Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brewdog delivery seized by customs

• 22-10-2020 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to anyone who like me has been using parcel Wizard to get shipments of beer from the UK. This is my third shipment, the first two were delivered without issue. It was picked in customs in Athlone. I've not replied to the letter, anyone know how much duty is to be paid on 14 litres of alcohol?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's dependent on the ABV, but they may not let you pay anyway - you need a licence to import alcohol but they often allow you to pay the without one the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

The UK is still in the EU customs union until the end of the year.

What is the legality bid seizing goods for which duty has already been paid?

You only need a licence to import from outside the EU. Intra EU movement of alcohol is not technically an "import".

You might as well "import" from Helsinki as Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You only need a licence to import from outside the EU. Intra EU movement of alcohol is not technically an "import".

I understand why it's lifted. Excise duty isn't paid on it, it's paid to the Queen not Irish revenue

I understand why it's lifted. Excise duty isn't paid on it, it's paid to the Queen not Irish revenue

Doesn't bother matter. That's the spirit of the EU.

Single market. The single market has existed since 1973.

Are you telling me I'd be breaking the law if brought 100 litres of beer from Newry?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

EU law. A private citizen can only move alcohol from one EU state to another if they carry it on their own person and it's intended for their own personal use. Otherwise you are liable for whatever excise duty (and VAT on that excise duty) applies in the state you bring the alcohol into.

• Advertisement

Doesn't bother matter. That's the spirit of the EU.

Are you telling me I'd be breaking the law if brought 100 litres of beer from Newry?

The Single Market came into effect on 1st January 1993.

If you personally being 100 letters of beer from Newry across the border, that's absolutely fine. For now. All will change on 1st January next year though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The single market doesn't excuse you from paying taxes that are due. All BrewDog had to do was set themselves up with Irish Revenue and pay the Irish taxes on goods shipped to Ireland, but they didn't. It's on them, but their customers suffer the consequences.
    No, because there's an exemption for goods you bring yourself. If it was shipped to you rather than you bringing it, and the Irish tax wan't paid, then you'd be breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Quackster wrote: »
    The Single Market came into effect on 1st January 1993.

If you personally being 100 letters of beer from Newry across the border, that's absolutely fine. For now. All will change on 1st January next year though.
    They are hardly gonna stop us bringing our own beer accross.

Edit

Oh

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

EU law. A private citizen can only move alcohol from one EU state to another if they carry it on their own person and it's intended for their own personal use. Otherwise you are liable for whatever excise duty (and VAT on that excise duty) applies in the state you bring the alcohol into.

👠Wasn't aware of that.

So I can bring a horsebox of champagne from France in the ferry? It's up to them ton prove it's not for my use.

👠Wasn't aware of that.

So I can bring a horsebox of champagne from France in the ferry? It's up to them ton prove it's not for my use.
    Exactly. Lots of folk (used to) travel over on the ferry to France to load up the boot/van/horse-box with cheap French wine. There are plenty of establishments at the French ports specifically set up to cater for this market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

so the excise doesn't have anything to do with EU law. it's a revenue thing. The op using parcel motel suggests he's using the uk delivery rather than paying for shipping to Ireland which brewdog do offer.

And on the horsebox from france it's actually up to you to prove it's personal consumption they just have to have reasonable grounds to suspect it's not for personal consumption

ec18 wrote: »
    so the excise doesn't have anything to do with EU law. it's a revenue thing. The op using parcel motel suggests he's using the uk delivery rather than paying for shipping to Ireland which brewdog do offer.

And on the horsebox from france it's actually up to you to prove it's personal consumption they just have to have reasonable grounds to suspect it's not for personal consumption
    It is EU law that dictates whether excise is applicable or not.

Yes, above a certain quantity, the onus falls on you to prove personal use.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/alcohol-tobacco-cash/indexamp_en.htm

Also of note on that link I posted, from 1st January next year, as things stand the legal duty-free limit (per person) on the amount of alcohol that we can bring back from the UK (including NI) will be:

4 litres of still wine and

16 litres of beer and

a total of 1 litre of spirits over 22 % vol. or 1 litre of undenatured alcohol (ethyl alcohol) of 80% vol. (or over) or 2 litres of fortified or sparkling wine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

How will it work from Jan 2021 if someone from the North orders alcohol from republic? Will anything change there?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    How will it work from Jan 2021 if someone from the North orders alcohol from republic? Will anything change there?
    It's not yet known but I doubt much will change: UK excise is still due on anything crossing the border. I've no idea how strictly HMRC enforces this though.

ec18 wrote: »

Ultimately incorrect. It's for a judge to decide if you fight it. A generally held view is anything that can be 'reasonable' consumed within a year and a day or before the expiration date.

Too many people just accept the argument from customs and walk away from their stuff. In reality that's just numbers that customs have decided in as a line in the sand. I can't locate it now but Josephine Feehily admitted it before in an interview.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

With regards Brewdog specifically, they have apparently hired PWC to look into some solutions to the customs issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just a heads up to anyone who like me has been using parcel Wizard to get shipments of beer from the UK. This is my third shipment, the first two were delivered without issue. It was picked in customs in Athlone. I've not replied to the letter, anyone know how much duty is to be paid on 14 litres of alcohol?

There should be a contact number or email address on the letter, contact them and tell them you would like to know how much it will cost to have the beer forwarded on to you.
    It is calculated by a formula they have which uses the strength of the alcohol and the volume.
    They are just Customs officials doing their job and you won’t be facing any prosecutions or fines.
    They’ll explain the options open to you and if you pay the duty you’ll have your beer sent to you and get a receipt posted.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This happened to me as well. You will be asked to pay the additional excise duties on the beer.

It's a real sickened, but my own fault.

There should be a contact number or email address on the letter, contact them and tell them you would like to know how much it will cost to have the beer forwarded on to you.
    It is calculated by a formula they have which uses the strength of the alcohol and the volume.
    They are just Customs officials doing their job and you won’t be facing any prosecutions or fines.
    They’ll explain the options open to you and if you pay the duty you’ll have your beer sent to you and get a receipt posted.

Yeah the letter says I must write to them giving my name and address. I'm gonna do that today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

14 litres?

That would be 280 litres of 5% beer or almost 900x330ml cans.

But I presume 14l of beer

Brewdog send in branded boxes, so easily seen.

Duty not too bad, about €17 for your 14l.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Duty not too bad, about €17 for your 14l.
    VAT is payable on top of that too.

Got a reply

Excise duty and Vat is due as follows:

Excise:                  €17.36

Vat:                       €  9.64

Total due:            €27.00

Got a reply

Excise duty and Vat is due as follows:

Excise:                  €17.36

Vat:                       €  9.64

Total due:            €27.00

So basically you have the option to pay 2 euro a litre for your favourite beer, not too bad.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

So basically you have the option to pay 2 euro a litre for your favourite beer, not too bad.

Yeah makes it expensive beer but in my eyes it's a mortal sin to leave it and let a customs officer have a free house party!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

What happens if he walks away? Does it get returned to sender?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

dubrov wrote: »

Would the sender want it back ? Who'd pay carraige ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

dubrov wrote: »
    It would be 'destroyed'.

It seems a bit cheeky of them to be apparently charging VAT on the whole cost of the beer, rather than just the duty due, but I guess they hold all the cards.

It would be 'destroyed'.

You mean drank :p

• Advertisement

It would be 'destroyed'.

It seems a bit cheeky of them to be apparently charging VAT on the whole cost of the beer, rather than just the duty due, but I guess they hold all the cards.

That's not exactly what I was told when I had a delivery seized.

Advertisement