Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car reversed into parked bike

Options
  • 09-11-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

A car reversed into, and knocked over my bike a couple of weeks ago. I contacted my insurance broker to enquire how to proceed with claiming for the damage on the other driver's insurance and they took all the details and contacted the other driver's insurance company, who is the same as mine.
    Didn't hear anything for 2 weeks, so contacted my broker again who said they would phone the company and get an update, then phoned to say they were waiting on a call back.

After hearing nothing back, I then phoned my broker again, who said they still had not heard back from the other company and asked if I would like the reference number and phone number to see if I could get any response myself. I took these details and phoned the other driver's insurance company who told me they would ring me straight back with an update. That was almost 2 hours ago, so while I wait on a call that probably won't come, has anyone here had experience of this kind of accident and did it take long to sort out? I just want my bike fixed but noone (company or broker) is giving me any info on whether I can go ahead myself and get it assessed by a garage or get it repaired etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Of course you can get it looked at by a garage to get a quote and it can be any garage you want. Just don't let them do any work until the insurance assessor has checked it out or you have been authorised by the other insurance company.

An option if you have fully comp insurance is to get your insurance company to fix it and chase up the other insurance company. This will go down as a claim on your policy but will be for nothing when/if the other company pays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Del2005 wrote: »
    Of course you can get it looked at by a garage to get a quote and it can be any garage you want. Just don't let them do any work until the insurance assessor has checked it out or you have been authorised by the other insurance company.

An option if you have fully comp insurance is to get your insurance company to fix it and chase up the other insurance company. This will go down as a claim on your policy but will be for nothing when/if the other company pays out.

Thanks Del2005. We both have the same insurance company. I have FC insurance, but I'd prefer not to claim on my policy tbh. I'd wonder if the delay is to encourage me to claim off my own policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Call them again and make noises about getting your solicitor to look after it on your behalf.

bladespin wrote: »
    Call them again and make noises about getting your solicitor to look after it on your behalf.

After listening to all the messages and pressing various keys for the different options it now goes to a vodafone voicemail !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I would send them an email to say if you do not hear back within 5 working days, you will be forced to contact the Insurance regulators and seek legal advice for how to proceed.
    Central Bank seem to be the regulators

https://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/industry-market-sectors/insurance-reinsurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is the damage bad?

Did the other driver want to settle outside?

Could be an option if not very expensive and then they won't lose no claims etc.....

You need to either claim on your own policy and they take it from other side or you pursue the other side. You need to be firm and want it sorted asap. Is the bike usable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yep, still waiting over a year to get a car door repaired where our neighbor reversed into our car when it was parked, that was September last year.

Is the damage bad?

Did the other driver want to settle outside?

Could be an option if not very expensive and then they won't lose no claims etc.....

You need to either claim on your own policy and they take it from other side or you pursue the other side. You need to be firm and want it sorted asap. Is the bike usable?

There is cosmetic damage to various parts of the bike that hit the ground, indicator, handlebar, exhaust etc. I drove it the short distance home(less than 1km) but i would still like it to be given the once over to check it over as well as get the damaged parts replaced, the bike is only a few years old.

The other driver didn't say anything about settling outside, i think she was as shocked as i was tbh.

Have been in contact with my broker, who in turn has been back in contact with the insurance company. The claim has been allocated a claims handler but it seems noone else can deal with it, and that claims handler had gone home by that stage! I should be receiving a call tomorrow, so we shall see. . .

zubair wrote: »
    Yep, still waiting over a year to get a car door repaired where our neighbor reversed into our car when it was parked, that was September last year.

That is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Your first port of call would be to make a complaint directly to the insurer that will likely be enough to get it sorted. If for whatever reason it is not then you can approach the financial services and pensions ombudsman and escalate the complaint.

I'd ring your broker beforehand to ask what date they originally notified the claim to the insurer and what dates they chased them. Advise the insurer of these dates when making your complaint.

It shouldn't take weeks to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭horse7

Maybe I am missing something but should,not you just claim on the offending persons insurance policy, even though it's the same as yours. The claim is against their policy, no need to make a claim on your policy.

horse7 wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something but should,not you just claim on the offending persons insurance policy, even though it's the same as yours. The claim is against their policy, no need to make a claim on your policy.

Yes, that is what i am trying to do.

Why go to the broker, you should just claim / deal with the insurance company.

Why go to the broker, you should just claim / deal with the insurance company.

I initially contacted my insurance broker to enquire how to proceed with claiming for the damage on the other driver's insurance and they took all the details and contacted the other driver's insurance company on my behalf. When i phoned them today they were surprised that noone had been in contact from the insurance company to discuss it with me. My broker then gave me the reference number they were given for my claim and the phone number for the other drivers insurance company. My broker is a large, well known company, yet even they didn't get the call back they were promised, so it wasn't just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You are wasting your time contacting your Broker again. They have no Dog in this Fight, so they will do their best to stay out.
    You can pester the Insurers claims handler for a couple of days and see what sort of time-wasting rubbish they come back with.
    Get a quote from a Dealer to repair the damage 1st, without that you don't even know what you are claiming for.
    If you then feel the Insurer is dragging it out just get a Solicitor involved.
    BTW what Bike/year is it ?

Ps, I presume you reported the incident to the Gardai.

Very much this!

They couldn't care less.
    Parked vehicle, no injuries.

If it's not reported and logged it is is possible for the insurance to claim it never happened. Nothing to do with injury

If it's not reported and logged it is is possible for the insurance to claim it never happened. Nothing to do with injury

They still don't care....

• Advertisement

They may not care but its a legal requirement to report all RTCs regardless of their being injures or not. The Gardai shouldn't turn up for no injury RTCs but the affected parties should report it ASAP

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/motor_accidents.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It will be logged in the station book, Its not about caring or not caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Most Insurers will ask for the Garda Pulse Number (or whatever they call it nowadays).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭littlevillage

You don't NEED to call the Gardai if its a minor accident. They wouldn't have come out anyway.

You can always just give them the details now.... for recording purposes.

Get a quote for to fix the damage.

If its more than say €500.....
    Go straight to the other parties insurance company and Lodge a claim for that cost. If they are delaying (most of these companies are on skeleton staff due to Covid) just have a chat to a solicitor

It will cost about €200 to have a chat with a solicitor and have them to send a letter to her insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

You are best off in this situation going no where near your insurance company , you contact her insurance company and say you were hit by a driver who is insured with them and let them sort it out.

You then contact your insurance company and just give them a head up as to what is happening, if you claim off your insurance company afaik even if they retrieve the cost from hers your NCB is gone.

In this case you are both with the same insurance company but I would still just ring and say you were hit by someone who insures them and you want to claim off their policy.

I don't know why you are ringing any broker, they just broker the deal they have nothing to do with claims..

I was hit last year, bike and myself badly damaged and I did the above. My insurance company weren't involved at all, I dealt directly with her insurance company.

They do - the insurance company that is, without the record it didn't happen.

Note, the cost of involving a solicitor (if need be) should be covered by her insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Dont bother with your broker contact their insurance company ASAP.

Take the bike to a garage and get a scan of it and a quote for damage I know bike world have a proper scanner.

The same happened me except I was on the Nike when reversed into.

Looked cosmetic but was 4k worth of damage in the end so my advice is go direct with insurance dont try settle worh driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Why would the gardai be involved in a civil matter? I can never understand this.

My child pissed in my flowerbed. Call the gards

cursai wrote: »
    Why would the gardai be involved in a civil matter? I can never understand this.

Nothing to do with that, when you report an accident any accident to the gardai they make an official and legal record of the event, that's all you need/want them to do, without that there's no proof it actually happened.

The gardai serve many purposes in mour community, why people only see then as a punitive force is beyond me.

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »

Because its the law that all RTCs have to be reported to them.

Someone could call the Gardai if a person is exposing themselves in public, so even though its your flower bed if it's visible your child can't get pee in it.

Advertisement