Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The absolute state of questioning Garry Ringrose's toughness a week after he tried to play through a broken jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The absolute state of questioning Garry Ringrose's toughness a week after he tried to play through a broken jaw.

Correct! Anyone suiting up is tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

His lack of aggression got him a broken jaw. The man was there to be smashed and he decided to dive down to block the ball . He was there in plenty of time to make a big hit. Put Tuilagi in that position and it's a different outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

That’s why he’s always injured. Smashing everything that moves isn’t the answer to winning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

lot of rumours of serious discontent in the welsh camp and then this ...

https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/1325412016912281600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Anyone who followed Shaun Edwards as defence coach would have a very tough task. But the regression in the Welsh defence was even greater than anticipated.

Wales are struggling everyone however. Their attack in particular is awful and that falls at the feet of Povac and Stephen Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Nobody wants the unwashed playing for Ireland. One must have standards.

Even so, some from Munster still get selected........:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Some Yoke wrote: »
    We need a rugby equivalent of Suarez, who learned their rugby on the streets of ballsbridge and isn't afraid to bite a competitor

I think you mean Testicles Viaduct....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

dor843088 wrote: »
    His lack of aggression got him a broken jaw. The man was there to be smashed and he decided to dive down to block the ball . He was there in plenty of time to make a big hit. Put Tuilagi in that position and it's a different outcome.

Put Tualagi in that situation and there's a good chance it's a penalty and red card for a late, no arms hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Put Tualagi in that situation and there's a good chance it's a penalty and red card for a late, no arms hit.

And Tuilagi somehow dislocates both of his shoulders simultaneously, putting him out for 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Yeah_Right wrote: »

As far as I'm aware hes had 1 red card and no yellow cards in his whole England career. "Good chance" is as bit off the mark there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jacothelad wrote: »
    Even so, some from Munster still get selected........:D:D:D:D:D

They get scholarships.
    The IRFU need to at least pretend they care about the plebs.

dor843088 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware hes had 1 red card and no yellow cards in his whole England career. "Good chance" is as bit off the mark there.

Tuilagi is out for 6 months fortunately for Ireland considering the destruction wrought in recent encounters

Like him or loathe him he is a game-changing beast when fully fit

England without him are not as strong for sure

Bit ridiculous that Ruddock wasn't called up for the Autumn Nations side. He's in superb form. Wins his second motm in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I feel the same way about Jack O Donoghue......
    To include JackO and Ruddock... who would you drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    Bit ridiculous that Ruddock wasn't called up for the Autumn Nations side. He's in superb form. Wins his second motm in a row.

Ah sure Sean Reidy and Matth Rea have been doing similar with Ulster.

Anyway, there's already 428 Leinster players in the Ireland squad. You aren't that much better than the rest of us.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very true but he's also a player capable of test rugby facing utter muck. He's incredibly unlucky but he never really had the dynamism to play top level test rugby and that's not really going to change.

If he was 2 inches taller, he could have been a brilliant lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Buer wrote: »
    Very true but he's also a player capable of test rugby facing utter muck. He's incredibly unlucky but he never really had the dynamism to play top level test rugby and that's not really going to change.

If he was 2 inches taller, he could have been a brilliant lock.

yes and no. Is he any less dynamic than POM or Stander? Perhaps a touch less explosive than CJ, but he's more capable with the ball. He's much better overall than POM, outside of the lineout. Obviously my opinion, but I've never managed to grasp just where he's so deficient relative to his peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

yes and no. Is he any less dynamic than POM or Stander? Perhaps a touch less explosive than CJ, but he's more capable with the ball. He's much better overall than POM, outside of the lineout. Obviously my opinion, but I've never managed to grasp just where he's so deficient relative to his peers.

POM at his best was a clearly better player out of possession at the higher levels. But I'm not sure he is that player any more.

If Ruddock had been luckier with injury and more consistently available/able to perform on the biggest days, that might have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Ruddock was also pretty much surplus to requirements for Leinster at the business end of last season, not sure he made any matchday squads in the knockouts. At the time it didn't seem like that controversial a call, in hindsight you'd probably have had him in there against Saracens. I don't know why he gets overlooked to the extend he does but obviously playing great stuff at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Ruddock was also pretty much surplus to requirements for Leinster at the business end of last season, not sure he made any matchday squads in the knockouts. At the time it didn't seem like that controversial a call, in hindsight you'd probably have had him in there against Saracens. I don't know why he gets overlooked to the extend he does but obviously playing great stuff at the moment.

He's been overlooked because for a large portion of last season and before that he was getting completely outperformed and kept out of the team by his counterparts, he regularly was underperforming against the top teams and thus wasn't getting selected,

He's played very well this season and ramped it up massively but he's also playing against piss poor opposition, you cant compare him running over a 20 year old ospreys outhalf vs trying to make yards against a monster french pack in the six nations,

I'm usually a massive o'mahony critic but he's added something both times for Ireland against Italy and France, granted I think his place is at far more risk from VDF and Conan then it is from Ruddock,

Ruddock would need to maintain this form all season whilst playing the best teams in europe and then he might be considered he needs consistancy and maybe some luck with injury to be anywhere close to the starting Ireland team

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    Ah sure Sean Reidy and Matth Rea have been doing similar with Ulster.

Anyway, there's already 428 Leinster players in the Ireland squad. You aren't that much better than the rest of us.:D

Sean Reidy man of the match again...get him in the squad Andy!

On a serious point though, he is hugely underrated. Obviously there are a lot of others with claims too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GeordieC

What time is the team announced today?

Gerry Thornley's Ireland possible team v Wales:

Stockdale; Keenan, Farrell, Henshaw, Lowe; Sexton (capt), Gibson-Park;

Healy, Kelleher, Porter; Henderson, Ryan; O’Mahony, van der Flier, Doris.

Replacements: Herring, E Byrne, Bealham, Beirne, Stander, Murray, R Byrne, Earls.

I like the front 5 of Thornley's projected side. It's probably the strongest we have available to us. The backrow isn't great however. POM and VDF aren't the greatest carriers and if just paints a massive target on Doris's back for the opposition defence.

I'd like to see more experimentation. JGP and Ross Byrne have played together a huge amount. Why not start them both? I guess we're under pressure to secure more prize money. Thornley has been wrong with predictions recently. Hope he's wrong here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

At first look it suggests an eye on development but Earls on the bench doesn't fit that narrative. Stander has been in the form of his career since the return from lockdown, it would be odd to bench him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I like the front 5 of Thornley's projected side. It's probably the strongest we have available to us. The backrow isn't great however. POM and VDF aren't the greatest carriers and if just paints a massive target on Doris's back for the opposition defence.

We had 6. POM, 7. VDF and 8. Stander against Wales in the 6 Nations this year and played pretty well. (I'd be more concerned if we saw this selection against England, naturally). We played a more expansive game too, which means it's less of an issue.

If Thornley is right (and that remains to be seen as you mention), I wonder is it with a view of giving Doris gametime at 8 in this game in order to go 6. Stander 8. Doris the following week against England?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Picking POM at this point is just laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No Conway at all?
    Seems a weird call especially with Stockdale being kept

That seems like a random combination rather than development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That seems like a random combination rather than development

Yeah wouldn’t get caught up in looking into what this team means beyond this weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement