Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,672 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

TimHorton wrote: »
    Would you believe it?, Ireland's meat processors have been selling cheap untraceable imported beef and pork dressed up in Bord Bia packaging for decades claiming to be Irish..

If that was the case it would be on Prime Time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

If that was the case it would be on Prime Time :P

https://www.thejournal.ie/horse-meat-beef-burgers-supermarkets-755676-Jan2013/

Horse and pig DNA found in supermarket beef burgers

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bacon-firm-says-sorry-after-dna-tests-prove-its-rashers-arent-irish-29772551.html

Bacon firm says sorry after DNA tests prove its rashers aren't Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

What is origin of this Smokeless coal from EG, and CW ? I hate products with no traceability

google helps

Welcome to EasyGlow Smokeless Fuels
    We pride ourselves on being the sole manufacturer of Smokeless Coal Ovals (Nuggetts) in Northern Ireland. We have spent the last six years perfecting our formulations for our EasyGlow Smokeless Coal Oval Nuggetts using the highest possible quality materials.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

airman737 wrote: »
    Was a much bigger truck that delivered to me last week. I have narrow lane, but he still got in with a bit of effort!

Thanks, left a comment on the order that it's a narrow lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

In the past I have bought Ovoids from CW.
    Decided to give EG a go this time and went for a split pallet between their small and large ovoids.
    The heat output from large EG ovoids is not as good as from CW ovoids. Seems to be much more ash and ovoids fall apart after a short while burning.
    However the smaller EG ovoids seem better quality, they don't disintegrate and the heat output is as good as large CW ovoids...
    Just a personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Just got a despatch email from EasyGlow anyone know if I get an update of what day it will be delivered?

Small ovoids from easy glow are absolutely roasting, I’ve got the windows open it’s so hot in the gaff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Got mine this morning. Driver helped get it up the drive way in the pallet truck (both b*lloxed afterwards) so had to give him a tip for a couple of pints (well cans in the current environment :)

Bags are plain white and note on the side explained why and contents are the same - I've nothing to compare to so as soon as I start using them/stove I'll let you know compared to CW offerings

As promised I'd report back ...

Finished the first bag and all good :)

The Ovoids burn with great heat and all that's left is the yellow ash/dust afterwards

I actually like the smaller sized Ovoids for no particular reason :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Just got a despatch email from EasyGlow anyone know if I get an update of what day it will be delivered?

I got their email late Monday evening, got a call yesterday (Tuesday) from the courier with delivery this afternoon (Wednesday)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

slave1 wrote: »
    I got their email late Monday evening, got a call yesterday (Tuesday) from the courier with delivery this afternoon (Wednesday)

Delivered on Tuesday got the half and half pallet. Tried the 'triple heat' ones last night great heat lasted the evening. Going to try the household doubles over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Delivered on Tuesday got the half and half pallet. Tried the 'triple heat' ones last night great heat lasted the evening. Going to try the household doubles over the weekend

I bought the same mixed pallet last year. The triple heat were great, the doubles were good. I just went with the triple heat this year though, as i have a new stove and the doubles just didn't seem to put out the same heat for me. That said, a friend used some of the doubles and found them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Lads I got a tonne of Columbian coal from Beatty’s delivered last week. I have only used a couple of times and the quality seems very good. I was just wondering what you do with the left over blue pallet? Is it safe to burn it or can you drop it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just tipped the stove ovoids into the bunker, they are absolutely tiny, hopefully they're decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Lads I got a tonne of Columbian coal from Beatty’s delivered last week. I have only used a couple of times and the quality seems very good. I was just wondering what you do with the left over blue pallet? Is it safe to burn it or can you drop it somewhere?

Break it up, the are great for starting the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hello everyone,

I have Vitae inset 6kw stove installed in our new house. Never used Stoves before in my life (joys of living in an apartment).

I am looking to buy Wood fuel and wondering where to get the best deal please?

In the stove booklet it says :

"Burn only seasoned timber products with a moisture content of less than 20%. To obtain this moisture content allow cut wood to dry for at least 12-18 months. Do not burn construction timber, treated of painted wood, manufactured board or pallets."

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭djo789

masterboy123 depends where you live where u get best deals talk to local tree surgeons they might be a good source of info.
    dryer seasoned timber will give good heat but is less likely to dirty the glass on the stove where poorly seasoned pine will dirty the glass on your stove. manufactured boards or pallets can be laminated or treated with glues etc which may give off smells gasses so best to avoid them I use broken pallets & timber for starting the stove once its going I use stove coal & logs.

top tip -Open all air vents to start the stove then close them as needed to control the burn & heat in the room there are special cleaners for glass when it gets dirty so don worry too much about that.

Lastly Be very careful with ashes they should be stored outside house\ apartment in a flame retardant metal box (They can relight & burn a house down even after a few weeks )

Stoves are great once you get used to them

Djo789:

Many thanks for the info.

I am based in Limerick city.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Entonces

What company are people using for deliveries from CW?

Warde Group looking for €90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Entonces wrote: »
    What company are people using for deliveries from CW?

Warde Group looking for €90

I've been using Joe Mcgovern transport. Think it was about €76 per ton for delivery to munster. You do have to pay by bank transfer but other than that I am happy with them.

https://www.joemcgovern.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Very happy with the small easyglow avoids. Alot of ash, no crap left up on the grate. It all burns.

Hello everyone,

I have Vitae inset 6kw stove installed in our new house. Never used Stoves before in my life (joys of living in an apartment).

I am looking to buy Wood fuel and wondering where to get the best deal please?

In the stove booklet it says :

"Burn only seasoned timber products with a moisture content of less than 20%. To obtain this moisture content allow cut wood to dry for at least 12-18 months. Do not burn construction timber, treated of painted wood, manufactured board or pallets."

you might find this thread handy

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057650543

Thanks. Didn't know coal and firewoods are used in different stoves only.
    I remember our stove is dual fuel.
    OmegaGene wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Do any places sell less than by the tonne? I was only thinking of maybe getting 10x40kg bags or so. Based in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

joe123 wrote: »
    Do any places sell less than by the tonne? I was only thinking of maybe getting 10x40kg bags or so. Based in Galway.

For that amount you are prob looking at a local guy to you rather than big players online. Prob pay a little more but some will carry it to your shed - others will throw it at the front door, one guy actually left them leaning against the front door!

If you are in a position to collect them yourself places doing two bags of supertherm for €38 or what I think is much handier is topline doing 5 * 20kg bags for €45. Way easier lift/manage the 20kg bags.

I find the supertherm excellent in the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

beertons wrote: »
    Very happy with the small easyglow avoids. Alot of ash, no crap left up on the grate. It all burns.

Got a tonne of them myself. Impressed by the heat produced too.

OnLooker wrote: »
    Got a tonne of them myself. Impressed by the heat produced too.

Great value for money and no more horsing bags around in the car for me
    I will be back for more 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

beertons wrote: »

EasyGlow feed back.

bought 1 tonne of easyglow ovids, the larger type. it says open fire on bag.

heatwise comparing to coal warehouse i dont find a difference, ive been a coal warehouse customer for years.
    with so many reviews pointing towards disappointment from march of this year on the ovids from CW i decided to change and not chance it.

i had small ovids before and thought they didnt heap well on a big stove. the coal warehouse would sit and give heat off for 12/13 hrs without touching. so i bought the larger ovids rather than the tiny ones from easyglow

Easyglow big ovids,
    heat more or less the same,
    the disappointment is the amount of ash, its on par with turf if not worse.
    where we would have emptied the ash pan every 3 days, it will now need to be done twice in the day if its lit all day.
    i also find because its so ashy, it will choke itself out.
    i have a thermostatically controlled vent on the stove, but if you have a bed of ash after 6/7 hrs, it wont be much use.

this is a big deal for those disposing of ash and does have land around them.

ill probably go back to coalwarehouse next year, thankfully i just bought the tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

djo789 wrote: »

top tip -Open all air vents to start the stove then close them as needed to control the burn & heat in the room there are special cleaners for glass when it gets dirty so don worry too much about that.

Stoves are great once you get used to them

Top tip part 2 - don’t buy commercial stove glass cleaner, When stove is cold, wet a rag or kitchen towel, dip it in the ash of the fire and rub it around the glass, comes up like new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

vicwatson wrote: »
    Top tip part 2 - don’t buy commercial stove glass cleaner, When stove is cold, wet a rag or kitchen towel, dip it in the ash of the fire and rub it around the glass, comes up like new

That can cause micro scratches in the glass leading to spider cracks down the line, though I know many people who do it

Advertisement