Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

OmegaGene wrote: »
    ovoids are not the same as coal and not meant to be touched whilst burning, you load up the stove and when they are glowing red you reduce the airflow and the glow maintains for the evening, the more you keep loading it up you are just crushing the glowing ovoids into ash

Why don't you ring them up and get them returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Blowheads wrote: »
    Why don't you ring them up and get them returned?

i take it you quoted me by mistake, not a chance i am returning my ovoids they are great

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭deisedav

P_Cash wrote: »
    Large Easyglow ovids are just the same as turf.
    Coal shouldn't have a huge amount of Ash.
    The fire dies so quickly,
    If you touch a red coal after an hr of burning it disintegrates in to Ash.
    It's not coal at all.
    The more fires I light the more fuming I am.

Great heat if I keep rattling the fire and emptying Ash and shoveling in lots of coal.

Contrast that to a 13 hr burn with CW Ovids without touching them. Half a coal bucket.

The only good news is that I'll go through the tonne quickly and I've a Tonne of CW Ovids in the shed from a few years back as emergency supply.

The large easyglow ovoids are the same as turf. If that's true I can only imagine that amount of ash would drive me bananas. Did you get the ovoids for the open fire? Or the ones for the stove?. .I'm on the fence now again about where to order from. Worst thing about getting a large amount of coal is if its bad it will annoy you until its gone, and it will take some time to use it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I’ve a large 30km stove and I’ve used both Large and Small Ovoids from Easyglow. The large ones were class and burned for ages and gave off great heat. Not much ash either. The small ones are better suited I think to a smaller stove and they do leave more ash than the bigger ones.

I wouldn’t order the small ones again, but I would go back to the larger ones no problem. I found them better than the coal ware house. I probably should have stuck to what I know from the large ones from Easyglow but I decided to try something new.

deisedav wrote: »
    The large easyglow ovoids are the same as turf. If that's true I can only imagine that amount of ash would drive me bananas. Did you get the ovoids for the open fire? Or the ones for the stove?. .I'm on the fence now again about where to order from. Worst thing about getting a large amount of coal is if its bad it will annoy you until its gone, and it will take some time to use it up.

they are not the same as turf, if you have a small stove get small ovoids if you have a large then get large ovoids
    my stove was going for 12 hours and i just emptied the ash pan now and that all the ash there was, it is the same as supertherm which costs €20 for a 20 kg bag
    the bonus of ovoids is there are no cinders of ****e left like with coal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry3

Any idea what I should do, as I have a large back boiler stove (17kw) and a small stove (9kw). Will I just use the large ovoids this time as I tried the small ones from easyglow before and there was lots of Ash alright. Do they ship half and half, or does anybody?.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Chemistry3 wrote: »
    Any idea what I should do, as I have a large back boiler stove (17kw) and a small stove (9kw). Will I just use the large ovoids this time as I tried the small ones from easyglow before and there was lots of Ash alright. Do they ship half and half, or does anybody?.

My advice is to stay away from large ovids from easyglow.it says open fire on website i think.

Fire choking itself out here theres so much ash

Just a tip, if you have unburnt coal from coal warehouse or bits left in grate don't throw it out, it will burn in the next fire.
    Seems a lot of people want a clean grate to start with, but your throwing out fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Hi, I got a tonne of ovoids from Easyglow about a month ago after reading the reviews here. Half and half. Have no issue with them at all. Really good value, delivered within 2 days and all stored in the shed now for the winter. 20kg bags makes life a whole lot easier. I don’t get the moaning about ash, what do people expect after a fire! Personal preference is for the larger ones so might just get a tonne of them the next time. I have both standard and boiler stoves.

ollin wrote: »
    Hi, I got a tonne of ovoids from Easyglow about a month ago after reading the reviews here. Half and half. Have no issue with them at all. Really good value, delivered within 2 days and all stored in the shed now for the winter. 20kg bags makes life a whole lot easier. I don’t get the moaning about ash, what do people expect after a fire! Personal preference is for the larger ones so might just get a tonne of them the next time. I have both standard and boiler stoves.

That sounds great, I may go big as well this time rather than half and half...believe the large ovoids for cookers are suitable for all stoves. The Ash from the small ovoids seems a thing many have said though, I never got it as bad with just burning only wood.

P_Cash wrote: »
    My advice is to stay away from large ovids from easyglow.it says open fire on website i think.

Fire choking itself out here theres so much ash

Just a tip, if you have unburnt coal from coal warehouse or bits left in grate don't throw it out, it will burn in the next fire.
    Seems a lot of people want a clean grate to start with, but your throwing out fuel

I did notice that I never had choking with the small ovoids, could be lumping them on for days...perhaps just have to mix up the large ovoids with wood then for those to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Hi Ollin,

What website did you use and how many 20kg bags in a tonne? What was the cost of a tonne?

Thanks

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Hi Ollin,

What website did you use and how many 20kg bags in a tonne? What was the cost of a tonne?

Thanks

They mentioned easyglow in the post and they have a website with all the prices there

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Hi Ollin,

Thanks

Easyglow website! 50 x 20kg bags. €352 including delivery. Used promocode EASYFACEBOOK at the time for a reduction in delivery but don’t know if it’s still in circulation

Easyglow website! 50 x 20kg bags. €352 including delivery. Used promocode EASYFACEBOOK at the time for a reduction in delivery but don’t know if it’s still in circulation

Yeah, I was asleep that time and missed out on the 20 euro discount :). Now 382 euro delivered to me vs 362. 50*20kg bags are fierce handy alright for moving them to the shed and bringing one in every couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Thanks for that going to need a bigger shed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

Thanks for that going to need a bigger shed!!

If you can fit a pallet in the shed then thats all you need space wise. Coal comes on a pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If you can fit a pallet in the shed then thats all you need space wise. Coal comes on a pallet.

If your man in the truck has a spare pallet ask him for it and it makes moving them to the shed way easier, plus you can make some kindling afterwards.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 j.quinn.esq

Ahh, dammit!

I partly guessed that sooner or later our cunning plan of posting positive reviews on bags of coal that didn't actually burn at all would be rumbled.

Still the cheque's are cashed and it was good while it lasted.

Fair play jasper, you've been shooting from the hip and telling it like it really is since October 2020.

It's a fair cop.
    mgn wrote: »
    Normally when you get a review like yours, its usually a competitor.
    podge3 wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I recently purchased a ton of the small Easyglow ovoids. I was a CW customer since this thread started but got 2 tonnes of the bad stuff from them early this year.

My initial impressions of the EG ovoids was good, but this was based on several small fires. I have a 20KW Boru and its only in the last 2 weeks or so that I have started lighting big fires.

Now my opinion on the EG stuff is that its bad, really bad. As another poster said on here, there is a HUGE amount of ash left when burnt. Not really an issue when lighting a small fire, but it fills my ash tray now after a few hours and stifles the air flow from the bottom.

I have the stove for about 10 years now and have burned various different coals until I settled on the CW ovoids. I never quenched the fire in all those years once it was well lit but the EG ovoids have killed the fire twice in the past few weeks when I added more to the lit stove.

Its all down to the amount of ash. Once the ovoids burn, the huge quantity of ash stops the airflow through the burning coals. I have improved things a bit by changing where I place the ovoids on the grate but I never had to do this before with any other type of coal. Until this year, the CW ovoids were great, light the fire with regular coal and horse in a bucket of the CW stuff and the stove is glowing for hours. Can't do that with the EG small ovoids.

Dunno where to go next. I'm loathe to go back to CW but I certainly won't be buying from EG again. I now have almost 3 tonnes of sh!te to burn this winter - 2 tonnes of CW and one tonne of EG. To make matters worse, I recommended EG to my sister and she also purchased a tonne. I'm getting grief from her too about the ash!

I thought I was the only one! I burned CW last year and as bad as they were (people told me that, it was my first year burning them) the amount of not just ash but unburnt bits left over is huge. With CW my grate would just have fine ash the next morning but with EG I almost need a trailer. I don't think I'll be getting any more, burn this tone and move on....

I warned posters of my experience and got a ban for trolling!
    Turns out im not the only one who stated these easy glow are dirt, buyer beware, they are crap, a mountain of black ash that chokes out a fire.
    Buy cheap buy twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

OmegaGene wrote: »
    reburn ash ?

Cinders

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Just want to add my own experience of Easyglo.

Had been a Superthem large ovoids man for years. Found great heat from them but often lots of ash and clinkers left over.
    Took a chance on the small Easyglo ovoids and have been really impressed. Superb heat and they look great in my glass front stove.
    Very little ash left over, and barely no clinkers. Not sure if CW would be better, but I'm definitely very happy.

• Advertisement

Cinders

The person was complaining about the amount of ash being produced from the e/g ovoids
    I find it perfectly acceptable personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

i got the Easyglow small ovoids for the first time this year and while I'm happy enough with the quality, heat level and amount of ash, I find they burn away quite quickly compared to the larger ovoids, no matter how low the draught. Not sure if I'd get them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

If your man in the truck has a spare pallet ask him for it and it makes moving them to the shed way easier, plus you can make some kindling afterwards.

Just a piece of advice if they come on the blue pallets (which is how mine came) then don't burn the blue pallets. The dye is like burning wet wood and increases the creosote/soot in your stove and chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

A few years ago I burned a ton of the Easyglo small ovoids.
    I didn't have a problem with too much ash and they burned ok but not as good as other ovoids from different suppliers.

My biggest problem was when I went to get the chimney cleaned after the winter burning the Easyglo small ovoids.
    My chimney was covered in coal tar, wet slimy sticky tar. The chimney sweep refused to clean it. I never had such tar in all my years burning coal, ovoids and wood.

I had to get chimney cleaner powder and after a month of burning it and other ovoids, the chimney dried out and when cleaned the amount of soot was unbelievable. In all my years I never saw this.

I mentioned this in post # 2223.

I haven't used Easyglo ovoids since no matter what price they are.
    As j.quinn.esq mentioned in post #3229 "buy cheap, buy twice"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

lenscap wrote: »
    I didn't have a problem with too much ash and they burned ok but not as good as other ovoids from different suppliers.

My biggest problem was when I went to get the chimney cleaned after the winter burning the Easyglo small ovoids.
    My chimney was covered in coal tar, wet slimy sticky tar. The chimney sweep refused to clean it. I never had such tar in all my years burning coal, ovoids and wood.

I had to get chimney cleaner powder and after a month of burning it and other ovoids, the chimney dried out and when cleaned the amount of soot was unbelievable. In all my years I never saw this.

Those ovoids must have got wet because they don't cause that issue.

I clean my own chimney at least once a year and I burn everything bar plastic. I burn smoky coal, turf, ovoids, blocks, waste wood from jobs and any pallet I get will be used as kindling no matter what colour. I've never had any huge amounts of soot, and never any "tar", never heard of anyone else having "tar" in chimneys either and I know two chimney sweeps.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Those ovoids must have got wet because they don't cause that issue.

I clean my own chimney at least once a year and I burn everything bar plastic. I burn smoky coal, turf, ovoids, blocks, waste wood from jobs and any pallet I get will be used as kindling no matter what colour. I've never had any huge amounts of soot, and never any "tar", never heard of anyone else having "tar" in chimneys either and I know two chimney sweeps.

The ovoids weren't wet. I had them in a bunker in a lean-to. I know what wet ovoids look like and what they would look like if they had been wet and dried out.

Just giving my experience.

I have had the stove since 2010 and never had this problem and had the chimney cleaned every spring.
    I will ask the chimney sweep (same guy does it for me every year) to explain better about the tar so I can explain it better He showed the tar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Lads our estate bought 24 pallets of CW Ovids early September and not one complaint, I got 8 of them 4 for myself and 4 for family and friends... Pull the trigger and get these you won't be disappointed

pm. wrote: »
    Lads our estate bought 24 pallets of CW Ovids early September and not one complaint, I got 8 of them 4 for myself and 4 for family and friends... Pull the trigger and get these you won't be disappointed

OK, you convinced me to go CW. The tables have now turned and Easyglow are the ones getting a bad rap from everybody now. Creosole build up, Ash issue, small ovoids burning too fast etc...do you suggest the large ovoids from CW or half and half and how much for a tonne delivered?. Easyglow are 382 euros ( 324 plus 58 shipping). Coal Warehouse on FB are 300 euros but shipping must be more...will probably work out similar.

Found a tonne of smokeless ovoids for 275 euro excl. delivery from Edendork Energy, check our their FB. They listed their unbelievable offer on Nov 2. What do ye think?. Perhaps 350 incl. shipping. Good find and I must message them as that would beat both Easyglow and CW.

https://m.facebook.com/Edendork-Energy-Ireland-Ltd-112784340370854/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭razorronan

lenscap wrote: »

As a comparison. I ordered a tonne of the small oviods from Easyglow last winter for the first time. I get my stove and flue cleaned by the same guy ever year. He was out earlier this week and asked me if I had changed fuel this winter as the stove and flue were the cleanest he'd ever seen it. I had been burning coal and wood in the years previous. Maybe the oviods have improved since you got them.

Advertisement