Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Done, as all three potentially part of my commute if/ when back in the office!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I live in the area and the local business group have commissioned a report to try and stop the one way piece on Deansgrange Road. It is a 45 page report and towards the end they offer 4 alternative routes for cycling instead of the dual cycleway beside the cemetery. They obviously never spoke to anyone using a bike. All their suggestions have long diversions, hills, multiple crossing points and right turns. It actually reminds me of the way DLR used to design cycle lanes. it would be laughable if it wasn't put together by so called transport consultants.

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/%20DVBG%20Active%20School%20Travel%20Submission%20v1.5.pdf?role=personal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I live in the area and the local business group have commissioned a report to try and stop the one way piece on Deansgrange Road. It is a 45 page report and towards the end they offer 4 alternative routes for cycling instead of the dual cycleway beside the cemetery. They obviously never spoke to anyone using a bike. All their suggestions have long diversions, hills, multiple crossing points and right turns. It actually reminds me of the way DLR used to design cycle lanes. it would be laughable if it wasn't put together by so called transport consultants.

Is that available online?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/%20DVBG%20Active%20School%20Travel%20Submission%20v1.5.pdf?role=personal

I have no idea who the transport consultants were but I assume that as they weren't independent, they were commissioned to find any alternative routes so that cyclists wouldn't be in the way of drivers being victimised by the council on the Deansgrange Rd.

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    Is that available online?

no. I put up a link but not sure can you access it on Dropbox... it is too big to attach (9mb)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, is there an option to make it available without requiring a Dropbox account please?

A very small number of businesses in Deans Grange (as far as I can see, two businesses) have these posters up;

123561377_10221207273425963_8891682228080477525_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=hQaQTJv6orQAX_X9sS2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2159ab0f310f5f10c09bd8ed338c5baa&oe=5FC9740F

What group is behind the consultancy report?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thanks, is there an option to make it available without requiring a Dropbox account please?

A very small number of businesses in Deans Grange (as far as I can see, two businesses)

Which businesses?

eeeee wrote: »
    Which businesses?

From what I could see it was the two adjacent takeaways - Saba and Tiger Pizza. I didn't see any others with the poster up.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

From what I could see it was the two adjacent takeaways - Saba and Tiger Pizza. I didn't see any others with the poster up.

Last time I give my business to either of those establishments so.

• Advertisement

Most of the businesses have it. Some with huge big posters and other with small A4 type. The business group claim there is over 30 businesses in the area all against the proposal.

A very small number of businesses in Deans Grange (as far as I can see, two businesses) have these posters up;

123561377_10221207273425963_8891682228080477525_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=hQaQTJv6orQAX_X9sS2&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=2159ab0f310f5f10c09bd8ed338c5baa&oe=5FC9740F

I am not sure. it is too big to attach as a pdf and it is not online so I cant forward a link.

This is the organisation that produced the report.

https://transportinsights.com/case-studies/

and a group called the Deansgrange Business Group commissioned it..

Most of the businesses have it. Some with huge big posters and other with small A4 type. The business group claim there is over 30 businesses in the area all against the proposal.

Strange though that the name of the business group isn't on the posters? I'll have to take a closer look, as I could only see the posters on the two businesses I mentioned. Can you mention any specific businesses that definitely have it?

Strange though that the name of the business group isn't on the posters? I'll have to take a closer look, as I could only see the posters on the two businesses I mentioned. Can you mention any specific businesses that definitely have it?

Fellinis the restaurant across the road have a smaller version, the Grange pharmacy definitely have one. I will be over in the morning to SuperValu so I will have a closer look along that row..Didnt see one on the Grange pub..Probably because they know I cycle and if I stop going there they will have to let a barman go:):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fcuk sake.
    Is the boycott list anywhere?

Over in Templeogue, the council have come up with the idea of not adopting bus lanes and the removal of the existing cycle lanes to enable more parking...

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1325749299469225987

Fellinis the restaurant across the road have a smaller version, the Grange pharmacy definitely have one. I will be over in the morning to SuperValu so I will have a closer look along that row..Didnt see one on the Grange pub..Probably because they know I cycle and if I stop going there they will have to let a barman go:):)

Had a walk around the area today and I am a bit more encouraged. It seems like Saba, Tiger Pizza and the Grange pharmacy are the only businesses with the big (A1?) posters. Newsagents, FXB, Fellinis all have very small (A5?) versions.
    But Pure pharmacy, new flower shop,SuperValu, Liberos, the Grange, Insomnia, dry cleaners, Wardrobe shop all have none at present. None of the car dealerships appear to have them either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting, in malahide during the new street pedestrianisation fuss, there seemed to be a clear line between which outlets had the posters and which didn't; any shops part of a larger organisation didn't have them, and the 'one off' shops did.

Allegedly, a pharmacy in Dundrun [sic] is opposed to the new measures that will help improve people's health...

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1327168148303458306

Good Afternoon,

Council Officials have provided an update on their recent public engagement process for the proposed new cycle routes.

According to officials, 5,978 submissions were received via their Citizen’s Space consultation hub, letter, email and other platforms. 5,454 submissions were received via the Citizen’s Space consultation hub alone. Officials are currently reviewing and validating all submissions.

This is an unprecedented volume of submissions for a dlr public engagement process and demonstrates the extremely high level of public interest in these proposals. Officials state that it will take a number of weeks to review and consider the submissions, at which stage they will prepare a report on the project which will:

Record and summarise the submissions received and issues raised.
    Include the Executive’s responses to issues raised.
    Set out the Executive’s recommendations and conclusions with respect to Phase 1 of the public engagement and the overall project.
    They then propose to organise an online briefing for Councillors in early December. Updates on the project will be posted here.

If you have any feedback for your local Councillors you can contact them at grpcouncillors@dlrcoco.ie or individually, details here.

Thank you to the many residents and business people who were in contact since my online public meeting. I incorporated the feedback into my own submission, which I have attached.

I hope you are well otherwise, if I can be of any assistance please let me know,

Is mise le meas,

Cormac

Cormac Devlin TD
    Dun Laoghaire

• Advertisement

Good Afternoon,

Council Officials have provided an update on their recent public engagement process for the proposed new cycle routes.

According to officials, 5,978 submissions were received via their Citizen’s Space consultation hub, letter, email and other platforms. 5,454 submissions were received via the Citizen’s Space consultation hub alone. Officials are currently reviewing and validating all submissions.

This is an unprecedented volume of submissions for a dlr public engagement process and demonstrates the extremely high level of public interest in these proposals. Officials state that it will take a number of weeks to review and consider the submissions, at which stage they will prepare a report on the project which will:

Record and summarise the submissions received and issues raised.
    Include the Executive’s responses to issues raised.
    Set out the Executive’s recommendations and conclusions with respect to Phase 1 of the public engagement and the overall project.
    They then propose to organise an online briefing for Councillors in early December. Updates on the project will be posted here.

If you have any feedback for your local Councillors you can contact them at grpcouncillors@dlrcoco.ie or individually, details here.

Thank you to the many residents and business people who were in contact since my online public meeting. I incorporated the feedback into my own submission, which I have attached.

I hope you are well otherwise, if I can be of any assistance please let me know,

Is mise le meas,

Cormac

Cormac Devlin TD
    Dun Laoghaire

Cormac Devlin submission attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Just to play devils advocate a little bit, when I worked in retail, it was common enough to have people coming in to ask could they put a poster in the window. Very often the (usually part time) staff member just said fire away. This was less likely to happen in a 'franchise' or similar chain store, as there was generally a rule from head office about it.

Could be way out of course, but worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

cletus wrote: »
    Just to play devils advocate a little bit, when I worked in retail, it was common enough to have people coming in to ask could they put a poster in the window. Very often the (usually part time) staff member just said fire away. This was less likely to happen in a 'franchise' or similar chain store, as there was generally a rule from head office about it.

Could be way out of course, but worth considering

A fair point but you'd hope a person in authority, on next entering the shop, would have removed same if they wished.

These business people took out a sponsored page on Facebook which I kept an eye on - and the responses were far from supportive of their cause in a lot of cases. In fact, a lot of the complainants were the usual suspects from the local forum wo blame cyclist if it rains.

From my reading of the opening statement - and I read it several times to be sure I wasn't misreading it - the owner of Tiger Pizza or said they were in favour of cycle safety - but not at the expense of jobs! Whatever the exact wording I was disgusted with it.

I'm glad another poster said the car dealers don't have these posters up as I have a car ordered in one of them for January. Perhaps they realise on which side their bread is buttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Interesting point in Cormac Devlin's submission about deliveries to the the 3 Car Dealerships along Deansgrange Road. There will have to be some flexibility to allow for access and delivery.

I live off Pottery Road which isn't far away. We are constantly reporting the Car Hire Companies on Pottery Road for using the bike lanes as temporary parking and fleet storage. In fairness Cormac Devlin has been have been quick to respond to communication around this - as has Ossian Smyth - but it's an ongoing issue.

I think the point about increased levels of traffic up Kill Lane to Baker's Corner and down Abbey Road is legitimate. Abbey Road at that junction is a real pinch point at rush hour. The Bus Stop just after the lights interferes with the flow of traffic with backup traffic waiting to get past a stopped bus cascading back across the two previous sets of lights. Not great for the flow of bikes either - particularly sketchy for kids cycling towards Rockford and Newpark.

A fair point but you'd hope a person in authority, on next entering the shop, would have removed same if they wished.

These business people took out a sponsored page on Facebook which I kept an eye on - and the responses were far from supportive of their cause in a lot of cases. In fact, a lot of the complainants were the usual suspects from the local forum wo blame cyclist if it rains.

From my reading of the opening statement - and I read it several times to be sure I wasn't misreading it - the owner of Tiger Pizza or said they were in favour of cycle safety - but not at the expense of jobs! Whatever the exact wording I was disgusted with it.

I'm glad another poster said the car dealers don't have these posters up as I have a car ordered in one of them for January. Perhaps they realise on which side their bread is buttered.

they also claim in the consultants report that a lot of their business comes from areas north of their take away (Springhill, Rowanbryn, fintans, ect) and that they now face a long detour to deliver here. This area is no more than 1km from their shop along Deansgrange road. Surely electric bikes (or even normal bikes) could do these trips and be able to travel both ways on the cycle lane much quicker than cars or motorbikes. I am not sure anyway supporting a business making hundreds of delivery trips (by their own admission) in small, old cars is sustainable. I personally wouldn't use them for this reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

they also claim in the consultants report that a lot of their business comes from areas north of their take away (Springhill, Rowanbryn, fintans, ect) and that they now face a long detour to deliver here. This area is no more than 1km from their shop along Deansgrange road. Surely electric bikes (or even normal bikes) could do these trips and be able to travel both ways on the cycle lane much quicker than cars or motorbikes. I am not sure anyway supporting a business making hundreds of delivery trips (by their own admission) in small, old cars is sustainable. I personally wouldn't use them for this reason alone.

Indeed. They may have heard of a little known company who have made a packet doing just that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

SoDuCoCo are having a public consultation on some plans: https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/cysd-cycle-south-dublin-programme-work

PDF of proposals: https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/cysd-cycle-south-dublin-programme-work

First thought... maybe there are existing cycle tracks between all those sections, but it looks like they aren't planning for a proper network even in the long term?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

These proposed cycle routes in DLR featured a Primetime report last night on RTE. It was the last item of the 3 on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

buffalo wrote:
    First thought... maybe there are existing cycle tracks between all those sections, but it looks like they aren't planning for a proper network even in the long term?

You need to look at page 22 of the booklet to see it overlaid on the existing network. It does go a long way to join up the disparate sections. Though I've noticed some existing tracks missing from the map, And others near me included that don't meet their 'safe routes' criteria.

https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/system/files/materials/5579/66774%20SDCC%20Cycle%20Draft%20Strategy%20A4%20Landscape.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭buffalo

Grassey wrote: »
    You need to look at page 22 of the booklet to see it overlaid on the existing network. It does go a long way to join up the disparate sections. Though I've noticed some existing tracks missing from the map, And others near me included that don't meet their 'safe routes' criteria.

https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/system/files/materials/5579/66774%20SDCC%20Cycle%20Draft%20Strategy%20A4%20Landscape.pdf

Thanks for that - bit disappointing, as many of those that I've used are painted without any kind of segregation or safety features. Exceptions are the N4 and the newer big ring roads.

It'll be great to get that pinch point on the N81 beyond Jobstown sorted.

Advertisement