Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So, you know how Trump wanted his disciples to go act as 'poll watchers'? Well, here's some of these very fine people 'watching' a drive-in voter in Los Angeles:

When Trump calls for “poll watchers,” this is what he wants.

https://twitter.com/ajayrochester/status/1320148950398038016?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

enno99 wrote: »
    But thats not the case a poster said 600,000 watching a broadcast is not indicitave of the population
    but a couple of hundred from polls are ?
    The democrat attendees were there even before the election campaign really kicked in

I'm sorry, but this is such a dumb post. I think it's fair to call it that as you seem to be wilfully ignoring reality rather than it being unintentional ignorance.

High quality polls have well-chosen samples that are representative of the demographics of the district, state, or country they're polling. They are well calibrated to accurately reflect the opinions of the population. And they all signal a margin of error to indicate the uncertainties of this scientific process.

Why you think this is worth comparing to a livestream audience is completely beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Overheal wrote: »
    Sure in 2016 I was there in Greenville SC when Bernie filled a stadium. Doesn't mean the state became a Communist regime, either.

Bernie a communist

A joint effort by former Vice President Joe Biden and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders to unify Democrats around Biden's candidacy has produced a 110-page policy wish list to recommend to the party's presumptive presidential nominee.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/08/889189235/democratic-task-forces-deliver-biden-a-blueprint-for-a-progressive-presidency?t=1603895510231

Wonder how much influence he will have over Biden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭McFly85

But thats not the case a poster said 600,000 watching a broadcast is not indicitave of the population
    The democrat attendees were there even before the election campaign really kicked in

Yes. Polls are statistically managed to take information from a broad range of the electorate to try and generate a representative figure.

600k views on a livestream can’t be used to prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is such a dumb post. I think it's fair to call it that as you seem to be wilfully ignoring reality rather than it being unintentional ignorance.

High quality polls have well-chosen samples that are representative of the demographics of the district, state, or country they're polling. They are well calibrated to accurately reflect the opinions of the population. And they all signal a margin of error to indicate the uncertainties of this scientific process.

Why you think this is worth comparing to a livestream audience is completely beyond me.

How did they do in 2016 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

within the margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Graham wrote: »
    This has been mentioned so so many times at this stage.
    Plus poll companies have changed their practices to account for the so called shy trump voters

They did pretty well actually — the final polling average on 538 in 2016 had Clinton ahead by 3.7% in the popular vote. She won the popular vote by 2.1%. Margin of error in these things is usually around 3%, so that's a tiny error in the grand scheme of things.

On average in the 2016 in critical swing states like PA, WI, and MI, the polling averages were off by less 3%.

Let's look at the current state of these races in 2020:
    * WI — Biden ahead by 8.3%
    * PA — Biden ahead by 5.1%
    * MI — Biden ahead by 7.4%

Even if the polls were off by the same amount and direction as in 2016, Biden still wins all three states.

Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee that a polling error this year would favour Trump. In 2012, the polls underestimated Obama by about 3% nationally too. Here's a handy reminder from the New York Times:

530916.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Not to mention that when you look at the state polls for Michigan, Wisconsin, and largely for Pennsylvania, Biden's lead generally exceeds the MoE - rather narrower when it comes to North Carolina, Georgia and Iowa, but then all those are states that the Dems would only win if they're already over 270.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Biden to win Texas still available at 11/4!

I think Beto O'Rourke has been begging the campaign to show up in TX. His team have done a lot of work on the ground and need a senior presence. I'd prefer to see Joe go, but Kamala's visit should help invogorate Beto and his team...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Graham wrote: »

##Mod Note##

No one liners please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Some low quality posts have been deleted. A user has been banned and another carded. Please post constructively, civilly and do not dump links here. Thanks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I think Beto O'Rourke has been begging the campaign to show up in TX. His team have done a lot of work on the ground and need a senior presence. I'd prefer to see Joe go, but Kamala's visit should help invogorate Beto and his team...

It's probably more about the down-ballot at this stage, but it also puts Trump's campaign on the defensive in a supposedly safe red state.

538's polling average has ticked down to +8.5 Biden this morning, although the incoming polls are still in the 8-11 point range.

The forecast was also briefly up to 89-11 but has gone back to 88-12 now. I'd wonder if they'd be reluctant to ever upgrade Biden to "Strongly Favoured"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Apparently, another complaint was that they hadn't invested enough in Spanish-language advertising in Texas, but that this has changed in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

It's probably more about the down-ballot at this stage, but it also puts Trump's campaign on the defensive in a supposedly safe red state.

538's polling average has ticked down to +8.5 Biden this morning, although the incoming polls are still in the 8-11 point range.

The forecast was also briefly up to 89-11 but has gone back to 88-12 now. I'd wonder if they'd be reluctant to ever upgrade Biden to "Strongly Favoured"

The economist is up to 96% after the removal of some partisan polls. https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

DK224 wrote: »
    Biden to win Texas still available at 11/4!

I see Paddy Power thinks differently... He has Biden at 2/5 and Trump at 15/8

EDIT: I just put a tenner on Trump. So, if he does win TX, it'll pay for the bottle of Black Bush I'll need to drown my sorrows...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For Texas?!

You'll get the 11/4 on Biden winning Texas on BetFred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

EDIT: I just put a tenner on Trump. So, if he does win TX, it'll pay for the bottle of Black Bush I'll need to drown my sorrows...

Were you reading it backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

accensi0n wrote: »
    Were you reading it backwards?

I think Tom is looking at the outright odds there.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    For Texas?!

Ooops! I misread that! No, those odds were on the presidency!

Ooops! I misread that! No, those odds were on the presidency!
    So now it's official Tom has backed Trump for President!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Betfair still have 1/7 odds on Biden winning the popular vote, which seems insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

droidus wrote: »
    Betfair still have 1/7 odds on Biden winning the popular vote, which seems insane.

538 say 96% chance Biden wins popular vote, 94% gets above 50% of vote, 28% he wins by double digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,297 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Does that mean you win 1e for every 7e you bet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The economist is up to 96% after the removal of some partisan polls. https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

How accurate was this in 2016?

Will we likely have a winner by Wed morning or is it possible we have to wait for all postal votes to come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yes. Polls are chosen to be a selection of the population. A trump rally is fairly obviously biased towards certain segments of the population.

A rally and a poll are two very different things and should not be compared.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Correct and despite the Democrats having a healthy majority in the house , the GOP actually lead 26-24 in a state by state count.

So the dozens of Democrat House reps from California are worthless here , they get 1 vote , exactly the same as Liz Chaney does as the sole House rep from Wyoming.

Would Liz vote for Trump though?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement