer but only launched in late 2019 I think.

I wouldn't get a REx! Worst of both worlds. A lot to go wrong, expensive maintenance, only half the toll discount, more insurance and more tax. And not zero emissions, which can and should be heavily punished in future. With the 120Ah you could nearly go from anywhere in Ireland to anywhere else without charging. BMW no longer sell the REx, it is an outdated compliance car concept, no longer needed with the range of the current cars.

I have commute of 100km each way twice a week, mostly motorway, can the 120 Ah handle that in all weathers is the question I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I don't know anything about the specs on these, maybe that is a particular car that you want? Otherwise €30k for a 2018 i3 94Ah seems a lot of money when you can buy a brand new 2021 i3 120Ah with far more range from just €36k

Mad_Lad must be busy so I will fill in.

The 2019 has a Rex but the 2021 doesn't.

I have commute of 100km each way twice a week, mostly motorway, can the 120 Ah handle that in all weathers is the question I guess.

From memory the WLTP range is about 310km, so should be able to do 200km motorway I would have thought. Not many (if any) owners on here of the 120Ah though but if there are, maybe they can share their experiences. Hammering it on a motorway in cold weather devastates the range of any EV.

The car I'm currently driving has a 500km WLTP range, but on the trip I made today, I would have got nowhere near that. Maybe 300km. Then again, it was fairly cold and I do like driving with a very heavy foot.

120ah for less than what poster is thinking of paying for REX paying

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/i3/fpa/202010024506819?journey=Search

200Km All motorway..... you'd do it in a 120ah, but you'd be sweating it a bit especially in cold and might have to limit speed a lot

Nice Car.

Spec Wise it has Pro Nav System, Sun Roof, HK Surround Sound, LED Lights, Privacy Glass, Front Parking Sensors and Rear View Reverse Cam, it also has the adaptive cruise control as that's the venter button on the dash below the hazzard lights.

Interior trim is middle ground, its not base, but not top spec Leather. Wheels are base model too.

I had the same car only 161 and the 20" wheels. Sold for 20k in June of this year. I think 30k is on the high side personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I have the i3 120Ah and it could easily handle that if you leave with 100% charge.

Drive at 110kph in ECO Pro mode and you'll have nearly 100km range left at the end.

My consumption this morning on the school run, rated as 2 out of 5 in efficiency (a lot of traffic lights) had a consumption of 15.4kWh/100km. So even with that kind of accelerator heavy driving style, you'd probably have around 270km range.

Can I ask what you would consider a must have spec wise on the i3 120Ah ?

We have a 520 M Sport as the main ICE car in the household, dream to drive but when we change the 2nd car I would love an EV

We have a 520 M Sport as the main ICE car in the household, dream to drive but when we change the 2nd car I would love an EV

Reverse camera definitely - rear vision is a bit restricted

Large centre screen - the smaller screen screams cheap. Newer BMW interface a lot nicer than original.

19inch wheels are more comfy than 20in (even then can be a little bit hard on road)

I love the light and extra height sunroof gives - but that's personal taste. Same with wooden dash, it's much nicer than the standard plastic.

Parking assist is useless gimic - if you have reverse camera then this car is a doddle to park, park assist is just slow

Harmann Karmann upgrade if you have kids who'll frequently be in back, as back seats have no speakers as standard. If not, standard is fine.

Leather seats nice, if only as they get heated seat options - heated seat is very, very nice - if you do have to go eco mode, you can turn heating down but still have a warm arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The only must-have for me was the parking sensors and reversing camera. You can only get these as part of the Park Assist package.

There are no longer any different screen options, it's the larger one as standard now.

I also got CarPlay activation (this is now included as standard) and the wireless phone charger in the armrest.

Other than that we just went with the basic upholstery and trim.

The "Auxiliary cabin heating system" (Heat pump) is probably worth getting too, we didn't bother though.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    120ah for less than what poster is thinking of paying for REX paying

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/i3/fpa/202010024506819?journey=Search

Lot of car for the money!

@MJohnston - nice choice of car and how frugal it is doesn't surprise me. People might not realise but the BMW i3 was the most efficient production car ever made, until the Ioniq came along.

Advertisement