Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you believe that the linked video is real?

On balance, given O'Keefe's involvement, No.

He has previous.
    A deceptive video released on Sunday by the conservative activist James O’Keefe, which claimed through unidentified sources and with no verifiable evidence that Representative Ilhan Omar’s campaign had collected ballots illegally, was probably part of a coordinated disinformation effort, according to researchers at Stanford University and the University of Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

looksee wrote: »
    It seems unlikely that they could/would intervene in those circumstances?

Well, Alito, Thomas and Gorsuch said that the Court MAY re-visit the case after the election... They wanted the case re-heard immediately..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

He has previous.

He has a lot more previous than that including criminal convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Tippex wrote: »
    I feel a little bit dirty Pete agreeing with you on this ;)

Well, I called the Russia-Collusion accusations to amount to be the nonsense it undoubtedly was, the Impeachment nothing burger to come to just that, nothing, and that the Steele Dossier was in fact used in the FISA court when it was claimed that it wasn't. I'll soon be proven right on Flynn and also on Trump's reelection. So don't feel dirty agreeing with me, Tippex. Feel assured ;)
    100% something should be done about it. The crazy thing is that it seems to be both sides are in on this. I always said politics is a dirty game.

Well, the woman in question released a statement and is claiming that she knew they were up to no good and went along with it so she could expose them. Interesting defense. Guess we'll soon find out if she's telling the truth or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

O'Keefe is a well known fraud hence why no serious media gives him the time of day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

He has previous.

Indeed! Lots and lots of previous!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/29/project-veritas-how-fake-news-prize-went-to-rightwing-group-beloved-by-trump

As others have said, IF the allegations are true and backed up by evidence, then any/all involved in breaking the law should be indicted and prosecuted. If found guilty, then they should incur whatever penaties are warranted under the law.

However, given the extremely close proximity of O'Keeffe to Don Junior, Eric Prince and a host of Trump agents, I wouldn't give it an ounce of credibility absent a rigorous investigation by appropriate authorities. I think the Governor has asked the AG to investigate. Although, given that the Governor is Abbott, who is a leading contender for the Most Blatant Voter Suppression Award 2020, I would be very doubtful of anything coming out of that particular Administration. Now if the FBI got involved, I'd be far more willing to accept the outcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

briany wrote: »
    Prominent American pollster Frank Luntz has been on Larry King's show saying that if the polls are wrong on this election, then the polling business is 'done'. Seems hyperbolic to me if he means that in a total way - the polling wasn't exactly wrong the last time around, but the analysis was off the mark. Generally public sentiment didn't seem to be correctly gauged. If you go back to the 2012 election, that thing was pretty close in most nationwide polls, and Hillary's apparent lead in the polls over Trump was never really less than Obama's over Romney, so this is probably where a big error laid.

But Luntz could be right in the sense that a certain group of people would never listen to polls again if Trump does win and go further down the rabbithole of not trusting expert opinion on anything.

Iirc 2012 had a decent sized polling error as well. However since it was in favour of the favourite most people didn't notice and assumed the polls were correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

He has previous.
    TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Indeed! Lots and lots of previous!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/29/project-veritas-how-fake-news-prize-went-to-rightwing-group-beloved-by-trump

As others have said, IF the allegations are true and backed up by evidence, then any/all involved in breaking the law should be indicted and prosecuted. If found guilty, then they should incur whatever penaties are warranted under the law.

However, given the extremely close proximity of O'Keeffe to Don Junior, Eric Prince and a host of Trump agents, I wouldn't give it an ounce of credibility absent a rigorous investigation by appropriate authorities. I think the Governor has asked the AG to investigate. Although, given that the Governor is Abbott, who is a leading contender for the Most Blatant Voter Suppression Award 2020, I would be very doubtful of anything coming out of that particular Administration. Now if the FBI got involved, I'd be far more willing to accept the outcome!

I have not even bothered looking at the video because it is O'Keefe. What IS likely to come out is that O'Keefe has attempted to induce someone to commit a crime and that person led him on and has already reported the incident to the Police as has already happened several times before in O'Keefe's "journalistic career" leading to a number of successful lawsuits against him and a criminal conviction.

Even the most right wing news networks and newspapers will not touch O'Keefe because they know that to do so would bankrupt them. He is a criminal, a liar and has received money from the Trump campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,754 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

“Pre impeachment of Joe Biden”

From the folks that brought you ‘this impeachment is a sham because the Democrats wanted to do it too early’

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-juan-williams-mic-drop-moment-after-greg-gutfeld-suggests-gop-start-pre-emptive-impeachment-on-biden/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭McFly85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Nice the way there's so many useful idiots around to propogate all the nonsense these days.

Also good of the misinformists to put it in video form - attention spans and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

briany wrote: »
    Prominent American pollster Frank Luntz has been on Larry King's show saying that if the polls are wrong on this election, then the polling business is 'done'. Seems hyperbolic to me if he means that in a total way - the polling wasn't exactly wrong the last time around, but the analysis was off the mark. Generally public sentiment didn't seem to be correctly gauged. If you go back to the 2012 election, that thing was pretty close in most nationwide polls, and Hillary's apparent lead in the polls over Trump was never really less than Obama's over Romney, so this is probably where a big error laid.

But Luntz could be right in the sense that a certain group of people would never listen to polls again if Trump does win and go further down the rabbithole of not trusting expert opinion on anything.

In what world are pollsters "experts"? lol

You're reaching quite a bit there tbh.

Polling is part art form and part social science. A lot of the results you get, are down to the art of conversation... asking the right questions to the right people in the right manner. And doing it all with perfect timing too.

Then you've got unconscious bias that every single human being is subject to.

I think part of the problem with polls in recent years, is that there is a growing gap in what many people think privately and what they are prepared to admit publicly. When the media shame people for holding alternative viewpoints, you get a sizeable disconnect between these two positions.

So perhaps it's not necessarily the polls that are badly wrong, but rather that the ability of people to be completely open and honest about their opinions is starting to get eroded by at times very one-sided public discourse on certain issues.

I think the polling industry is not actually that important anyway. Only roughly 2% of Americans are now responding to pollsters currently... so that would suggest that the public simply doesn't see much value in this medium anymore. And without greater participation, it is almost impossible to get an accurate representative sample of the population. 2% is nowhere near enough to get a truly random sample... it's very likely that you are polling many of the same types of people over and over again. A certain subsection/demographic who like to engage with a medium that 98% of people don't really see much value in anymore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I think part of the problem with polls in recent years, is that there is a growing gap in what many people think privately and what they are prepared to admit publicly. When the media shame people for holding alternative viewpoints, you get a sizeable disconnect between these two positions.

The data just doesn't support your hypothesis.

Taking a quick look at the results of FiveThirtyEight's 2018 Midterm Forecasts where the results of 506 races were forecast, here's how they did against the final results:

All Races Lite Forecast 95% Correct (92% expected)
    All Races Classic Forecast 96% Correct (93% expected)
    All Races Deluxe Forecast 97% Correct (expected 94%)

If you have data that supports the shy-voter/pollee theory, it would be great if you could link to it. Without it, it would be just as easy to suggest there are significant numbers of registered Republicans who are actually shy-Biden voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Overheal wrote: »
    “Pre impeachment of Joe Biden”

From the folks that brought you ‘this impeachment is a sham because the Democrats wanted to do it too early’

https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch-juan-williams-mic-drop-moment-after-greg-gutfeld-suggests-gop-start-pre-emptive-impeachment-on-biden/

See how he laughed as he said it. See how the other goons on the panel also laughed?

That's what people do when they are joking around. They laugh. Not everything is to be taken literally

Graham wrote: »
    The data just doesn't support your hypothesis.

Taking a quick look at the results of FiveThirtyEight's 2018 Midterm Forecasts where the results of 506 races were forecast, here's how they did against the final results:

All Races Lite Forecast 95% Correct (92% expected)
    All Races Classic Forecast 96% Correct (93% expected)
    All Races Deluxe Forecast 97% Correct (expected 94%)

If you have data that supports the shy-voter/pollee theory, it would be great if you could link to it. Without it, it would be just as easy to suggest there are significant numbers of registered Republicans who are actually shy-Biden voters.

The very nature of a "shy voter" is that they are highly resistant to being captured in your traditional metrics. They don't wish to engage with your analysis, and so are for all intents and purposes invisible in many statistical models.

If roughly 98% of people are not engaging with something like opinion polls, then you have a potentially giant blind spot. And you can't really accurately put these people into definitive categories, other than being "non-respondent/non-compliant" individuals.

If you had a blind spot that big while driving a truck or bus, you would be running over a huge amount of people without ever knowing they were even there! ;)

Many Trump voters are basically ghosts... you don't know they exist, until they cast their vote. And then many will just go back to being ghosts again afterwards. The exit polls in 2016 seemed to show this too, as they were predicting a very strong Clinton win at certain points. So it wasn't just the polling prior to the vote that got it wrong... even afterwards they were still getting highly inaccurate forecasts.

The very nature of a "shy voter" is that they are highly resistant to being captured in your traditional metrics. They don't wish to engage with your analysis, and so are for all intents and purposes invisible in many statistical models.

It would appear the shy voters in the midterms were so shy they didn't actually turnout to vote.

What supports your shy voter theory given there's zero evidence that they actually exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Pollsters were quite accurate in the 2016 election, within the margin of error.

Do you think they have not improved or refined their analysis in the last 4 years? Surely they have an incentive to do so considering it's their reputation on the line.

Perhaps this notion of a large segment of society being a "shy voter" comes from the hope that there are many others out there who support outdated views on sexuality, race or religion who don't like when those views are held up to scrutiny?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If roughly 98% of people are not engaging with something like opinion polls, then you have a potentially giant blind spot. And you can't really accurately put these people into definitive categories, other than being "non-respondent/non-compliant" individuals.

If you had a blind spot that big while driving a truck or bus, you would be running over a huge amount of people without ever knowing they were even there! ;)

Many Trump voters are basically ghosts... you don't know they exist, until they cast their vote. And then many will just go back to being ghosts again afterwards. The exit polls in 2016 seemed to show this too, as they were predicting a very strong Clinton win at certain points. So it wasn't just the polling prior to the vote that got it wrong... even afterwards they were still getting highly inaccurate forecasts.

Other than thoughts and feelings, have you any documentation to back this 'shy voter' theory up or are you just parroting buzzwords

• Registered Users Posts: 21,136 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 'shy' voter might in fact be the suppression of the Dem vote by GOP tactics.
    Have they any way of identifying which it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's truly remarkable and repugnant the extent to which the GOP will go to stop people from voting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

See how he laughed as he said it. See how the other goons on the panel also laughed?

That's what people do when they are joking around. They laugh. Not everything is to be taken literally

Another, it's a joke, it's a joke. I was just kidding around. So by your logic if I say anything about any subject or anyone and laugh; so long as someone else laughs, that means it's ok and I didn't mean it? We are at the level of the school yard bully defence here.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pollsters were quite accurate in the 2016 election, within the margin of error.

Do you think they have not improved or refined their analysis in the last 4 years? Surely they have an incentive to do so considering it's their reputation on the line.

Clinton had an 87% of winning the election a week out, and 71% chance of winning the day before according to the polls... so basically the overwhelming favourite to win. Which was hugely inaccurate.

With 4 years of publicly bashing Trump and anyone who dares to back him, it's very natural to expect that many of these people will go even deeper underground with their views/opinions than 4 years ago.

Also, something simple that is very often overlooked... the nationwide polls are fairly useless predictors of the outcome of an election. Even if accurate, they predict the popular vote. Blue dominant areas of the country, can and very likely will become even more entrenched in their views... so this adds millions of extra support to Biden, without necessarily giving him any greater % chance of victory overall...

In the red states, and even many of the swing states, there is huge anecdotal evidence on the ground that support for Trump has actually increased rather than decreasing. And this anecdotal evidence, which was largely dismissed 4 years ago, very often proved to be a more accurate predictor of the outcome than the polls.

But of course this irks many people, because it's not particularly scientific... but not everything in life is scientific or easily quantified.

Even just look at the opinion poll in the CA forum... overwhelmingly in favour of a Trump victory. Despite the fact that the comment section of that thread is dominated by very vocal anti-trump rhetoric. Of course this will be casually dismissed by many as just being down to re-regs... but there is no way of proving this definitively... it is very plausible that there is a silent majority backing Trump even on this site (Not that everyone backing a trump win is necessarily pro-trump of course - but many could be)... However, the silent minority are very vocal, because it is more socially acceptable to publicly take the anti-trump stance.

Even myself... I'm very vocally pro-trump on this site. But other than among my family and closest friends, I do not give my opinions freely out in public. Because I'm smart enough to know that it might bring some unwanted and wholly unnecessary criticism. Most people simply do not want that hassle in their daily lives.

If 98% of people are "poll shy"... that's a potentially huge blind spot. If that many people can be poll shy, then plenty of people can potentially be shy in many other ways. Again, very plausible.

I'm sure the pollsters will be trying very hard to refine their approach... but I wouldn't be staking much on their ability to get it right in this election cycle. They may get a handle on these populist type movements eventually... but not in the immediate future. I think we are going to see huge discrepancies between the mainstream polls, and the outcome of this election. (That's if they don't deliberately tighten them before the final count in order to save their reputation)

But it will hopefully open up discussion on many aspects of how we vote and how we form opinions in society... the polling industry itself, is less of a concern to me personally. I think it's shining an important light on certain aspects of our society... but whether or not traditional polling survives... frankly, it's a bit of a side issue. (imho) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Another, it's a joke, it's a joke. I was just kidding around. So by your logic if I say anything about any subject or anyone and laugh; so long as someone else laughs, that means it's ok and I didn't mean it? We are at the level of the school yard bully defence here.

I don't know how to respond this without belittling you so il just say yes ok you are right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Project Veritas exposing 2020 Election voter fraud:

I think it's safe to say that any Breaking News from any of the following Twitter accounts can be safely ignored as propaganda at this point:
    • realDonaldTrump
    • POTUS
    • FoxNews
    • DonaldJTrumpJr
    • PressSec
    • wikileaks
    • seanhannity
    • EricTrump
    • IngrahamAngle
    • KellyannePolls
    • BillOReilly
    • marklevinshow
    • JudgeJeanine
    • TeamTrump
    • TomiLahren
    • benshapiro
    • dbongino
    • AnnCoulter
    • charliekirk11
    • DiamondandSilk
    • DanScavino
    • SebGorka
    • TuckerCarlson
    • DineshDSouza
    • kayleighmcenany
    • TrumpWarRoom
    • DailyCaller
    • RealCandaceO
    • RealJamesWoods
    • BreitbartNews
    • scrowder
    • w_terrence
    • OANN
    • RudyGiuliani
    • hodgetwins
    • ScottAdamsSays
    • GenFlynn
    • JackPosobiec
    • prageru
    • Cernovich
    • Qanon76
    • MrAndyNgo
    • JamesOKeefeIII
    • Project_Veritas
    • PrisonPlanet
    • Lauren_Southern

• Registered Users Posts: 21,136 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Economist are giving Biden a 96% chance of winning the EC at this point:
    https://projects.economist.com/us-2020-forecast/president

The midpoint in their range of analysis is Biden 356, Trump 182.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Clinton had an 87% of winning the election a week out, and 71% chance of winning the day before according to the polls... so basically the overwhelming favourite to win. Which was hugely inaccurate.

This is incorrect and also misleading — on November 1st 2016, Clinton had a 71.2% chance of winning according to 538. On November 6th 2016, she was at 64.9%. On election day, November 8th, that ticked back up to 71.4%, but polls in the last couple of days are very susceptible to herding, so it's never wise to look at any that are that close to the election.

Beyond that, you're conflating what the polls say with what forecast models calculated based on those polls. Let's look at the actual polls. Here's the set of national results:

531002.png

Noting that the margin of error on national polls is around 3-5 points, and the fact that Clinton indeed won the popular vote by 2 points, none of these results are outside the margin of error!

What was a more critical problem was the poor weighting of voter education caused errors in polling in PA (Forecast Clinton +3.2, Result Trump +0.7), MI (Forecast Clinton +4.2, Result Trump +0.2), and WI (Forecast Clinton +5.3, Result Trump +0.77). These are the states that swung the election for Trump. Only the Wisconsin forecast is outside the margin of error.

There's a sound reason why margins of error exist, and why they're so important for people to understand when they're looking at polls and forecasts. But the polling errors didn't come from shy voters, they came from the pollsters not weighting by education — something most of them have corrected this time around.

This is also why polling averages and forecast models are so much more useful than individual polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Anyone else just have no faith in the American people to do the right thing anymore?

Also I think many people will lie to pollsters, and intend to vote for Trump.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shelga wrote: »
    Anyone else just have no faith in the American people to do the right thing anymore?

Also I think many people will lie to pollsters, and intend to vote for Trump.

I don't think there's much in the way of silent Trump voters - they're usually loud and proud on the issue.

Same happened here when people were sure there were many shy No voters in the SSM and Repeal referendums, but there weren't.

Clinton had an 87% of winning the election a week out, and 71% chance of winning the day before according to the polls... so basically the overwhelming favourite to win.

Or Trump had an almost 1/3 chance of winning particularly as the polls tightened closed to election day.

That doesn't appear to be happening this time, the polls aren't tightening.

There's zero evidence of the hypothesised ghost trump voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It was not hugely inaccurate.

Trump just pulled off an unlikely win, like rolling a 7 with a pair of dice. It happens.

That doesn't mean he could do it again if conditions were the same. This is a common error people make when looking at probabilities. My horse won at 10-1 odds last time, so he will beat the favourite this time too.

Does not follow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement