Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Of course not. Property is highly illiquid. But transactions are well down which doesn't bode well for the future direction of the property market.

As many have said here before, the only ones able to purchase are multinational employees and similar workers etc. who haven't been impacted by Covid-19.

Where are all these buyers if transactions are down. Plus there's only so many workers who aren't impacted that actually do require to purchase a home. The supply of these non-impacted covid-19 workers seeking to purchase a home is not unlimited.

Have a look at the income tax take it was not down throughout the virus meaning those who have been paying the majority of income tax, those on the average and above average salaries are still working. (not sure how many low wage employees who would be in a position to buy even without Covid) Transactions are down due to the amount of red tape and extra work the process takes to buy a house, (all the moving parts, from solicitors to surveyors, to EAs to bank employees) while living in a covid world. It would be great to get some data on the timeframes for a property selling between going sale agreed and sold. I also believe the translations completed are ramping back up over the last couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how the next 4 months go but I thought we would of seen a drop by now and this is not the case. Covid started in Feb its now the end of October that's 9 months. The crash in 08 is generally accepted that the Lehman Brothers hitting the wall in September signaled the spiral downwards with in 9 months of that event Irish property prices had plummeted and there was panic and prices were only going one way. We are 9 months since the event of Covid impacting us and prices have stayed flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

fliball123 wrote: »
    Have a look at the income tax take it was not down throughout the virus meaning those who have been paying the majority of income tax, those on the average and above average salaries are still working. (not sure how many low wage employees who would be in a position to buy even without Covid) Transactions are down due to the amount of red tape and extra work the process takes to buy a house, (all the moving parts, from solicitors to surveyors, to EAs to bank employees) while living in a covid world. It would be great to get some data on the timeframes for a property selling between going sale agreed and sold. I also believe the translations completed are ramping back up over the last couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how the next 4 months go but I thought we would of seen a drop by now and this is not the case. Covid started in Feb its now the end of October that's 9 months. The crash in 08 is generally accepted that the Lehman Brothers hitting the wall in September signaled the spiral downwards with in 9 months of that event Irish property prices had plummeted and there was panic and prices were only going one way. We are 9 months since the event of Covid impacting us and prices have stayed flat.

These are just some of the signals I would be looking at since January 2020:

Colony capital selling Irish real estate investments: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/colony-capital-appoints-eastdil-to-sell-stakes-in-prime-dublin-offices-1.4292785?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fcommercial-property%2Fcolony-capital-appoints-eastdil-to-sell-stakes-in-prime-dublin-offices-1.4292785

Aviva stops investors from taking money out of Irish property funds: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/aviva-stops-investors-from-taking-money-out-of-irish-property-funds-1.4157574?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fcommercial-property%2Faviva-stops-investors-from-taking-money-out-of-irish-property-funds-1.4157574#:~:text=Aviva%20Life%20%26%20Pensions%20Ireland%20moved,investor%20seeking%20their%20money%20back.

Blackstone tries to get out of Blanchardstown shopping centre: https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/blackstone-and-aib-in-standoff-over-blanchardstown-shopping-centre-debt-39463682.html

Pepper Money to cease new commercial lending: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0904/1163292-pepper-money-to-cease-new-commercial-lending/

Cullaun Capital with a loan book of €140M closed to new business: https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/09/23/in-foxrock-work-continues-on-apartments-after-the-developer-and-property-finance-company-close-down

Ires Reit to sell off €50m in assets after buoyant first half: https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/ires-reit-to-sell-off-50m-in-assets-after-buoyant-first-half-39432452.html

Properties available for rent in central Dublin up 71% on comparable period last year: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0417/1132149-rent-sale-property-ireland/

Glenveagh cuts prices on luxury properties in Dublin and Wicklow to accelerate sales: https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/glenveagh-cuts-prices-on-luxury-properties-in-dublin-and-wicklow-to-accelerate-sales-39513776.html

In other words, the big boys are looking to get out and as always, the small guys will be left holding the bag of proverbial.

In six months to a year, people will be saying "oh yea, I spotted all those signals too"...

These are just some of the signals I would be looking at since January 2020:

Colony capital selling Irish real estate investments: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...57498?mode=amp

Aviva stops investors from taking money out of Irish property funds: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...57574?mode=amp

Blackstone tries to get out of Blanchardstown shopping centre: https://m.independent.ie/business/ir...-39463682.html

Pepper Money to cease new commercial lending: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0904/1163292-pepper-money-to-cease-new-commercial-lending/

Cullaun Capital with a loan book of €140M closed to new business: https://www.dublininquirer.com/2020/09/23/in-foxrock-work-continues-on-apartments-after-the-developer-and-property-finance-company-close-down

Ires Reit to sell off €50m in assets after buoyant first half: https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/ires-reit-to-sell-off-50m-in-assets-after-buoyant-first-half-39432452.html

Properties available for rent in central Dublin up 71% on comparable period last year: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0417/1132149-rent-sale-property-ireland/

Glenveagh cuts prices on luxury properties in Dublin and Wicklow to accelerate sales: https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/glenveagh-cuts-prices-on-luxury-properties-in-dublin-and-wicklow-to-accelerate-sales-39513776.html

In other words, the big boys are looking to get out and as always, the small guys will be left holding the bag of proverbial.

In six months to a year, people will be saying "oh yea, I spotted all those signals too"...

Whatever the signals you have up here it has not happened yet. Like I say the above signals mean nothing. If the market had been following your so called signals we should of seen a drop of at least 10% 9 months into possibly the biggest global event of my life and yet it has not come to pass.

Reasons not signals for prices staying where they are as follows.

Supply dwindling on a daily/weekly basis add in new house builds have slowed down.

People who were paying the majority of the tax are still working are saving more due to working from home and will be able to buy.

We have a huge subset in society in the 25 - 50 who are most likely to buy (something you tried to mislead people with your out of date stats)

It now costs money to hold money in a bank and other investment opportunities such as shares are even more risky due to the current climate. As an investor the idea of being able to buy a house give it to the Irish government for 20+ years and make a safe ROI backed by the gov is a very attractive one in the current climate.

The government have just passed a budget that will keep money in peoples pockets for the next 12 months.

The Pfizer vaccine is nearly here and already countries/Continents like the US, and Europe have already subscribed to at least a billion orders of this vaccine. So we could be close to getting Corona under control it might take another 2 years to get it under control but like the flu jab it may be something someone can get once a year to keep Corona at bay.

So unless the Irish government go under and all the MNCs go away I cant see a drop in price for the next 12 months.

Whatever the signals you have up here it has not happened yet. Like I say the above signals mean nothing. If the market had been following your so called signals we should of seen a drop of at least 10% 9 months into possibly the biggest global event of my life and yet it has not come to pass.

Reasons not signals for prices staying where they are as follows.

Supply dwindling on a daily/weekly basis add in new house builds have slowed down.

People who were paying the majority of the tax are still working are saving more due to working from home and will be able to buy.

We have a huge subset in society in the 25 - 50 who are most likely to buy (something you tried to mislead people with your out of date stats)

It now costs money to hold money in a bank and other investment opportunities such as shares are even more risky due to the current climate. As an investor the idea of being able to buy a house give it to the Irish government for 20+ years and make a safe ROI backed by the gov is a very attractive one in the current climate.

The government have just passed a budget that will keep money in peoples pockets for the next 12 months.

The Pfizer vaccine is nearly here and already countries/Continents like the US, and Europe have already subscribed to at least a billion orders of this vaccine. So we could be close to getting Corona under control it might take another 2 years to get it under control but like the flu jab it may be something someone can get once a year to keep Corona at bay.

So unless the Irish government go under and all the MNCs go away I cant see a drop in price for the next 12 months.

All good points. It's the last one, although in jest, that may end up being a very accurate prophecy (maybe not in the next 12 months though) :)

All good points. It's the last one, although in jest, that may end up being a very accurate prophecy (maybe not in the next 12 months though) :)

Well we will have to wait and see. I honestly thought 6 months ago we would of seen a drop of 5 maybe 10% but it just hasnt happened and the points I made would make me believe that the drop will not happen for another 12 months..But god knows what will happen between now and then

• Advertisement

Well we will have to wait and see. I honestly thought 6 months ago we would of seen a drop of 5 maybe 10% but it just hasnt happened and the points I made would make me believe that the drop will not happen for another 12 months..But god knows what will happen between now and then

And that's why we're here. To look at the current data and we both take opposing views on what it's telling us about what's about to happen. Nothing wrong with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

But isn't that the definition of a 'forced sale' that many here have being saying is different this time i.e. prices can't drop much as there will be little forced sales to force a drop in values?

Another group selling are the pension funds e.g. Aviva and Zurich in Ireland blocked redemptions from their commercial property funds back in January (pre-covid) and are now selling several office buildings in Dublin in order to meet these redemption requests. These are only a few we know about.

So, the big investors are selling. The pension funds are selling. Who will buy them?

Yes you are right they blocked redemptions in January and most property funds in London were suspended till the end of January and during this time they built up liquidity to deal with any run on investor redemptions to prevent the funds from having to go into a fire sale of property to be able to pay investors redemptions.

Everyone knows that Commercial Real estate is impacted heavily and the assumptions the banks are working on is a 20% drop in value which they have already accounted for in half year provisions so to suggest that banks will go bust on the back of this is highly unlikely.

The other thing you need to considered is that pension funds need regular cash flow to pay pensions and with rates negative on government bonds they will invest in commercial real estate for the regular rent payments as this provides a strong yield compared to other investments at the moment. In short I don’t think Commercial real estate will totally collapse yes there will be loss on some investment which were undertaken at the peak but the majority are still providing a reasonable return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Of course not. Property is highly illiquid. But transactions are well down which doesn't bode well for the future direction of the property market.

As many have said here before, the only ones able to purchase are multinational employees and similar workers etc. who haven't been impacted by Covid-19.

Where are all these buyers if transactions are down. Plus there's only so many workers who aren't impacted that actually do require to purchase a home. The supply of these non-impacted covid-19 workers seeking to purchase a home is not unlimited.

If the majority thought there was a property crash coming they would be frantically trying to sell their property and exit. The fact transactions are down shows that this is not the case.

If the majority thought there was a property crash coming they would be frantically trying to sell their property and exit. The fact transactions are down shows that this is not the case.

Not just transactions but the actual level of supply should of gone right up instead it continues to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Huge amounts of homeowners already in negative equity especially in new build estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

dor843088 wrote: »
    Huge amounts of homeowners already in negative equity especially in new build estates.

What definition of 'negative equity' are you using, with a deposit &/or HTB there's very little change any homeowner in a new build estate is in negative equity.

That's the thing. 'The majority' generally don't realise what's going on until it's too late. But if you look at the signals e.g. Glenveagh very publicly reduced their prices last month. Many developers who did intend to sell have now reverted to renting or have kept them empty. Seems to be following the same playbook that I saw just before the last crash.

I think the primary difference this time is that many will hope to either sell or rent to the state. However, I don't think the state has the resources to soak up all the property that may be hoping to find a home with them over the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

I do not think we can say that we have had the covid event as of yet considering the government and central banks are still supporting the economy and markets. Until restrictions are eased and accompanying economic supports are wound down, the covid shock will be delayed.

In the quarter that everything is unfrozen we will start to see the fallout in the economy, which will only then start to affect the housing market, then a couple quarters later we will see the property market data. At this stage, best guess is Q2 2021 (April, 2021, at the start of the new tourism season) when the economy is unfrozen which means people are getting back to their jobs and will find out if they can still be paid the same amount / given the same number of hours, if they are even still needed by their company. The covid impact on housing would start to show in the quarterly reports after this (so Q3 reports onwards).

donnaille wrote: »
    What definition of 'negative equity' are you using, with a deposit &/or HTB there's very little change any homeowner in a new build estate is in negative equity.

Reselling these homes will not qualify for help to sell
    The house is no longer brand new
    The property market is significantly weaker than when most of these properties were bought.

Negative Equity

Reselling these homes will not qualify for help to sell
    The house is no longer brand new
    The property market is significantly weaker than when most of these properties were bought.

Negative Equity

Can you prove this? So by your calcs ..These houses have dropped by at least 10% (First time buyers deposit) + the 30k from the First time buyers scheme. Can you show me one property in this category?

I do not think we can say that we have had the covid event as of yet considering the government and central banks are still supporting the economy and markets. Until restrictions are eased and accompanying economic supports are wound down, the covid shock will be delayed.

In the quarter that everything is unfrozen we will start to see the fallout in the economy, which will only then start to affect the housing market, then a couple quarters later we will see the property market data. At this stage, best guess is Q2 2021 (April, 2021, at the start of the new tourism season) when the economy is unfrozen which means people are getting back to their jobs and will find out if they can still be paid the same amount / given the same number of hours, if they are even still needed by their company. The covid impact on housing would start to show in the quarterly reports after this (so Q3 reports onwards).

We may not have had the fallout yet but the event is definitely here just try and go to for a pint and you will see :) .. You could be right but I still think it is 12 months away due to the budget keeping money in peoples pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Reselling these homes will not qualify for help to sell - True
    The house is no longer brand new - True
    The property market is significantly weaker than when most of these properties were bought. - too early to tell, some of these properties were bought today/yesterday/last week

Negative Equity

Responses in the quoted text, but main thing to highlight - this isn't negative equity. Negative equity is when the mortgage on the property is greater than the value of the property.

Can you prove this? So by your calcs ..These houses have dropped by at least 10% (First time buyers deposit) + the 30k from the First time buyers scheme. Can you show me one property in this category?

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/glenveagh-cuts-prices-on-luxury-properties-in-dublin-and-wicklow-to-accelerate-sales-39513776.html

donnaille wrote: »
    Responses in the quoted text, but main thing to highlight - this isn't negative equity. Negative equity is when the mortgage on the property is greater than the value of the property.

I know all too well what negative equity is believe me. Buying a brand new home in a seriously weakening market with a help to sell grant that will not be there on resale ? This is basically how to get yourself into negative equity 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Shoden wrote: »
    Here's an interesting video on the subject just posted by Shane Fleming: https://youtu.be/H_rSohgB6JU

watched this thank you. Very interesting insights provided in what i thought was an objective manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I know all too well what negative equity is believe me. Buying a brand new home in a seriously weakening market with a help to sell grant that will not be there on resale ? This is basically how to get yourself into negative equity 101.

FTB competes with STB and other buyers, who are not eligible for HTB grants.
    It makes no sense that resale properties are 30K lower.
    If new house cost 330K, and resale price is 300K, I'm confident non-HTB grant buyers would choose the second one, no point to compete for same quality more expensive ones.

Marius34 wrote: »
    FTB competes with STB and other buyers, who are not eligible for HTB grants.
    It makes no sense that resale properties are 30K lower.
    If new house cost 330K, and resale price is 300K, I'm confident non-HTB grant buyers would choose the second one, no point to compete for same quality more expensive ones.

First time buyers are the overwhelming majority of buyers in new developments. In fact they are the majority of mortgages drawn down full stop. Buildings do not remain static in value they depreciate over time. The land beneath it on the other hand is different. All other things being equal a second hand house is worth less than a brand new one . And that's before you remove a 30k grant to buy the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Hubertj wrote: »
    watched this thank you. Very interesting insights provided in what i thought was an objective manner.

I am not sure i see this the same way, and I am all for decreases.

Looking at price changes seems flawed - most people and agents start ambitious with their asking price, so surely the natural tendency is for asking price changes on the whole to average out as a downward trend, even in a solid marketplace? I read nothing into a -2% reduction in asking price changes.

The very fact that there are still loads of properties still increasing their asking price is a bigger indicator to me that upward pressure remains. I would imagine asking price increases would reduce to practically zero in a bear enviroment.

To be fair, he does explain it is flawed after showing loads of them :D

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I am not sure i see this the same way, and I am all for decreases.

Looking at price changes seems flawed - most people and agents start ambitious with their asking price, so surely the natural tendency is for asking price changes on the whole to average out as a downward trend, even in a solid marketplace? I read nothing into a -2% reduction in asking price changes.

The very fact that there are still loads of properties still increasing their asking price is a bigger indicator to me that upward pressure remains. I would imagine asking price increases would reduce to practically zero in a bear enviroment.

To be fair, he does explain it is flawed after showing loads of them :D

yes thats what i meant. I thought he explained how "avergae prices" and "asking prices" are probably not the best metrics etc.
    Good to get some clarity after trying to understand some of the stuff that gets posted in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

First time buyers are the overwhelming majority of buyers in new developments. In fact they are the majority of mortgages drawn down full stop. Buildings do not remain static in value they depreciate over time. The land beneath it on the other hand is different. All other things being equal a second hand house is worth less than a brand new one . And that's before you remove a 30k grant to buy the new one.

No, it's only around half of New build sales goes to Help-to-Buy buyers
    Don't forget cash buyers as well.
    And I'm not talking about old houses, I'm talking about recent build's in new estates, as you spoke that it loose 30k in value after it is bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

Shoden wrote: »
    Here's an interesting video on the subject just posted by Shane Fleming: https://youtu.be/H_rSohgB6JU

Shane Fleming is an experienced EA,
    Watch his video, very informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

For those quoting statistics please quote your source (lots of posters). And advice for everyone else including myself - disregard any stats that are trotted out without a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭combat14

the good news is that there wont be a vaccine for all in the eu till 2022 .. so we all can keep saving vast sums of money during lockdown to perpetuate the high rents and ever increasing irish property prices that never fall :)

I'm sure some here will be delighted ....

2022 before a Covid vaccine is available to all in EU

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1027/1174213-eu-covid-vaccine/

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

There will not be sufficient doses of a coronavirus vaccine to cover the wider EU population before 2022, officials said today in an internal meeting.

First line of that RTE 2022 report, pathetic journalism. Awful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There will not be sufficient doses of a coronavirus vaccine to cover the wider EU population before 2022, officials said today in an internal meeting.

First line of that RTE 2022 report, pathetic journalism. Awful stuff

That's perfectly fine, there don't need to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement