Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild Mountain Thyme - Jamie Dornan & Emily Blunt

• 10-11-2020 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭

The worst Irish accents ever,

Also starring Christopher Walken & John Hamm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is it a comedy?
    When is it supposed to be set?

I’m looking forward to seeing it, for all the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DAT. At least Walken didn't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is like an snl parody....jesus!
    Jamie Dornan is irish ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Twitter is in its element tonight, #WildMountainThyme hilarious reactions. Dis, dat diese, doze.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The real question is, when the cinemas open up again, will ye go lassie go? And we'll all go together.

(Sorry couldnt resist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

When is this supposed to be set? It looks ancient but then Emily Blunt mentions freezing her eggs?

The American audience will lap this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's based on the play Outside Mullingar which had a run on Broadway 5 or 6 years ago starring Debra Messing it closed in less than 2 months.

John Patrick Shanley wrote it he won an Oscar for Moonstruck.

Iris actors that put on ****e Irish accents need to ridiculed relentlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ciaradx wrote: »
    When is this supposed to be set? It looks ancient but then Emily Blunt mentions freezing her eggs?

Then she is in new york....and no twin towers so it's set past 2001...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ciaradx wrote: »

Directed by Eamon DeValera

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's based on the play Outside Mullingar which had a run on Broadway 5 or 6 years ago starring Debra Messing it closed in less than 2 months.

John Patrick Shanley wrote it he won an Oscar for Moonstruck.

Iris actors that put on ****e Irish accents need to ridiculed relentlessly

Is this the Irish version of Moonstruck, Emily Blunt taking Cher's role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Even if they had proper accents it still would be awful. Its like they have based this off Darby O'Gill.

You'd expect better from Emily Blunt, this just seems way beneath her. Same with John Hamm. It looks like made for TV ****e by someone who has never been to Ireland

looks an absolute shocker tbh

siblers wrote: »
    Even if they had proper accents it still would be awful. Its like they have based this off Darby O'Gill.

You'd expect better from Emily Blunt, this just seems way beneath her. Same with John Hamm. It looks like made for TV ****e by someone who has never been to Ireland

John Patrick Shanley (writer and director) is probably the type of Irish American that think's he's really, really Irish but is in fact very, very American.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Christopher Walken’s Irish accent is gloriously bad.

The film looks like it was shot for the budget of a cheaper episode of Fair City. Fascinating they managed to get big name actors for something which looks so hilariously amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

This will probably be the next PS I Love You movie that Yanks will go crazy for. I am not so precious about the crappy Irish accents as I am all for Hollywood selling anything Ireland related.

Sometimes I think we don't realise how the accents in the irish countryside really sound. Take for example these boys in the Dail , whom if anyone from outside the island was watching might think some these guys slept in the fields.

Im pretty sure I've heard Irish people living in Ireland with far worse accents then those in that trailer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Accents sound like the family guy episode when they come to Ireland. And that's a parody. Peters dad is called mickey mc finnegan, wouldn't be surprised to see names like that in this too.

The whole setting and timeframe looks weirder than the accents. Is it modern or pre independence or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Christopher Walken’s Irish accent is gloriously bad.

The film looks like it was shot for the budget of a cheaper episode of Fair City. Fascinating they managed to get big name actors for something which looks so hilariously amateurish.

Amazing you would even hire him for this. The only accent Christopher Walken can do is Christopher Walken.

Look sure let Jamie off Irish lads are sexy at the moment so might as ride the wave

The whole setting and timeframe looks weirder than the accents. Is it modern or pre independence or what?

Maybe it's the 1980s they were kinda both

Or it's about whatever planet the Healy-Raes are from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's Fintan O'Toole on the play it's based on!

https://twitter.com/DonaldClarke63/status/1326299260837564424

Maybe "Outside Mullingar" will be looked back on someday as Ireland's "Springtime for Hitler"

This certainly looks like it could have cult classic status thrust upon it, ideal for a group watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

El Rifle wrote: »
    Im pretty sure I've heard Irish people living in Ireland with far worse accents then those in that trailer!
    I think the point is we have so many genuine different Irish accents - and yet Hollywood Irish is none of them. Just some Blarney O'Gill leprechaun mashup.

But then maybe only the Irish can recognise this, and we're not gonna kill the box office.

Dades wrote: »
    I think the point is we have so many genuine different Irish accents - and yet Hollywood Irish is none of them. Just some Blarney O'Gill leprechaun mashup.

But then maybe only the Irish can recognise this, and we're not gonna kill the box office.

Going by certain parts of Ireland if the actors wanted to sound authentically Irish they should just use their American accents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Addle wrote: »
    Is it a comedy?
    When is it supposed to be set?

I’m looking forward to seeing it, for all the wrong reasons.
    gmisk wrote: »
    Then she is in new york....and no twin towers so it's set past 2001...

The phone in this clip looks to have been released in the late 80's / early 90,s

2pGCa5u.jpg

There was one listed on adverts as 1987 year model

https://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/1987-telecom-eireann-home-telephone/11844649

The phone in this clip looks to have been released in the late 80's / early 90,s

2pGCa5u.jpg

There was one listed on adverts as 1987 year model

https://www.adverts.ie/other-antiques-collectables/1987-telecom-eireann-home-telephone/11844649

Why is he interfering with himself with the door open. Is he watching someone down the hall

I'm surprised the film is depicting the Irish as having telephones at all and don't just send our messages across the fields on horseback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Goodness me, can this be a real movie? And such a major cast OMG what were their agents all thinking some kind of collective lapse of common sense in hollywood?

Whatever about the other's accents wtf is jamie dornan doing this man is from ireland. You'd think he never visited the island before going by his attempt an irish accent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure my parents still have that type of phone, as I'm sure loads of others do.

I never knew I wanted to hear Christopher Walken attempt an Irish accent until now.

Parodies not taking long
    https://twitter.com/FoilArmsAndHog/status/1326453562516385792

Advertisement