Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Shedite27 wrote: »
    We had this whole Intel debate exactly 3 months ago, July 23rd, when Intel annoucned the delay in producing modern chips and dropped 17% in a day from $60 to $50. The main argument people on here were using for buying was "Intel are a famous company, it just dropped 17%, it will go back up 17%". It hasn't, it's now at $48.

The new kid on the block that day in chips is Nvidia. On that same day that you could have got Intel for $50, Nvidia was $400, up 70% YTD at that point. Nvidia is $540 today.

So the "its cheap" arguent on Intel netted you -4% since July 23rd, the "it's too expensive" Nvidia is up 35% since then.

The same decision is in front of you today, with exactly the same companies. Intel looks cheap, Nvidia looks expensive. Don't make the same mistake again. One company is going nowhere, the other made big acquisitions recently to modernise.

Will be very interesting to see if that trend continues.....lets check back in another 3 months.

Intel seems to have at least bottomed out at $48. (for this week)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Will be very interesting to see if that trend continues.....lets check back in another 3 months.

Yep, see if I've made another Dud investment....

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭jams100

Pelezico wrote: »
    Would not touch Intel. They are a node behind development of chips....like being the Nokia of chip makers.

The end is nigh...hence the very low PE ratio.

Yes Intel are going through a bad run but given their firepower and money they can and most likely will pump (more) money into R&D. There is no doubt that increased competition is going to hurt them but saying all that I think both amd and nvidia are either at fair value or overvalued.

The (safe) dividend with intel and share buyback when things turnaround means I'd prefer intel right now. Personnally i don't listen to what analysts say...id say half of them know as much as me (which is f**k all).

For all the negativity you hear about Intel they posted a 4.28 billion profit in the 3rd quarter during a pandemic. So yes, they've lost their way a bit but for me the risk, which I see as small, is worth the reward, which I also see as small. Its the dividend that swings it. You can't have all your money in risky stocks like zoom etc.
    Anyway alot of people will fall into the groupthink bracket for me. Intel just isn't seen by people as a "sexy" stock unlike your tesla's etc.

I'm holding both intel and nvidia as I also see nvidia doing good things in the future especially in the gaming chips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

"AMD Stock May Lead Semiconductors Lower"

http://uk.investing.com/analysis/amd-stock-may-lead-semiconductors-lower-200448711

Another viewpoint on the semiconductors sector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Hi guys, long time follower of this thread! Sorry to ask such a nube question, but what would you recommend to be the best trading platform? I was talking to my friend who works in Davys and he said that their trading accounts are quite good, but I'd love to hear your recommendations! Thank you very much, any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Hi guys, long time follower of this thread! Sorry to ask such a nube question, but what would you recommend to be the best trading platform? I was talking to my friend who works in Davys and he said that their trading accounts are quite good, but I'd love to hear your recommendations! Thank you very much, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Davys is expensive, at least comparing to degiro and trading 212. I have both of them and have always preferred trading 212 as it's completely free (as long as you don't veer into leverage trading.

robman60 wrote: »
    Davys is expensive, at least comparing to degiro and trading 212. I have both of them and have always preferred trading 212 as it's completely free (as long as you don't veer into leverage trading.

Thank you sir! Much appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

robman60 wrote: »
    I have both of them and have always preferred trading 212 as it's completely free (as long as you don't veer into leverage trading.

No brokerage service is completely free, you pay one way or another and if you don't know how you're paying for it, it might be worth finding out.

- It can be because you are taking on additional risk because of the account type
    - It can be because the brokerage is receiving commission for transaction flow

and so on.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    No brokerage service is completely free, you pay one way or another and if you don't know how you're paying for it, it might be worth finding out.

- It can be because you are taking on additional risk because of the account type
    - It can be because the brokerage is receiving commission for transaction flow

and so on.

There seem to be a few too many bad reviews on https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/trading212.com?page=2&stars=1 for my liking!

What do you guys think? Have you experienced any similar issues? I would probably rather pay the fees with Davy if it meant that my investment was more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I use Degiro and Interactive Brokers. Both have tiny transaction fees on US stocks. No issues with either. IB have more variety of shares but is more complex interface to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There seem to be a few too many bad reviews on https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/trading212.com?page=2&stars=1 for my liking!

What do you guys think? Have you experienced any similar issues? I would probably rather pay the fees with Davy if it meant that my investment was more secure.

When I was looking at davy's fees I saw one line where it was 1.25% of your portfolio value annually.
    Read the fee schedule very carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

I have an invest account with T212 and not had any issues. Many of the negative reviews appear to be from people struggling to provide acceptable id and also from people with cfd accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Treppen

I just stick with degiro , it's interface is dated and interactivity is limited compared to the new sexy ones but it does the job, fees wise they're ok. There was a debate on here bout 3 years ago on whether or not you actually owned the shares or they were secure... Don't know how that debate ended.

How do these 'commission free' apps work? Is it just like gambling on a stock but not actually owning it.

I have no experience of either, I'm simply pointing out that anyone who things that brokerages give away their services, do not how understand how they are paying for them.

I have no experience of either, I'm simply pointing out that anyone who things that brokerages give away their services, do not how understand how they are paying for them.

Seems to be shavings from the bid and ask price. Then again it's up to you to set your limits and pay for real-time info.

Sorry I'm off topic, so I'll just keep tipping Magnis Resources ( ASX:MNS ) for a long term play (2 years). They're going from mining all the way to manufacture/supply of rechargable batteries + building more gigafactories . Musk himself says he won't have enough supply from his own gigafactories. Plus they have new technology with fast charge (85% charge from empty in 6 mins). The aim for Musk is to have private houses buying their own battery pack from him and then using solar to go off grid (obviously in Australia first) , so I'm hoping Magnis will be planning the same with their plant in Townsville.
    I've been tipped these first on here at 47c and gotton burned but averaged down again when they were about 10c. They seem to be ebbing back down again from new level hovering at 20c so I might wait till 15c or so.
    Not putting in major money, just selling off my trash green cannabubble stocks and seeing if I can make a silk purse from a sows ear.
    It's a little entertaining to watch the ASX when everyone else is in bed over in the Western hemisphere too.

Anyone know who tipped them first ? It was about 2017.

Treppen wrote: »
    How do these 'commission free' apps work? Is it just like gambling on a stock but not actually owning it.

It works just like any online broker. You do own the shares and you do receive dividends where appropriate.

Here's a link from their website:

https://helpcentre.trading212.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008702918-Do-I-own-the-shares-which-I-purchase-

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Shedite27 wrote: »
    We had this whole Intel debate exactly 3 months ago, July 23rd, when Intel annoucned the delay in producing modern chips and dropped 17% in a day from $60 to $50. The main argument people on here were using for buying was "Intel are a famous company, it just dropped 17%, it will go back up 17%". It hasn't, it's now at $48.

The new kid on the block that day in chips is Nvidia. On that same day that you could have got Intel for $50, Nvidia was $400, up 70% YTD at that point. Nvidia is $540 today.

So the "its cheap" arguent on Intel netted you -4% since July 23rd, the "it's too expensive" Nvidia is up 35% since then.

The same decision is in front of you today, with exactly the same companies. Intel looks cheap, Nvidia looks expensive. Don't make the same mistake again. One company is going nowhere, the other made big acquisitions recently to modernise.

No one can argue with your numbers , they are correct, but no one needs too.
    As Ive said the market isnt rational.
    Intel made more gross profit this quarter than AMD and NVDA combined will make in 12 months. But those 2 are valued twice the mcap on INTC.
    Theres a 1000 upside down valuations in the market these days.
    NVDIA and AMD are well managed and their SP is thriving partly based on PR and spin but also based on merit, NVDA will pick up plenty business partnering with VMWare on project Monterey, but they have to also mange to absorb ARM into their business. Intels numbers indicated a datacentre pull back from customers, it will be interesting to see if this will also impact on the others.
    I just dont think a compay like INTC that makes 90 billion in revenue a year is going nowhere. Time will tell, but its definitely an interesting sector to trade.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

genuine question...

do you have any actual stock tips for anyone ?
    Perhaps you do but Ive not seen any .

This thread is call Share Picks 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll just leave this here...

• Advertisement

RIGOLO wrote: »
    genuine question...

Don't think it's his fault, he was replying to an off topic question about Davy Vs Degiro etc.

Vaneck eSports etf ? They have the aforementioned AMD and Nvidia ,also Tencent !
    No Intel though :pac:

RIGOLO wrote: »
    genuine question...

When you show no inclination to do the hard work and deliver up well throughout recommendations... would anyone be motivated to share their hard work with you?

Just expressing opinions of the back of talking heads does means you don't bring anything to the table in return.

Seems to be shavings from the bid and ask price. Then again it's up to you to set your limits and pay for real-time info.

Actually what happens is that your trade instructions go to the intermediary who offers the broker the best commission... which may or may not result in you getting the best price as you'd normally assume you'd get.

Actually what happens is that your trade instructions go to the intermediary who offers the broker the best commission... which may or may not result in you getting the best price as you'd normally assume you'd get.

If I place a limit order(as I usually do) and get filled, am I at a disadvantage compared to placing the order with another broker?

outonawing wrote: »
    If I place a limit order(as I usually do) and get filled, am I at a disadvantage compared to placing the order with another broker?

It will all depend on the timing and without access to the order book, it is very to say if you were or not.

If you set the price limit at say $19.10 and you got them at $19.08, you would not be able say if there was a better price available at that specific time that you should have got. And most people are going to be happy and never even question it.

If you are buying a small number of share as an investment, then it should not really make a big difference in the long run. But if you are trading....

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

What are peoples toughts on american airlines, looks like it has room to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Jim, can I ask who you use? You seem very anti any of the modern low-cost brokers. I’ve seen you warning people off them as you claim
    - not getting beat price
    - don’t really own shares
    - investment not guaranteed if brokerage goes bust

Do you pay a premium to try to avoid these pitfalls you claim exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Sorry I'm off topic, so I'll just keep tipping Magnis Resources ( ASX:MNS ) for a long term play (2 years). They're going from mining all the way to manufacture/supply of rechargable batteries + building more gigafactories . Musk himself says he won't have enough supply from his own gigafactories. Plus they have new technology with fast charge (85% charge from empty in 6 mins). The aim for Musk is to have private houses buying their own battery pack from him and then using solar to go off grid (obviously in Australia first) , so I'm hoping Magnis will be planning the same with their plant in Townsville.
    I've been tipped these first on here at 47c and gotton burned but averaged down again when they were about 10c. They seem to be ebbing back down again from new level hovering at 20c so I might wait till 15c or so.
    Not putting in major money, just selling off my trash green cannabubble stocks and seeing if I can make a silk purse from a sows ear.
    It's a little entertaining to watch the ASX when everyone else is in bed over in the Western hemisphere too.

Anyone know who tipped them first ? It was about 2017.

I think it was 'B4mm'...... He also strongly tipped Tawana resources on ASX. He seems to have vanished from boards in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I'm tempted to go in on Chegg today with their earnings out later this evening. Theyve shown excellent growth and seem to be a top choice for online learning (which certainly isn't going any where soon).

Anyones thoughts on how the market will react to the elections next week. There was a discussion on Dem Vs Republican but I can't find it.

Advertisement