Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I quite like Barry Egan's work to be honest. It's not like he's a hard hitting gonzo journalist or anything. He's a gossip columnist, and I think he does that with the wit and levity that is required. I get the feeling Egan's tongue is firmly in his cheek as he writes what he writes.

Oh, HIS cheek. Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

For me it's Fintan O'Toole as all he does in his writing is state the obvious. Who do you think is Ireland's worst journalist?

We could have a competition for Ireland's worst columnist. O'Toolebox is so insufferably smug. I think he's at his worst on the radio. I spouts such meaningless nonsense with great pseudo profundity. Furthermore, his smugness is topped off with such naive moral superiority typical of liberal (in the american sense) Guardian style media types.

He has won the Orwell prize, so someone has clearly be suckered by his BS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That one who's name escapes me that bought a flat in the docklands and then wrote columns about how unfair all of it was when it lost its value during the crash. I think there was a bit of a legal hullabaloo about it too on boards.ie with her not liking the fact that she was being discussed. Her articles were generally just complete airhead stuff, a Dublin Carrie Bradshaw lite.

Alison O'Riordan. Seems she's re-established herself as a court reporter.

Was just another Indo bubblehead. As is Egan. See, both sexes.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/i-signed-my-life-away-for-the-sake-of-city-centre-apartment-26642735.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That one who's name escapes me that bought a flat in the docklands and then wrote columns about how unfair all of it was when it lost its value during the crash. I think there was a bit of a legal hullabaloo about it too on boards.ie with her not liking the fact that she was being discussed. Her articles were generally just complete airhead stuff, a Dublin Carrie Bradshaw lite.

Was that Niamh Horan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Is Ursula Halligan still pretending to be a journalist? Haven't seen her recently. Or did she get what was coming to her career wise after she gleefully told Brian Lenihan's kids their daddy was going to die of cancer on St Stephen's Day. Happy Christmas indeed!

If she is gone and so is Ivan "40-Pensions" Yeats then Ciara Kelly. But does she count as a journalist? She's a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Brendan O'Connor came out with this infamous article in 2007, f*cking idiot!

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-26307728.html

The Sindo is the biggest pile of garbage to masquerade as a serious newspaper in this country. They ran what amounted to a campaign of harassment against John Hume, you had this pillock and Eoghan Harris rimming Bertie every week. Terry Keanes Keane edge which she didn't even write as it turned out. Nowadays it's just obsessed with Z list celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Eoghan Harris. The man is a parody of himself at this stage.

Harris basically has one story: "Sinn Fein are bad m'kay?" which get's pulled into all kinds of other topics that he's pretending to address.

Not that there's anything wrong with thinking bad of SF, but someone in national newspaper should have a bit more range and not prompt you to skip his pieces because you're already familiar with the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Sindo is the biggest pile of garbage to masquerade as a serious newspaper in this country. They ran what amounted to a campaign of harassment against John Hume, you had this pillock and Eoghan Harris rimming Bertie every week. Terry Keanes Keane edge which she didn't even write as it turned out. Nowadays it's just obsessed with Z list celebrities.

Biggest selling paper in the country, dude. Would have been no fan of the hatchet job they did on Hume over the years, but it’s obviously a newspaper that people like to buy.

It’s probably a little bit too lowbrow for the intellectuals around here, but it represents the views of Mark and Mary Middle Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Brendan O'Connor came out with this infamous article in 2007, f*cking idiot!

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-26307728.html

To be fair, he was singing that as part of a pretty big choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gemma

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    Harris basically has one story: "Sinn Fein are bad m'kay?" which get's pulled into all kinds of other topics that he's pretending to address.

Not that there's anything wrong with thinking bad of SF, but someone in national newspaper should have a bit more range and not prompt you to skip his pieces because you're already familiar with the content.

Harris, Gene ‘One Rant’ Kerrigan, the former editor Fanning and a few others were former members of the OIRA/Workers Party. They despised the PIRA and SF since the very early 70’s. See also: Charlie Bird, Marian Finnucan, David Davin Power etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Tommy gormless rte news is the worse for me OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

The Sunday Independent used to be bought after Mass every week. I railed against this, because even then I thought it was a right leaning kisser of rich people's ass. I suspect its far worse now. Just go look at the Irish Independent front page on the web, half the headlines are about some famous person's pregnancy. I wanted to enclose the word famous above, in quotes, but I saw someone getting in trouble for it. ":D:D:D". So, just assume they're there.

Gene Kerrigan walks past my gate occasionally, and often was I tempted to tell him that only for his column, the paper would have been burned at the earliest opportunity. But I didn't want him to think I was one of those looneys who has to share his opinion with everyone on the street.

So now I do it on boards :pac:

Whoops, afterthought - I used to* read the Indo's political correspondent's column. I think its useful to read all political correspondents, for a mix of (usually) considered views.

*won't pay for it, have a sub to the IT instead, where I can self flagellate whilst reading Fintan and Una' latest diatribe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Very easy

Mary Ellen Synon

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

pat kenny his show is one long wokey leftie orgasm.

Pat’s a good FG man. He certainly has a liberal and progressive outlook but he’s no leftie. He’s also a top class radio broadcaster- maybe the finest of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

he is a leftie he spews their dogma day in day out i regularly tweet in and never read out as i would be off centre right in my thinking he is a cnut

Patrick Kenny is in no way, shape, or form a leftie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

George Lee.

he is a leftie he spews their dogma day in day out i regularly tweet in and never read out as i would be off centre right in my thinking he is a cnut

Can’t imagine why he wouldn’t read out your tweets, dude......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭hawley

Kristy Blake Knox of the Independent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A sizeable proportion of the opinions in this thread are complete and absolute nonsense. Contradictions, a lack of understanding of the political spectrum, what a journalist is, ignorant rejections of a person's general leanings and inclinations/image rather than their specific articles, prose or investigative prowess. Boards, you've done it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

The worst journalists are the ones whose writing I disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

How has Nicola Tallant, Sunday World Crime Expert, not been mentioned yet?

Some of her articles seem like nothing more than fiction.

Also Louise McSharry's Adele weight loss article is beyond brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Gemma o Doherty if she counts??

Not anymore :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pretty much the entire staff at the indo, it's become very tabloidish of late, I wonder how many actually pay for its premium service, not many I suspect.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gemma o Doherty if she counts??

She could make it in the Irish Independent.

WHO CAN'T MAKE IT IN THE IRISH INDEPENDENT!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

How has Nicola Tallant, Sunday World Crime Expert, not been mentioned yet?

Some of her articles seem like nothing more than fiction.

Also Louise McSharry's Adele weight loss article is beyond brutal.

Dont think anyone considers the Sunday World anything other than the Gerry Hutch Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I quite like Barry Egan's work to be honest. It's not like he's a hard hitting gonzo journalist or anything. He's a gossip columnist, and I think he does that with the wit and levity that is required. I get the feeling Egan's tongue is firmly in his cheek as he writes what he writes.

Not sure if serious or not but I'll bite anyway. This is possibly the worst thing I've ever read on this site. Wit? Levity? On top of the embarrassing subject matter of "articles," his actual writing is appalling. The man is a complete ****ing imbecile.

All my other usual suspects have already been named but I particularly loathe Sarah-Jane Murphy. Her Twitter account is a procession of fictitious, fanciful, embellished stories to the extent that I saw a mental health post from her retweeted the other day and I (somewhat guiltily) just assumed it was yet another attention seeking pile of tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

She could make it in the Irish Independent.

WHO CAN'T MAKE IT IN THE IRISH INDEPENDENT!?

Didnt she work for them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement