Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

vicwatson wrote: »
    Top tip part 2 - don’t buy commercial stove glass cleaner, When stove is cold, wet a rag or kitchen towel, dip it in the ash of the fire and rub it around the glass, comes up like new

Opening the top vent cleans the glass for me or if I forget damp kitchen roll

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I find if you wet some newspaper and ash works best for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭navannoel

Oven cleaner. The foam only 2 Euro in Euro stores. Spray on glass then wipe off with rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I throw an orange into the fire and it cleans the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Blowheads wrote: »
    That can cause micro scratches in the glass leading to spider cracks down the line, though I know many people who do it

Toughened glass.

In my experience all good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Review Easy glow small stove ovoids
    Pure dirt!
    A fuel that does not burn!
    Stuck with a ton of this "fuel" that does not burn!
    Start fire with some fire lighters, a briquette and some of this "fuel"
    The briquette and "fuel" gets going and then i add some of this "fuel" and it dies a death!
    Absolute dirt, a waste of money
    I suppose i will have to buy a few bags of real fuel off Staffords and mix it together to try burn this ton of crap.

Caveat emptor
    You have got a real review from me, i can only believe the positive reviews are paid for!

Ahh, dammit!

I partly guessed that sooner or later our cunning plan of posting positive reviews on bags of coal that didn't actually burn at all would be rumbled.

Still the cheque's are cashed and it was good while it lasted.

Fair play jasper, you've been shooting from the hip and telling it like it really is since October 2020.

It's a fair cop.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Pure dirt!
    The briquette and "fuel" gets going and then i add some of this "fuel" and it dies a death!
    I suppose i will have to buy a few bags of real fuel off Staffords and mix it together to try burn this ton of crap.

Caveat emptor
    You have got a real review from me, i can only believe the positive reviews are paid for!

Normally when you get a review like yours, its usually a competitor.

Pure dirt!

Caveat emptor

Are you sure you know how to light a fire lol
    I suppose easyglow sent you a ton of painted stones did they ?

Yep, a new member of this Boards family, just doing my best to warn folk of the crap that i bought with the recommendation of some Boards family members.
    Great full of black ash, and unburned "fuel" in the morning, pure crap, you have been warned, buy at you peril.

Post a few pics of the ovoids that’s didn’t burn in the grate then, I’m sitting here in front of my stove in shorts and a t shirt roasting thanks to the small ovoids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

EasyGlow triple heat, I'm in love. Light the fire with a few starter sticks and a block, a bucket of it at 2pm. It has lasted for the day and the heat is unreal still. Doors are open in the sitting room and it's still too warm. My only problem is tomorrow morning its usually still piping hot to clean out. Great stuff and very good for the money. Whatever the coalman was selling me was sparky and definitely didn't last as long as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

With a name like jasper Quinn it sounds like they may be from Tyrone...maybe the coalisland region!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

In relation to the cleaning suggestions - if the glass is getting that dirty it maybe down to the quality of the fuel.
    After supertherm and dry timber I give the glass a wipe of wet kitchen role and its spotless. The odd day might have to go as far as quick spray of kitchen spray but that would be more if the chamber was overfull and bits had fallen out to the glass.

Stove glass should only take a minute to clean with no big effort.
    After going to bother of having stove its false economy to use poor quality fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭podge3

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I recently purchased a ton of the small Easyglow ovoids. I was a CW customer since this thread started but got 2 tonnes of the bad stuff from them early this year.

My initial impressions of the EG ovoids was good, but this was based on several small fires. I have a 20KW Boru and its only in the last 2 weeks or so that I have started lighting big fires.

Now my opinion on the EG stuff is that its bad, really bad. As another poster said on here, there is a HUGE amount of ash left when burnt. Not really an issue when lighting a small fire, but it fills my ash tray now after a few hours and stifles the air flow from the bottom.

I have the stove for about 10 years now and have burned various different coals until I settled on the CW ovoids. I never quenched the fire in all those years once it was well lit but the EG ovoids have killed the fire twice in the past few weeks when I added more to the lit stove.

Its all down to the amount of ash. Once the ovoids burn, the huge quantity of ash stops the airflow through the burning coals. I have improved things a bit by changing where I place the ovoids on the grate but I never had to do this before with any other type of coal. Until this year, the CW ovoids were great, light the fire with regular coal and horse in a bucket of the CW stuff and the stove is glowing for hours. Can't do that with the EG small ovoids.

Dunno where to go next. I'm loathe to go back to CW but I certainly won't be buying from EG again. I now have almost 3 tonnes of sh!te to burn this winter - 2 tonnes of CW and one tonne of EG. To make matters worse, I recommended EG to my sister and she also purchased a tonne. I'm getting grief from her too about the ash!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 photovoodoo100

podge3 wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I recently purchased a ton of the small Easyglow ovoids. I was a CW customer since this thread started but got 2 tonnes of the bad stuff from them early this year.

My initial impressions of the EG ovoids was good, but this was based on several small fires. I have a 20KW Boru and its only in the last 2 weeks or so that I have started lighting big fires.

Now my opinion on the EG stuff is that its bad, really bad. As another poster said on here, there is a HUGE amount of ash left when burnt. Not really an issue when lighting a small fire, but it fills my ash tray now after a few hours and stifles the air flow from the bottom.

I have the stove for about 10 years now and have burned various different coals until I settled on the CW ovoids. I never quenched the fire in all those years once it was well lit but the EG ovoids have killed the fire twice in the past few weeks when I added more to the lit stove.

Its all down to the amount of ash. Once the ovoids burn, the huge quantity of ash stops the airflow through the burning coals. I have improved things a bit by changing where I place the ovoids on the grate but I never had to do this before with any other type of coal. Until this year, the CW ovoids were great, light the fire with regular coal and horse in a bucket of the CW stuff and the stove is glowing for hours. Can't do that with the EG small ovoids.

Dunno where to go next. I'm loathe to go back to CW but I certainly won't be buying from EG again. I now have almost 3 tonnes of sh!te to burn this winter - 2 tonnes of CW and one tonne of EG. To make matters worse, I recommended EG to my sister and she also purchased a tonne. I'm getting grief from her too about the ash!

I thought I was the only one! I burned CW last year and as bad as they were (people told me that, it was my first year burning them) the amount of not just ash but unburnt bits left over is huge. With CW my grate would just have fine ash the next morning but with EG I almost need a trailer. I don't think I'll be getting any more, burn this tone and move on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Regarding the Ash from Easyglow, I’m in the same boat. I’ve purchased the large ovoids from them before and never had the issue but decided to give the smaller ones a go and every morning the ash pan is full of dark ash and it’s over flowing . Glad it’s not just me who has experienced this. Pretty disappointing. The heat out of them is grand. I don’t think I would get the small ones again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

to the last 3 posters here, I got that bad batch from cw last year too. But i decided to take a chance and stick with them, this batch is back to normal...its very good , the amount of ash is a once a day job.
    They will discount u because of ure bad experience the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 35,672 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Regarding the Ash from Easyglow, I’m in the same boat. I’ve purchased the large ovoids from them before and never had the issue but decided to give the smaller ones a go and every morning the ash pan is full of dark ash and it’s over flowing . Glad it’s not just me who has experienced this. Pretty disappointing. The heat out of them is grand. I don’t think I would get the small ones again.

Reburn them, that what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

to the last 3 posters here, I got that bad batch from cw last year too. But i decided to take a chance and stick with them, this batch is back to normal...its very good , the amount of ash is a once a day job.
    They will discount u because of ure bad experience the last time

There is the problem.....batches can vary from week to week even day today.
    No regulation on what goes into them...

Reburn them, that what I do.

reburn ash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I’ve been using the CW ovoids the last few years and haven’t had any issues. I didn’t get any bad batch last year and this years are as good as any other years I’ve got. I use them in both a stove and open fire and no issues in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    There is the problem.....batches can vary from week to week even day today.
    No regulation on what goes into them...

one would assume the N.I regs are as tough as ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Was going to order a half ton of ovoids from kosyking. I see they have more than doubled their delivery price since last year. The half ton will cost just under 300. Easyglow have a half ton of large ovoids for an open fire for 200 delivered. Is this offer too good to be true , I'm wondering had anyone tried them and can comment on the quality. I'm also wary of ordering from easyglow after the people here saying the small ones produce a lot of ash. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

I got a ton of those small ovoids of easyglow. I don't see any problem with ash. I've an 8kw stove , light it at 5 every day til hitting the hay, I just empty the tray the next day. Never any cinders left in the grate.

I think someone posted they had a 20kw stove, that'd be a different animal on fuel I'd imagine.

deisedav wrote: »
    Was going to order a half ton of ovoids from kosyking. I see they have more than doubled their delivery price since last year. The half ton will cost just under 300. Easyglow have a half ton of large ovoids for an open fire for 200 delivered. Is this offer too good to be true , I'm wondering had anyone tried them and can comment on the quality. I'm also wary of ordering from easyglow after the people here saying the small ones produce a lot of ash. Thanks

Easyglow ovoids are perfectly fine, I got a ton of small ovoids after years of using supertherm, the heat is excellent and the next day I have no crap left on the grate just ash in the ash pan
    As for the bad reviews here, people tend to moan very quickly but are slow to praise a company, one person said there’s no heat and it’s pure muck that won’t even light but they wouldn’t show any photos so it could be a fake review

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Easyglow ovoids are perfectly fine, I got a ton of small ovoids after years of using supertherm, the heat is excellent and the next day I have no crap left on the grate just ash in the ash pan
    As for the bad reviews here, people tend to moan very quickly but are slow to praise a company, one person said there’s no heat and it’s pure muck that won’t even light but they wouldn’t show any photos so it could be a fake review

Thanks thats the answer I was looking for. I think I'll save myself 100 and order the large ones next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

one would assume the N.I regs are as tough as ours.

So how do you explain all the different batches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

deisedav wrote: »
    Thanks thats the answer I was looking for. I think I'll save myself 100 and order the large ones next week.

I have the half and half triple heat and household doubles from easyglo and use it in an open fire. No more ash than usual and I only ever have to load the fire up once and the heat is in it for the day. No sparks at all either, even though my coal man who was charging so much more had the most awful sparky coal last year. Its great to have the guard down and not worry about it

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I have the half and half triple heat and household doubles from easyglo and use it in an open fire. No more ash than usual and I only ever have to load the fire up once and the heat is in it for the day. No sparks at all either, even though my coal man who was charging so much more had the most awful sparky coal last year. Its great to have the guard down and not worry about it

Would like to try them but I live in an estate so I don't burn the smoky stuff any more. I'm used to the ovoids now so don't really mind

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Large Easyglow ovids are just the same as turf.
    Coal shouldn't have a huge amount of Ash.
    The fire dies so quickly,
    If you touch a red coal after an hr of burning it disintegrates in to Ash.
    It's not coal at all.
    The more fires I light the more fuming I am.

Great heat if I keep rattling the fire and emptying Ash and shoveling in lots of coal.

Contrast that to a 13 hr burn with CW Ovids without touching them. Half a coal bucket.

The only good news is that I'll go through the tonne quickly and I've a Tonne of CW Ovids in the shed from a few years back as emergency supply.

• Advertisement

P_Cash wrote: »
    Large Easyglow ovids are just the same as turf.
    Coal shouldn't have a huge amount of Ash.
    The fire dies so quickly,
    If you touch a red coal after an hr of burning it disintegrates in to Ash.
    It's not coal at all.
    The more fires I light the more fuming I am.

Great heat if I keep rattling the fire and emptying Ash and shoveling in lots of coal.

Contrast that to a 13 hr burn with CW Ovids without touching them. Half a coal bucket.

The only good news is that I'll go through the tonne quickly and I've a Tonne of CW Ovids in the shed from a few years back as emergency supply.

ovoids are not the same as coal and not meant to be touched whilst burning, you load up the stove and when they are glowing red you reduce the airflow and the glow maintains for the evening, the more you keep loading it up you are just crushing the glowing ovoids into ash

Advertisement