Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auris 1.8 hybrid

Options
  • 09-11-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I’m about to change my car and I’m considering an Auris 1.8 hybrid and would like to have some information about having an hybrid such:
    -is it reliable?
    -what is the average MPG knowing I live in Cork some up and down hills
    -what is a full service coast
    -how long does the hybrid batteries last as I’m willing to buy a secondhand car so have to look at the mileage

Many thanks for replying

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A hybrid is basically a slighlty more efficient petrol car with a larger battery for stop start.
    Unless you're pottering around town, a diesel will generally get the same or better mpg. And given that diesel is cheaper than petrol, be better on the wallet too.

My advice: Forget the hybrid nonsense and get either a proper EV or an efficient petrol/diesel car.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

lyes wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m about to change my car and I’m considering an Auris 1.8 hybrid and would like to have some information about having an hybrid such:
    -is it reliable?
    -how long does the hybrid batteries last as I’m willing to buy a secondhand car so have to look at the mileage

Many thanks for replying

Regards.

That's not an issue. Batteries should be fine to last the lifetime of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks. Worthy of as sticky:)

Next question having realised the only decent Phev is an i3 and out of the budget.
    Is there an EV with a range of 100km?

Though really starting to feel a diesel is my only option for now.

Even the shortest range Leaf will get you over 100km assuming it's got full battery capacity

The biggest question I'd be asking is how you'll charge.

Do you own your house and does it have off-street parking?
    Do you have (or would be willing to get) a night meter?

If yes to both of those, then an EV or PHEV is the way to go. You'll save a ton of money in fuel every year by charging at night rates using a home charger.

I've had a 24kWh Leaf for 3 years now and it's currently running about €1500 cheaper per year than a brand new 2.0l Golf TDI. That's based on fuel, road tax, tolls and maintenance savings. Depreciation hasn't been counted

So if you got a Diesel for €5k cheaper and kept it for 5 years you'd lose €2,500 compared to an EV

I was doing about 12,000km per year, commute to and from work was 20km each way and not once have I been in danger of running out of battery.

To give you an idea of what range you can get, here's some of the trips I've taken with my Leaf in the past year:

Swords -> Drogheda (78km), no recharges
    Swords -> Blessington (94km), no recharges
    Swords -> Glendalough, inc M50 (160km), 1x 30 mins recharge
    Swords -> Castleblayney (190km), 2x 30 mins recharges (1 each way)

I'd strongly recommend looking at a 30kWh Leaf and see if that will cover your needs

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

lyes wrote: »
    Hi,
    -is it reliable?

Many thanks for replying

Regards.

Some serious misinformation on here from the diesel brigade, as usual...

I own an Auris Hybrid 2012 and it averages 5.3l / 100km and I do a mix of driving, town motorway and country roads. And I don't drive it easy.

Reliability is 99.9% with the Hybrid system. Unlike a diesel vehicle, you will never have to change injectors, EGR valves, fuel filter, turbo, clogged manifolds, DPF or any of the other very expensive stuff that goes wrong on diesels.

There is no timing belt or fan belts to replace. Brake pads last 100k due to regenerative braking. There is no brake master cylinder or servo.

Regarding service costs - main dealer does service pack for €349. This covers 1 full service and 1 minor service. Spark plugs only changed at 90k, air filter at 60k. Servicing at a dealer will also cover your "big" battery for 15 years with the Hybrid Health Check once you service every year or 15k.

If you need any other info on it, I'd be happy to help, DM if you wish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

sumo12 wrote: »
    Some serious misinformation on here from the diesel brigade, as usual...

I own an Auris Hybrid 2012 and it averages 5.3l / 100km and I do a mix of driving, town motorway and country roads. And I don't drive it easy.

Reliability is 99.9% with the Hybrid system. Unlike a diesel vehicle, you will never have to change injectors, EGR valves, fuel filter, turbo, clogged manifolds, DPF or any of the other very expensive stuff that goes wrong on diesels.

There is no timing belt or fan belts to replace. Brake pads last 100k due to regenerative braking. There is no brake master cylinder or servo.

Regarding service costs - main dealer does service pack for €349. This covers 1 full service and 1 minor service. Spark plugs only changed at 90k, air filter at 60k. Servicing at a dealer will also cover your "big" battery for 15 years with the Hybrid Health Check once you service every year or 15k.

If you need any other info on it, I'd be happy to help, DM if you wish
    There's no diesel brigade on this thread that I can see.
    I'm on my third EV if you're referring to my post. We also own a 1.5 mk2 prius HEV with 150k miles on it.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm on my third EV if you're referring to my post. We also own a 1.5 mk2 prius HEV with 150k miles on it.

Nope, I was generalising. I've read so many posts on here from Hybrid bashers and diesel lovers, and I've spoke to so many people with the same opinions. It's borne out of a lack of understanding of Hybrids and how they work.

Apologies if you felt I was singling out your post, not my intention ;)
    MK2 Prius is an incredible car. So many of them out there with absolutely moon mileage on them with no issues except possibly a 12v battery replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ELM327 wrote: »

I think this thread got split out from a diesel vs hybrid one and now everyone is confused :confused:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was an old thread OP found by googling "hybrid" I presume and decided to use instead of starting a fresh one. It wasn't relevant to the OPs questions so I split it out but users already had read the old comments and responded..
    It's almost always better to start a fresh thread.

Back on this topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

I have owned a Hybrid Auris for the past few years.

Average consumption would be between 5.4 - 5.6l/100km from a mix of city, country and motorway driving.

The one thing I would say is to be mindful of the theft of catalytic converters in Hybrid Auris. It has exploded over the past few years and is something I am telling anyone interested in buying one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

irishlad. wrote: »
    I have owned a Hybrid Auris for the past few years.

Average consumption would be between 5.4 - 5.6l/100km from a mix of city, country and motorway driving.

The one thing I would say is to be mindful of the theft of catalytic converters in Hybrid Auris. It has exploded over the past few years and is something I am telling anyone interested in buying one.

I also own an Auris 1.8 Hybrid, my catalytic converter was stolen recently, the cost was covered by my insurance and my Toyota dealer fitted an anti-theft device consisting of cone shaped screw covers that make it difficult to undo the bolts holding it to the car, AFAIK Toyota are now fitting these free

Sumo 12 should have added that Toyota hybrids do not have a clutch or starter motor which partly explains their excellent reliability

Bebop wrote: »

Sumo 12 should have added that Toyota hybrids do not have a clutch or starter motor which partly explains their excellent reliability

Yes! You're right, I thought I had listed all the stuff that Hybrids don't have but missed those ones :D

Or an alternator for that matter!

Advertisement