Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Ireland 5G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

padair wrote: »
    Further update:

I spoke with three and apparently Oneplus phones are not compatible for 5G with three. They are waiting for an update from Oneplus to enable phones to work on their network. Is this a load of **** or what?

No bull****. A few of us in the Android devices forum, have been testing this since a few weeks back. There will be a OnePlus FW update to fix it. It's nothing
    really to do with Three. See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

bazzz wrote: »
    No bull****. A few of us in the Android devices forum, have been testing this since a few weeks back. There will be a OnePlus FW update to fix it. It's nothing
    really to do with Three. See here.

Thanks for sharing. Fairly disappointed in this and with oneplus :(

T55PLUS wrote: »

Interesting, so they "registered" your device on the system and then you received a push notification with new settings from the network or something of the sort? I wonder why they don’t just register all 5G devices on the network, although probably not as simple as that I imagine.
    Caspero wrote: »
    I think they do this once for any 5g device that's going to be compatible to be used on their network (can access the bands, isn't from some unknown manufacturer who didn't spec it right etc), and would usually have it done in advance of the device launch. I guess because the 5g network is so new they haven't done it yet for some of the 5g devices that are out there. I vaguely remember having to do something similar with an older phone when 4g was first launched...and it worked after a while once they'd completed their check and ticked the box to allow that device access their network.

I went with 5G the day they launched it. I own a factory bought Samsung s20 Ultra. They didn't need to push any settings to my phone.
    They just activated the 5G on my account. I took note of the APN settings before I requested the 5G.
    I'm in a pretty good area in the countryside for 5G and it initially was giving me speeds of 500-600MB down and average of 130 up. All indoor coverage.
    But in the last week and a half, one side of the house is only giving 70 to 140 MB down and the other is now between 70 and 250'ish. Not that I'm complaining or anything.
    As my landline is on the never ending NBI plan.
    The other thing which has been mentioned here I think, is that while it might be showing a decent 5G signal in places. It's actually 4G+/4G .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

padair wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. Fairly disappointed in this and with oneplus :(

Thats very disappointing as I bought a One Plus 8 over the summer and was planning to get the new 5G add on from 3 next month.

Very strange and I hope it is something that they remedy soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

bazzz wrote: »
    I took note of the APN settings before I requested the 5G.

Are the APN settings still 3Internet with Auto authentication on 5g?

• Advertisement

Are the APN settings still 3Internet with Auto authentication on 5g?

Yes, still the same.

1huge1 wrote: »
    I don't suppose that list of devices they have authorisedis available?

On this site: https://www.three.ie/5g.html#faqs
    it says You can find a complete list of all our 5G devices here. More devices are being added all the time to bring you even greater choice.

The page it links to is here: the shop for 5g phones for personal users: https://www.three.ie/5g.html#phones

It's only the fairly new 5g phones that are shown as of now.

Clicking "more" on Three's 5g FAQ https://www.three.ie/5g.html#faqs also shows this statement:

Why is my 5G enabled handset not compatible with Three’s 5G network?
    Handset manufacturers and all 5G Operators are eager to ensure that 5G mobile devices will get the best 5G experience. This means work is still underway with Three Ireland to support 5G access for a very limited number of 5G handsets. Visit three.ie for the latest list of 5G supported handsets (variants of which are all fully supported) if you are bringing your own 5G handset to Three.

If you want to check on a specific device then drop into your nearest 3Store or chat with our care team online.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Anyone have a ballpark radius coverage for the n78 mid-band 5G and if there is a forced distance limitation on the service? Three's coverage map is also showing me within coverage despite showing fringe coverage for 4G and reasonable 3G coverage which is what I'm using at the moment for 'broadband'. Reliable enough as I'm on a quiet mast which hasn't gone to 4G yet.

I'm well aware of all local masts and co-located operators on each so am quiet surprised it is showing my premises covered as I'm well in the sticks. Tempted to give them a go when they release a 5G router plan. I'll miss my bitcoin stash from unused credit though.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

5G here in Cork upload only ok but download brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I recently got over 200mb on 4g+ (Virgin media mobile running on 3 network).

It definitely seems that the 4g+ network has improved significantly as the 5g rollout is happening.

https://ibb.co/dBhsPv5

Sunny!! wrote: »
    5G here in Cork upload only ok but download brilliant!

Nice download speed! What type of device is this on Sunny?

Nice download speed! What type of device is this on Sunny?

Huawei Pro 40 lite 5G.

Huawei Pro 40 lite 5G.

Thanks Sunny, is that an unlocked phone that you bought elsewhere or did you get that from Three? I don't see it in the list of 5g phones on their website here https://www.three.ie/5g.html#phones. Just wondering if they're allowing phones that are not on that list to use their 5g network yet.

Thanks Sunny, is that an unlocked phone that you bought elsewhere or did you get that from Three? I don't see it in the list of 5g phones on their website here https://www.three.ie/5g.html#phones. Just wondering if they're allowing phones that are not on that list to use their 5g network yet.

Unlocked was surprised it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Unlocked was surprised it worked.

Just for pig iron, can you post the apn settings here please. Thanks

tiny timy wrote: »
    Just for pig iron, can you post the apn settings here please. Thanks

Attached below.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weeb

Tried that APN configuration out with my 5G router, didn't notice any difference in speed. Maybe someone else can try it out too and check.

Just downloaded a whole Netflix season, 9 episodes in 2 minutes.
    Far more powerful than my fixed line!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just changed to the new prepay 20 plan to get 5G. Topped up my €10 and my balance stayed the same? Do you not keep your credit on this plan? Feel like I've made a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Screenshot-20201031-195106-Chrome.jpg

Galaxy S20 Outdoors, Dublin 5.

Still on 4G indoors.

For anyone who knows where the tower/mast is that they are connecting to, can they give any idea of what range they are at from the mast? Really curious as to what the range is for the 5G service for broadband purposes.

Thanks,

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    For anyone who knows where the tower/mast is that they are connecting to, can they give any idea of what range they are at from the mast? Really curious as to what the range is for the 5G service for broadband purposes.

Thanks,

Jim

0.8km from the mast is the speed I got below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Does anybody have any information on the release date for 5g broadband with Three.

Have asked them directly but they are not saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 T55PLUS

Indoor 5G coverage speeds today with 2/4 bars of 5G.
    Down 71.79Mbps; Up 5.72
    ~200m from nearest the 5G site.

Phone is unlocked X5II not purchased through Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

Hi all
    Just decided to post because I'm totally fed up with three and there bullsh1t.I recently bought a samsung a51 5g phone got a three 5g enabled sim and the add on set it up and no 5g at all I live in a town which shows on there coverage map saying there is 5g in the area.I went to chat them on Facebook messenger explaining my case takes ages for them to reply finally get a answer saying oh you need a software update on your phone I already done that at the start.Im so angry and annoyed with there false coverage map and paying a lot of money for a new phone and sim with the add on I know there are a lot of people in the same situation as me they must think we can be pissing away money for a service they think they can offer time for them to wise up or do one.

westyIrl wrote: »

Thanks,

Jim

I'm 1.1km away from the mast

Indoor Ranges between 250-350Mbps & 30-50Mbps up.

Outside Ranges between 350-530Mbps & 60-120Mbps up.

Using a factory bought Samsung S20 Ultra. I did a trial for a month, because my VF signal has been rubbish for over a year now. Going to port my number over.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Does anybody have any information on the release date for 5g broadband with Three.

Have asked them directly but they are not saying.

I've asked also (incl. business inquiry) and just got the same info as website; i.e. "soon". I don't mind waiting while things settle down a bit and 5G routers become a bit more mainstream. My biggest concern is that the coverage map is a bit of pipe dream as I'm over 4km from my local three mast that hasn't been upgraded to 4G, yet I'm showing as covered for 5G :confused:.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

How do you see what 5g masts are near you?

• Advertisement

jdon72 wrote: »
    How do you see what 5g masts are near you?

See here.

Advertisement