Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭goingagain

Moving! wrote: »
    Months on, still looking for a house and seeing very little of the type of house we're looking for in the area we're hoping for. This one came up recently - there's a settled halting site in Kimmage Manor Way about four doors down from it:
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-the-recorders-whitehall-road-terenure-dublin-12-d12-pt89/4466920

Came across this old post which has me thinking twice about even making a viewing inquiry for it:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85127534

Checked with the Gardai in Terenure and although the Garda I spoke to didn't tell me much, he didn't say anything negative about it.

The more that supply drops, I feel the more likely it is that we could end up making a poor decision on our next house. What seemed like a realistic goal to us 6 months ago is now a pipedream! Any thoughts or do any of you know the area well?

That site is very settled and you wouldn’t know it was there.

But I think that house looks overpriced.

For me I would rather Wainsfort Manor or Kimmage Manor

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/106-wainsfort-road-dublin-6w-dublin/4446490

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/25-wainsfort-manor-crescent-terenure-dublin-6w/4460292

I’d even rather one of the bungalows in Wainsfort with a big garden that you can extend.

Sale agreed since end of July on my house and sale agreed on a house to buy since start of Aug. It’s all moving slowly.

Just one outstanding item with solicitors and hoping to sign soon. Closing date the 8th January .

shesty wrote: »
    I don't think we would be homeless, but I would be concerned that we would end up putting our house up and taking it off the market a few times, or go sale agreed and then end up under pressure to settle for a house for ourselves that we aren't all that happy with. We also don't want to be messing a potential buyer and estate agent around by stringing out the date to hand over our house. The main reason basically is that the supply that we are looking at is quite slow to show up on the market - we are trading up in our area - so it isn't as though there is something new to look at every week. We have looked at a number of houses in the last 8 months or so, but they haven't worked out for various reasons.Houses of the type that we might trade up to, are only popping up around here at a rate of maybe 1-2 per month, so there isn't that steady supply - I would have no confidence of finding something for ourselves within a couple of months at the rate things have gone so far this year.

I think this side of Christmas anyway, we will leave things as they are, and make a decision in the New Year.

We were in exact same position. Decided to trade up in our area last January. Estate agent said we had to be on market before we could consider making an offer etc

We put ours up just before lock down and took it down for a while.

This year there has only been 2 house we were interested in on the market. First we lost out on as our house wasn’t sale agreed, 2nd one we’re sale agreed on

My advice would be to get your house declutter, painted etc and get the estate agent to take the pictures and have it ready so you can have it on the market ASAP and ready to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

GrumPy wrote: »
    Solicitor sent another chaser to vendors side again today. Several pre-contratual questions remain outstanding, but the main sticking point seems to be the land registry.
    EA suggested consideration of a caretakers agreement, as the property is vacant. However, solicitor advised against it - legal minefield.

So we march forward, essentially having made no progress since Oct... Feel like marching into the vendor solicitors office and rattling a few cages at this stage.

I'm glad your solicitor is proactive. It is painful when the vendor's solicitor is slow to respond/update when they are the only one who can deal with the land registry! I hope you hear back soon. It is certainly harder when you know it is is not a typical step like awaiting contract/full loan and therefore hard to know how long it will be.

I would definitely advise against caretaker's agreement. We were offered that too. A nightmare for insurance purposes.

Our timeline with land registry (pre-Covid) was instrument requested in mid-October, received end of November...maps compared to folio and confirmed neither could close the sale in mid-December. Applications to fix folios and adverse possession can take more than a year in normal times. Absolutely crazy that a government body can be that inefficient.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Reins wrote: »
    Or something else.

Okay - What's the something else?

Middle of the road offer. No offer. Offer with a deadline. Come back to me if the other bidders fall through. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's all complete guesswork what bidding strategy will work in your scenario with your specific set of other parties.

Even if you knew the position of the other bidders and the vendor, you'd still be guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Snagging today. Just got a text from snagger. Can’t do it due to having to be covid tested. He could’ve told us yesterday, not today at 8am. Now a full day wasted and who knows when we will snag

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Snagging today. Just got a text from snagger. Can’t do it due to having to be covid tested. He could’ve told us yesterday, not today at 8am. Now a full day wasted and who knows when we will snag

If you have an eye for details and would be comfortable enough then you could do your own snag list. Or ring around every number you can find online to see if anyone can do it. Or if your housing development has a residents Facebook page to see if anyone else is snagging today and you could ask their snagger to do yours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Silly question but went sale agreed recently and have to call to house for a second viewing to check something out. Seller/EA has agreed. Does the EA have to be here while we visit? The reason I ask is that she hasn't mentioned she'll be coming and it'll be odd if it's the seller? Should I double check this or is it a given the EA will faciliate this? Just thinking of security, insurance etc? Contracts are not signed yet.

FYI to anyone with PTSB, unlike other banks they hadn't been hit with the same impacts other banks have had due to Covid. But in the last month or so they are running approx nearly 2 weeks behind now apparently.

wassie wrote: »
    Neither - I'd offer 5K above current offer so you can flesh out the bidders. Then the other bidders are forced to show their hand. The agent will keep you in the loop. If they start a bidding way, then sit back and wait a while.

After engaging in several bidding wars this year and experiencing all different tactics, I honestly don't think there are any magic tricks or games worthwhile playing.

Decide if you want the house, bid, be open, be honest, be transparent. Keep your head and don't overbid beyond your means.

The drugs games don't work. Unless you're buying in a low demand area...

Anyone know anything about this house? https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/257-richmond-road-drumcondra-drumcondra-dublin-2393374/

It's been up on daft 3/4 times in the last 12 months, marked as sale agreed and comes back listed again around the same price. Pure nosiness on my part but wondered if anyone viewed it or looked into it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lcarrol3

Pink11 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this house? https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/257-richmond-road-drumcondra-drumcondra-dublin-2393374/

It's been up on daft 3/4 times in the last 12 months, marked as sale agreed and comes back listed again around the same price. Pure nosiness on my part but wondered if anyone viewed it or looked into it?

We looked into this house. It's actually only half the house that's for sale and the other half is for sale as a separate unit (entrance around the corner). That's what turned us off anyway!

Silly question but went sale agreed recently and have to call to house for a second viewing to check something out. Seller/EA has agreed. Does the EA have to be here while we visit? The reason I ask is that she hasn't mentioned she'll be coming and it'll be odd if it's the seller? Should I double check this or is it a given the EA will faciliate this? Just thinking of security, insurance etc? Contracts are not signed yet. .

Wouldn't be any reason that the EA would have to be there. When I sold my last house, the sellers came a few times when I was there, to check different things.

lcarrol3 wrote: »
    We looked into this house. It's actually only half the house that's for sale and the other half is for sale as a separate unit (entrance around the corner). That's what turned us off anyway!
    Wow. that photo is so misleading. There has to be something wrong with the house, looks decent inside but going sale agreed and then back out weeks later 3/4 times is suspicious!

Had a look on street view, I see what you mean now. Hadn't spotted that before.
    Wouldn't be any reason that the EA would have to be there. When I sold my last house, the sellers came a few times when I was there, to check different things.
    Thanks, will sit back so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Pink11 wrote:
    FYI to anyone with PTSB, unlike other banks they hadn't been hit with the same impacts other banks have had due to Covid. But in the last month or so they are running approx nearly 2 weeks behind now apparently.

How do you mean they haven't been hit with the same impacts? Genuinely curious, not being smart in case it comes across that way.

Just FYI, our buyer was with PTSB, due to close on Oct 2nd and we vacated the house by the 1st, the sale didn't close until Oct 13th purely because of delays with his bank. It was extremely frustrating considering I had given birth two weeks previously and we are paying for storage for all of our things, so we really could have done with those extra two weeks in the house. Perhaps your solicitor should give them plenty of notice of the closing date so the same doesn't happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

5 weeks from sale agreed and all but the joint bank account are in order.
    We have the hard copy of the loan offer, life insurance, etc ready and the vendor is very keen for us to sign ASAP.

It's been mega stressful and an absolute sprint but it looks like we go from sale agreed to getting the keys in about 7 weeks. The vendor initially pushed for 4-6 which everyone thought was crazy but really the only thing that has been holding us up is KBC as they are currently running at a snails pace.
    There was a solid 2/3 weeks were nothing was happening as we waited for the loan offer to come through but honestly I can't argue with their fixed term interest rates.

Fingers are firmly crossed to move in early december, we being first time buyers we were very excited to book our slot at Killakee christmas tree farm for our first ever tree. :pac:

Honestly the only thing that's kept me going through this process from saving, applying for AIP and up to now has been reading everyone else's rants and rejoices.
    A struggle we all bare together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's been mega stressful and an absolute sprint but it looks like we go from sale agreed to getting the keys in about 7 weeks.

Wow, some turn around. In the same time window, nothing happened on our purchase! 😅
    Congrats! Would be fabulous for everyone in the process to get things over the line this side of Christmas.

Does anyone know can contracts be issued if a house is currently in probate and grant has not been issued yet? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

GrumPy wrote: »
    Wow, some turn around. In the same time window, nothing happened on our purchase! ��
    Congrats! Would be fabulous for everyone in the process to get things over the line this side of Christmas.

It's a rare one alright, it's a vacant house that was previously sale agreed, this meant everything was already in place on their side so all that was left to do was go through the motions with the bank.
    Thanks!

Absolutely, I have a couple of friends at similar stages to myself but who have been held up months, I'd love to see everyone get something worthwhile out if this year.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    How do you mean they haven't been hit with the same impacts? Genuinely curious, not being smart in case it comes across that way.

Just FYI, our buyer was with PTSB, due to close on Oct 2nd and we vacated the house by the 1st, the sale didn't close until Oct 13th purely because of delays with his bank. It was extremely frustrating considering I had given birth two weeks previously and we are paying for storage for all of our things, so we really could have done with those extra two weeks in the house. Perhaps your solicitor should give them plenty of notice of the closing date so the same doesn't happen to you.

Understanding from my broker was that since March, there has been a natural slow down on admin/lead time by the banks due to working from home etc.

KBC apparently were the worst hit with PTSB not being too bad up until recently. We just so happened to go with PTSB because it was a better offer for our circumstances. Now we're hearing we're about 2 weeks behind, similar to your timeline - apparently up until August/September, PTSB lead times weren't affected as much as the others. Just going on what our broker tells us.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

We have the hard copy of the loan offer, life insurance, etc ready and the vendor is very keen for us to sign ASAP.

It's been mega stressful and an absolute sprint but it looks like we go from sale agreed to getting the keys in about 7 weeks. The vendor initially pushed for 4-6 which everyone thought was crazy but really the only thing that has been holding us up is KBC as they are currently running at a snails pace.
    There was a solid 2/3 weeks were nothing was happening as we waited for the loan offer to come through but honestly I can't argue with their fixed term interest rates.

Fingers are firmly crossed to move in early december, we being first time buyers we were very excited to book our slot at Killakee christmas tree farm for our first ever tree. :pac:

Honestly the only thing that's kept me going through this process from saving, applying for AIP and up to now has been reading everyone else's rants and rejoices.

I would advise ringing your solicitor to confirm everything is in order, ie planning permission for extensions checked and deed is in oder etc just to pre-empt any last minute "oh" moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭busylady

Ridgerun wrote: »
    Does anyone know can contracts be issued if a house is currently in probate and grant has not been issued yet? Thanks in advance.

Yes contracts can be issued , and there will be a condition that the closing date will be after the issue of the Grant of Probate. Contracts can be signed, closing documents prepared and everything in place for closing shortly after the grant has issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Understanding from my broker was that since March, there has been a natural slow down on admin/lead time by the banks due to working from home etc.

KBC apparently were the worst hit with PTSB not being too bad up until recently. We just so happened to go with PTSB because it was a better offer for our circumstances. Now we're hearing we're about 2 weeks behind, similar to your timeline - apparently up until August/September, PTSB lead times weren't affected as much as the others. Just going on what our broker tells us.

That’s interesting because I called each of the banks and KBC were the only one that would take a routine call/request after 6pm :rolleyes: but yeah I understand , especially with people WFH, they can’t even get answers without having to send and receive IMs etc

Ridgerun wrote:

Yes we are in this exact position and contracts are signed by both sides, so "the property is secure" as our solicitor put it.

Wish we had never gone down this road, 10 weeks later and no progress and nothing we can do about it. We were told probate was granted before we bid on the house and it only came to light that this was untrue when contracts arrived with our solicitor, by which point our own house was sale agreed and I was having a Csection the day after this emerged. So, we proceeded with the purchase as we feared it would take too long and be too big of a risk to go hunting again. We closed on the sale of our own house and we are stuck here in my parents house and really wish I could turn back time and buy any other house. I know it will be worth it in the end but it is extremely stressful and difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Yes we are in this exact position and contracts are signed by both sides, so "the property is secure" as our solicitor put it.

Wish we had never gone down this road, 10 weeks later and no progress and nothing we can do about it. We were told probate was granted before we bid on the house and it only came to light that this was untrue when contracts arrived with our solicitor, by which point our own house was sale agreed and I was having a Csection the day after this emerged. So, we proceeded with the purchase as we feared it would take too long and be too big of a risk to go hunting again. We closed on the sale of our own house and we are stuck here in my parents house and really wish I could turn back time and buy any other house. I know it will be worth it in the end but it is extremely stressful and difficult.

In the grand scale of things, it's a blip. 20 years in the new house and you won't remember.

In the grand scale of things, it's a blip. 20 years in the new house and you won't remember.

I know you're right, but with a newborn and a toddler in limited space, lockdown and anxiety about Covid in general, and zero power to do anything about any if this, it's all really beginning to take its toll :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

lcarrol3 wrote: »

If it went sale agreed a few times and then the buyers pulled out it means
    A ) Surveyor found structural issues
    B ) Banks refused to give a mortgage because of split house or some other legal issues came up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Can anyone shed light on this - currently bidding on a house that was listed at 275. Current top offer is 300k and today house has been relisted at asking price of 300k. Any idea why this would happen? I just haven't seen this with any other houses we've been in bidding wars on.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

optogirl wrote: »
    Can anyone shed light on this - currently bidding on a house that was listed at 275. Current top offer is 300k and today house has been relisted at asking price of 300k. Any idea why this would happen? I just haven't seen this with any other houses we've been in bidding wars on.

This is common, they use a lower asking price to gather interest. It is very annoying to buyers but it seems to work so very common. They are essentially re-baslining it at 300 now and start from there now instead of having people ringing offering below or at old asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

optogirl wrote: »

They know it will get 300 k so now they want to see how much more they can get
    Some people will put a minimum price on their Daft /MyHome search filter
    People who would not look at houses below 300k now have this on their radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

Delighted for you! Fingers crossed the tree is picked and you’re all in in time for Christmas.

We are at sale agreed, survey done, holding deposit paid, contracts with solicitors, just waiting on KBC now. All documentation has been with them 3weeks and not a peep of AIP yet.

7 weeks sounds stressful, but a dream at this stage!

Advertisement