Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Software update 8.0 launching today

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/14/ps4-system-software-update-8-00-launching-today/
    Here are some of the key features in this update:

Updates to Party and Messages
    Following this update, Party and Messages will be more tightly linked together and you will see changes to the UI. Both apps will now use the same ‘Groups’ of players for Party voice chats and message exchanges, instead of having different groups setup across the two apps. So now you can start a Party chat or send a message to the group you’ve previously chatted with across PS4, as well as PS5 when it launches.

New Avatars
    We’re expanding the collection of pre-set avatars for players to showcase on their Profile. An array of new avatars from your favorite games will be available, including Bloodborne, Journey, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, The Last of Us Part II, The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and many more.

Mute all Mics from Quick Menu
    We’ve added an option to “Mute all Microphones” in the Quick Menu, so you can easily mute your mics while gaming.

Simplified and more flexible Parental Controls
    Under Parental Controls, we’re combining the ‘Communicating with Other Players’ and ‘Viewing Content Created by other Players’ into one setting – ‘Communication and User Generated Content’- to cover both areas of communication and UGC sharing. This offers a simpler setting that’s easier for parents to understand and apply to their children.

In addition, children can send a request to their parents to use communications features in specific games. When a child sends this request, the parent will receive an email notification and can choose to make an exception for that game and allow the child to use its communications and UGC features. This will provide more flexibility to both parents and children.

Enhanced 2-Step Verification
    The 2-Step Verification (2SV) feature on PS4 will be enhanced to support third party authenticator apps as an option during the activation flow and 2SV sign-in across PS4, mobile and web.

Removal of Event Creation and Private Community Creation
    After 8.00, you will no longer be able to create Events or access existing Events created by other users.

We’re also removing the ability to create private Communities under the Community app on PS4. If you already have existing private Communities, you can continue to access them.

Updates to Remote Play App on Mobile and PC
    At the same time as 8.00, the existing PS4 Remote Play app on mobile (iOS/Android), Windows PC and Mac, will change its name to PS Remote Play, and the option to connect to PS5 will be added. You’ll need to sign in to PSN from your PS5 to be able to access the feature, so sit tight until PS5 launches this November!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mute all mics is about all I care about in that update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I had 3 or so of the beta's and didn't notice a difference!
    Don't use party chat, so no changes that I'd pay attention to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I had 3 or so of the beta's and didn't notice a difference!
    Don't use party chat, so no changes that I'd pay attention to :)

Sony should just go and marry the party feature as every fw update release is centered around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Why would you get rid of public parties? It was always handy leaving the party open so your friends could jump in and out...

Went into friends list and saw 'custom list'. Not sure if it's new or I'm just seeing it now but looks like you can create a group for a quick view if your friends are online but when i go to select friends, it either gives an error message or nothing happens. Then it locked up and i had to press the ps button to get back to xmb. Tried going back into friends menu and the system locked up again. GG Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Went into friends list and saw 'custom list'. Not sure if it's new or I'm just seeing it now but looks like you can create a group for a quick view if your friends are online but when i go to select friends, it either gives an error message or nothing happens. Then it locked up and i had to press the ps button to get back to xmb. Tried going back into friends menu and the system locked up again. GG Sony.

Those are old, can be a bit slow loading depending on list size.

I've got one for family, and then a few others for individual games.
    Why would you get rid of public parties? It was always handy leaving the party open so your friends could jump in and out...

Probably prefer it,

Far more randoms end up joining who no one is really sure who they are and even the person they joined isn't sure, than useful friends jumping in.

Varik wrote: »
    Those are old, can be a bit slow loading depending on list size.

I've got one for family, and then a few others for individual games.

Saw a tweet dating PlayStation is having network issues tonight anyway. Pity i didn't see those lists sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So PS5 users will be able to record voice chats.

Can see that going well,Sony can be heavy handed so I'd imagine there will be bans!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

EoinHef wrote: »
    So PS5 users will be able to record voice chats.

Can see that going well,Sony can be heavy handed so I'd imagine there will be bans!!

It's already that way on PS4 with the new system update.

Destroys the party chat system having to add everyone to a chat group before being able to voice chat.

What was wrong with having private or public parties as before.

They should do like Nintendo:

4ilci2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It's already that way on PS4 with the new system update.

Destroys the party chat system having to add everyone to a chat group before being able to voice chat.

What was wrong with having private or public parties as before.

Oh ok,the article i was looking at was saying it was a PS5 feature that could record PS4 chats,didnt mention that PS4 could do it too.

Not a fan. Mega corps sticking their noses in as usual. Also I do feel Sony can be heavy handed with this stuff. That aside I dont be giving people crap online as I dont get the need some people have for that stuff so no worries there,I dont like it from a privacy point of view though.

I'll have to check out the party chat changes,havent been on the PS in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

EoinHef wrote: »
    Oh ok,the article i was looking at was saying it was a PS5 feature that could record PS4 chats,didnt mention that PS4 could do it too.

Not a fan. Mega corps sticking their noses in as usual. Also I do feel Sony can be heavy handed with this stuff. That aside I dont be giving people crap online as I dont get the need some people have for that stuff so no worries there,I dont like it from a privacy point of view though.

I'll have to check out the party chat changes,havent been on the PS in a few days

It can only be done on PS5 but if you’re on a PS4 and in a party with a PS5 user they can record you afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

So now that PS4 party's are available on phone and PS5 is there anyway to use it on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In fairness, it's been a great gen!

Anyone know how long a PS4 format takes? Getting ready to sell it and wondering how long i have left with it :(

The ps3 took 9 hours a few weeks ago so bit weary of leaving this till last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyone know how long a PS4 format takes? Getting ready to sell it and wondering how long i have left with it :(

The ps3 took 9 hours a few weeks ago so bit weary of leaving this till last minute.

I think mine took around 4ish hours when I traded in the PS4 for PS4 Pro a few years back. Imagine it's similar to that but could be more if the hard drive is loaded.

• Advertisement

I think mine took around 4ish hours when I traded in the PS4 for PS4 Pro a few years back. Imagine it's similar to that but could be more if the hard drive is loaded.

Cool thanks, deleting everything off it first bar one game (can't believe Fallout 76 is gonna be the last game I play on PS4). Will run initialisation before i head to bed then..... Jesus, it's actually emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

In fairness, it's been a great gen!

I joined the party four years late, but I'm glad I did (got a PS4 slim in 2017 and got a PS4 Pro a year later).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was asked to get Minecraft for PS4. Does anyone know is that Bedrock edition the proper game or some spinoff like Story ode and Dungeons? I only see those 3 games in Smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was asked to get Minecraft for PS4. Does anyone know is that Bedrock edition the proper game or some spinoff like Story ode and Dungeons? I only see those 3 games in Smyths

It's the version that works as multiplatform I believe? so you can join the same server as someone on PC and xbox etc. But yeah the true version of the game, not a spinoff

Naughty Dog have rolled out a patch for TLOU Remastered that makes loading times 6-7x faster. On PS4 with regular HDD

Bizarre that these kind of gains were available, I don't know what it says about their original code.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Decided to check out the new web store last night. It is really bad, in my opinion, from a customer perspective.

This was on the PC.
    You're on the store page and you want to see the PS4 games, so naturally you go to Games>PS4.
    But nope, you ned to go to the option over towards the right with Shop>Buy PS4 Games.
    I'm on the store page, why are there options to take me away from it?

Then when going through what's available all games are only represented by the game cover, with no text underneath so with some you have to either get closer to the screen to read the small print, or click into it to see what it is. like in the Halloween deals section, on the first row we have Silent Hill, but the small print says it's a Dead By Daylight addon and that's the same for multiple things in this sale.
    Or they have plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Deluxe Edition and Deluxe upgrade. Exact same picture and have to click into it to see why the price difference.

Then there are no filter or sort options that I can see.

It's no better on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Naughty Dog have rolled out a patch for TLOU Remastered that makes loading times 6-7x faster. On PS4 with regular HDD

Bizarre that these kind of gains were available, I don't know what it says about their original code.

That it was written for the PS3, who's stock HDD had a sequential read speeds of ~50-70 average depending on model while the PS4 was ~120.

Would say it says more about them not bothering for the PS4 remaster before this and that they thought it was good enough as is, would say the patch is to improve performance on PS5 too.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Decided to check out the new web store last night. It is really bad, in my opinion, from a customer perspective.

This was on the PC.
    You're on the store page and you want to see the PS4 games, so naturally you go to Games>PS4.
    But nope, you ned to go to the option over towards the right with Shop>Buy PS4 Games.
    I'm on the store page, why are there options to take me away from it?

Then when going through what's available all games are only represented by the game cover, with no text underneath so with some you have to either get closer to the screen to read the small print, or click into it to see what it is. like in the Halloween deals section, on the first row we have Silent Hill, but the small print says it's a Dead By Daylight addon and that's the same for multiple things in this sale.
    Or they have plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Deluxe Edition and Deluxe upgrade. Exact same picture and have to click into it to see why the price difference.

Then there are no filter or sort options that I can see.

It's no better on the phone.

Yeah , have seen loads of people giving out about the redesign especially the no text under thumbnails and lack of filters. The old store is still available via the PlayStation app. Hopefully the store is not fully set up and we are missing all this extra content

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I bought days gone on disc and played about 12 hrs or so of game time..

It came to PS Now so I had to delete the disc go download the digital version... My save is still showing on System Storage however its not allowing me to continue my game, anyone know what I can do here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I bought days gone on disc and played about 12 hrs or so of game time..

It came to PS Now so I had to delete the disc go download the digital version... My save is still showing on System Storage however its not allowing me to continue my game, anyone know what I can do here?

Follow the steps here.

https://support.playstation.com/s/article/How-to-Transfer-Game-Progress-between-PlayStation-Now-and-Your-PS4?language=en_US

Advertisement