Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Right afterwards

A few weeks ago (at approximately 10 month stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 0879628553

who did you have it done with?

0879628553 wrote: »
    who did you have it done with?

Dr Bisanga,he's based in Brussels but has a secondary clinic in Athens which is where I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

HBC08 wrote: »
    Dr Bisanga,he's based in Brussels but has a secondary clinic in Athens which is where I went.

very nice man, hes one of the best. TBH i also agree i don't think ailesbury provide good results and not prescribing fin is just ensuring the customer will have to come back in a few years, how do people think their hairloss will automatically stop once they have had a transplant, its ridiculous hence why dr nel insists on fin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Looks great and not surprising, you went with one of the best.

Looks great and not surprising, you went with one of the best.

Thanks man,
    I might be going back to him for a job on the crown but im researching around again the last while to explore all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Much better in fairness.

To be honest, at this stage I'm just considering shaving mine. I'm married and settled, why do I care so much? Work and my family is what is putting me off doing either (shaving or transplant) so far. I keep going back and forth.

Much better in fairness.

To be honest, at this stage I'm just considering shaving mine. I'm married and settled, why do I care so much? Work and my family is what is putting me off doing either (shaving or transplant) so far. I keep going back and forth.

If its something thats bothering you and you're in a position to do something about it then do! Just do your due diligence first.
    I'm settled down and in my 40s,my mrs thought I was mental but told me to go ahead if it was bugging me.We made a weekend away out of it to London for consultation last year and I booked for surgery 4 weeks later.
    As regards shaving or HT or whatever,the best advise I got was that nobody cares.
    I've found this to be the case,I didn't tell anyone and nobody noticed (except my mother!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,679 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If its something thats bothering you and you're in a position to do something about it then do! Just do your due diligence first.
    I'm settled down and in my 40s,my mrs thought I was mental but told me to go ahead if it was bugging me.We made a weekend away out of it to London for consultation last year and I booked for surgery 4 weeks later.
    As regards shaving or HT or whatever,the best advise I got was that nobody cares.
    I've found this to be the case,I didn't tell anyone and nobody noticed (except my mother!)

I'd be singing it from the roof, I don't get the shame in it. Geez if anything people would be so so jealous.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to get it done with Dr. Juan Couto in Madrid, but even getting a reply via email from them is a result. I was suppose to be there in May for a consultation, and to arrange a surgery date, but with Lockdown, and the state of Madrid they were closed, and it's all just up in the air now.
    Arranged to send detailed photos instead of in person consultation but I didn't even hear back. They are swamped with emails so they tell me, 1000s per week. Huge waiting list, but I just wanted to get on the list, I'm okay with waiting.

https://www.instagram.com/fuexpertclinic/?hl=en

His work is renowned world over

In my opinion hes one of the best in the world,I did research him but at the time there was a 2 year waiting list so I looked at other similar options elsewhere.How much is he charging now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paul000111

1) I replied that I understood and there would be no way they'd be showing my pics to anyone either.However I wasn't going to choose a clinic without seeing loads of results,other clinics manage to do this.

2) I have to totally disagree with you here.Its a big decision to take or not to take finesteride,I really recommend anybody considering it to be aware of things that can possibly go wrong. However,it's not used to beef up their results per say but used as a preventative measure for future balding in areas they may not even have touched.Most men are going to keep receding and/or thinning, it may slow down a bit,it may stabilise but it'll keep going without medication.Down the line you would have a tuft of hair at the front as the rest gradually disappears,forward planning is an essential part of the whole thing.

3) Going by hairs is just dishonest, there's no reputable HT Dr in the world going by hairs so ask yourself why is this clinic in the miniscule % who do?

4) They are charging top dollar and haven't got the results to back it up.

Anyway,as mentioned these are just my opinions on it.The more reasoned debate and info there is out there the better.I know you went there and you sound satisfied which is the main thing. We're all just hoping for good results at the end of it all!

Hi mate, your HT looks great.
    On my HT, yes I mean hairs and not graphs, I was aware of this and they made it clear that they talk in hairs and not graphs. That wasn’t an issue for me.
    I wanted more hair in my temples and around my fringe, so I wasn’t looking for a huge number to be transplanted.
    If COVID wasn’t here, chances are I would have gone to Turkey, I’ve been talking to clinics there since May and had settled on Dr Clink.
    I went to Ailesbury after reading about them on here.
    Could I have got better value for money going to Turkey, without a doubt. But it’s a bit like traveling to the UK to import a car to save a few quid. For me, paying extra to avoid the difficulties traveling through lock down, leaving my house at. 7 am and being back home. 6 hours later and not having to face 3 or 4 hours on a flight were all reasons that made feel like I got value for money.

I have been on finestride since January, I actually stopped just before the HT and have been taking saw palmetto since. For me, I saw no improvement and couldn’t honestly saw it even slowed down the hair loss. While I didn’t experience any side effect, it played on my mind a lot, and I wasn’t ever comfortable taking it. Saw palmetto is herbal, and has been proved to be successful in some cases, it makes it and easier pill to swallow, so to speak.
    The fact that Ailesbury won’t prescribe it hardly a reason to call them out negatively, they don’t recommend a drug that has mixed results, but potential side effects- I can’t see the flaw here.

This is only my opinion, based on my experience in the last month, but based on this, I found them professional and exceptionally friendly. If I had to have a HT again at a later date, I’d more than likely go back to them.

Paul000111 wrote: »
    Hi mate, your HT looks great.
    On my HT, yes I mean hairs and not graphs, I was aware of this and they made it clear that they talk in hairs and not graphs. That wasn’t an issue for me.
    I wanted more hair in my temples and around my fringe, so I wasn’t looking for a huge number to be transplanted.
    If COVID wasn’t here, chances are I would have gone to Turkey, I’ve been talking to clinics there since May and had settled on Dr Clink.
    I went to Ailesbury after reading about them on here.
    Could I have got better value for money going to Turkey, without a doubt. But it’s a bit like traveling to the UK to import a car to save a few quid. For me, paying extra to avoid the difficulties traveling through lock down, leaving my house at. 7 am and being back home. 6 hours later and not having to face 3 or 4 hours on a flight were all reasons that made feel like I got value for money.

I have been on finestride since January, I actually stopped just before the HT and have been taking saw palmetto since. For me, I saw no improvement and couldn’t honestly saw it even slowed down the hair loss. While I didn’t experience any side effect, it played on my mind a lot, and I wasn’t ever comfortable taking it. Saw palmetto is herbal, and has been proved to be successful in some cases, it makes it and easier pill to swallow, so to speak.
    The fact that Ailesbury won’t prescribe it hardly a reason to call them out negatively, they don’t recommend a drug that has mixed results, but potential side effects- I can’t see the flaw here.

This is only my opinion, based on my experience in the last month, but based on this, I found them professional and exceptionally friendly. If I had to have a HT again at a later date, I’d more than likely go back to them.

I take your point with the car importing analogy,it would have been much more convenient to have it done here but to follow than on the car I wanted wasnt on offer in Ireland.
    There's no guarantees with hts,all you can do is minimise the risk,the level of surgeon I wanted wasnt available in Ireland. Originally I was ok with going to Turkey but the more I looked into each clinic the more I saw I would be taking a risk with techs etc.I decided if I was going to do it I would find the best surgeon I could just about afford ( he was not much more expensive than Ailsbery) As mentioned in other posts this is purely my opinion and everybody has to do whatever they think is best,we all think we're right!
    When you have virtually every dr/clinic in the world (I have no link and I wouldn't think a link exists ) that encourage or in some cases insist on finesteride then you have to ask yourself why does one small clinic in Dublin go against the grain?
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on their stance on finesteride
    It sounds like you were happy with them and that's the main thing.

In my opinion hes one of the best in the world,I did research him but at the time there was a 2 year waiting list so I looked at other similar options elsewhere.How much is he charging now?

No idea, a frustrating process. I'd be okay with waiting two year. But even corresponding takes months with them. Too many insta and youtube vids, and 1000s flocking to him because of results shown.

They really need a patient email address, I was booked ,and had everything filed with them. Not for surgery, but for consultation in Madrid

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

I take your point with the car importing analogy,it would have been much more convenient to have it done here but to follow than on the car I wanted wasnt on offer in Ireland.
    There's no guarantees with hts,all you can do is minimise the risk,the level of surgeon I wanted wasnt available in Ireland. Originally I was ok with going to Turkey but the more I looked into each clinic the more I saw I would be taking a risk with techs etc.I decided if I was going to do it I would find the best surgeon I could just about afford ( he was not much more expensive than Ailsbery) As mentioned in other posts this is purely my opinion and everybody has to do whatever they think is best,we all think we're right!
    When you have virtually every dr/clinic in the world (I have no link and I wouldn't think a link exists ) that encourage or in some cases insist on finesteride then you have to ask yourself why does one small clinic in Dublin go against the grain?
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on their stance on finesteride
    It sounds like you were happy with them and that's the main thing.

Did you do much research on HRBR?

Shane732 wrote: »
    Did you do much research on HRBR?

Their set up looks good and I imagine they work to a high standard with Dr only led surgery.Their results look good,I imagine you would in safe hands there.

They were the first clinic I looked into,it's was frustrating as it took a lot of over and back before they would eventually admit their prices (Not a good sign!)
    €10 per graft,the most expensive I found anywhere in the world,that was my last contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Their set up looks good and I imagine they work to a high standard with Dr only led surgery.Their results look good,I imagine you would in safe hands there.

They were the first clinic I looked into,it's was frustrating as it took a lot of over and back before they would eventually admit their prices (Not a good sign!)
    €10 per graft,the most expensive I found anywhere in the world,that was my last contact with them.

You do see some celebrities go their and get very good results

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Their set up looks good and I imagine they work to a high standard with Dr only led surgery.

If ever someone had certain notions about themselves than HRBR is the one. Who are the mentalists paying that? I’d have to assume it was the same type of person who also had notions.

There’s so much better out there. Even taking Dr Bruno Ferreria in Portugal who charges €2.5 a graft (I believe) and he is world renowned also. He actually lectures at ISHRS events on FUE techniques. These are the surgeons that people should be considering, along with the ones mentioned above and Dr Nel in Ireland.

You do see some celebrities go their and get very good results

Classic example jimmy nesbitt who goes to hrbr as to why many transplant's are needed if you don't take finasteride.

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Classic example jimmy nesbitt who goes to hrbr as to why many transplant's are needed if you don't take finasteride.

Yeah I would rather get multiple transplants then take Finasteride, there are some potential serious effects with it, it definitely works for most though, it’s just a matter of risk/reward

Yeah I would rather get multiple transplants then take Finasteride, there are some potential serious effects with it, it definitely works for most though, it’s just a matter of risk/reward

yeah up to the individual but getting multiple transplants also comes with risks as the more often you get them the more chance of a less desired outcome due to continual damage to the scalp from surgery. finasteride ehas been on the market since 1997, its only relatively recent that side-effects have been reported and lot of the sides may me mentally induced, obviously with any meds side effects are a problem but i think fins have been blown out of proportion due to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

iebamm2580 wrote: »

He’s had at least 6 according to the Mail. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6738573/amp/Cold-Feet-actor-James-Nesbitt-54-spend-20-000-SIXTH-hair-transplant.html
    You’d wonder how much donor hair he has left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I took finasteride for approximately 18 months and there was a definite impact on my libido.

For example, to be blunt - I don't think I had 'morning wood' once. I use that example as it's a strong indicator that it wasn't psychological. Since I stopped I have it almost daily. Erection strength was definitely down too and has recovered.

Obviously my hairloss has accelerated a little since stopping.

I don't think it's worth it, personally. I wouldn't take it again, even if I were to consider a transplant down the line. I find that people too easily dismiss the side effects as mental, just to rationalise it to themselves.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    I took finasteride for approximately 18 months and there was a definite impact on my libido.

For example, to be blunt - I don't think I had 'morning wood' once. I use that example as it's a strong indicator that it wasn't psychological. Since I stopped I have it almost daily. Erection strength was definitely down too and has recovered.

I don't think it's worth it, personally. I wouldn't take it again, even if I were to consider a transplant down the line. I find that people too easily dismiss the side effects as mental, just to rationalise it to themselves.

thats fair enough man, cant say i have noticed anything on 3times a week regimen, but there is definitely a placebo effect too like with all meds.

I took finesteride for about 8 years and had some minor sides ( bit of moobs,occasional pain in ball sack,occasional pain in nipples,watery semen) none of this bothered me too much but i stopped taking it about 4 years ago.
    I'm planning to start again in the next few months so ill see how I get on!

I took finesteride for about 8 years and had some minor sides ( bit of moobs,occasional pain in ball sack,occasional pain in nipples,watery semen) none of this bothered me too much but i stopped taking it about 4 years ago.
    I'm planning to start again in the next few months so ill see how I get on!

I TOOK IT FOR 3YEARS EVERYDAY 1.25MG HAD WATERY SEMEN TOO, DR NEL SAID 3 TIMES A WEEK IS ENOUGH AND NOW I HAVE NO SIDES AFTER GOING BACK ON IT LAST YEAR.

Coybig_ wrote: »

How much did you take. Was it the 5mg cut into 4? See that would be 1.25. Which is higher than the 1mg tablet for hairloss. But even 1mg is too high.
    I was taking it with same issue as you, the 5mg tablet cut into 4, now one 5mg tablet lasts me 3 weeks. I scrape a few pieces of the tablet off each take, probably the size of 4 grains of sugar. I take this daily, zero effect, and does the job, hair is staple and has been for 2 years plus.

It's a powerful drug, a taste a day is enough to keep hair staple.

How much did you take. Was it the 5mg cut into 4? See that would be 1.25. Which is higher than the 1mg tablet for hairloss. But even 1mg is too high.
    I was taking it with same issue as you, the 5mg tablet cut into 4, now one 5mg tablet lasts me 3 weeks. I scrape a few pieces of the tablet off each take, probably the size of 4 grains of sugar. I take this daily, zero effect, and does the job, hair is staple and has been for 2 years plus.

It's a powerful drug, a taste a day is enough to keep hair staple.

Interesting, I was getting the 5mg and having a nibble off it every morning aiming to take about a quarter each day. This time I have 1mg capsules and will be taking every 2nd day.Lots of evidence to show now that it's not nessesary to take 1 mg a day and the reduced dose reduces sides aswell.

• Advertisement

I did a lot of research on it, Pete Davidson was tAking it. He said he could only have sex once a day but it saved his hair. Imagine that when you are going out with Ariana Grandia. Some get people get zero sides. Some get permanent sides after being on the drug or it can take years to recover from. I was very close to getting a prescription but decided it wasn’t worth it.
    I surprised they haven’t been able to reformulate it to. have less sides/risks.

Advertisement