Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Officer 2020 in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭I am me123

I can't speak for the DSP but I would think it depends on your role. In my experience, the first days was

1. Filling out HR forms
    2. Introduction to your team / manager
    3. Signing a statutory declaration (which I think depends on your role), and
    4. Straight into training / work.

Although that was pre-covid so thing may have changed now.

Thank you.
    My first day was today & it was a very quiet day. There was a lot of paperwork & forms to fill out & return to HR department.

Were you just given induction, and provided with forms/ paperwork to complete & sign for HR. on the very first day or were you assigned work from your second day on, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I am me123 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    My first day was today & it was a very quiet day. There was a lot of paperwork & forms to fill out & return to HR department.

Were you just given induction, and provided with forms/ paperwork to complete & sign for HR. on the very first day or were you assigned work from your second day on, etc?

My first first-day I couldn't log into the computer so apart from filling out forms and reading policy documents I didn't do alot, even at that i think it was my third day before I got full access to the systems I need for my role.

My second first-day I was a rehire in the same department with more IT access than I needed for that new role and by 11am I was straight into training / work.

It really depends on the role your given, and I'm not just say that.

Some TCO's do processing work like most CO's, however others are given the job of doing up spreadsheets for managers, filing or archiving documents, scanning forms, or support roles such as looking after the stationary and supplies section or post/mail room duties.

Some roles can be really interesting, but I also know TCO's that found their roles to be very boring. Unfortunately you don't get to choose what you do but your role can be changed over time depending on business needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

New TCO 2021 competition starts Friday. Look on public jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MuchZeus

jules5417 wrote: »
    New TCO 2021 competition starts Friday. Look on public jobs.

if i’m already on the 2020 panel, with ~200 people ahead of me on OOM, would it be a good idea to apply to next year’s comp?

MuchZeus wrote: »
    if i’m already on the 2020 panel, with ~200 people ahead of me on OOM, would it be a good idea to apply to next year’s comp?

Once the new panel is formed, this panel will end. If you were on the panel with 2 people ahead of you, it would still be a good idea to apply for next year.

If you do get an appointed on TCO 2020 before the panel ends, it could be a few months before you get called for the 2021 panel. By then your 2020 contract might be finished.

• Advertisement

MuchZeus wrote: »

Definitely you may get a lower OOM number going into next year. Also 2020 panel will prob be closed soon.

Anyone working in DEASP familliar with using BOMI 4 on the system?

Is that where TCOs work is assigned on the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

Bomi is the service delivery system. Has details of all clients, together with details of their claims.

TCO work assigned by your manager. It can be anything from scanning documents, creating claims, answering the phone, dealing with customers on the public desk. I found the staff very helpful until I was familiar with the system

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

Yes using it

Hi All,

I have opened a new thread of TCO 2021 which is live on public jobs now.

Closing Date is 3pm on November 9, 2020.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058126920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 I wonder why?

Thanks for this. Best of luck to anyone who applies.

pjcpolly wrote: »
    Yes using it

Thank you for the reply.
    Is that where TCOs find the client details for processing claims for their assigned department?

Newbie here to DEASP.

Thank you for the reply.
    Is that where TCOs find the client details for processing claims for their assigned department?

Newbie here to DEASP.

You seem like a newbie to boards too, thats the second time you got two responses to your question and you seem to ignore one.

If your in the job a week and don't know where to find client details:

Its either you don't need to because your job doesn't require it, or you do and your trying to avoid asking you colleagues for help.

I think you should speak to your supervisor to clarify your role and, if appropriate, highlight the need for training on key systems.

You seem like a newbie to boards too, thats the second time you got two responses to your question and you seem to ignore one.

If your in the job a week and don't know where to find client details:

Its either you don't need to because your job doesn't require it, or you do and your trying to avoid asking you colleagues for help.

I think you should speak to your supervisor to clarify your role and, if appropriate, highlight the need for training on key systems.

I worked in Social welfare and it was the strangest place I have ever worked. No training, no body to help you, people really were unfriendly and I had to report one member of staff for bullying. Hated it. Please speak to your supervisor. Revenue and Council amazing places to work loved both of these places.

I worked in Social welfare and it was the strangest place I have ever worked. No training, no body to help you, people really were unfriendly and I had to report one member of staff for bullying. Hated it. Please speak to your supervisor. Revenue and Council amazing places to work loved both of these places.

I've worked in two different departments, including a brief temporary assignment to the DSP. Granted, I haven't worked directly with DSP staff but I have received poor quality training from them so I do understand the suffering involved.

My previous post wasn't intended to downplay they're difficulty but rather highlight the need to get clarity and seek assistance. If an EO gave them a task to do, the EO should provide or arrange training to (at least) complete that particular task.

I've worked in two different departments, including a brief temporary assignment to the DSP. Granted, I haven't worked directly with DSP staff but I have received poor quality training from them so I do understand the suffering involved.

My previous post wasn't intended to downplay they're difficulty but rather highlight the need to get clarity and seek assistance. If an EO gave them a task to do, the EO should provide or arrange training to (at least) complete that particular task.

Sorry wasn't meant as a criticism your advice is spot on. I just wanted to let original poster that it really isn't their fault its the lack of training that is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭furrybones

I wasn't in DEASP but my first TCO experience was awful. I worked with people who whispered behind their hands all day every day. Zero training, yet also the assumption that I knew nothing - not even how to open MS Word. I showed up and put in the hours, but I was never as thankful as when that contract ended. The most unapproachable bunch I've ever worked with and I really wasn't sure if I'd ever apply again....

...but I did, and..

My next contract was the complete opposite. I absolutely loved the work, the people, and even the managers! If I was fortunate enough to get another stint there I would take it with both hands.

The point of my story is - sometimes you're just unlucky and the people you work with aren't at all welcoming or approachable, and sometimes the only place you can ask for help is on boards like this.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

furrybones wrote: »
    I wasn't in DEASP but my first TCO experience was awful. I worked with people who whispered behind their hands all day every day. Zero training, yet also the assumption that I knew nothing - not even how to open MS Word. I showed up and put in the hours, but I was never as thankful as when that contract ended. The most unapproachable bunch I've ever worked with and I really wasn't sure if I'd ever apply again....

...but I did, and..

My next contract was the complete opposite. I absolutely loved the work, the people, and even the managers! If I was fortunate enough to get another stint there I would take it with both hands.

The point of my story is - sometimes you're just unlucky and the people you work with aren't at all welcoming or approachable, and sometimes the only place you can ask for help is on boards like this.

Thanks so much.

I've not been in the role a week yet & still trying to find my feet.
    Quick question re - viewing payslips online.
    Anyone know where I'd go or who to contact about finding out my employers' payroll number? Using the PSSC portal. I'm in the DEASP.
    Thanks.

Thanks so much.

Anyone know where I'd go or who to contact about finding out my employers' payroll number? Using the PSSC portal. I'm in the DEASP.
    Thanks.

Go to HR and ask, they'll have all your info. From memory, they should request you're set up on the PSSC portal. You'll get an email with a password, and then you can set up your security questions and reset your password.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Go to HR and ask, they'll have all your info. From memory, they should request you're set up on the PSSC portal. You'll get an email with a password, and then you can set up your security questions and reset your password.

Thanks a mill.

Does H.R. for the DEASP have a contact email address or does contact details for H.R in DEASP vary depending on the county your office is in?

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill.

Does H.R. for the DEASP have a contact email address or does contact details for H.R in DEASP vary depending on the county your office is in?

There should be a HR department in your building. Ask your colleagues or line manager who you should speak to. It's tough being the new kid, but I've found most people tend to be very helpful. Deep breaths, and ask the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭doc22

There should be a HR department in your building. Ask your colleagues or line manager who you should speak to. It's tough being the new kid, but I've found most people tend to be very helpful. Deep breaths, and ask the questions.

What? Every DEASP office certainly doesn't have a HR dep. HR is in HQ or admin through Peoplepoint. Training officer or union rep perhaps

doc22 wrote: »
    What? Every DEASP office certainly doesn't have a HR dep. HR is in HQ or admin through Peoplepoint. Training officer or union rep perhaps

No, not every DEASP office will have a HR dept, which is why I suggested asking a colleague or line manager who they should contact.

Thanks.

Is there an email address for H.R. for D.E.A.S.P that I could contact to get my payroll number?

Would helpdesk@pssc.gov.ie. be able to assist me in getting my Payroll number?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Have you logged into your revenue account and checked if they’ve been added as your employer? If they have your employer and employer number will be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Thanks.

Is there an email address for H.R. for D.E.A.S.P that I could contact to get my payroll number?

Would helpdesk@pssc.gov.ie. be able to assist me in getting my Payroll number?

I can't remember but I think so. If it is your Employer tax number you need anyone in your office should be able to look it up on their own payslip.

As has been said you really should be able to ask your line Manager for all this info. It is their job to either tell you or let you know who you should contact. I have worked in these offices and know what some of these old and not so old hags can be like. They act as if you should magically know everything from day one. I guess they expect you to lick it off a stone outside the door.

But unless someone takes you under their wing you will have to approach your line Manager. Some of them thrive on bullying and intimidation. Others have been doing it for so long they don't even notice it.

Sorry if I have misread the situation and you are in fact being looked after. But it is strange that you are asking these job specific questions on here. I hope things get better for you as they normally do after the first few weeks. But as I said don't feel like you are being a burden by asking your Manager questions. How are you supposed to learn if nobody will help you? And just sitting reading a manual isn't training either especially if you are in an Intreo Office where there is so much to learn.

I'm not having a go at you as I've been there and feel your pain. So feel free to post here if you are stuck but you will really need help from your Manager or colleagues to make things easier for yourself.

EO2019 wrote: »
    Have you logged into your revenue account and checked if they’ve been added as your employer? If they have your employer and employer number will be up there.

Thank you.
    Is that the same as the Payroll number?

Thanks so much.

Anyone know where I'd go or who to contact about finding out my employers' payroll number? Using the PSSC portal.
    I'm in the DEASP.
    Thanks.

https://pssc.gov.ie/ is the website for viewing your payslips. If you haven't recented a "Token" or link via your work email to setup an account you will need to send an email to tokenrequest@nsso.gov.ie with your Name, Department and your PPSN number.

Once your are setup and log in, you will be able to see your payslips (normally available on the Monday before payday). Your employer's Tax Number will be on the payslip opposit the departments name "DEASP......reg no: 0000000xx"

P.S: Sometime the Tax / Payroll / Employer's number will be on your contract. It should have 7 numbers and 1 or 2 letters (looks like a PPS number)

https://pssc.gov.ie/ is the website for viewing your payslips. If you haven't recented a "Token" or link via your work email to setup an account you will need to send an email to tokenrequest@nsso.gov.ie with your Name, Department and your PPSN number.

Once your are setup and log in, you will be able to see your payslips (normally available on the Monday before payday). Your employer's Tax Number will be on the payslip opposit the departments name "DEASP......reg no: 0000000xx"

P.S: Sometime the Tax / Payroll / Employer's number will be on your contract. It should have 7 numbers and 1 or 2 letters (looks like a PPS number)

Thank you. I sent off an email to http: www.tokenrequest@nsso.gov.ie today, with my name, department & PPSN.
    I recieved an acknowledgement for the email I sent.

What happens now?

• Advertisement

Thank you. I sent off an email to http: www.tokenrequest@nsso.gov.ie today, with my name, department & PPSN.
    I recieved an acknowledgement for the email I sent.

What happens now?

You will get a email with a link to setup your portal account, and you will set your password. After that you will be able to log in at https://pssc.gov.ie/

It will come with instructions.

Advertisement