Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread goes fourth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Christ, turning us into furries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Does anyone use the PS4 to access the Disney Plus App?

For the last couple of evenings I haven't been able to log on, the app just crashes when it tries to load.

Have tried deleting and reinstalling the app to no avail.

There was a recent software update so not sure if that is what's causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Does anyone use the PS4 to access the Disney Plus App?

For the last couple of evenings I haven't been able to log on, the app just crashes when it tries to load.

Have tried deleting and reinstalling the app to no avail.

There was a recent software update so not sure if that is what's causing it.

Just checked mine there, the app seems a bit laggy but streamed away no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Checked with the kids here and they said it's been glitchy and laggy but been running.

What screwdrivers are needed to open a PS4? Wanna give me a good clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    What screwdrivers are needed to open a PS4? Wanna give me a good clean.

Depending on how far you want to go, a torx screwdriver set, a torx security screwdriver set and standard philips. something similar to this would be exactly what you need.

Depending on how far you want to go, a torx screwdriver set, a torx security screwdriver set and standard philips. something similar to this would be exactly what you need.

Just want to clean up all the dust built up inside it tbh.

Just want to clean up all the dust built up inside it tbh.

Could get away with a small philips and a small flat head, did it myself when just cleaning the fan.

Videos on youtube will show you what you need to do, its simple enough on the slim anyway.

Could get away with a small philips and a small flat head, did it myself when just cleaning the fan.

Videos on youtube will show you what you need to do, its simple enough on the slim anyway.

Ordered a set of Torx’s and some compressed air off eBay. Does it make any difference to the noise when it’s cleaned properly?. Seen a YouTube video of a fella cleaning it and he almost took away a blanket of dust from the inside, could only imagine what mine is like :pac:

took the dust off of mine, no change to me. If you go back a few pages or posts you'll even see i've tried getting new rubber stands for it, no change.

Could be the fan is slightly off kilter inside, may be the same as on mine. Not sure really. so cant say for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It has mixed reviews. I cleaned out mine, replaced the fan and reapplied the thermal paste. Was lovely quiet for a week or two, back to normal since. Now, it does take ever so slightly longer to get into jet engine mode, but it still gets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It has mixed reviews. I cleaned out mine, replaced the fan and reapplied the thermal paste. Was lovely quiet for a week or two, back to normal since. Now, it does take ever so slightly longer to get into jet engine mode, but it still gets there.

What paste did you use.

took the dust off of mine, no change to me. If you go back a few pages or posts you'll even see i've tried getting new rubber stands for it, no change.

Could be the fan is slightly off kilter inside, may be the same as on mine. Not sure really. so cant say for certain.

I’ve a book thrown under mind to keep it elevated, no changes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Varik wrote: »
    What paste did you use.

All came together from this Amazon page. Maybe that's why it didn't work, probably got caught out by the 'designed for PS4/Xbox'.

All came together from this Amazon page. Maybe that's why it didn't work, probably got caught out by the 'designed for PS4/Xbox'.

The thermal paste in the main picture isn't the same as what's shown in some of the reviews.

Some show ARCTIC MX-2 and others show a no name electgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

With the PS5 getting all of the attention now, I wonder will there be big price slashes on the PS4 pro? I mean the thing is the same price as the digital version of the PS5!

What paste did you use.

Does it matter which thermal paste is used?

Does it matter which thermal paste is used?

Some cheap ones dry out, especially if the normal temperatures they're under is high. You don't have to buy the highest end stuff it's just about avoiding the no name stuff.

Some cheap ones dry out, especially if the normal temperatures they're under is high. You don't have to buy the highest end stuff it's just about avoiding the no name stuff.

I ordered this one, probably a load of **** so is it?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264085161655

I'd cancel that order if you're able.

In general the top of the processor's lid spreads the heat and touches the heatsink directly and it's straight metal to metal contact, the thermal compounds are there to fill in the tiny gaps as the surfaces aren't 100% smooth so you'd have tiny tiny air gaps.

So when a normal thermal compound is used it's limiting the worst case scenario, so unless you're using something like liquid metal (do not use here) there's going to be no positive measurable difference on results.

I knew that brand from the below video, the one used in the below video was HY610 which is still about 30% better performance than the HY510 you ordered and that's if it's legit and not counterfeit where it could be anything.

I'd suggesting using MX-4 or any graphene based ones as it performs well enough and isn't electrically conductive so no need to be tidy and risk using too little.

• Advertisement

I'd cancel that order if you're able.

In general the top of the processor's lid spreads the heat and touches the heatsink directly and it's straight metal to metal contact, the thermal compounds are there to fill in the tiny gaps as the surfaces aren't 100% smooth so you'd have tiny tiny air gaps.

So when a normal thermal compound is used it's limiting the worst case scenario, so unless you're using something like liquid metal (do not use here) there's going to be no positive measurable difference on results.

I knew that brand from the below video, the one used in the below video was HY610 which is still about 30% better performance than the HY510 you ordered and that's if it's legit and not counterfeit where it could be anything.

I'd suggesting using MX-4 or any graphene based ones as it performs well enough and isn't electrically conductive so no need to be tidy and risk using too little.

Only cost about €2 so won’t really care about wasting money on it. Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll check out the MX-4 one, is the MX-4 the type of a paste or the brand? Noticed a few different people selling them online so would any of them do?

Only cost about €2 so won’t really care about wasting money on it. Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll check out the MX-4 one, is the MX-4 the type of a paste or the brand? Noticed a few different people selling them online so would any of them do?

Arctic is the brand, MX-4 is the product name. It's the best non metal based one they sell.

When you apply it then the pressure of the heatsink will spread it out and if you use too much it might go somewhere it shouldn't but if you use too little it won't perform as well.

With the non metal ones it doesn't matter if you use too much as it's not electrically conductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,683 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey man, i bought Arctic MX-4 a few months back but when it arrived, I noticed I'd have to break the warranty seal on the ps4 so decided not to use it as i knew I'd be selling my PS4 before PS5. The paste and applicator are still in their sealed package and i could fit it in an envelope. Let me know if you want it and I'll post it to ya (if you're in Ireland), no charge.

I don't even want to think about keeping it in case the PS5 starts overheating.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Hey man, i bought Arctic MX-4 a few months back but when it arrived, I noticed I'd have to break the warranty seal on the ps4 so decided not to use it as i knew I'd be selling my PS4 before PS5. The paste and applicator are still in their sealed package and i could fit it in an envelope. Let me know if you want it and I'll post it to ya (if you're in Ireland), no charge.

If rumours are true you won't need to the PS5 is meant to use liquid metal so 10x the performance of any thermal paste and you'd not want to be taking that apart as it'd probably destroy the PS5.

That on top of the heatsink using a vapour chamber same as the ONE X and the Series X.

Hey man, only seeing this now. Thanks for the offer but I’ve already ordered one.

Hey man, only seeing this now. Thanks for the offer but I’ve already ordered one.

Goodluck with it man, let us know how you get on.

Goodluck with it man, let us know how you get on.

I’m gonna open it up first and clear all the dust out and see if that makes any difference, if it doesn’t I’ll try the thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anyone know if cex only want a dualshock controller when trading in or do you need to supply a charging cable? Thanks all.

Anyone know if cex only want a dualshock controller when trading in or do you need to supply a charging cable? Thanks all.

If trading in the whole console, usb cable is needed. If trading in just a controller, then just the controller is needed, no cable. Source, i sold just the controller a few weeks ago and was told cable not needed. I asked about the console and what was needed for that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

If trading in the whole console, usb cable is needed. If trading in just a controller, then just the controller is needed, no cable. Source, i sold just the controller a few weeks ago and was told cable not needed. I asked about the console and what was needed for that also.

Do you need the box for controller only?

Advertisement