Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Mountain Thyme - Jamie Dornan & Emily Blunt

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jeez, what do they have on Emily Blunt that she's in this? She seemed cannier and in higher demand than this - unless this is like Underwater and was shot years ago, simply moulding on the shelf.

Jamie Dornan keeps appearing in total crap, guy seems a good actor but must have a terrible agent.

No it's recent. There was stories in the papers here about Emily Blunt pulling pints in Mayo about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sweet Jesus... I mean......There is some serious paddywhackery there and, as mentioned before, everyone Irish involved with any kind of input should be ashamed of themselves. I don't blame any of the technical people involved as a job is a job. But the writers, directors, producers, actors..... Jesus.

STILL better than this enlightened episode of Star Trek: TNG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

That's the worst Irish stereotyping I've seen in some time!

I too struggle to make it to the end of the trailer. Dornan is a shocking actor — his looks alone have gotten him this far. I agree with others regarding this being beneath someone of Blunt's calibre, but it may have been sold to her as having 'P.S. I Love You' financial potential with a decent cut for her.

Any comments from Blunt or Dornan on the reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No it's recent. There was stories in the papers here about Emily Blunt pulling pints in Mayo about a year ago.

Jeysus she must be well stuck for the cash to be bouncing between this muck and pulling pints in Ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sweet Jesus... I mean......There is some serious paddywhackery there and, as mentioned before, everyone Irish involved with any kind of input should be ashamed of themselves. I don't blame any of the technical people involved as a job is a job. But the writers, directors, producers, actors..... Jesus.

That's hilarious

• Advertisement

I tell ya Ireland would have been a much happier place back in the day if the gerls had Aran jumpers like your wan in that episode

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

velo.2010 wrote: »
    That's the worst Irish stereotyping I've seen in some time!

I too struggle to make it to the end of the trailer. Dornan is a shocking actor — his looks alone have gotten him this far. I agree with others regarding this being beneath someone of Blunt's calibre, but it may have been sold to her as having 'P.S. I Love You' financial potential with a decent cut for her.

Any comments from Blunt or Dornan on the reaction?

I feel like Blunt and her husband are probably well enough off that she doesn't need to be doing anything just for a big paycheck.

I know when Leap Year was roundly savaged Matthew Goode said he only took the role because shooting in Ireland meant he could fly home to England on the weekends. But I don't think Blunt lives in the UK.

The only thing I can think is the Moonstruck connection. It's considered a classic and Cher won an Oscar for it but it's really a ridiculous film. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's really not very good. Italian Americans probably had the same reaction to it as we're having to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think Irish people can whinge and moan about the accents and the begorrah begosh all they want but in the end this movie will sell really well.

Not bothered by it all. I think it's hilarious

Acosta wrote: »
    Not bothered by it all. I think it's hilarious

I think most people are taking it in a humourous way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

It's like an algorithm generated a script, the setting and the dialog. Less said about the accent the better. I mean why not use someone Irish and talented for the lead woman, like Nianh Algar? The play is set outaide Mullingar, she's from there and her accent is gorgeous.

BUT, in saying all that the Yanks are gonna lap it up, I'd expect this to be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think there's space for multiple emotions here: it's definitely hilarious to watch something so horribly typical of Hollywood's obsession with Fantasy Ireland. But then it's also depressing & irritating that they are still indeed obsessed with that stereotyped, Muck Savage portrayal. It's not just Ireland of course: American cinema still likes showing Europe as "quaint" Old World, borderline agrarian hovels. London and Paris apparently the only two cities on the continent.

I think most people are taking it in a humourous way.

To be Shure to be shure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Larrndarn Shirley?

weemcd wrote: »
    It's like an algorithm generated a script, the setting and the dialog. Less said about the accent the better. I mean why not use someone Irish and talented for the lead woman, like Nianh Algar? The play is set outaide Mullingar, she's from there and her accent is gorgeous.

BUT, in saying all that the Yanks are gonna lap it up, I'd expect this to be huge.

Speaking of outside Mullingar, my favourite tweet so far:

"Wait wait wait #WildMountainThyme is based on a play called outside Mullingar? Mountains? The Flipping Sea? Ridey Men? How far outside Mullingar is this place?"

breezy1985 wrote: »

"Wait wait wait #WildMountainThyme is based on a play called outside Mullingar? Mountains? The Flipping Sea? Ridey Men? How far outside Mullingar is this place?"

Hahaha. Twitter is on fire with this one. But that's absolutely spot on.

Just noticed that the trailer also implies that the idea of going to New York is a mind blowing experience for a grown Irish woman like we're in some 1950s set Colm Toibin novel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Rosemary, we're known to each other quite the while now, would ya marry me??

Literary genius whoever wrote that. All I can tell you, it wasn't written by a Paddy

Rosemary, we're known to each other quite the while now, would ya marry me??

Literary genius whoever wrote that. All I can tell you, it wasn't written by a Paddy

I just want an hour long show of Walken saying Rosemary Muldoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Never heard of this until I saw it on today's RTE's One o'clock news. The piece referred to Ryanair and other Irish entities taking the piss out the accents. Begorrah and bejasuz 'tis woeful looking. Looks like another addition to the Oirish accent cringe list, as well as the Blarney awards.

There's a guy makes travel documentaries for BBC, can't remember his name, but he usually does wild exotic things like walking the Amazon or along the equator, things like that. A few years ago he did one in Ireland, and I swear, he was genuinely shocked that we weren't all inbred, backward, god fearing bog snorkelers. Just goes to show how that idea still prevails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Tweeted by Alison Spittle, to give her the credit for it, though that won't win you many friends on boards ...

serfboard wrote: »
    Tweeted by Alison Spittle, to give her the credit for it, though that won't win you many friends on boards ...

Thanks I don't know how to make tweets do that.

I have only come across Alison Spittle in 2 places. Threads on boards where people call her a stupid fat **** and this tweet. She's ok in my books so far anyway

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think there's space for multiple emotions here: it's definitely hilarious to watch something so horribly typical of Hollywood's obsession with Fantasy Ireland. But then it's also depressing & irritating that they are still indeed obsessed with that stereotyped, Muck Savage portrayal. It's not just Ireland of course: American cinema still likes showing Europe as "quaint" Old World, borderline agrarian hovels. London and Paris apparently the only two cities on the continent.

The depiction of the UK in The Haunting of Bly Manor was another one that jumped out at me recently. Has to be one of the most inauthentic depictions of the UK I've seen (and not just because it was filmed in Canada).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone is using this for one hell of a tax write off.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The depiction of the UK in The Haunting of Bly Manor was another one that jumped out at me recently. Has to be one of the most inauthentic depictions of the UK I've seen (and not just because it was filmed in Canada).

I'm pretty sure the yanks think all English people either have or are butlers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

any chance we could get Flatley's film as well, maybe as a double bill?

There's a guy makes travel documentaries for BBC, can't remember his name, but he usually does wild exotic things like walking the Amazon or along the equator, things like that. A few years ago he did one in Ireland, and I swear, he was genuinely shocked that we weren't all inbred, backward, god fearing bog snorkelers. Just goes to show how that idea still prevails.

Anyone got a name or a link for this I can look up? I'd love to see it.

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone got a name or a link for this I can look up? I'd love to see it.

I looked it up and it was called Ireland With Simon Reeve. I actually tweeted about it at the time saying he seemed shocked we weren't eating potatoes and praying all day, and he replied with something about having to think about his viewers, that it was being made for the UK and a global audience, who apparently all think that's what we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I looked it up and it was called Ireland With Simon Reeve. I actually tweeted about it at the time saying he seemed shocked we weren't eating potatoes and praying all day
    I see that it was made in 2015 - to be sure to be sure that's what we all were doing back then ...

• Advertisement

I looked it up and it was called Ireland With Simon Reeve. I actually tweeted about it at the time saying he seemed shocked we weren't eating potatoes and praying all day, and he replied with something about having to think about his viewers, that it was being made for the UK and a global audience, who apparently all think that's what we are.

Can't stand that lad. For a relatively young fella he's got an awful smack of the Victorian adventurer about him

Advertisement