Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Mountain Thyme - Jamie Dornan & Emily Blunt

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Can't stand that lad. For a relatively young fella he's got an awful smack of the Victorian adventurer about him

Yep, I haven't bothered to watch any of his more adventurous ones but I can imagine how British he would be with the natives along the Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

How is Graham Norton going to be able to interview Dornan and Blunt about this and keep a straight face?!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,227 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Shelga wrote: »
    How is Graham Norton going to be able to interview Dornan and Blunt about this and keep a straight face?!

TBF Dornan is a good guest, takes the pi$$ out of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

Jesus I genuinely thought this was a period piece set in the early 1900s until she said she wanted to freeze her eggs.

I've seen it on some prediction lists for the Golden Globes and Oscars :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,791 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a guy makes travel documentaries for BBC, can't remember his name, but he usually does wild exotic things like walking the Amazon or along the equator, things like that. A few years ago he did one in Ireland, and I swear, he was genuinely shocked that we weren't all inbred, backward, god fearing bog snorkelers. Just goes to show how that idea still prevails.

He must have missed out on Kilgarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭tonytiger81

Writer: Takes script from The Field. Changes everywhere it says “field” to “farm”. Jobs a good un :)

serfboard wrote: »
    Tweeted by Alison Spittle, to give her the credit for it, though that won't win you many friends on boards ...

"Ridey Men" Dornan and Hamm certainly are :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh fuck off, Hollywood.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's made the frontpage of BBC News now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

ixoy wrote: »

Ha, from that article;
    And the The National Leprechaun Museum of Ireland tweeted: "Even we think this is a bit much #WildMountainThyme".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »

"Is an Irish accent the hardest to master?" Betteridges rule of headlines in action there. That's a charitable interpretation of the issue; more accurate to say studios / actors are too cheap to hire good dialect coaches if they insist upon non-nationals in their cast... the accent doesn't even need to be perfect, just passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Sometimes I think we don't realise how the accents in the irish countryside really sound. Take for example these boys in the Dail , whom if anyone from outside the island was watching might think some these guys slept in the fields.

Im pretty sure I've heard Irish people living in Ireland with far worse accents then those in that trailer!

No one outside of Dublin wants to hear a Dub accent especially Americans who have no concept of it whatsoever. So the North Munster type accent is what the Americans most associate with Ireland. These accents they use are kinda Midlands but without the flatness and kinda somewhere south..nobody knows where...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Yep, I haven't bothered to watch any of his more adventurous ones but I can imagine how British he would be with the natives along the Amazon.

Reeves is a sickener. An awful leftie and every show he has is somehow depicted as Dangerous..hes no Michael Palin. Id prefer yer man Levison Wood..

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Reeves is a sickener. An awful leftie and every show he has is somehow depicted as Dangerous..hes no Michael Palin. Id prefer yer man Levison Wood..

Not sure leftie is the insult you think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It doesn't have to be an insult. Just not his cup of tea, which is fine: it takes all types...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    TBF Dornan is a good guest, takes the pi$$ out of himself

Yes and he has a lot of experience of having to do that lately ;)
    I think Graham will get a great kick out of this !
    Think the guy that wrote this and the director ( one and the same ?) thinks Father Ted is a documentary ...sure its grand , lads , easy now, it's only a fillum :)

I am looking forward to sitting down with a glass of wine and ...watching Jamie ..enjoying a good laugh at how Americans see us .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

BloodyBill wrote: »

He was talking about fairy forts with a man with a big beard who believes in fairies somewhere wesst !
    Now that's dangerous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

yabadabado wrote: »
    Was his accent in Siege of Jadotville not a bit ropey as well?
    Its a few years since I've seen it but have a feeling it was.
    It wasn't that bad in Jadotville. Pat Quinlan was from Kerry and spoke a bit like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Like likes of Simon Reeves have research teams who go ahead and round up the most ludicrous cliche ridden aspect of wherever he is filming. Worth remembering when you see him somewhere we don't know much or at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Saw this on the Today show earlier, and even Daithí O Sé struggled with it. It’s very much geared towards an “Irish diaspora” in the US audience, same as Normal People and PS I Love You before it... and then some -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

SusanC10 wrote: »
    For some reason, that Trailer made me laugh so much - haven't laughed so much at something since pre-Pandemic !
    Looking forward to watching this with a few glasses of Wine.

Im thinking I'd definitely need to be stoned to watch that.

Saw this on the Today show earlier, and even Daithí O Sé struggled with it. It’s very much geared towards an “Irish diaspora” in the US audience, same as Normal People and PS I Love You before it... and then some -

Don't think I'd put Normal People in the same bracket as PS I Love You. It might not have been to everyone's taste but it's hardly the paddywhackery of something like PS I Love You or Leap Year. And Daisy Edgar Jones' Irish accent was really good too.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I am looking forward to sitting down with a glass of wine and ...watching Jamie ..enjoying a good laugh at how Americans see us .

Whoever is in charge of distributing it should get it on demand here ASAP. A captive audience with an appetite for a group watch, they'd make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's Doran thinking for A. that accent of his, B. not telling the cast how stupid their accents are and WTFing the director, and C, basically questioning the whole bloody thing.
    Is he getting enough money to quietly laugh to himself and dialling it in. But that doesn't even make sense given how he'll be received as a result anyway.
    Maybe with him being from the north he's on an Orange Order mission to undermine and laugh at the Republic.

northern unionists might not have a great ear for southern accents so perhaps Dornan can be forgiven to a degree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't think actors should change their accents at all in movies. Just act. The TV show chernobyl was one of the most gripping dramas I have seen, it would have been ruined by everyone trying to do Russian accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Don't think I'd put Normal People in the same bracket as PS I Love You. It might not have been to everyone's taste but it's hardly the paddywhackery of something like PS I Love You or Leap Year. And Daisy Edgar Jones' Irish accent was really good too.

Ahh no I meant more the audience it’s produced to appeal to, which isn’t an Irish audience, but rather an Irish American audience. The three main actors involved would know well they’re not even coming close to an approximation of any Irish dialect, but that’s irrelevant for it’s intended audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Can't stand that lad. For a relatively young fella he's got an awful smack of the Victorian adventurer about him

anything but , he grew up in modest surroundings and spent time in prison

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

joe40 wrote: »
    I don't think actors should change their accents at all in movies. Just act. The TV show chernobyl was one of the most gripping dramas I have seen, it would have been ruined by everyone trying to do Russian accents.

That's a good point: further to that, IIRC they used regional English accents to accentuate relative Russian status and social class, which was a neat move. Assuming it was deliberate of course.

Advertisement