Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car reversed into parked bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

cursai wrote: »
    Why would the gardai be involved in a civil matter? I can never understand this.

My child pissed in my flowerbed. Call the gards

For accidents involving vehicles they can be involved on suspicion the driver was intoxicated

In my crash they came to my hospital bed and accused me of leaving the scene of an accident and breathalysed me. The doctor was quick enough to tell them to **** off , as if I was going to wait 2 hours for them when I'm broken up. The lads I dealt with were clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is the damage bad?

Did the other driver want to settle outside?

Could be an option if not very expensive and then they won't lose no claims etc.....

A lot of people don't realise that what looks like a minor tip over of a bike can easily cause >€1000 of damage.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

Had a clown rear end my bike while it was parked launching it forward with a brake disc lock in place. he done a runner but luckily a fellow biker witnessed it and took a picture. With out him I would be in trouble as I use the bike for commuting. So yea id agree to repair something like that can cost minimum 1k.

I also had someone reverse into me in a cark park while I was sitting on it in a car space. luckily I was not knocked over and she only broke my indicator and scraped my front fairings. the driver was sound and gave me her details. got it sorted in a day without insurance.

If your policy has free legal get on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

A lot of people don't realise that what looks like a minor tip over of a bike can easily cause >€1000 of damage.

Most 'average' car drivers assume bikes are cheap, tell one that a fairing could cost upwards of a thousand euro and they're shocked, yet they seem to understand that a car bumper can cost that much???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A car drove into the back of me at a round about 10 years ago. She "thought I was going to move". She genuinely thought it would be an easy cheap couple quid to repair. It cost 6k to fix the bike (2009 ZZR1400) and another 18k for my back injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had a colleague knock my VFR800 over years ago at a very low speed. Bike was parked up. Few marks on the fairings, bar ends, replacement mirror - all replaced. Added up fairly lively. Went through M50 Honda. The insurance assessor argued with me about it being very expensive. Prick. Told him I didnt care. Not my f**king problem if its expensive. Got it sorted eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I don't know why you simply did not hand the matter over to your solicitor at the outset. That's what I always did if any of my cars were damaged.

I recall I did have a case like that when I was a Garda and simply asked the motorbike owner to get an estimate for the cost of the repairs which I would then pass onto the car owner (who had similarly reversed into the bike knocking it over) which I did. €600 as I recall. The car owner was not pleased at the cost but I was just an intermediary in that case. Perhaps another call to a more friendly Garda you might know might do the trick similar to my case.

A few months later I was investigating a fatal accident that took the life of the same motorcyclist on that same bike - really sad case that was.

Ever since that (former) case I always double think where I will park my bikes with the possibility of a car reversing into it and knocking it over being paramount in my mind.

Ever since that (former) case I always double think where I will park my bikes with the possibility of a car reversing into it and knocking it over being paramount in my mind.

I try to do this when I can but theres no wininng sometimes when you try to park in a non allocated car spot.

Incedently when my bike was knocked over the van in question drived onto the bus stop, a cycle track and hatch markings to knock it over it was in a safe space away from people and cars and it still go knocked. I often wondered was he pissed and was that the reason for the runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

But if the case is a hit & run the Gardai are obliged to investigate as that immediately creates a few road traffic infringements by the fleeing driver?

How long ago did this happen?

oh yea but i think it was a case of them chatting to the driver, I dont think they do anything unless you want to press charges. which is odd tbh you would thinkdeliberatly fleeing like that after causing damadge should incur some penalty? points on the license at least?

• Advertisement
Advertisement