Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, if only I had the space! Looks to be a later production one with a cut down footprint. I really like the overall aesthetics of it.

Only problem with these as I'm sure you know is the actual picture quality isn't very good. They're very blurry, have bad convergence and suffer from burn in easier than regular CRTs (I think the brightness is up extremely high on them which probably aids in this)

It's sad in a way as I think it's going to be a lost technology soon enough. CRTs are a lot easier relatively speaking to retain - these behemoths will probably all be gone to the dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I picked one up recently and the picture quality is surprisingly good. As good as I remember playing time crises 2 on in the arcades.

You do need a dark ish room to really appreciate it. Scanlines look amazing.

I had a search alert set up for years for one and nothing, now 2x come along in a month.

They are super lightweight too.

42 inch 4:3 rear projection tv. Think I'm talking myself into a 2nd one :D

Master of the Universe

Yeah they depend a lot on how many hours they have on them, hopefully you got a fairly low hour model :) what make/model is it?

Forgot you could use them for Lightgun games! That's actually not a bad solution for playing lightgun games on a big screen at home, I suppose just try to play games that don't have static images on the screen to avoid that dreaded burn in.

Something actually I'd never thought of before but it came up on a discussion I was reading about CRT projectors being used for retro gaming - scanline burn it!

Not sure how much of an impact it would make on a rear projection CRT, but apparently it can actually be pretty bad on those big monster projector CRTs.

The one I picked up just before the level 5 lockdown is a toshiba 43VJ33Q. The service manual says is 2004.

I think this was one of the last CRT RPTV although the one that was the adverts yesterday looked even newer.

Probably should have gone for that adverts one yesterday to compare them before it was taken by someone else but the 5k restrictions would have prevented pickup for me.

All old gaming manuals warn about rear projection tv use and screen burn but really it's not an issue for me as it's only a few hours a week use if even that. I'm sure we have all seen the state these screens used to get into when they were on full time duty in an arcade in the likes of sega megalo and daytona deluxe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I used to have a Sony Grand WEGA 50" rear projection TV years ago(I think 2005). Was a lovely screen for the time, but it suffered very bad temporary burn in. As in, the image would burn in quickly and then take a few seconds to mins to disappear depending on what it was.
    If you were a normal person sitting 5-6 feet away from the screen you probably wouldn't notice. But for me its the only thing i noticed no matter where i sat, so it had to go after a year or so.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've never been very fond of silver CRTs (which is a shame as most of the later ones tend to be silver), but someone posted an image of this Sony Wega over on reddit and there's something about it that's really working for me!

KV- SW29M61

5mvedzp0vsy51.jpg

very nice design. and is that a RPTV to the right :D

Master of the Universe

Hah, so it is! You've some hawk eye for rear projection :D

Seen this one on reddit too

6sle7dsdzpy51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wow, a feast for the eyes right there...and my EHS kicking in with a 'I'm not sitting under that TV'

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Looks like there should be a negotiator on the group floor pleading with it not to jump :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Damn that Sony is an absolute beaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Now that's the bedrooms dreams are made of

Master of the Universe

Hats off to the Shanahans, still rocking a CRT on Rte news at the moment
    :pac:
    CRT.png

Seven weeks working with his wife at the same desk....with no internet.

Jesus....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Oceanfree must be down at the minute in their area.

I've been working on a Solar/Wind backup power source for my garage and in case of zombie apocalypse. It's a bit of a lockdown project to keep me sane(ish).
    Anyway, there's 10 large(20KG+ each)120AH marine/leisure batteries hooked up to store the power and various funky electronic shenanigans going on to run and monitor all this.

What's this got to do with CRT's?
    Well, I've been power testing various things to see how long they might run on the stored power(while never dropping below 50% of the stored power to keep the batteries healthy). After testing 3D printers, heaters, house security system and and loads of other things I got to wondering. How long could I run a retro system off just one of these batteries and what about one of my PVM's?

The answer is, be careful!! I've a few devices to convert the 12v battery source to 230v and got them mixed up and plugged in a PVM to a modified sine wave inverter instead of the much more expensive pure sine wave inverter. PVM is fine, but wow was there some weird noises coming from it and flickering on the screen(a little wee came out of me i think :))!
    I switched over to running the megadrive through the OSSC and playing on a BENQ 23" monitor(everything running off the pure sine wave inverter).

For those interested in the results:

Console: Sega Mega Drive (region modded)
    Game: Thunder Force IV
    Extras also running from same battery: OSSC, BENQ 23" LCD Display
    Source: x1 12v 120AH battery running

Runtime: 12 hours (50% remaining battery)

Be careful what you plug your stuff into :)

At least now you know that you'll get half a day more then the rest of us when the apocalypse happens

At least now you know that you'll get half a day more then the rest of us when the apocalypse happens

Per battery :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Per battery :)

Time enough at last scenario?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Time enough at last scenario?

CxOwi2w.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I knew I liked you for a reason...

Master of the Universe

How cool looking is this little yolk

Sony EVM-9010P - 9 inch sony trinitron with a built in 8mm cassette deck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-EVM-9010P-Trinitron-Color-Video-Monitor-Video-8-8mm-Player/124485493390?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Master of the Universe

x55y21dxqf561.jpg

I guess this fits here :)

Master of the Universe

The real Fender Tele-caster?

/gets coat.

o1s1n wrote: »
    x55y21dxqf561.jpg

Is that a hack or is it a store display for the VB?
    Looks amazing although, it has to be said, a little superfluous!

They really really missed a trick not bringing the Virtual Boy catalogue to the 3DS, it would have been fantastic, maybe include a colour-ized version with the originals.
    Ah well...

Master of the Universe

Competition in Dublin city centre?

Hisssssssssssssssss
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is that a hack or is it a store display for the VB?
    Looks amazing although, it has to be said, a little superfluous!

They really really missed a trick not bringing the Virtual Boy catalogue to the 3DS, it would have been fantastic, maybe include a colour-ized version with the originals.
    Ah well...

It's a VB with a hacked AV out connected up to a Philips Discover space helmet TV from the 80s.

They just so happen to work perfectly together visually!

No VB on the 3DS was absolutely mind boggling, I wonder was there more to it like some licensing issue? (although it's all first party really isnt it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    No VB on the 3DS was absolutely mind boggling

A quintessential Nintendo approach, that one. Even if the 3DS hadn't got the horses for proper VB emulation...they could have source ported all the games & sold them as a Virtual Boy Pack. Granted, a bit of work for something only hobbyists would probably buy....but Nintendo has the budget of a small country....how they make decisions sometimes truly baffles me. They're nearly always one simple step from perfection, & decide not to take it.

Advertisement