Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Clerical Officer 2021 in the Civil and Public Service (Please read OP)

• 30-10-2020 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Temporary Clerical Officer Campaign is now live on Friday, 30 October 2020 and closes at 3PM on 9 November 2020. We will be recruiting nationwide across the Civil Service.

As a Temporary Clerical Officer, the role may involve general clerical duties, working as part of a team in delivering services, working with latest technology to record and advance services, supporting line-managers and colleagues and communicating and providing a quality public service to customers and the general public.

The recruitment process will consist of
    two stages.
    1. Stage One is an Assessment Questionnaire available for both standard and special needs candidates and
    2. Stage Two is a competency based interviews (via Zoom).

This campaign is ran by the Public Appointments Service (PAS) and a panel of suitable candidates will be formed from this competition.

The Civil Service and certain public service agencies may, from time to time, require temporary clerical officers (TCOs) to fill full-time temporary vacancies. Requests to fill many of these vacancies are undertaken through the Public Appointments Service (PAS). To facilitate possible demands, PAS will initiate a selection process to fill vacancies should they arise. Candidates should be aware that placement on a panel is not a guarantee of appointment.

The terms and conditions, including the duration and period of temporary contracts offered will vary from post to post. Assignments will be to a temporary position. There is no entitlement to a permanent position. Please note that the minimum contract duration is for an eight-week period.

Helpdesk Email Address: TCO2021@publicjobs.ie

View: [URL=" https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/index.php?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=124978&campaignId=20210604 "]TCO Campaign on publicjobs.ie[/URL]
    View: Competency Framework for Clerical Officers
    View: [URL=" https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/campaignAdverts/124978/booklet "]Information Booklet[/URL]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

General Information / FAQs

Why won’t the application form won’t open for me?

You will need to download and save the form to your computer first, it should open for you then.

Can I pick more than one preferred location?

Unfortunately, not for TCO campaigns. You can only pick one location.

Are these jobs Permanent or Temporary? If I get a job could I be made permanent?

This campaign is for Temporary Clerical Officers and the duration of contracts are usually for between 8-26 weeks. For permanent clerical officer roles, you need to apply for the Clerical Officer campaign which is ran separately.

What is meant by availability?

There are two availability option:
    • All Year - If you are available to take up a position at any time
    • April to September (aka Summer Only) - If you are only available during the summer months.
    A candidates who indicates that they are available from "April to September" or "All Year" should be available for the entirety of that period. If you are unavailable to take up a position when contacted by PAS you may be removed from the panel.

I applied for a previous temporary clerical officer campaign and I didn’t get appointed, can I apply again?

Yes, it’s a new competition and you will have to complete all stages again. Your scores from previous campaigns do not carry over so you do have the opportunities to improve your performance at each stage

I applied for a previous temporary clerical officer campaign and I did get appointed, can I apply again? – New this year

Yes, Candidates who have successfully completed a TCO contract/s within the 3 years prior to 9th November 2020 may not be required to undergo a Stage 2 - Interview. Such candidates will, if advanced to Stage 2, instead be required to provide satisfactory references, for the period of the TCO contract/s in question, confirming suitable performance in the role. These references will be verified with the relevant Department. Other additional references may also be required for other recent employment. Please note that details of all prior TCO contracts, including those within the last 3 years, must be provided on the Standard Application Form.

What is involve in the recruitment process?

1. An standard (online) and detailed (word doc) application form (Deadline: 3pm on November 9th.)
    2. Stage 1: An Online Assessment Questionnaire received by the 13th November (Deadline: 1pm on November 17th)
    3. Stage 2: A Competency Based Interview via Zoom - Batch 1 to be called in December 2020, with further batches to be called throughout 2021.
    4. Clearance Stage: If you come under consideration, this stage involves checking eligibility, health and character, references and may include Garda Vetting.

If I pass Interview am I guaranteed a job?

No, Candidates that are successful in completing all stages including interview are placed on a panel of suitably qualified persons. The number of TCO positions will vary depending on the needs of the department in a particular location. The positions are filled by order of merit as they arise.

What is an order of merit?

Candidates are placed in an order of merit (OOM) based on their scores achieved at each stage and it is used to determine the order in which candidates progress to the next stage of the competition. The candidate highest in the order of merit after the interview stage are assigned to the next available role until all positions are filled.

What is the salary of a Temporary Clerical Officer?

Starting salary is €471.20 per week in line with Clerical Officer (PPC) payscale. All TCO’s start on point one of the scales, however incremental credit may be available for previous service in the public and civil services.

Clerical officer (PPC)
    24,586 (471.20) – 26,195 (502.02) – 26,604 (509.85) – 27,401 (525.13) – 28,577 (547.67) – 29,751 (570.17) – 30,925 (592.67) – 31,781 (609.05) – 32,747 (627.60) – 33,873 (649.16) – 34,665 (664.35) – 35,779 (685.68) – 36,885 (706.90) – 38,612 (739.99) – LSI 1 39,970 (766.01) – LSI 2 40,592 (777.93)

(Under Construction)

Public Jobs / Intreo Video for TCO 2021 (available until Nov 9th)

https://vimeo.com/473384474/a24ee0f21a?fbclid=IwAR0PsRxgEJWpwyTbIm3JtSWzjxJcDXsd23OlNCuSbyU7ZjM_dZ4d4draCDE

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DarkJ

Is anybody having trouble with the 'detailed application form'? It's downloaded and saved to my machine but it's locked. Won't allow me to type in any information.

DarkJ wrote: »
    Is anybody having trouble with the 'detailed application form'? It's downloaded and saved to my machine but it's locked. Won't allow me to type in any information.

I didn't have any issues with the application form, did you get any banner along the top asking to allow editing?

I get that sometime with a new word document, I have to allow editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sweetiesloth

Also see online Questionnaire is out 13th November.
    Zoom interview for Batch 1 in December 2020.
    Candidates who completed TCO contracts within 3yrs prior to 9th November 2020 may not be required to undergo Stage 2 interview just references instead.

Form this year slightly different but easier as Word document instead of the PDF format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭furrybones

Is there an option at the top to 'allow editing'?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Also see online Questionnaire is out 13th November.
    Zoom interview for Batch 1 in December 2020.
    Candidates who completed TCO contracts within 3yrs prior to 9th November 2020 may not be required to undergo Stage 2 interview just references instead.

Form this year slightly different but easier as Word document instead of the PDF format.

Finally someone in PAS has had a rush of fecal matter to the brain.

Finally someone in PAS has had a rush of fecal matter to the brain.

Its really good they are letting people with previous TCO experience skip the interview. It seems pointless going to interview after interview for a temporary role.

I didn't have any issues with the application form, did you get any banner along the top asking to allow editing?

How did you do that. Mine is has read write access but I can't extend the table without a big Morris McCabe copy and paste saga? Bit stupid that the original won't automatically expand. PAS three steps forward 1/2 step back :rolleyes:
    I wonder in the section were they ask about employment gaps could one type that the form wouldn't allow me to add any more jobs.;)

How did you do that. Mine is has read write access but I can't extend the table without a big Morris McCabe copy and paste saga? Bit stupid that the original won't automatically expand. PAS three steps forward 1/2 step back :rolleyes:
    I wonder in the section were they ask about employment gaps could one type that the form wouldn't allow me to add any more jobs.;)

Well I meant I no issues editing, I did have to copy/paste for education and jobs sections. Maybe they are using it to test of MS Word skills 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

Quick question do I need to download the basic application form or is it just the detailed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

jules5417 wrote: »
    Quick question do I need to download the basic application form or is it just the detailed one.

The basic one was online. Didn’t need to download it.

Well I meant I no issues editing, I did have to copy/paste for education and jobs sections. Maybe they are using it to test of MS Word skills 😂😂

I doubt it. For the 2020 one Iwas notified on a Monday that my interview would be in the following Monday. On Friday 4 days later I got an email from pas on my gmail saying we never got your detailed application pdf, I did wonder how I got the invite in the first place if that was the case but after I resent the completed form again I rang pas to make sure they had it and the impression I got from the tone of the person was why are you ringing me shur we don’t even read them.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    The basic one was online. Didn’t need to download it.

The basic form is online you are asked to attach the detailed one after pressing continue on the basic.

Yes, Thank you.

furrybones wrote: »
    Is there an option at the top to 'allow editing'?

Yes, Thank you.

Yes, Thank you.

Does this appear automatically or do have to do something. I didn’t notice anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Started filling in the form yesterday. In fairness to PAS , I think it's a good decision to move away from the pdf document to ms word. Last time around I had a load of issues trying to download the correct version of acrobat reader. Using word simplifies things imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Puguchung

Does anyone know why there are the two time periods to choose between - all year or April to September? Is there a specific thing going on April to September that needs the staff, or is it just a way of giving a 6 month option?

Puguchung wrote: »
    Does anyone know why there are the two time periods to choose between - all year or April to September? Is there a specific thing going on April to September that needs the staff, or is it just a way of giving a 6 month option?

The April to September stream is primarily to give opportunity to students etc looking for summer work and focus on increased pressures due to staff taking annual leave. These contracts would normally be for 8-12 week.

The All Year stream is broader including: increases in demand for services, new projects, annual leave, short-term working arrangement, maternity leave cover etc and the contracts can vary between 8-26 weeks (with some being extended for up to 18 months or so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Do you need to make a new account for this competition? Can I not use the same one as I used for another Comp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭furrybones

channing90 wrote: »
    Do you need to make a new account for this competition? Can I not use the same one as I used for another Comp ?

You don't need a make a new Public Jobs account. Just sign into your old one as that's where your candidate ID is.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

Does this appear automatically or do have to do something. I didn’t notice anything.

It did show up automatically at the top, like a banner. Click here to allow editing.

It did show up automatically at the top, like a banner. Click here to allow editing.

Ok perhaps I’ll reopen a fresh one.

I don't have word installed on my laptop any suggestions on downloading detailed application form.

I don't have word installed on my laptop any suggestions on downloading detailed application form.

Do you have a gmail account?

If so, you could try downloading google docs

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://docs.google.com/&ved=2ahUKEwiSjauHkeLsAhUAUBUIHW4FCxoQFjABegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3jmyQoQebIiWAhkJ0S1T-o

Thank you. Tried one drive but when I went to browse and tried to open uploaded file it wouldn't open so had to delete it. Hopefully get it on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Another option is to use a free word processor like Libre Office.
    This allows you to work with documents which use the Word format no problem.

If all fails book time in a library computer, it may take time to complete the form with all the editing foolishness but you have till 9th I think.

• Advertisement

If all fails book time in a library computer, it may take time to complete the form with all the editing foolishness but you have till 9th I think.

Thanks another question is when I browse and check file before sending its not opening to show I have the correct file. Any ideas sorry for all the questions.

Advertisement