Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - The Greatest Song from 2010s

Options

Comments

Florence + The Machine ; Yay

Tones and I ; Yay

Muse ; Yay

One Direction ; Nay

Foster The People ; Nay

Hurts ; Nay

What am I voting for here exactly?
    Am I going to have to vote on these songs again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Taio Cruz - Break Your Heart Nay - Not for me

Fun. - Some Nights Yay - Definite yes - did they drop off the face of the earth?

Jessie J, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj-Bang Bang Nay Video is grand on mute though ;)

Walk The Moon-Shut Up And Dance Yay Enjoyable tune

Rag'n'Bone Man - Human Yay Passable but I didn't mind it

Linkin Park - Castle of Glass Yay My first nomination - not their best track it's no doubt but still better than a lot of what I've heard so far ;)

Florence and the Machine-Spectrum Yay

Tones & I - Dance Monkey Nay What a video though! Almost swung it for me

Muse - Dead Inside Yay Like some Muse tracks but never heard this one before

One Direction - Little Things Nay Had it as a yay as passable until I heard the lyric "You can't go asleep without a cup of tea or something to that effect" - Lyrical magic like that now is too much for me

Foster The People-Houdini Nay

Hurts-Wonderful Life Nay Could take it or leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

bubblypop wrote: »

Just whether they get a pass out of the prelims to Round1 - enough nays and they stay in prelims so yeah you'll vote on them again.

You could skip this round but its a nice "taster".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

bubblypop wrote: »
    Purgative wrote: »
    Just whether they get a pass out of the prelims to Round1 - enough nays and they stay in prelims so yeah you'll vote on them again.

You could skip this round but its a nice "taster".

Yep, basically what Purgative said.

230 individual songs submitted so far, so this is a sort of... bonus round to make my job in the prelims a bit easier :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Current Scores from today's songs:

Song Name Yay Nay
    Pearl Jam - Dance of The Clairvoyants 8 1
    Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin 5 4
    Regina Spector - All the Rowboats 6 1
    Marina & The Diamonds - Primadonna 6 1
    Neil Young: Love and War 1 5
    Blake Shelton & Gwen Stefani - Nobody But You 5 3
    Taio Cruz - Break Your Heart (released in US Feb 2010) 4 6
    Fun.-Some Nights 5 6
    Jessie J, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj-Bang Bang 4 7
    Walk The Moon-Shut Up And Dance 7 4
    Rag'n'Bone Man - Human 10 1
    Linkin Park - Castle of Glass 8 4
    Florence and the Machine-Spectrum 10 2
    Tones & I - Dance Monkey 4 8
    Muse-Dead Inside 9 4
    One Direction - Little Things 1 10
    Foster The People-Houdini 3 9
    Hurts-Wonderful Life 5 7

A mixed bag. Some are sailing through while others... not so much.

Generous people are putting 10 out of 18 songs straight through to Round 1 as it stands.

This round is a wonderful opportunity to see songs you love and that are dear to you being shat on by everyone else before the competition even starts officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This round is a wonderful opportunity to see songs you love and that are dear to you being shat on by everyone else before the competition even starts officially.

I think some of us continuously make the mistake of not nominating the lowest common denominator mainstream stuff in these tournaments. I had stopped doing that for a few tournaments because it was a futile exercise in trying to pick slightly more niche songs that as you put it ultimately get "shat all over", but I forgot this time around and veered slightly back off the beaten Top 40 track again, which so far has had less than stellar results. May as well just have nominated 20 Katy Perry songs for all the difference it makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I decided to nominate some mainstream pop songs for balance.
    In this competition I have come to expect indie rock domination, so I thought to try and give some balance.
    Based on what I see so far, I reckon most of my nominations won't even make it out of the preliminary round.

Well, C'est La Vie. . . :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I think some of us continuously make the mistake of not nominating the lowest common denominator mainstream stuff in these tournaments. I had stopped doing that for a few tournaments because it was a futile exercise in trying to pick slightly more niche songs that as you put it ultimately get "shat all over", but I forgot this time around and veered slightly back off the beaten Top 40 track again, which so far has had less than stellar results. May as well just have nominated 20 Katy Perry songs for all the difference it makes.

I have ya 5% covered

• Advertisement

I think the more niche songs are better suited to Walrus.
    In the greatest of competitions it would be very difficult to get enough people to vote an overall obscure winner.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I decided to nominate some mainstream pop songs for balance.
    In this competition I have come to expect indie rock domination, so I thought to try and give some balance.
    Based on what I see so far, I reckon most of my nominations won't even make it out of the preliminary round.

Well, C'est La Vie. . . :cool:

I wasn't suggesting there's anything wrong with mainstream songs at all (I like them as much as the next person), moreso that people more often than not will dismiss anything that doesn't appear in the Top 40 or get constant radio play.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think the more niche songs are better suited to Walrus.
    In the greatest of competitions it would be very difficult to get enough people to vote an overall obscure winner.

You're right of course, but on the other hand if I vote in a tournament like this and don't discover any new songs along the way (whether they come anywhere close to winning or not) it can all seem a bit pointless. If I come away with a few new songs, it feels more like it was worth the time.

***shrugs***

What do I know though, I'm just a jaded thirtysomething missing live music and gigs a bit too much... Best just to ignore me while I go over her and crawl into the corner and die like the monster I'm perceived to be.

***dramatic sigh***

;)

I thought Troye Sivan - My My My struck a good balance between radio-friendly "mainstream" pop sound and the critic-friendly "serious music" sound (and critics did praise it.)

You lot still hated it anyway. :(

aba.gif

I thought Troye Sivan - My My My struck a good balance between radio-friendly "mainstream" pop sound and the critic-friendly "serious music" sound (and critics did praise it.)

You lot still hated it anyway. :(

aba.gif

I couldn't stand that one personally actually, but in a more general sense I wholeheartedly agree with you, despite sh*tting all over your boy Troye. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The Pearl Jam song came out January this year

ShaneU wrote: »
    The Pearl Jam song came out January this year

Yeah, I was informed of that alright recently - we can remove it from the contest if you like

Not fussed just pointing it out

I think it should be made wait until the Greatest Song of the 2020s tournament.

We don't want a repeat of the Bowie fiasco.

I think it should be made wait until the Greatest Song of the 2020s tournament.

We don't want a repeat of the Bowie fiasco.

Very well, Pearl Jam - Dance of the Clairvoyants has been disqualified for being too modern :D

#Notmydecade

Instead I'll post up three more songs from the 10s for y'all to judge ;)

• Advertisement

Arkells-Relentless

Gary Numan-My Name Is Ruin

Scouting For Girls - Posh Girls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yay for Gary.
    Nay the other two.

Three nays

Arkells ; Yay
    never heard of them, but really like this song, great discovery

Gary Numan ; Yay
    know of Gary Numan, but didn't know this one, another great discovery

Scouting For Girls ; Nay
    nah, its not winning me over, don't mind it, but nothing spectacular

Yay for Arkells - my nomination and I have been looking to include it in a competition for a while now

Yay for Gary Numan - another one of my nominations, easily one of my top-5 artists of the decade.

I will abstain for Scouting for Girls - it is somewhere in the middle ground, but not that bad that I would boot it.

Arkells-Relentless. Nay

Gary Numan-My Name Is Ruin. Yay

Scouting For Girls - Posh Girls. Yay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Arkells - Yay
    Gary Newman - Nay
    Scouting for Girls - yay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Yay for Gary.
    Nay the other two.

Same for me please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan