Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paul000111

0879628553 wrote: »
    Hate to be the pedantic police.Your point being?How did they have that procedure if ailesbury are closed?

Where did you hear they are closed mate? I just did a separate reply to your first post. All parts of my consultation, through to the actual op were in lock down. It’s a private clinic, and is Dublin city center, so it’s not restricted by lock down rules

• Registered Users Posts: 13 0879628553

Its on there website paul,top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,345 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

They performed surgeries during the last lockdown too. I was due to go up for my 10 month consultation while Dublin was in level 3 and they said they would give me a letter saying I was coming up for an essential consultation for if i was stopped. I still didnt go as my family were freaking out about me travelling up to "dangerous" dublin. Hoping to get up there when/if things ever settle down

Its on there website paul,top of the page.

I must have went to the wrong ailesbury clinic ?

https://www.ailesburyhairclinic.ie/home.html

One in the city and one in clonskeagh.

• Advertisement

One in the city and one in clonskeagh.

They do skin and beauty treatments, the clonskeagh crowd

And hair restoration

And hair restoration

Yes, hair restoration. Not hair transplants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Rikand wrote: »
    Yes, hair restoration. Not hair transplants.

Why does any of this matter? Why on earth would a business comply with level 5 restrictions if the restrictions are not enforced and penalties are not being imposed?

I guess if its essential, its essential. And peoples mental health benefits from having a transplant done are probably deemed essential enough. I doubt they'd be operating unless they had government approval

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

Re Ailesbury remaining open, i asked this as I am booked in for February. They worked away through lockdown 1.0 as they are deemed a medical service. It was reassuring when booking that it wouldn't be cancelled in the event of a lockdown 3.0 next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Nobody with propecia side effects ???

I noticed tir na nog were closed and thought all HT clinics were closed for 6 weeks under level 5

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Pau000111 wrote: »
    Hi mate,
    All stages of my HT with this clinic were during lock down.
    My consultation was 4 weeks before the actual HT, during that time they request that you attend your GP for blood tests, these need to be sent over before the op.
    My HT was 9n November 1st, a Sunday morning. I double checked that it could proceed due to L5 restrictions, the explained there is no reason not to.
    It’s a private clinic, I live in Dublin , so no international travel, and everyone
    ( including me) wore masks and gloves throughout.
    I had done my research into turkey, and probably would have gone to Dr Clink if there were no travel restrictions.
    For me, Dublin was a great option, yes it was more expensive than Turkey, but it’s all relative. I left my house the morning of the HT, I was at the clinic 20 mins later, I was home and watching TV at 4pm that afternoon.
    It’s been 2 weeks since my HT, and like all the guys who have taken the plunge on here, the feeling of relief is amazing. It’s early days, but I’m delighted with it.
    I was back in work 4 days after the op, I told a couple of people, but it’s impossible to tell unless your looking for it, the fact that they didn’t have to shave the recipient area is a game changer, your existing hair (if any) covers the redness ( plus I’m fair/ginger) my skin goes red easy if it’s sore.
    I’ll take some pics today and share, happy to take any questions.

How much did you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paul000111

How much did you pay?

I paid. €5,000 for between 2000 and 2500 hairs.
    But I also had to pay 250 for blood tests at my doctors before attending.
    I did a post on page 48 that goes through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

Paul000111 wrote: »
    I paid. €5,000 for between 2000 and 2500 hairs.
    But I also had to pay 250 for blood tests at my doctors before attending.
    I did a post on page 48 that goes through the process.

Sorry I presume you mean grafts and not hairs?

5000 euros for 2000 grafts would be good value in ireland
    5000 euro for 2000 hairs would be pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭HBC08

Sorry I presume you mean grafts and not hairs?

I went to Ailsbery clinic for a consultation. One of the many red flags that day was they were talking about hairs and not grafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

HBC08 wrote: »
    I went to Ailsbery clinic for a consultation. One of the many red flags that day was they were talking about hairs and not grafts.

What were the other red flags with Ailesbury ??

They make no secret that its hairs and not grafts . Its in big print on the consent form how many hairs (stating not grafts) they will be transplanting.

They price by hair, but they extract by the graft

• Advertisement

20/20 wrote: »
    What were the other red flags with Ailesbury ??

They make no secret that its hairs and not grafts . Its in big print on the consent form how many hairs (stating not grafts) they will be transplanting.

They couldnt give more than a couple of before/after patient pics (They explained to me that people don't like to make their before and after pics public)
    They wouldn't be able to prescribe/procure finesteride for me.They don't advise taking it and have no plan or action for continuing MPB except Saw Palmetta which is a vitamin you buy in Boots and is not proven to work.
    Talking in hairs is as inaccurate as it is dishonest.2000 hairs for example could be 700 grafts in one person and 1500 for another.
    The price,I was quoted €4000 for 2000 hairs.You could get a reasonably safe bet turkish clinic for half that (and 3-4 times the amout of grafts)
    The price they quoted was approximately €4 per graft,that kind of money gets you the very best in Europe....and that ain't Ailsbery.

Based on the consultation I had with them I wouldn't have let them near my head if they were paying me.
    This was about 2 years ago and there were no viable Irish options at the time (That I knew about anyway) If i knew about Dr Nel at the time I deffo would have went for a consultation to see what he had to say.I don't know if he's any good but i hear good things about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

They wouldn't be able to prescribe/procure finesteride for me.They don't advise taking it and have no plan or action for continuing MPB except Saw Palmetta which is a vitamin you buy in Boots and is not proven to work.

“A later study assessing usage of 320mg saw palmetto over the course of two years in otherwise healthy men with male pattern baldness noted that 38% of subjects treated with saw palmetto reported an increase in hair growth which performed less effectively than 1mg finasteride (66%); saw palmetto appeared to work primarily at the crown of the head whereas finasteride was effective at the crown and frontal regions”.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23298508/

You have to be careful saying things don’t work, they might not have worked for you which is fine to say but it doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t work for someone else. Secondly, you should also be aware that scientists (read as pharmaceutical companies) aren’t as inclined to research supplements as they are big Pharma company drugs, for obvious monetary reasons.

“A later study assessing usage of 320mg saw palmetto over the course of two years in otherwise healthy men with male pattern baldness noted that 38% of subjects treated with saw palmetto reported an increase in hair growth which performed less effectively than 1mg finasteride (66%); saw palmetto appeared to work primarily at the crown of the head whereas finasteride was effective at the crown and frontal regions”.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23298508/

You have to be careful saying things don’t work, they might not have worked for you which is fine to say but it doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t work for someone else. Secondly, you should also be aware that scientists (read as pharmaceutical companies) aren’t as inclined to research supplements as they are big Pharma company drugs, for obvious monetary reasons.

Fair enough,maybe i should have said is not proven to work on the same scale or has as many conclusive studies.You make a good point about research but you won't find many studies conclusively showing saw Palmetta to work well.
    I actually take it myself on the off chance that it might work a bit.
    Ailsbery clinic were the only one i found that actively discouraged Finesteride.
    Im currently not taking finesteride but will start again in the near future.
    I should say aswell that the above was my experience of that clinic,I know some lads on here have gone there and they might have had great experiences/results etc

They couldnt give more than a couple of before/after patient pics (They explained to me that people don't like to make their before and after pics public)
    Talking in hairs is as inaccurate as it is dishonest.2000 hairs for example could be 700 grafts in one person and 1500 for another.
    The price,I was quoted €4000 for 2000 hairs.You could get a reasonably safe bet turkish clinic for half that (and 3-4 times the amout of grafts)
    The price they quoted was approximately €4 per graft,that kind of money gets you the very best in Europe....and that ain't Ailsbery..

1. So client confidentiality is important to them ? That's a good thing imo. I would guess a majority of people dont want to be known they had a transplant.

2. No fin was one of the main selling points for me. A drug with its potential side effects are not something they are prepared to offer to their clients. That they are offering Saw instead means they stand by the quality of their transplants more without it being beefed up by fin.

3. If you go to a clinic and they offer you 1000 grafts. Theres no guarantee of the number of hairs you are getting either. Not saying hairs is better, but both have their merits and failings

4. 4000 euro was pricey for 2000 hairs imo. You're paying potentially 5€ per graft and that's a little steep for ireland. You definitely shouldnt be paying more than 4 euro per graft and actually should be aiming for around 3.50. My own transplant worked out at around 3.50 per graft, though I got a small discount based on what they were offering boards.ie members a few years ago and I basically told them I was poor from the outset lol.

Rikand wrote: »
    1. So client confidentiality is important to them ? That's a good thing imo. I would guess a majority of people dont want to be known they had a transplant.

2. No fin was one of the main selling points for me. A drug with its potential side effects are not something they are prepared to offer to their clients. That they are offering Saw instead means they stand by the quality of their transplants more without it being beefed up by fin.

3. If you go to a clinic and they offer you 1000 grafts. Theres no guarantee of the number of hairs you are getting either. Not saying hairs is better, but both have their merits and failings

4. 4000 euro was pricey for 2000 hairs imo. You're paying potentially 5€ per graft and that's a little steep for ireland. You definitely shouldnt be paying more than 4 euro per graft and actually should be aiming for around 3.50. My own transplant worked out at around 3.50 per graft, though I got a small discount based on what they were offering boards.ie members a few years ago and I basically told them I was poor from the outset lol.

1) I replied that I understood and there would be no way they'd be showing my pics to anyone either.However I wasn't going to choose a clinic without seeing loads of results,other clinics manage to do this.

2) I have to totally disagree with you here.Its a big decision to take or not to take finesteride,I really recommend anybody considering it to be aware of things that can possibly go wrong. However,it's not used to beef up their results per say but used as a preventative measure for future balding in areas they may not even have touched.Most men are going to keep receding and/or thinning, it may slow down a bit,it may stabilise but it'll keep going without medication.Down the line you would have a tuft of hair at the front as the rest gradually disappears,forward planning is an essential part of the whole thing.

3) Going by hairs is just dishonest, there's no reputable HT Dr in the world going by hairs so ask yourself why is this clinic in the miniscule % who do?

4) They are charging top dollar and haven't got the results to back it up.

Anyway,as mentioned these are just my opinions on it.The more reasoned debate and info there is out there the better.I know you went there and you sound satisfied which is the main thing. We're all just hoping for good results at the end of it all!

HBC08 Have you had a hair transplant ?

20/20 wrote: »
    HBC08 Have you had a hair transplant ?

Yes,after a lot of research (maybe too much!) I went in January his year so im 11 months in.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Yes,after a lot of research (maybe too much!) I went in January his year so im 11 months in.

How’s it looking now?

Have you posted any pictures. It would be nice for people to see before and after.?

• Advertisement

Before pics

Advertisement