Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AO Competition announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

JG2019 wrote: »
    How have the people who have been placed since Covid/working from home found starting during such a weird time? What’s the training like? I’m starting in two weeks and getting a bit nervous about staring a brand new job from home in a pandemic!

My first day tomorrow, due to work remotely full time. Not too nervous about it but I'm sure there'll be a fair bit of self-directed learning required in the next few weeks. Looking forward to learning something new. Can give you an update in a week or two! Don't be nervous - you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

Likewise. Just about to start. Working from home full time from the foreseeable. Feels odd. Mixture of nervous and excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

frenchman wrote: »
    Likewise. Just about to start. Working from home full time from the foreseeable. Feels odd. Mixture of nervous and excited.

On y va!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

MrsBean wrote: »
    My first day tomorrow, due to work remotely full time. Not too nervous about it but I'm sure there'll be a fair bit of self-directed learning required in the next few weeks. Looking forward to learning something new. Can give you an update in a week or two! Don't be nervous - you'll be fine!

how did you get on?

any idea what OOM were reached on these panels, specifically general?
    Would imagine there will be another in next month or so

• Advertisement

how did you get on?

Overwhelmed on the first day but slowly starting to click together in my head now. Will still be a steep learning curve made slightly more difficult by remote working, but unit has good procedures docs and great communication over Skype etc.
    Exhausted every night! I guess it's my brain trying to piece together all this new unconnected data. Happy with the role though and think it will be good experience for me.

As for the OOM I was in the mid 30s and placed in July. I'd say maybe they've reached the mid 40s? That's a total guess on my part.

Overwhelmed on the first day but slowly starting to click together in my head now. Will still be a steep learning curve made slightly more difficult by remote working, but unit has good procedures docs and great communication over Skype etc.
    Exhausted every night! I guess it's my brain trying to piece together all this new unconnected data. Happy with the role though and think it will be good experience for me.

As for the OOM I was in the mid 30s and placed in July. I'd say maybe they've reached the mid 40s? That's a total guess on my part.

Congrats and glad to hear it's going well. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thechaseison

Hey Cheeseplant,

Just to let you know - I was in the 50s and have been placed too

Best of luck

On another note, does anyone know how often AOs get paid? Is it weekly, fortnightly or monthly?

Thanks

On another note, does anyone know how often AOs get paid? Is it weekly, fortnightly or monthly?

Thanks

Congrats and best of luck in your new job! AOs get paid fortnightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tricky@

One more batch of interviews coming up for the general stream at end of September....

Dear xxxxx

“Further to your application for the Administrative Officer 2019 competition, additional vacancies have arisen and it is intended to call forward one further batch to fill these.

The current vacancies for the above named competition will be based in Dublin only.

Please email xxxxx by 9am on Friday, 4th September 2020 if you wish to be considered and we will be in contact with you in due course.

Interviews are likely to take place end of September 2020 and you may be asked to complete a detailed application form (qualifications, work history etc.), if you have not already done so.

Please note that an expression of interest is not a guarantee that you will be called forward for interview.

Should we receive a large response, candidates will be invited forward to the next stage of the process based on their Stage 1 order of merit.

As you will appreciate, given the Covid19 situation, the Interview stage is to be undertaken utilizing remote video interviewing. The platform PAS will be using for the interviews is the Zoom remote video conferencing facility. Zoom is compatible on laptop and desktop computers with a webcam and it is also compatible with most mobile and tablet devices.”

out of curiosity, can you give a ball park as to your placing in Stage 1? I didn't get one of these emails :(
    tricky@ wrote: »
    One more batch of interviews coming up for the general stream at end of September....

Dear xxxxx

“Further to your application for the Administrative Officer 2019 competition, additional vacancies have arisen and it is intended to call forward one further batch to fill these.

The current vacancies for the above named competition will be based in Dublin only.

Please email xxxxx by 9am on Friday, 4th September 2020 if you wish to be considered and we will be in contact with you in due course.

Interviews are likely to take place end of September 2020 and you may be asked to complete a detailed application form (qualifications, work history etc.), if you have not already done so.

Please note that an expression of interest is not a guarantee that you will be called forward for interview.

Should we receive a large response, candidates will be invited forward to the next stage of the process based on their Stage 1 order of merit.

As you will appreciate, given the Covid19 situation, the Interview stage is to be undertaken utilizing remote video interviewing. The platform PAS will be using for the interviews is the Zoom remote video conferencing facility. Zoom is compatible on laptop and desktop computers with a webcam and it is also compatible with most mobile and tablet devices.”

out of curiosity, can you give a ball park as to your placing in Stage 1? I didn't get one of these emails :(

No problem, I was placed between 350-360 on the general stream after the tests.

tricky@ wrote: »
    No problem, I was placed between 350-360 on the general stream after the tests.

Well that explains it! I'm slightly out of that range :D
    Best of luck with the next stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sneats

Hi folks,

I'm expecting to interview on Friday. My AP was helping me with interview prep and he's nearly certain I missed a part in the initial application form or that I missed a more detailed form, in which the applicant would outline how they demonstrate ability in each competency.

I was certain I didnt miss anything and now I'm having doubts because apparently the interview board will be basing their questions off of this form where I've given examples demonstrating my ability at each competency.

Did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

- J

Sneats wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm expecting to interview on Friday. My AP was helping me with interview prep and he's nearly certain I missed a part in the initial application form or that I missed a more detailed form, in which the applicant would outline how they demonstrate ability in each competency.

I was certain I didnt miss anything and now I'm having doubts because apparently the interview board will be basing their questions off of this form where I've given examples demonstrating my ability at each competency.

Did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

- J

No, there often is a more detailed form but I think this time it was just a work and education history. PAS have been changing the level or detail they request in the initial forms. So it's up to you to cram in as much as you can at interview :) Best of luck!

I can also confirm that it’s just the education and work history form that we had to complete. I had the interview yesterday.
    Hi folks,

Did I miss something?

Thanks for your help.

- J

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sneats

No, there often is a more detailed form but I think this time it was just a work and education history. PAS have been changing the level or detail they request in the initial forms. So it's up to you to cram in as much as you can at interview :) Best of luck!

Thank you so much for replying. PAS confirmed what you've said above.

The interview was very chill and I wasnt as nervous as I thought would be. Sound folks on the board!

Cheers for the reply and best of luck yourself :)

Thank you so much for replying. PAS confirmed what you've said above.

The interview was very chill and I wasnt as nervous as I thought would be. Sound folks on the board!

Cheers for the reply and best of luck yourself :)

Wow that's great to hear! Hopefully you get good news soon. I've already been placed from this panel but thank you for the well wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Minifox

Wow that's great to hear! Hopefully you get good news soon. I've already been placed from this panel but thank you for the well wishes!

Well done, Sneats, and good luck to Mrs Bean. My own interview wasn't all that 'chilli but it could have been worse.
    Sneats, can I ask how long you had to wait after the interview before PAS contacted you?

• Advertisement

Minifox wrote: »
    Well done, Sneats, and good luck to Mrs Bean. My own interview wasn't all that 'chilli but it could have been worse.
    Sneats, can I ask how long you had to wait after the interview before PAS contacted you?

Sorry, other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Hello all; I'm doing the 2020 AO competition and was wondering if anyone here has their OOM and if you made it to interview as of yet/got placed/when you got placed.

Just so that myself and the others over in the 2020 thread know what kind of OOM should be aiming for? I realize recruitment here might be a bit behind due to COVID-19 but I'd like to get a rough ideal all the same.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Hello all; I'm doing the 2020 AO competition and was wondering if anyone here has their OOM and if you made it to interview as of yet/got placed/when you got placed.

Just so that myself and the others over in the 2020 thread know what kind of OOM should be aiming for? I realize recruitment here might be a bit behind due to COVID-19 but I'd like to get a rough ideal all the same.

Hey there, I don't think the 2019 timeline will give you a very accurate estimation as there were delays in my placement due to covid. But anyway here is a rough time line which I hope is of some help.

7th Oct 2019: Closing date
    11th - 14th Oct: Online testing window
    25th Oct: Test results out with initial OOM
    25th - 29th Oct: Window to submit a detailed application form

I received an initial OOM over just over 100 and was in Batch 2.

Batch 1 interviews took place mid Nov and I think results were out at the start of Dec. A friend received an OOM approx 30 from Batch 1 and was placed in Feb 2020.

Batch 2 interviews took place early Feb and results were out a week later. I received OOM in mid 30s and was placed in July. As far as I know once covid hit there was a pause on assignments from this comp, so had covid not appeared I may have been placed earlier in the summer. I say this only to help you with your own guessing of timelines :)

Batch 3 interviews Sept 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Anyone know what the story with the latest panel? Will they go through it before pulling from the 2020 comp?

Was wondering the same thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theboycaoimhs 83

Yeah wondering if anyone knows how many are on the 2019 panel now. I have my number for it after the last round of interviews and assessments but not sure will they reach me.

Hi all,

Does anyone how information on pay scales? I’m looking at circulars but they don’t make sense to me!

I started in the civil service in December 2019.. I think I read somewhere that I skip certain increment points, is that correct?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Hi all,

Does anyone how information on pay scales? I’m looking at circulars but they don’t make sense to me!

I started in the civil service in December 2019.. I think I read somewhere that I skip certain increment points, is that correct?

Thanks!

You skip points 4 and 8

https://www.forsa.ie/unions-secure-measures-to-resolve-public-service-new-entrants-pay-issue/

Administrative officer (PPC)
    33,053 – 35,546 – 36,257 – 39,378 – 43,372 – 46,412 – 49,454 – 52,505 – 55,547 – 58,578 – LSI 1 60,679 – LSI 2 62,776

https://www.forsa.ie/other-benefits/pay-and-conditions/pay-scales/civil-service-payscales/

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Hi all,

Thanks!

Serving civil servants will go to the nearest point on the AO scale up from their current salary. You will also receive one additional increment for promotion.

If you started since 2011 you will be skipping points 4 and 8. So for example, if the next point up from your salary is point 3, you will be starting on point 5 as 4 is skipped.

• Advertisement

Serving civil servants will go to the nearest point on the AO scale up from their current salary. You will also receive one additional increment for promotion.

*Unless you are moving from HEO to AO. This move is not deemed to be a promotion as they are "equivalent grades".

Advertisement