Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Another pic of the N4. I can't remember if I was looking north or south.

It is looking North based on hills in the distance (and direction of the sun)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

scooby77 wrote: »
    Of course it goes back to old chestnut of building a bypass through the town in 1st place (so not really a bypass!)
    Every time I go to Donegal, I fly along the fantastic dual carriageway only to come to a dead stop at the first of six sets of traffic lights, and I shake my fist in anger at the (clouds*) morons who didn't put in a proper bypass because the usual transport planning geniuses (local businesses who have no transport planning expertise) demanded that it be this way.

I also fire a curse or two at the gobsh1tes who didn't put in a GSJ at the Collooney junction (the R290 one), and who insisted at putting a roundabout in beside Summerhill college (Junction S4), when it was not necessary.

* Simpsons reference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

serfboard wrote: »
    Every time I go to Donegal, I fly along the fantastic dual carriageway only to come to a dead stop at the first of six sets of traffic lights, and I shake my fist in anger at the (clouds*) morons who didn't put in a proper bypass because the usual transport planning geniuses (local businesses who have no transport planning expertise) demanded that it be this way.

I also fire a curse or two at the gobsh1tes who didn't put in a GSJ at the Collooney junction (the R290 one), and who insisted at putting a roundabout in beside Summerhill college (Junction S4), when it was not necessary.

* Simpsons reference

The roundabout id imagine is to slow down traffic on approach to the hill and estates nearby

But yes how the fk does Sligo not have an actual bypass. Ots madness that it doesn't even get discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

dakar wrote: »
    It should improve the traffic flow when it’s done, it was a fairly tedious junction layout beforehand with the N4, N15, N16 and local Rosses Point traffic converging at a cobbled together mishmash of junctions.

The roadworks are clogging the whole flow of traffic northbound along the mid block route as two lanes merge into one just south of Hughes’ Bridge and do seem to be taking a very long time.

Full description here:
    https://www.sligococo.ie/N4-N15/
    I don't understand why they didn't do this project back when they working on Hughes bridge a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The roundabout id imagine is to slow down traffic on approach to the hill and estates nearby

But yes how the fk does Sligo not have an actual bypass. Ots madness that it doesn't even get discussed

It does occasionally get discussed but like most major infrastructure for the NW it's permanently on the back burner :rolleyes:

To be fair this scheme will be a huge improvement but it's just one of many schemes badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Fairly sure there was a study done by the NRA during the Celtic Tiger that resulted in 3 proposed routes being identified for a western bypass.

Think that there's difficulties in that they have to try and avoid impacting on Carrowmore, Gibraltar Point and Carton Marsh due to various protected designations

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

More attention has been given recently to trying to get local traffic off the 'relief road' - the extra bridge and the distributor road to the West - than to a full bypass. Its basically not reappeared since the financial crisis.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Flythrough from September 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Is that a bi-directional cycle path immediately east of the eastern parallel link? Is it built as Type 3 SC like recent national secondaries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yes, it most likely is: all new 2+2 roads must now incorporate a segregated pedestrian and cycle-way along the alignment, either beside the one of the main carriageways (separated by a barrier), or on a parallel road nearby.

Looks to be 3 m wide, which is the "desired minimum" for a shared, two-way bike+pedestrian path on a route with expected low volumes of pedestrians and/or cyclists.

I don't even ride a bike, but I think this requirement is one of the best ideas in a long time, as it eventually will create a national cycle-way network that will not just open up large parts of the country to cycle tourism, but also make it safer to use a bike in rural areas (thinking specifically of kids going to/from school). The benefits for pedestrians are good too: anything's better than using the hard shoulder with only a few dashes of yellow paint between you and high-speed traffic...

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    Yes, it most likely is: all new 2+2 roads must now incorporate a segregated pedestrian and cycle-way along the alignment, either beside the one of the main carriageways (separated by a barrier), or on a parallel road nearby.

I wasn't aware that this was a requirement for 2+2s. Is a similar track being provided alongside the new 2+2 road or elsewhere, couldn't see any evidence of it in the video? Are such tracks also being provided as part of the N5 and N22 projects?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that this was a requirement for 2+2s. Is a similar track being provided alongside the new 2+2 road or elsewhere, couldn't see any evidence of it in the video? Are such tracks also being provided as part of the N5 and N22 projects?

This presentation, Slide 10, says they're mandatory on 2+2 projects.
    https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferences_and_seminars/nrc/nra-nrc-2019/12-Eoin-Doyle-Arup-Presentation.pdf

As for the other projects, I don't know. It depends on when the cycleways became mandatory - earlier builds may be excluded. Also, it seems to be possible to get away with it if a proper cycle route is created on the bypassed road.

This presentation, Slide 10, says they're mandatory on 2+2 projects.
    https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferences_and_seminars/nrc/nra-nrc-2019/12-Eoin-Doyle-Arup-Presentation.pdf

As for the other projects, I don't know. It depends on when the cycleways became mandatory - earlier builds may be excluded. Also, it seems to be possible to get away with it if a proper cycle route is created on the bypassed road.

I would have thought that the N4 scheme was earlier (given it started earlier) and therefore would be less likely to have the pedestrian/cyclist requirement than the others mentioned.

Interestingly, that presentation talks about Expressway being introduced as an identity for 2+2 with its own signage, etc. from page 29, as was discussed in another thread.

Yes, the discussion in that thread was prompted by the presentation.

A pedestrian/cycle route has to be provided on new projects, but sometimes that may be on the old, bypassed, route - but as I understand it, this requires special dispensation. The preferred approach is to build a pedestrian and/or cycle path within the project corridor itself.

The long delays between projects getting planning and actually starting to build means that some "later" projects may not have the same requirements as "ealier" ones. If N22 does have a dedicated cycle lane, the project PR people have never mentioned it...

That's a very clear and interesting presentation. Thanks for posting.

That's a very clear and interesting presentation. Thanks for posting.

It certainly is interesting, but thanks go to marno21 for posting it originally on another thread.

I think this 2+2 road type finally offers a really cost-effective way of finally getting the cross-country routes sorted.

Truth is, we have very few primary routes that carry enough traffic to warrant a full motorway (i.e., at least an average of 25,000 vehicles per day), but once you get off the inter-urban motorways, there's a huge drop in road standards with lots of pretty dangerous single-carriageways. Replacing with 2+2 will make these safer and faster to use without the waste of money of a motorway-standard road for routes that would carry 10,000 vehicles a day at their busiest.

Im all for the cycling idea, but won't the increased land grab required slow down potential projects which were previously near shovel ready

If a project is shovel-ready, it gets built to the design standard that was in place when it got planning. This is for new projects going to planning.

The land-take for a 2+2 on its own is only slightly larger than a wide ("Type 1") single carriageway. The pedestrian/cycle provision wouldn't add much to this: a 3 m strip added to the verge, but it is also allowed to be provided by upgrading a suitable route close to the corridor, which means no extra land is needed.

The higher pedestrian safety for the local people who would occasionally walk/cycle on the route makes this type a net benefit to people who live near the mainline (unlike a motorway, which is a pretty bad deal if you live near the mainline, far from any junction), and should actually help with getting it through planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

If a project is shovel-ready, it gets built to the design standard that was in place when it got planning. This is for new projects going to planning.

The land-take for a 2+2 on its own is only slightly larger than a wide ("Type 1") single carriageway. The pedestrian/cycle provision wouldn't add much to this: a 3 m strip added to the verge, but it is also allowed to be provided by upgrading a suitable route close to the corridor, which means no extra land is needed.

The higher pedestrian safety for the local people who would occasionally walk/cycle on the route makes this type a net benefit to people who live near the mainline (unlike a motorway, which is a pretty bad deal if you live near the mainline, far from any junction), and should actually help with getting it through planning.

I would hope the 'backup' strategy of adjacent roads would be used only somewhere they have to make a major cutting or something where cycling in the cutting would be quite unpleasant anyway.

• Advertisement

I would hope the 'backup' strategy of adjacent roads would be used only somewhere they have to make a major cutting or something where cycling in the cutting would be quite unpleasant anyway.
    Has anyone ever seen people cycling in these cycle lanes though?

On the only ones of these (2+2 with pedestrian/cycle lanes) that I'm familiar with - the Castleisland and Tralee bypasses - I've never seen anyone cycle on them.

I've seen cyclists on the road though. :mad:

Has anyone ever seen people cycling in these cycle lanes though?

On the only ones of these (2+2 with pedestrian/cycle lanes) that I'm familiar with - the Castleisland and Tralee bypasses - I've never seen anyone cycle on them.

I've seen cyclists on the road though. :mad:

Perfectly legally entitled to be on any road that isn't a motorway AFAIK.

I am unsure how heavily used the current routes are, many of the 'safe' cycling routes either are not safely linked together (for long distance routes) or don't take anyone where they want to go, is there a good cycleway from the Castleisland bypass to the town centre along all the radials? Or the same in Tralee?

The people who will cycle on the road and those who will use protected cycleways are two entirely different demographics, I can guarantee that those using the bypass cycleway will be those intimidated by no/poor cycling provision along the radial routes.

Orbital traffic is always going to be less than radial traffic anyway (This applies across all/most modes?) and the Bicycle/Pedestrian is more suited for shorter journeys, so a cycling bypass of a town is going to be less used than a public transport/car bypass. As far as I know neither of those bypasses are connected well to a safe national cycle network so you won't get those longer distance cyclists either, this new section is on an interurban so it would be part of such a network.

To put it another way, the Galway ring road is incredibly busy, end to end traffic (M6 to N59) on it though is fairly low? The number of cars on it would therefore be very low if you closed all the junctions between both points (essentially what is happening to a non road confident cyclist with the Tralee and Castleisland cycleways)

Perfectly legally entitled to be on any road that isn't a motorway AFAIK.
    Legal? Yes. Dangerous AF? Absolutely. When I'm appointed the MinisterDictator for Transport, cyclists will be banned from all dual carriageways - it's simply too unsafe.
    Orbital traffic is always going to be less than radial traffic anyway ... so a cycling bypass of a town is going to be less used than a public transport/car bypass.
    Indeed - but having going to the trouble of putting in a cycle lane on a bypss, the cyclists won't use it! So what's the point?

And in most cases, there were existing routes in place before the bypass was built, so it's not as if the cyclists don't have a by-now quieter alternative.

And just to clear where I'm coming from, as you'll be aware from my other postings, I'm 100% in favour of segregated cycle lanes and spaces, such as Greenways, for cycling. Build spaces for cyclists and get them off the (busy) roads - for their own safety.

But if cyclists are not going to use these cycle lanes beside 2+2s, what's the point in building them?

If what you mean by 'backup' strategy is a ped/cycle route not alongside the 2+2 being built but instead along another road or canal/disused rail line, then I think that should be the primary strategy with alongside the 2+2 being the fallback position. Walking/cycling alongside four lanes of high speed traffic is not very attractive. If the ped/cycle route can be provided elsewhere, it would in most cases make for a better route. Alongside the now bypassed road would certainly be preferable as that road will see less and slower moving traffic and likely better link the local population.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Legal? Yes. Dangerous AF? Absolutely. When I'm appointed the MinisterDictator for Transport, cyclists will be banned from all dual carriageways - it's simply too unsafe.

Indeed - but having going to the trouble of putting in a cycle lane on a bypss, the cyclists won't use it! So what's the point?

And in most cases, there were existing routes in place before the bypass was built, so it's not as if the cyclists don't have a by-now quieter alternative.

And just to clear where I'm coming from, as you'll be aware from my other postings, I'm 100% in favour of segregated cycle lanes and spaces, such as Greenways, for cycling. Build spaces for cyclists and get them off the (busy) roads - for their own safety.

But if cyclists are not going to use these cycle lanes beside 2+2s, what's the point in building them?
    Absolute nonsense. The segregated paths on the Tralee and Castleisland bypasses are perfect for pedestrians but are not very useful for cycling on (unless very slowly) due to being two-way shared paths of very limited width.

Grand for children and nervous cyclists who are willing to yield to pedestrians where necessary but most cyclists are better off on the mainline where they can be very easily passed out. The vast majority of roads are not the preserve of motorised vehicles.

Quackster wrote: »
    most cyclists are better off on the mainline where they can be
    killed or seriously injured.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ironically enough, cyclist injuries are pretty rare on these roads, as cars are usually quite a distance away.

Local, narrow roads though? Those are pretty unsafe for cyclists.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

On a 100kph road that's safer than 100kph single-carriageways? I don't think so and the evidence wouldn't support it either.

The pedestrian/cycle paths on the Castleisland and Tralee bypasses were not part of the original designs but were retrofitted after the fact. Therefore they had to be squeezed into the predetermined land-take and are deficient in width as a consequence.

So you really think cyclists should be forced onto these deficient paths where they'd create an additional hazard for pedestrians?

I walk the Tralee bypass fairly regularly and come across the odd cyclist (usually kids) moving at a leisurely pace which is fine. If the path were suddenly inundated by cyclists racing along, I wouldn't be able to walk it any more.

Quackster wrote: »
    On a 100kph road that's safer than 100kph single-carriageways? I don't think so and the evidence wouldn't support it either.

The pedestrian/cycle paths on the Castleisland and Tralee bypasses were not part of the original designs but were retrofitted after the fact. Therefore they had to be squeezed into the predetermined land-take and are deficient in width as a consequence.

So you really think cyclists should be forced onto these deficient paths where they'd create an additional hazard for pedestrians?

I walk the Tralee bypass fairly regularly and come across the odd cyclist (usually kids) moving at a leisurely pace which is fine. If the path were suddenly inundated by cyclists racing along, I wouldn't be able to walk it any more.

And as I said before, we are talking about two very different types of cyclist, show me the satisfactorily quiet link roads/designated protected cycle paths that the 'slow' cyclist is confident to ride on linking to these routes, if they don't exist the road will be used only by road confident cyclists who will get there on the not fit for all cycling purpose roads, and shockingly, want to cycle on the road.

Regarding the use of 'alternative' routes, I would definitely be in favour of the segregated route being applied alongside the old road it supersedes, my fear would be that they will designate the old road as a 'designated cycle route' throw up some bike signposts and call it a day, with the route being entirely unsuitable for bikes.

• Advertisement

This road be8ng built is a radial route though.

So you may get a few commuters if colloney to sligo got sorted too.

Trailer bypass and R136 Dublin outer road are all circular ones that have feck all uptake for same reason.

Advertisement