Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 US Election

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yep, Trump put in a sterling performance, showing up Biden as entirely untrustworthy (a stuttering Joe, telling bare faced lies, in denial of cash from Ukraine), nevermind Hunter's dodgy dealings there also. All clearly reflected in the markets this morning, and something the public at large will easily see through. Shortening:

hWNhJUI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Trumps Russia/China conspiracy theories arent sticking and nobody could care less about the laptop story, its a bottle of smoke and Trump has told so many lies at this stage that people just dont believe him anymore.

This is the big issue that Trump doesn't seem to grasp. Not only do people automatically ignore any accusations he flings out but at this stage people also ignore anyone in his administration (Bill Barr, Pompeo, McEnany) or any media organisations who report in his favour (Fox News, OAN, The Federalist, Breitbart, The New York Post etc).

If he wants anything to stick to Biden it needs to come from a truly independent, trusted source. It's difficult to imagine now, but this time 4 years ago James Comey was all of that.

Frankly, at this stage, even if the FBI came out with a similar story about Biden now, I suspect that people would still vote for him as they're just sick of Trump and his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Trump out to 3 again on betfair.

Biden leading in Florida too. Without Florida Trump hasn't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I still think trump will win, but looks like he's going to drift further as no boost from debates and probably no suprises with the run in.

I still think trump will win, but looks like he's going to drift further as no boost from debates and probably no suprises with the run in.

Out of curiosity which of the swing states do you think he's going to win to get over the 270 electoral college votes?

You can play around with the map on this site if you don't know off the top of your head: https://www.270towin.com/

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity which of the swing states do you think he's going to win to get over the 270 electoral college votes?

You can play around with the map on this site if you don't know off the top of your head: https://www.270towin.com/

AZ,MI,WI,PA,NC 305/6-232 Trump wins.

Already give my reasons so not going drivel on but trumps ground game, inaccurate polls due to virus, voter registrations, people voting with there pockets- polls showing satisfaction with economy. Where biden needs to win votes climate change and reducing oil output will not help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id see Michigan and Wisconsin as wrapped up for Biden, he has heavy leads in both of them with Wisconsin at +10 and Michigan +9. I just cant see Trump overhauling that in the next 10 days. All the other swing states are closer than that but Biden is still leading in all of them. Biden has far more paths to victory so he doesnt need to win all of them whereas Trump needs most of them.

AZ,MI,WI,PA,NC 305/6-232 Trump wins.

Already give my reasons so not going drivel on but trumps ground game, inaccurate polls due to virus, voter registrations, people voting with there pockets- polls showing satisfaction with economy. Where biden needs to win votes climate change and reducing oil output will not help him.

Fair enough. I don't think Trump will win any of those states personally (with the possible exception of NC) but we'll agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Could be a glitch in the matrix, or someone may have sneezed near Joe, but Kammy is only 3-400 now, from 7-800 last night.

Tmq6ICb.png

Don't worry if you didn't get the BFE 500+, it's likely subject to more terms (voids) than regular markets.

e.g. ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market and seems to relate only to the majority of the projected Electoral College votes 3rd Nov.
    Whereas the B&M folks doing 150/1 have 'next pres' (Jan 20th) which may allow for a hot swap if for some strange reason Trump isn't triumphant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Does anyone know of any bookies giving odds on the swing states and furthermore does anyone have any idea which they are?

• Advertisement

PP have odds on some of the swing states but not all. Oddschecker will find you the others.

Scroll down the end of this page to see detail on them
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/iowa/

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any bookies giving odds on the swing states and furthermore does anyone have any idea which they are?

Haven't been following it much yet but Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Arizona and Texas are all close looking at polls.
    Trump in NH today. Who knows.

The ones showing Texas close are complete rubbish. It's only going to ramp up the clean sweep blue wave nonsense so Trump is probably going to well over 3 now. Also lots of early data coming in and looking good for Dems, haven't checked it but turnout in some areas could benefit them. Depends on how you read it so probably benefits both camps.

The ones showing Texas close are complete rubbish.

A Democrat hasn't won Texas since Jimmy Carter so I can understand the urge to dismiss these polls. However, think back to what happened with Trump in the rust belt 4 years ago. A lot of those states hadn't gone red since Ronald Regan and people dismissed late polls showing that the races there were tightening.

The most likely scenario is that Trump wins Texas but I wouldn't dismiss the likelihood of Biden winning it out of hand.

It would be a stunning upset were Biden to take Texas, even though a couple of polls showed him slightly in the lead there its hard to actually see it happening on the day. If it did happen then Trump is absolute toast regardless of what happens in Florida.

In any case it seems now Putin has turned against him, he came out yesterday and said that Bidens son did nothing wrong in Ukraine or Russia. Its a clear signal that Putin has given up on Trump winning this election. No.10 Downing Street are likewise, the foreign office there are scrambling to meet with Biden but he is rebuffing them, their plans for a post Brexit trade deal with Trump are in complete disarray

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/swing-states-what-key-battleground-2020-election-who-leading-polls/
    This Telegraph article identifies
    Arizona
    Florida
    Georgia
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    North Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Wisconsin

The rust belt trio of Pennsylvania, Michigan Wisconsin are drawing most attention; if Biden wins them all he is effectively home and hosed, and he has clear poll leads in all three

The price on Biden seems to have hit a point of resistance around the 1.5 mark. it doesn't tend to get too far above or below that. Hasn't reached either 1.45 or 1.55 in recent days.

The price on Biden seems to have hit a point of resistance around the 1.5 mark. it doesn't tend to get too far above or below that. Hasn't reached either 1.45 or 1.55 in recent days.

Yeah Trump's price has been hovering just below 2/1 for several days now. Not sure how these things work, but I wonder did the bookies set that as the limit, irrespective of polling and other evidence, to protect themselves in case of a repeat of 2016...

Only just realised that there is a set of Rules for the Betfair market:
    This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. In the event that no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the projected Electoral College votes, this market will be settled on the person chosen as President in accordance with the procedures set out by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Looks like it'll be settled pretty soon so, one way or the other

Obama: "This is the most important election of our lifetimes." Is it a law of American politics that somebody has to to say this every four years?

Yeah Trump's price has been hovering just below 2/1 for several days now. Not sure how these things work, but I wonder did the bookies set that as the limit, irrespective of polling and other evidence, to protect themselves in case of a repeat of 2016...

Yeah Id say thats exactly what is going on, they wont let Trumps odds go out further than 2/1. The Financial Times model is saying Biden has an 88% chance of victory so Trumps chances are far above 2/1 but the bookies arent going to offer realistic odds because of what happened in 2016. If you were brave enough to back Trump now you would want at least 4 or 5/1 but it wont be offered.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Id say thats exactly what is going on, they wont let Trumps odds go out further than 2/1. The Financial Times model is saying Biden has an 88% chance of victory so Trumps chances are far above 2/1 but the bookies arent going to offer realistic odds because of what happened in 2016. If you were brave enough to back Trump now you would want at least 4 or 5/1 but it wont be offered.

But isn't the flipside of that that Biden's odds are artificially long at round 1/2 for a candidate who is close to a dead cert? I suppose there's less of a risk in that for the bookies than letting Trump's odds reach their natural level a 5/1 or whatever and then having lightning strike twice on election night.

yeah would agree. I think even now a week out that Biden at 1/2 is good value, its a two horse race and he is in the lead in the final furlong and despite this people still have the opportunity to make a 50% profit on their stake. But no way is Trump good value at 2/1 right now when all things are weighed up, he is fighting desperately for his political life and its hard to see any turn around from what has gone before, even then its too late in the day now IMO.

Would imagine also that some bookies are limiting their exposure all the same by implementing maximum bets of 50 euro or 100. Id say the bookies themselves are afraid of lightning striking twice even though there hasnt been any great indication that it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Augme

Bookies odds are hugely influenced by the their liability. Bookies don't need to push out trump's odds to 4-1 because he is still getting backed at 2-1. Same for Biden. I think alot of people this time around are so sceptical of the pills due to last time that they aren't really betting based on the polls.

I can see a reverse of the situation that happened last time. Where biden absolutely romps home as expected by the polls but almost unexpected by the average Joe because they just didn't trust what the polls were saying.

When you take out bias and personal opinion and you look at the polls and the maths of it then 1/2 for Biden is an incredible price.

Augme wrote: »
    I can see a reverse of the situation that happened last time. Where biden absolutely romps home as expected by the polls but almost unexpected by the average Joe because they just didn't trust what the polls were saying.

Im thinking along the same lines myself, some of his leads in states are 8-10% but despite this a lot of people dont trust the polls and still think it is still a really close race. With Biden even competitive in a state like Texas we could be looking at a landslide here, especially if Florida falls to Biden where he has had a solid consistent lead for months now. On the state level if the polling is outside the margin of error of +/-3% and is consistently showing Biden far ahead then it is basically free money imo.

When you take out bias and personal opinion and you look at the polls and the maths of it then 1/2 for Biden is an incredible price.

Bingo

Bookies odds are hugely influenced by the their liability. Bookies don't need to push out trump's odds to 4-1 because he is still getting backed at 2-1.

It still seems strange to me that Trump's odds have been 'frozen' round 15/8 for several days. If this was a normal market, surely he would have drifted even a small bit as opinion poll and other evidence that he is a gonner piles up.

I don't buy the bookies are controlling the market narrative. People are driving those numbers. The shock of Trump's win in 2016 seems to have cast a spell over people were they see him as electorally invincible.

I've lost count of the number of people in my personal orbit who have told me that they expect Trump to win again. In some cases they are fans of his, in others they fear him getting re-elected. Even in this thread, numerous different users have shown up to say how they believe that Trump is going to win. The thread itself was started, in June, by someone who couldn't believe that Trump was the underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

The
    @BetfairExchange
    2020 US Election market has become the biggest betting event of all time, smashing the 2016 record of £199m. With 6 days to go, £200m has been wagered, which is more than the Super Bowl, Grand National, Mayweather vs McGregor and the 2018 WC final combined.

I have Biden backed myself at 1.66 am still surprised 1.5 is as low as he's gone given recent polls. Has to be down to skepticism from 2016 ? TX odds are the ones im still surprised at floating around 3.8-4 last 2 days with only one recent poll a positive for Trump giving him a 3+ point lead. IF polls are accurate texas looks very much like its a toss up

yeah but its not a normal market when the bookies are the ones setting the price, its take it or leave it. The exchanges are more normal in that regard but even they arent reflecting value based on the statistical chances at this point in the race.

Its come out now that the Trump campaign are running on fumes and have to pull tv advertising money from Florida and will be leaving it to the RNC to spend their own money in the state. As to how enthused the RNC will be to throw millions at it remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Augme

It still seems strange to me that Trump's odds have been 'frozen' round 15/8 for several days. If this was a normal market, surely he would have drifted even a small bit as opinion poll and other evidence that he is a gonner piles up.

Why offer someone odds of 3-1 when they will place the same bet at 15/8? It doesn't make any financial sense for bookies to do that.

Advertisement