Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champions Cup 2020/2021 General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Once we get the season played I can get over any hangups I have about the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

It's as confusing as the UEFA Nations League, luckily it's only for one season. Video explanation here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

pjdarcy wrote: »
    It's as confusing as the UEFA Nations League, luckily it's only for one season. Video explanation here

Wouldn't be entirely sure about that, especially if the South African super rugby teams so end up joining the Pro12/14/16 or whatever number it'll be on.

Wouldn't be entirely sure about that, especially if the South African super rugby teams so end up joining the Pro12/14/16 or whatever number it'll be on.

A European Cup with South African teams included? It'll be just like the Eurovision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,709 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm highly confused ted

Ah sure look at least its something to look forward to for the winter months

Could we not just have a 1 leg QF

Good chance for a lot of teams of winning the challenge cup from this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The 2 leg QF looks a good idea on paper, but in reality it could lead to a huge amount of cynical time wasting and defensive tactics for the away team in both legs.

One issue is the current lack of Universal exemption for sports people across the jurisdictions Involved and the possibility of localised lockdowns affecting fixtures, but I’m sure the organisers are well aware and have planned accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The 2 leg QF looks a good idea on paper, but in reality it could lead to a huge amount of cynical time wasting and defensive tactics for the away team in both legs.

One issue is the current lack of Universal exemption for sports people across the jurisdictions Involved and the possibility of localised lockdowns affecting fixtures, but I’m sure the organisers are well aware and have planned accordingly.
    Have they said how it's going to work, Away tries or anything like that?

If it's a draw at the end of the second leg of the quarter final, extra time will be played. If it's still a draw after extra time the winner will be determined as follows:

a. the club that has scored the most tries over the two legs

b. if equal, a place kick competition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

extra time and if remains level at end of extra time team with most tries qualifies and if thats equal there will be a place kicking contest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Champions cup Draw is on today

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/10/27/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-heineken-champions-cup-pool-stage-draw-and-the-european-rugby-challenge-cup/

Qualified teams:

Tier 1: Leinster Rugby, Ulster Rugby, Bordeaux-Bègles, Lyon, Exeter Chiefs, Wasps

Tier 2: Edinburgh Rugby, Munster Rugby, Racing 92, RC Toulon, Bristol Bears, Bath Rugby,

Tier 3: Scarlets, Connacht Rugby, La Rochelle, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Sale Sharks, Harlequins

Tier 4: Glasgow Warriors, Dragons, Toulouse, Montpellier, Gloucester Rugby, Northampton Saints

Two groups of 12 with each group containing 3 teams from each tier (One from Pro 14, one from Gallagher Prem and one from Top 14)

4 teams qualify from each group

In the groups Tier 1 teams will play Tier 4 teams, Tier 2 teams will play Tier 3 teams

Each team will have 4 group games, two home, two away

Leinster are in Tier 1, so they will play Toulouse or Montpellier AND Gloucester Rugby or Northampton Saints,

You don't play teams from your own domestic league

From a Munster POV, we are in Tier 2, so we are looking to draw the weaker of the Tier 1 teams, the stronger of the Tier 4 teams, The Weaker Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams, but looking for a strong Tier 3 team from from the Pro14

IMO the best case scenario for Munster

Ulster
    Bordeaux
    Wasps
    Munster
    Toulon
    Bath
    Connacht
    La Rochelle
    Quins
    Dragons
    Toulouse
    Gloucester

• Advertisement

First world problem alert but the draw is a lot less exciting when you realise it's highly unlikely that travel to away games will be possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

First world problem alert but the draw is a lot less exciting when you realise it's highly unlikely that travel to away games will be possible.

Nor is travel to home games likely :(

A trip to Clermont would have been nice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

yerrahbah wrote: »

IMO the best case scenario for Munster

Ulster
    Bordeaux
    Wasps
    Munster
    Toulon
    Bath
    Connacht
    La Rochelle
    Quins
    Dragons
    Toulouse
    Gloucester

Best case scenario is to have the strongest possible Pro14 teams in your pool. Munster won't have to play them and they will take points from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

i am dizzy from trying to work that out :(

edit: I understood domestic league as the provinces first, but when you read it as ProXX it makes sense

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think this compeition will be a clusterfcuk of walk overs and different "bubble" and testing standards causing pre-game issues.

and that doesn't at all take the lack of meritocracy and convolutedness of the whole arrangement into account.

The competition will really only start at semi final level (home and away legs of knock out games is stupid in the extreme)

Buer wrote: »
    Best case scenario is to have the strongest possible Pro14 teams in your pool. Munster won't have to play them and they will take points from others.

Id rather have Ulster than Leinster as the Tier 1 team in my (Munsters) group

More of a chance of Ulster dropping points vs the Tier 4 teams and that increases the chances of Munster going through at Ulsters expense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Racing 92, RC Toulon, Bristol Bears, Bath Rugby.

Can't see Connacht winning any of those potential games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Id rather have Ulster than Leinster as the Tier 1 team in my (Munsters) group

More of a chance of Ulster dropping points vs the Tier 4 teams and that increases the chances of Munster going through at Ulsters expense

I was more thinking Connacht over Scarlets and Dragons over Glasgow.

Buer wrote: »
    I was more thinking Connacht over Scarlets and Dragons over Glasgow.

Fair enough,

I guess Connacht (the Cardiff game aside) have started the season well and not many teams will relish going to the sportsground on a wet November evening

Not much between Dragons and Glasgow for me, Glasgow aren't the team they used to be and the Dragons are putting together a decent side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Not much between Dragons and Glasgow for me, Glasgow aren't the team they used to be and the Dragons are putting together a decent side

I did think that about Dragons but after their heavy defeats to Leinster and Ulster I am having second thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

POOL A (with opponents in brackets)
    Bordeaux-Bègles (Dragons, Northampton Saints)
    Leinster Rugby (Montpellier, Northampton Saints)
    Wasps (Dragons, Montpellier)
    Bath Rugby (La Rochelle, Scarlets)
    Edinburgh Rugby (La Rochelle, Sale Sharks)
    RC Toulon (Sale Sharks, Scarlets)
    La Rochelle (Bath Rugby, Edinburgh Rugby)
    Sale Sharks (Edinburgh Rugby, RC Toulon)
    Scarlets (Bath Rugby, RC Toulon)
    Dragons (Bordeaux-Bègles, Wasps)
    Montpellier (Leinster Rugby, Wasps)
    Northampton Saints (Bordeaux-Bègles, Leinster Rugby)

POOL B (with opponents in brackets)
    Exeter Chiefs (Glasgow Warriors, Toulouse)
    Lyon (Glasgow Warriors, Gloucester Rugby)
    Ulster Rugby (Gloucester Rugby, Toulouse)
    Bristol Bears (ASM Clermont Auvergne, Connacht Rugby)
    Munster Rugby (ASM Clermont Auvergne, Harlequins)
    Racing 92 (Connacht Rugby, Harlequins)
    ASM Clermont Auvergne (Bristol Bears, Munster Rugby)
    Connacht Rugby (Bristol Bears, Racing 92)
    Harlequins (Munster Rugby, Racing 92)
    Glasgow Warriors (Exeter Chiefs, Lyon)
    Gloucester Rugby (Lyon, Ulster)
    Toulouse (Exeter Chiefs, Ulster Rugby)

Do you play the team in brackets twice?

Yup, home and away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yes. everyone plays 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

the games look fairly balanced in each group, cant really pick a team that has gotten an "easy ride"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭WhoamI2022

Leinster are ok. I think Montpellier had to sell off loads of squad after they got caught breaking salary cap? or am I wrong? Northampton took a nose dive after the Leinster games last season. Don't expect much them to beat Leinster home/away.

Ulster should beat Glou, maybe at home they can win v Toulouse.

Munster should beat Clermont at home, probably lose away. I would expect them to beat Quins home & away

Connacht just have nightmare draw, Bristol Bears are some outfit and Racing not too bad either. Pat Lam coming back is a bit of a story

Advertisement