Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Graham wrote: »
    That's hardly surprising given the very immediate impact of the pandemic on retail. Retail/leisure were always going to bear the brunt of the loss in trade given that's it's not easy for the sector to switch to a WFH model.

When the pandemic is eventually behind us, I'd expect valuations to bounce back.

Retail commercial space is primarily valued on footfall. The only way these valuations can 'bounce back' is if, post-Covid, all pre-covid office workers return to working 9 to 5 five days a week back at the office. Otherwise, footfall is down permanently and by extension, retail property values are down permanently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Retail commercial space is primarily valued on footfall. The only way these valuations can 'bounce back' is if, post-Covid, all pre-covid office workers return to working 9 to 5 five days a week back at the office. Otherwise, footfall is down permanently and by extension, retail property values are down permanently.

While that's true, I've no doubt footfall will return to premium retail areas like Grafton Street but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

Graham wrote: »
    While that's true, I've no doubt footfall will return to premium retail areas like Grafton Street but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

It's only 'prime' because of footfall e.g. office workers from the southside/northside travelling through Grafton Street to get to the other side. Less footfall, less potential customers, less sales, rents drop, property values drop. These are all businesses and sales are all that matters.

I'm also sure the new idea will be to make the area a 'recreational zone' or something similar with more restaurants etc. They tried that in the big shopping centres in the UK and all that happened was that there were more food outlets competing for the same limited number of visitors and sales of all existing food outlets went down.

Dublin City Council seeks to use Docklands tower block for social housing

"A 15-storey privately developed apartment block in Dublin’s south docklands could be used exclusively for social housing if permission is granted by An Bord Pleanála.

The council’s head of housing, Brendan Kenny, said any agreement with the developers would be pursued only if planning permission was granted and would also be subject to negotiations on price. However, he said the council would be “very, very interested” in acquiring the entire block.

We would get a lot of criticism over the scarcity of social housing in Dublin 4, so to have an opportunity like this, we would be very, very interested, if the place gets planning permission, if it gets built, and if the price is right.”

Given all this social housing being leased or purchased in Dublin 4, Dermot Desmond wasn't too far off for calling them 'Ballymun Towers South Dublin'.

Full story in Irish Times today: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-city-council-seeks-to-use-docklands-tower-block-for-social-housing-1.4393441

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

"A 15-storey privately developed apartment block in Dublin’s south docklands could be used exclusively for social housing if permission is granted by An Bord Pleanála.

The council’s head of housing, Brendan Kenny, said any agreement with the developers would be pursued only if planning permission was granted and would also be subject to negotiations on price. However, he said the council would be “very, very interested” in acquiring the entire block.

We would get a lot of criticism over the scarcity of social housing in Dublin 4, so to have an opportunity like this, we would be very, very interested, if the place gets planning permission, if it gets built, and if the price is right.”

Given all this social housing being leased or purchased in Dublin 4, Dermot Desmond wasn't too far off for calling them 'Ballymun Towers South Dublin'.

Full story in Irish Times today: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-city-council-seeks-to-use-docklands-tower-block-for-social-housing-1.4393441

do they ever get it right!? the whole purpose of having a social housing requirement in new developments was to integrate people not create a bloody social housing tower!

• Advertisement

nerrad01 wrote: »
    do they ever get it right!? the whole purpose of having a social housing requirement in new developments was to integrate people not create a bloody social housing tower!

They are getting it right. It's basically the start of a back-door bailout for all those empty 'luxury' apartment blocks developers have being building over the past 3 years which they couldn't rent or sell.

It's like the carbon taxes. Dressed up as 'protecting the environment' while in reality, it's just a back-door tax increase on poor people to keep the Government coffers full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

They are getting it right. It's basically the start of a back-door bailout for all those empty 'luxury' apartment blocks developers have being building over the past 3 years which they couldn't rent or sell.

It's like the carbon taxes. Dressed up as 'protecting the environment' while in reality, it's just a back-door tax increase on poor people to keep the Government coffers full.

How do the government make out of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

Smouse156 wrote: »
    House prices surge as Covid upends economics
    https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/house-prices-surge-as-covid-upends-economics-39679973.html

More property pumping from the IO & David Chancer. Trying to spin global rises into rising prices here. Desperately don’t want prices to fall as the last line highlights “ Sadly for us, the global nature of capital markets means contagion will spread here in the event of a crash elsewhere.”

The famous line, "this time it's different". I love the optimism, he should replace Tony Holohan as CMO.

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

What's a 'link dump'? For future reference

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

folks if you're going to link to an article/tweet/video, there's an expectation that it's relevant and that you include your opinion/connection to the discussion.

Specifically for this thread, that should be at least loosely how the linked item is connected to the Irish Property Market 2020.

seems to be an increase in the number of properties being listed, my daft/ my home notifications have definitely increased significantly over the last few days. I wonder is there an increased appetite to get places sold before xmas

nerrad01 wrote: »
    seems to be an increase in the number of properties being listed, my daft/ my home notifications have definitely increased significantly over the last few days. I wonder is there an increased appetite to get places sold before xmas

I don't know where you are seeing that if you look at the myhome.ie homepage available properties 16414 yesterday there was 50 more available so it is actually going down on a daily basis. Maybe the area you have set up for your notifications have had a few properties up for sale but its not typical of the rest of the country

I've a pretty broad range for my filter on daft.ie and there have been 2 new properties listed since the 23rd of October, if anything I've noticed things dry up

fliball123 wrote: »
    I don't know where you are seeing that if you look at the myhome.ie homepage available properties 16414 yesterday there was 50 more available so it is actually going down on a daily basis. Maybe the area you have set up for your notifications have had a few properties up for sale but its not typical of the rest of the country

yep i was purely talking anecdotally, as my notifications had practically stopped. So nice to see something going again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How much are they going to pay to lease that I wonder.
    Would they not be better off doing what we all do, when we look at D4 and realize buying there is going to break us, and look for value by leasing in a cheaper location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭combat14

Banks turning the screw on some covid mortgage applicants

Bank defends asking mortgage applicants whether their employer is seeking State Covid assistance

https://www.thejournal.ie/banks-ewss-mortgage-applicants-5245714-Oct2020/

JimmyVik wrote: »
    How much are they going to pay to lease that I wonder.
    Would they not be better off doing what we all do, when we look at D4 and realize buying there is going to break us, and look for value by leasing in a cheaper location.

I wonder will they get a better deal than the Herbert Hill apartments in Dundrum?

"The Herbert Hill apartments are now set to be used as social housing with the council reportedly paying monthly rents of some €2,000 for one-bed apartments, €2,500 for two-bed units and €3,000 for three-bed units. However, protesters argue that rent paid by the council over the next 25 years will end up exceeding what Realis paid for the complex, which stands in a prime location next to Dundrum Town Centre."

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/council-chairman-defends-dundrum-lease-deal-with-foreign-cuckoo-fund-1.4108443

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

combat14 wrote: »
    Banks turning the screw on some covid mortgage applicants

Bank defends asking mortgage applicants whether their employer is seeking State Covid assistance

https://www.thejournal.ie/banks-ewss-mortgage-applicants-5245714-Oct2020/

Great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I've a pretty broad range for my filter on daft.ie and there have been 2 new properties listed since the 23rd of October, if anything I've noticed things dry up

I've noticed the same thing over the last month, very few properties coming to the market in the areas I've been searching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

I've noticed the same thing over the last month, very few properties coming to the market in the areas I've been searching

Yep , same here in Cork.

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    Yep , same here in Cork.

But surely with the 50% price decreases coming before the end of the year everyone would be saturating the market with their property in order to get as much as they can :) .. God the amount of properties available on myhome is just drying up so fast. Anyone a take on why this is happening?

But surely with the 50% price decreases coming before the end of the year everyone would be saturating the market with their property in order to get as much as they can :) .. God the amount of properties available on myhome is just drying up so fast. Anyone a take on why this is happening?

Are you selling a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I would expect supply to remain low until we are well out of this, why would you move now unless you absolutely had too; too many factors at play.

Rather than causing a dramatic decrease in the market as expected, it's possibly and looking likely covid will just cause it to seize up for the foreseeable.

Obviously this is not good for both buyers and sellers, irrespective of prices achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Theres a clear chronic supply issue whilst at the same time pent up demand for from the last last 6 months of lockdowns ect.
    It would be a very risky move for a family to put their house on the market in the current climate, I know I certainly wouldnt. Whos to say the seller will have a job in 6 months time, would be reckless to plan a move with so much uncertainty and almost impossible to search for a new house with the 5km travel limit.

Are you selling a house?

No I bought and sold during the earlier part of the year

Theres a clear chronic supply issue whilst at the same time pent up demand for from the last last 6 months of lockdowns ect.
    It would be a very risky move for a family to put their house on the market in the current climate, I know I certainly wouldnt. Whos to say the seller will have a job in 6 months time, would be reckless to plan a move with so much uncertainty and almost impossible to search for a new house with the 5km travel limit.

I believe you can look outside your 5k and go to viewings on housing outside of the 5k as housing is an essential service

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Few if any new builds have commenced since March. Those that were under construction at that time are the last new builds which will be on the market for quite some time to come. The trading up market is bedevilled by uncertainty. People are saving rather than spending. It is also extremely difficult and inconvenient to market and occupied property due to the restrictions and also messy and inconvenient to view property. All repossession cases in the courts have been halted since March, so again there are fewer properties from that source coming to the market. Demographically, household formations are occurring at a high rate due to the Celtic Tiger baby boom.

But people have been spouting on herewith the amount of air bnb and rentals coming on stream (this was 8 or 9 months ago) and the fact that there is no tourism, no students and no immigration inwards, we would have a huge property range to choose from and the opposite has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

But people have been spouting on herewith the amount of air bnb and rentals coming on stream (this was 8 or 9 months ago) and the fact that there is no tourism, no students and no immigration inwards, we would have a huge property range to choose from and the opposite has happened.

There is plenty of supply on the rental market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement