Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

markpb wrote: »
    +1

Tesla replaced my rear tyres recently during a routine service and I got the fronts done by TyreLand a few days later. Tesla charged over €100 extra per tyre for exactly the same type!

Yeah that's about par for the course. A local tyre fitter (40 per hour + VAT) works quicker than a Tesla mechanic (130 per hour + VAT) and Tesla will want at least twice the markup on the tyre, that probably costs them more to source
    When it comes time for new tyres, I’ll order them on Openeo, and get my local place to fit them at €15 per tyre....

Aye. First research what tyre you want, then find them online for the cheapest price delivered and then get local tyre fitter to fit. I think I paid €15 per corner the last few years too, used to be just €10 but it now includes a recycling fee too I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A guy in Belfast was quoted £716 for 2 tyres from Tesla!!!!

When it comes time for new tyres, I’ll order them on Openeo, and get my local place to fit them at €15 per tyre....

Normal story for main dealers.

I always buy from camskill using a vat number to get the vat off and then get fitted locally.

unkel wrote: »
    Any link for that Mad_Lad? Surely you were not making that all up right as you were posting it just now? :p

I doubt there is any mention of auto pilot of full self driving in any Irish law, but I can imagine if you get caught with a device that bypassed the nagging and you're asleep on the back seat you might be done for something like driving without due care and attention / dangerous driving

I thought E.U law is the result of having to have your hand on the wheel ? and why teslas can't do automatic lane changes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

I thought E.U law is the result of having to have your hand on the wheel ? and why teslas can't do automatic lane changes ?

Those regulations come from UN-ECE. They apply to manufacturers, not drivers so I suspect they’re in the homologation regulations that make a car legal or not in the EU rather than being transposed into national legislation. There’s probably a reference somewhere in Irish law to vehicles being legal if they have a valid certificate of conformance.

As unkel said, a driver not properly supervising a car under AP/FSD would be charged with driving without due car and attention or something similar,

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Tesla a very efficient powertrain
    https://electrek.co/2020/10/28/tesla-model-3-2021-epa-rating-efficiency-supremacy/

And for a bit of balance and probably a lot of us thought besides waymo's ring fenced geo mapping there was nothing else out there besides teslas offering

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/gms-super-cruise-tops-teslas-autopilot-in-consumer-reports-testing.html?__source=androidappshare

looks like gm's cruise will work on 200km of americas roads.

lets see

teslas fsd at 10k is a lot. some competition would surely force them to reduce the price

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I always buy from camskill using a vat number to get the vat off and then get fitted locally.

You have disclosed your car and your white collar profession many times on this forum as well as your reg. Assuming the tyres (“always”) are for this car then you may want to think a little harder is it worth it as there are serious consequences for what you are doing. And if you want to continue with the risk keep it to yourself.......

Camskills record your VAT number and all eu countries share this type data between themselves(specific returns for eu exports). Revenue have access to records to state that vat number xx imported tyres, next step is the owner of this vat number should disclose as an import on their vat return (and if necessary pay the private element). Revenues expectation is that these tyres are being used wholly and exclusively for a business purpose so if they find out they are not they will obviously get suspicious of what else is going on and can extend the scope of their investigations to a full scale audit of all taxes

Of course if all is above board them as a mod you should consider explaining yourself better rather than giving posters false hope

And for a bit of balance and probably a lot of us thought besides waymo's ring fenced geo mapping there was nothing else out there besides teslas offering

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/gms-super-cruise-tops-teslas-autopilot-in-consumer-reports-testing.html?__source=androidappshare

looks like gm's cruise will work on 200km of americas roads.

Cruise is very good, but don't let a summary report like that fool you. Cruise is geo fenced with mapped roads, everything pre-defined. Autopilot works anywhere in principal as it is based on computer vision. This is a far superior approach - if it turns out that it can be safe enough (big if, bit of a gamble, the geo fencing approach is safer, but far inferior from an AI point of view)

Also I reckon points were given in that survey for driver monitoring. AP doesn't do any of that (apart from steering wheel holding), so the AP score is artificially low (and nothing to do with the actual self driving performance of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

MCU 2 upgrade FM radio is launching with a $500 price.

https://electrek.co/2020/10/28/tesla-brings-back-radio-infotainment-retrofit/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For those with the Premium Sound I recommend Leftfield's Leftism 22nd Anniversary edition, really demos the depth of the sound setup.
    Flac file format of course...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

And of course switch your Dolby off!!!

I'll get that now, slave1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Probably the greatest electronic music album of all time. I have it on CD, as well as Vinyl.

A Benchmark in electronic music.

24 years later still sounds as fresh as ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

slave1 wrote: »
    For those with the Premium Sound I recommend Leftfield's Leftism 22nd Anniversary edition, really demos the depth of the sound setup.
    Flac file format of course...

masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Just got stopped at the Garda checkpoint on the M11 before Bray. Yes I was on an essential trip. Garda says at the end: Nice car.
    Despite a load of birdshot that got dropped on it this week!

PS: Listening to that album now. And no I don’t have premium sound :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

garo wrote: »
    Nice car.
    Despite a load of birdshot that got dropped on it this week!

Pheasant season doesn't start until Sunday, were you passing a clay pigeon ground??

:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Kramer wrote: »
    Pheasant season doesn't start until Sunday, were you passing a clay pigeon ground??

:p.

:D Typing on the phone. It hates the word **** for some reason.

So I'm in the process of getting quotes for a Solar PV install, and one of the subjects that comes up is using the Solar PV to charge the car, and whether its feasible or not in my situation... I would hate to lose any generated electricity up to the grid for nothing (at least until we have a Feed In Tarif in Ireland anyway).

Now I know that given my limited roof space (probably 7 panels max), I'd be only looking at about a 2.1kW system (if using standard panels), but that I could get up to a 3.8kW system if I had the 540w panels installed (which I'm leaning towards), which is all good, and thus could mean there 'could' be excess available to put into the car if/when generating at full capacity... (I'm aware that there is a minimum kW value that needs to be there before a smart charger (Zappi) will start sending current to the car, something like 1.2kW?).

I have a Tesla Wall Connector, which is not compatible with using solar PV to charge the car, which is fine as I knew this was the case when purchasing the Wall Connector.

Whats to say if/when I have Solar PV installed and up and running, and if I was generating in excess of what I was using.. so lets say I'm generating ~3.5kW, but only using ~2.3kW, and if I know or can predict that that'll be the case for a 3-4 hour period of good sunshine, I could just plug the car in, and reduce the amps down to 5 (which works out around 1kW), meaning I'd be putting that additional 1 kW into the car as opposed to giving it away for free...

I know this would require additional monitoring, but it should work shouldn't it?? (and avoid me having to replace my Wall Connector with a Zappi or equivalent Solar PV compatible charge unit). There might also be some moments when you might be pulling some of that 1kW from the grid at the higher day time rate, but it would be minimal at best (4 hours charging at 1kW - difference between day & night rate works out at €0.33 more expensive if all 4kW comes from the grid, but lets say 80% of that 4kW is solar, then I'd only be buying €0.06 from the grid at day rate).

So by reducing the charge rate to 5 amps, I could technically use a Tesla Wall Connector to charge the car via Solar PV, just as long as I had a spare 1kW of generated solar that the house wasn't using right??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So I'm in the process of getting quotes for a Solar PV install, and one of the subjects that comes up is using the Solar PV to charge the car, and whether its feasible or not in my situation... I would hate to lose any generated electricity up to the grid for nothing (at least until we have a Feed In Tarif in Ireland anyway).

Now I know that given my limited roof space (probably 7 panels max), I'd be only looking at about a 2.1kW system (if using standard panels), but that I could get up to a 3.8kW system if I had the 540w panels installed (which I'm leaning towards), which is all good, and thus could mean there 'could' be excess available to put into the car if/when generating at full capacity... (I'm aware that there is a minimum kW value that needs to be there before a smart charger (Zappi) will start sending current to the car, something like 1.2kW?).

I have a Tesla Wall Connector, which is not compatible with using solar PV to charge the car, which is fine as I knew this was the case when purchasing the Wall Connector.

Whats to say if/when I have Solar PV installed and up and running, and if I was generating in excess of what I was using.. so lets say I'm generating ~3.5kW, but only using ~2.3kW, and if I know or can predict that that'll be the case for a 3-4 hour period of good sunshine, I could just plug the car in, and reduce the amps down to 5 (which works out around 1kW), meaning I'd be putting that additional 1 kW into the car as opposed to giving it away for free...

I know this would require additional monitoring, but it should work shouldn't it?? (and avoid me having to replace my Wall Connector with a Zappi or equivalent Solar PV compatible charge unit). There might also be some moments when you might be pulling some of that 1kW from the grid at the higher day time rate, but it would be minimal at best (4 hours charging at 1kW - difference between day & night rate works out at €0.33 more expensive if all 4kW comes from the grid, but lets say 80% of that 4kW is solar, then I'd only be buying €0.06 from the grid at day rate).

So by reducing the charge rate to 5 amps, I could technically use a Tesla Wall Connector to charge the car via Solar PV, just as long as I had a spare 1kW of generated solar that the house wasn't using right??

Are the 540w panels much bigger than the normal 340w panels? In which case you’ll get less panels?

I’m putting 340w panels on my rear roof and they are slightly bigger than the 300w panels I have on the front.

Also, the cost to change into a zappi will never be recuperated in my opinion. But I agree, it’s not all about the money. It’s waste not want not. And if you want to send excess to EV then you need the biggest possible array you can get in order to achieve the 1.4/1.2kw that the car needs to get the charge started.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would you not just get home storage?
    When we move this is the first thing I'll be looking at. Solar PV and storage of 15-20kWh minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nothing in theory wrong with anything you've said there Andy but I suspect you will find it harder to manually manage that process than you think. It would need to be a blue skies day to make it worth it as you could easily turn it on and then find the overall gain is close to zero because a cloud rolled in or the oven was turned on for the dinner or worse again it has actually cost you money and you've also used up your personal time to manage it.

That is really why the Zappi exists.... its fully automated. Selling the wall connector and buying a second hand Zappi might be a better option but no harm in trying your process and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Only 22.6% of the hours in a year in Dublin are 'sunny'. Realistically, you need to work on the output of panels when it's cloudy, not their theoretical peak.

• Advertisement

... or just add storage. Solar refills the battery, and you refill the car and or power the house from the battery. Changing the kW of solar into kWh of energy makes it more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    ... or just add storage. Solar refills the battery, and you refill the car and or power the house from the battery. Changing the kW of solar into kWh of energy makes it more stable.

The economics are the issue there, even more so for Andy who will have a relatively small array.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Are the 540w panels much bigger than the normal 340w panels? In which case you’ll get less panels?

Yes, they are bigger, so there goes that idea.....

ELM327 wrote: »
    Would you not just get home storage?
    When we move this is the first thing I'll be looking at. Solar PV and storage of 15-20kWh minimum.

We'd love to, but as you say, we'd want a fairly big size... 20kWh would do us for 3 full days (daytime rate), meaning charging every 3 days, and thus increasing the length of time before teh battery cycle usefulness limit is reached.

Would love a Tesla battery, but have heard that they are not grid compatible in Ireland??

KCross wrote: »
    The economics are the issue there, even more so for Andy who will have a relatively small array.
    Do it right or dont bother IMO.
    No point spending money on solar when most all of it is going to waste without FIT.

(NB: If you have a very old meter, with the dials, it's claimed that the meter rolls back when you send energy to the grid)

We'd love to, but as you say, we'd want a fairly big size... 20kWh would do us for 3 full days (daytime rate), meaning charging every 3 days, and thus increasing the length of time before teh battery cycle usefulness limit is reached.

Would love a Tesla battery, but have heard that they are not grid compatible in Ireland??

They are not allowed by esb networks. They would work fine but esb are working off an antiquated standard that is long off the books elsewhere (including GB).

KCross wrote: »

I think I'll be limited to ~2kW array, meaning there'll never be a hope of putting anything into a battery or the car..

at best I'd say I'll reduce my daytime usage a little (which is roundly 7.1kWh per day (day rate period).

If you have 2kW peak you'll probably have about 1kW across the middle of the day incoming. Probably enough to balance out the usage and nothing left over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Been there and done that, I went for 410w panels, they are big, 2m X1m.
    Have 10 SSW and 8 NNE.
    Think you need 1.4Kw minimum to feed the EV from the Zappi2 which does all the work so no need to mess with amps in car.
    From what I can gather we've reached the end of being able to charge our EVs with excess solar, next chance is March I'd assume

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Now I know that given my limited roof space (probably 7 panels max), I'd be only looking at about a 2.1kW system (if using standard panels), but that I could get up to a 3.8kW system if I had the 540w panels installed (which I'm leaning towards)

Any link to those 540W panels?

There is not a hope they would be the same size as a standard panel. Simply not possible. The current standard of the latest panels is about 21% efficiency, or about 200wp per square meter of panel, or roughly 320W for a standard size 165*99cm panel. Any higher wattage panel is simply bigger than that.

Advertisement