Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - The Greatest Song from 2010s

Options
  • 09-11-2020 2:36pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Seems to be a clamour for this contest so I'm going to run it in the coming weeks.

So get your nominations in for the Best Song from 2010 to 2020 - lettuce see where it fits in with the other decades in terms of genre, taste etc..

Criteria: Must have been released as a single since Jan 1st 2010.

I'm going to allow 20 nominations per person so we will see how this shapes up.

So get them in, hoping to run this over a weekend at the end of November/early December depending on entries...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Nominations in!
    I could easily have put in about 100...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Nominations in!
    I could easily have put in about 100...

I would be the opposite, of the top of my head I could name the songs I know on one hand. If I do a little research I'm sure I will be familiar with a few more.

Will get my nominations in in few days Necro

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't be silly, everyone knows there hasn't been any good music released since the 80s. :pac:

I'm with Kolido on this, I'll have a look at it but I think I'll struggle to come up with 5 nominations, never mind 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I thought of two, but when I checked one was 2006, and the other was 2008 :o.

But I'll be delighted to play along and share my vast musical knowledge with everyone.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I struggled hugely to find any songs I love from the 2010s!

Struggled to find 15. None of which will get past round 1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

20 nominations in. Easily could've done another 80 or so off the top of my head. They'll all probably get voted out early on for some awful bullsh*t like What Does The Fox Say to go on and win because democracy is stupid and everyone always votes terribly in these things... ;)

I suppose that's just part of the fun of it... :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Not my favorite decade for music but i managed to put together a list of 20 songs that wouldn't make me switch the radio off

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

130 songs submitted so far.

Just the one submitted twice... :)

20 nominations in. Easily could've done another 80 or so off the top of my head. They'll all probably get voted out early on for some awful bullsh*t like What Does The Fox Say to go on and win because democracy is stupid and everyone always votes terribly in these things... ;)

I suppose that's just part of the fun of it... :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Can't believe I forgot What Does The Fox Say!!
    Really looking forward to this tournament and possibly finding some new music by artists who are still around and releasing new music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Necro wrote: »
    130 songs submitted so far.

Just the one submitted twice... :)

I have a feeling this will be very similar to the contest I ran for worst song ever

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    I have a feeling this will be very similar to the contest I ran for worst song ever

And possibly more authentic

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote: »

tenor.gif

I'm gonna stick up for the 2010's and say that a lot of brilliant music has been released in that decade. However the nature of the charts has definitely changed, with people buying less singles and relying more on the internet (and occasionally movie/TV soundtracks) than radio or charts to find new stuff. So "chart music" has arguably gotten worse, but a lot of great music still exists outside the charts.

Challenge here won't be naming 20 great songs, it will be picking 20 that are relatively well-known enough to stand a chance in a competition where people vote quickly and instinctively go for what they know over what they don't. But I'll give it a go!

I'm gonna stick up for the 2010's and say that a lot of brilliant music has been released in that decade. However the nature of the charts has definitely changed, with people buying less singles and relying more on the internet (and occasionally movie/TV soundtracks) than radio or charts to find new stuff. So "chart music" has arguably gotten worse, but a lot of great music still exists outside the charts.

Challenge here won't be naming 20 great songs, it will be picking 20 that are relatively well-known enough to stand a chance in a competition where people vote quickly and instinctively go for what they know over what they don't. But I'll give it a go!

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

On this... I'll see if I can time limit the contests maybe rather than have a first to X I think.

Give people the option (if they want) to listen to the songs.

Yeah I would agree also, my earlier comments were more a criticism of my knowledge of the decade rather than the state of it.

Funny enough, I ended up nominating over 20 songs after a little research, some great music it has to be said

Up to 188 songs now, still time left to get yours in though!

12 songs have multi nominations now at this stage :)

Could you a bit of a taste?

Purgative wrote: »
    Could you a bit of a taste?

Sure, I'll put up a few songs and they can be YAYed or NAYed as to whether they will start in the first round proper :D

First three songs - I'll do another three tomorrow
    Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards

Adele - Someone Like You

Ward Thomas - Guilty Flowers

Most YAYs or NAYs by 9am tomorrow determine if the three above start in the first round proper.

• Advertisement

Are we yay'ing all three songs or each one individually?

Nay
    Yay
    Yay

Are we yay'ing all three songs or each one individually?

Each one individually.

They'll still feature in the contest, but where they start is up to y'all :)

Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Yay
    Adele - Someone Like You - YAY
    Ward Thomas - Guilty Flowers - Nay

Kolido wrote: »
    Nay
    Yay
    Yay

Same please Necro.

The first one sounds like something I've heard before from ages ago almost like Pink Floyd or similar.

Yay ; I enjoy the few Tame Impala songs I know, wasn't familiar with this one, but 'tis a good one

Yay ; have a new found respect for this song after Trigger entered it in my Walrus and it really grew on me, otherwise this could've gone the other way

Yay ; one of my nominations here, been following Ward Thomas since they debuted on the music scene back in 2014 after randomly going along to a gig of themselves and The Shires (who were also just starting out) in Whelans, and was hooked on both bands straight away. Limited myself to one song per artist when nominating, so went with a Ward Thomas one I hadn't previously featured in any other Forum Games.

Ward Thomas - Guilty Flowers - Nay

You've made yourself an enemy here today. I will remember this. I will definitely remember this. You're on my sh*tlist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yes for Tame Impala and Ward Thomas.
    A resounding no for Foghorn... er I mean Adele.

I must say I really like this pre-tournament preview and In or Our business. Fair play to Kol for starting this trend, and Necro for keeping it going.

• Advertisement

You've made yourself an enemy here today. I will remember this. I will definitely remember this. You're on my sh*tlist now.

Just didn't stand out to me as a particularly great song I'm afraid.

Advertisement