Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

CarMc wrote: »
    So it was a cash buyer who messed you about last time?

I wouldn't jump at it if I was you.

Cash buyers aren't always quicker.

You've had an unfortunate run of luck with your last two buyers but there is no safe bet. I just recently closed a sale & purchase and when we were house hunting & bidding a lot of sellers turned us away in favour of first time buyers as they didn't want a chain. I know one of those houses is yet to close (it's around the corner from my new house that I'm now closed and living in) and another popped up back on the market this week.

If I was you I'd go with the highest bidder and hope for the best (again!). Anyone who offers asking price is a serious buyer in my opinion.

Thanks food for thought there, 3rd time lucky I hope!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

I am perplexed, we have no closing date just 3 weeks from initial signing is what vendors said in contract
    My bank wants me to arrange House and life insurance how do I do that without a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

RANIA wrote: »
    I am perplexed, we have no closing date just 3 weeks from initial signing is what vendors said in contract
    My bank wants me to arrange House and life insurance how do I do that without a date?

What to do is go with the banks designated life insurance team/group they always have one. It may be slightly dearer but you can change in 12 months time. But they will be in the loop with the draw down dates from the bank and that stress is taken off as the bank will push that at the right time for you. You can set it up and it will be ready to go when you need it. Home insurance when you go for it pick a closing date and you have to do this anyway but let them know its not set in stone so if and when you know the date is moving its a simple phone call to stall the home insurance until you close

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Leozord

contracts arrived today for me to be signed, hopefully once it gets back to my solicitor it will be a matter of weeks to get the keys

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

michellie wrote: »
    So our house went on the market Sept 9th. Sale agreed October 8th(cash offer- investor) had an offer accepted on the house we love yesterday!!

Exciting few weeks. Now to get all our paperwork together for AIB tomorrow to get this show on the road.

Can I ask, did your house sell for more than the asking price and did you have to bid over the asking price for the new house?

This is a fear of mine when I get the show on the road. I’m worried I won’t get the asking price for my house and I’ll get outbidded on the houses I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Newdawn11

Green Mile wrote: »
    Can I ask, did your house sell for more than the asking price and did you have to bid over the asking price for the new house?

This is a fear of mine when I get the show on the road. I’m worried I won’t get the asking price for my house and I’ll get outbidded on the houses I like.

We have just done same. Signing contracts next week. We sold for just under asking price and bought for under as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    We have just done same. Signing contracts next week. We sold for just under asking price and bought for under as well.

Signing contracts next week (purchasers already signed and we’re waiting to get them back). Sold apartment for a little over asking price (less than 10%)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IKKI

So, getting a new build. Signing contracts very soon. Developer agreed to place tiles in kitchen and then fit kitchen once contracts are signed. That suited us fantastically.

Today we were just driving by the development, after going to buy floors for the rest of the house (permitted by level 5, just in case anyone says otherwise) and we stopped to have a quick look. Surprise surprise, the kitchen was already fitted (no tiles, of course, so our tiles will have to be placed not all over the floor, but only where there is no appliances/island). On top of that, we were given a choice of cabinet colors/finishes and they just installed the wrong ones.

What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

IKKI wrote: »
    So, getting a new build. Signing contracts very soon. Developer agreed to place tiles in kitchen and then fit kitchen once contracts are signed. That suited us fantastically.

Today we were just driving by the development, after going to buy floors for the rest of the house (permitted by level 5, just in case anyone says otherwise) and we stopped to have a quick look. Surprise surprise, the kitchen was already fitted (no tiles, of course, so our tiles will have to be placed not all over the floor, but only where there is no appliances/island). On top of that, we were given a choice of cabinet colors/finishes and they just installed the wrong ones.

What would you do?

Tiles - not much you can do if the kitchen is in. Was the builder supplying floor tiles or were you?

If you were given a choice of colors and they have put the wrong ones in then you should raise this as soon as possible so they can change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Green Mile wrote: »

We accepted 2k under our asking price. Our purchasers are cash buyers.

We bought the new house 5k over the selling price - there was another couple bidding against us. The people in the new house are moving back to their home country(china) next month.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Tiles - not much you can do if the kitchen is in. Was the builder supplying floor tiles or were you?

If you were given a choice of colors and they have put the wrong ones in then you should raise this as soon as possible so they can change them.

We had a flooring allowance. They were offering engineered flooring but we asked if we could change it for our own supplied tiles and they accepted. Regarding the colors, the kitchen is already in, so I doubt that much can be done. They are supposed to be hand painted, but I assumed that the painting would happen before installing?

We had a flooring allowance. They were offering engineered flooring but we asked if we could change it for our own supplied tiles and they accepted. Regarding the colors, the kitchen is already in, so I doubt that much can be done. They are supposed to be hand painted, but I assumed that the painting would happen before installing?

Have they the tiles already?

You need to push back, you may not be able to get under the cabinets floored like you had wanted but you can absolutely get the cabinet doors your wanted and have requested.

Have they the tiles already?

You need to push back, you may not be able to get under the cabinets floored like you had wanted but you can absolutely get the cabinet doors your wanted and have requested.

Tiles are not in yet, as we were told that they’d be installed before the kitchen, once contracts were signed (they’re not signed yet). We were going to schedule the delivery once contracts were signed. It’s not only cabinets, the whole island was supposed to be one color and the cabinets a different one. Kitchen appliances are in already as well.

My fear is that they may say, well, you don’t like it, don’t sign. I was thinking to wait to mention it until contracts are exchanged.

Tiles are not in yet, as we were told that they’d be installed before the kitchen, once contracts were signed (they’re not signed yet). We were going to schedule the delivery once contracts were signed. It’s not only cabinets, the whole island was supposed to be one color and the cabinets a different one. Kitchen appliances are in already as well.

My fear is that they may say, well, you don’t like it, don’t sign. I was thinking to wait to mention it until contracts are exchanged.

Sounds like it would be a bit of a pain for the builder tbh. The kitchen guys typically hit one house after the other. To skip your house, to wait for signing and then come back is awkward.
    Is it possible the units are just placed on the bottom and not actually fixed?

There is no point waiting, the longer you wait the less likely you will be get a resolve.
    Have your solicitor reach out and get an update, even get your hands on the number for the foreman on site.

Ive just seen the house across from me have their pantry press re done as they had requested it the same colour as the other wall cabinets and it wasnt. Now they proceeded and signed and obviously trusted that it would be changed.

I am more of a skeptic and think once your locked in your less likely to be accommodated.

Sounds like it would be a bit of a pain for the builder tbh. The kitchen guys typically hit one house after the other. To skip your house, to wait for signing and then come back is awkward.
    Is it possible the units are just placed on the bottom and not actually fixed?

There is no point waiting, the longer you wait the less likely you will be get a resolve.
    Have your solicitor reach out and get an update, even get your hands on the number for the foreman on site.

Ive just seen the house across from me have their pantry press re done as they had requested it the same colour as the other wall cabinets and it wasnt. Now they proceeded and signed and obviously trusted that it would be changed.

I am more of a skeptic and think once your locked in your less likely to be accommodated.

I didn’t think about involving the solicitor, as nothing like that is fixed in the contract. I was going to email the estate agent in charge

I didn’t think about involving the solicitor, as nothing like that is fixed in the contract. I was going to email the estate agent in charge

You have one though right? Does your contract not state the floor and colour choices?
    Try the EA but usually they are pretty useless

You have one though right? Does your contract not state the floor and colour choices?
    Try the EA but usually they are pretty useless

Yes, have the contract ready to be signed. I will try the solicitor on Tuesday, let’s see what he recommends. To be honest, the color of the cabinets is not super important, and having the kitchen fitted already means less waiting and being able to move probably before Christmas, which it would be a huge improvement. What bothers us the most is that the tiles are not going to be placed under the cabinets, and this was specifically agreed (verbally, though) with the foreman

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

Viewed one house we like at the max of our approval- called to make offer and was told we should find out what the ‘sellers want to take it off the market’. They never even asked our bid. Presume that means they are expecting more than asking price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Me and my bro were left a house by an uncle who passed away that never married .

It’s worth approx 90k and we intend to sell it.

If I get 45k, how much tax can I expect to pay on that ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

Sale fell through beacuse vendor refused to provide certified instrument document which should be standard. The property is now back on daft number 56 in Little Island. So be warned guys before losing money during the process and without mentioning the stress of getting loan offer. Even the auctioneer rep refused to work on this sale becuase of its dodginess.

• Advertisement

Me and my bro were left a house by an uncle who passed away that never married .

It’s worth approx 90k and we intend to sell it.

If I get 45k, how much tax can I expect to pay on that ?

Thanks

I should note , we have had the house for 5 years and neither of us have lived in it .

I should note , we have had the house for 5 years and neither of us have lived in it .

“ There is no Capital Gains Tax on assets passed on death. When the person who acquired the assets comes to dispose of them they are treated as if they had been acquired at their market value on the date of the death. If the assets are disposed of by the personal representatives of the person who has died, they are responsible for any gains between the date of the person’s death and the date the assets are disposed. The annual exemption from CGT of €1,270 (see below) does not apply to personal representatives. The exemption only applies to people disposing of assets in their own right.”

Am I right to think because we have inherited the house then there is no capital gains tax to be paid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Without jinxing myself ( :pac: ), 2 weeks sale agreed and the vendors contracts are with our solicitor, we've had a surveyors report and a valuers report done. KBC have a quite a queue to process loan offers, roughly we're looking at another 5 working days but I'd imagine that's really closer to 10.

Had a second walk through during the week to show our parents and take furniture measurements. Estate agent to very keen to keep things moving, as are both parties.
    Still hopeful we can make 4-6 week turn around happen!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

please take the property market speculation chatter to the Irish Property Market 2020 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭klose

<MOD SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Out of curiosity. Are the contracts legally binding from the moment you sign? i.e., lets say that I'm buying a new house and I sign the contract. Am I legally bound at that moment or only when the other part signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Bit of a rant more than anything...

I was due to close on my first house on Friday, went to my solicitor and signed all the paperwork that morning, and they were sending the money to the vendors solicitor via same day transfer.

I went out to the house for lunchtime to do a final inspection with the Estate agent (all went well). All my possessions were packed up and I had a loan of a van for the move, which arrived around 2:30pm which was when I was told the transfer should be complete and the Estate Agent could hand over the keys. The new house is over an hour from my parents where I have been living.

At 4pm I found out there was a problem with the bank, and that they had initially sent €24.50 more than was due, so cancelled the transfer. They then resent the correct amount, as the IT network collapsed (so I'm told) - the money left my solicitors account, but never materialised in the vendors solictor's account before 5:30pm, so they wouldn't release the keys.

I'm mostly just angry as this has wasted the long weekend which I planned to spend moving in, meaning I've to take more time off work. I've also had to pay to rent the van for longer as I've nowhere to unload it too (and it's absolutely stuffed). I'm also having to sleep on my parents couch as my bed and everything is in the van which I left at a friends near to my new house.

Anyone have any thoughts on asking my solicitor about compensation for all this? At the end of the day, I'm out money for the van, the food I had bought which has gone to waste, and none of this was my fault or in my power to prevent. I dunno who would be liable for compensation, probably the bank they use for the mess up with the transfer which has left me without a place to go for a long weekend?

/rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

“ There is no Capital Gains Tax on assets passed on death. When the person who acquired the assets comes to dispose of them they are treated as if they had been acquired at their market value on the date of the death. If the assets are disposed of by the personal representatives of the person who has died, they are responsible for any gains between the date of the person’s death and the date the assets are disposed. The annual exemption from CGT of €1,270 (see below) does not apply to personal representatives. The exemption only applies to people disposing of assets in their own right.”

Am I right to think because we have inherited the house then there is no capital gains tax to be paid ?

What you have quoted there is saying that CGT does not apply on the death. As I understand it, you are planning to sell now, which is not the transfer on death. There will be CGT for you if you now sell it, if the market value has gone up from the date of inheritance.

Did you pay the CAT due on your inheritance? You could use the value of the property from the CAT return as your basis for calculating market value on date of inheritance for the CGT calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Anyone know how long it takes for ICS to go from AIP to letter of offer?

I've been sale agreed for a few weeks now but couldn't move forward to offer stage with ICS because of reasons outside my control (a grant had to be confirmed with council) until a few days ago. Now the vendor wants contract signed in next two weeks.

It should be straightforward, very little has changed since I got my AIP. Just nervous about timelines. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been asked a million times! In terms of the 5k restrictions a lot of agents still seem happy to show houses, is it an acceptable reason to leave your 5k region if stopped? My wife actually went to the local guards yesterday to ask and to be fair to them they were very helpful but they could not really give any guidance. I guess that you should be able to provide proof/confirmation of an appointment being done under the conditions set by the various surveyor bodies etc. Would that suffice?

Thanks!

Advertisement