Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you have the deeds and own the house then they are trespassing. Pursue it via your solicitor.

I believe if both purchasers and vendors could agree final bits and pieces between themselves without involving solicitors, a lot of things would go smoother

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭klose

Got a call off the estate agent about an upcoming viewing for Thursday asking can we switch to tomorrow because viewings are not allowed for the lockdown, I thought they would be OK but obviously not

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Viewings will continue during the lockdown. They did last time.
    A neighbors house is for sale, just listed last week, so they are still going to have viewings I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I believe if both purchasers and vendors could agree final bits and pieces between themselves without involving solicitors, a lot of things would go smoother

The difference in speed, cost and hassle between property transactions here and in Australia is just astonishing. €200 instead of €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

klose wrote: »
    Got a call off the estate agent about an upcoming viewing for Thursday asking can we switch to tomorrow because viewings are not allowed for the lockdown, I thought they would be OK but obviously not

Same here, had a viewing for Friday changed to tomorrow. In the case of the house I’m going to view, it’s owner occupied so I can understand why they are not going to be happening during lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Met 2 estate agents today in Dublin for separate viewings. Both were confident viewings would continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Out of interests what are ppls opinions on who does the survey of the house before you buy.
    Some say architect some say engineer or even a Q.S. I have the option to get a survey from the original engineer that assisted in building the estate so thought that would be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

So our house went on the market Sept 9th. Sale agreed October 8th(cash offer- investor) had an offer accepted on the house we love yesterday!!

Exciting few weeks. Now to get all our paperwork together for AIB tomorrow to get this show on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

ELM327 wrote: »
    Viewings will continue during the lockdown. They did last time.
    A neighbors house is for sale, just listed last week, so they are still going to have viewings I'm sure.

I don’t remember viewings being on last time. All listings online had virtual house tours. I don’t think viewings resumed until lockdown had eased

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Jasna1982 wrote: »
    I don’t remember viewings being on last time. All listings online had virtual house tours. I don’t think viewings resumed until lockdown had eased

There was viewings but it was staggered one househunter at a time in. Personally went to 3 separate viewings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 anon_for_today

Out of interests what are ppls opinions on who does the survey of the house before you buy.
    Some say architect some say engineer or even a Q.S. I have the option to get a survey from the original engineer that assisted in building the estate so thought that would be best?

From our experience, it would very much depend on the property you're buying. Our first home was a new build, so more of a snag-type survey, with a QS we knew.

New home is old, with significant modifications made over time, so needed a QS and a Structural Engineer report to satisfy ourselves (and the bank!!) that it was a sound property

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

Hi All,

taking into account level 5 restrictions imposed by Government do you think bank valuations and apartment / house surveys will still be allowed or going ahead ?

I have them booked in near future but not sure now if this will totally stall for 6 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

From our experience, it would very much depend on the property you're buying. Our first home was a new build, so more of a snag-type survey, with a QS we knew.

New home is old, with significant modifications made over time, so needed a QS and a Structural Engineer report to satisfy ourselves (and the bank!!) that it was a sound property

Oh so you ended up getting both a QS & Structural engineer for the "pre-loved" home, interesting. Was there a lot of cross-over in the reports or do they cover off different items?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cove33

Meraf wrote: »
    Hi All,

taking into account level 5 restrictions imposed by Government do you think bank valuations and apartment / house surveys will still be allowed or going ahead ?

I have them booked in near future but not sure now if this will totally stall for 6 weeks..
    I spoke with a valuer yesterday morning and he told me they will be working as normal during Level 5 restrictions. Also spoke with the snagger I intend to use and they will also be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

I got 2 offers on my house, 1 is asking price and the other is about 7% under so a considerable amount.

Things is the lower offer is from a cash buyer.
    Higher offer is from someone who only put their on property on market yesterday.

I've already had 2 sale agreed fall through can't take another one. Would you be tempted by lower offer.? Lockdown is a major factor.

Is there anyway to make a sale agreed more solid, of course its not legally binding but can you put stipulations in that might speed up the process or demand a higher deposit?
    My last sale agreed pull out on me on day of signing and walked away Scott free, I literally lost thousands and am still paying for it,

Any tips or advice

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

I got 2 offers on my house, 1 is asking price and the other is about 7% under so a considerable amount.

Higher offer is from someone who only put their on property on market yesterday.

I've already had 2 sale agreed fall through can't take another one. Would you be tempted by lower offer.? Lockdown is a major factor.

Is there anyway to make a sale agreed more solid, of course its not legally binding but can you put stipulations in that might speed up the process or demand a higher deposit?
    My last sale agreed pull out on me on day of signing and walked away Scott free, I literally lost thousands and am still paying for it,

Any tips or advice

How long is your own house on the market? Ultimately the answer to your question depends on your circumstances and how quick or not you need to sell.

We’re coming towards the end of the traditional selling season although the missed months due to COVID might extend it.

Up since start of year, sale agreed in March fell through due to covid. No viewings until lockdown lifted in June, had huge interest, sale agreed start of July and was strung along for 4 months, sale fell through on day of signing. Wasted all the summer on them and was actually turning away viewings as buyer wanted "quick turn over" and was a cash buyer 🀔

Now a quick sale would suit me but I'm not desperate either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Up since start of year, sale agreed in March fell through due to covid. No viewings until lockdown lifted in June, had huge interest, sale agreed start of July and was strung along for 4 months, sale fell through on day of signing. Wasted all the summer on them and was actually turning away viewings as buyer wanted "quick turn over" and was a cash buyer 🀔

I'd try negotiate a slight price increase with this cash buyer, and get it done. Way too much uncertainty out there to try for the perfect outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Up since start of year, sale agreed in March fell through due to covid. No viewings until lockdown lifted in June, had huge interest, sale agreed start of July and was strung along for 4 months, sale fell through on day of signing. Wasted all the summer on them and was actually turning away viewings as buyer wanted "quick turn over" and was a cash buyer ��

Out of pure curiosity, do you mind if I ask why the second sale fell through on signing day?

Markitron wrote: »
    Out of pure curiosity, do you mind if I ask why the second sale fell through on signing day?

The short answer is don't know, my gut tells me they changed their mind, or they were buying time by drawing out the sale to keep their options open. A month before closing they starting asking for things like get the septic tank emptied or get the boiler serviced which I did in good faith.
    It's impossible to tell what they were thinking really buy show you people will mess you around and walk away. Has cost me thousands

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,535 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ArphaRima wrote: »
    I'd try negotiate a slight price increase with this cash buyer, and get it done. Way too much uncertainty out there to try for the perfect outcome.

Agreed. I'd figure out what the minimum is you're willing to accept from a cash buyer, and put it as a counter offer to the current cash buyer. Tell them you'll take it off the market right away and are ready to get the ball moving quickly if they accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Any tips or advice

I would not be tempted by a cash buyer flipper looking to make a quick 7+% for no effort. If you are not desperate stick to your guns. Thanks for your anecdote. I hope to be putting my house on the market soon. I was already inclined to tell any potential buyers asking for work to be done to take a hike. Now it's definite. Or - Sure i'll do x,y and Z, so long as we make your deposit non-refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Contract over with the buyer for 5 weeks . No word at all from their side since.

Time to make a few calls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Im finally signing the contracts today after a long road, sale agreed since July

cant wait to get the keys in a few weeks!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

The short answer is don't know, my gut tells me they changed their mind, or they were buying time by drawing out the sale to keep their options open. A month before closing they starting asking for things like get the septic tank emptied or get the boiler serviced which I did in good faith.
    It's impossible to tell what they were thinking really buy show you people will mess you around and walk away. Has cost me thousands

I would tell your EA to ask the cash buyer to come up or your going with the higher offer and put in clauses in place for timelines. I would be hounding your EA every day for progress on the buying for example if they have not got the 10% over to their solicitor and the loan offer signed by 6 weeks I would be threatening to pull out. Make sure the buyers have paid the money to the solicitor as then if they do pull out at least they are on the hook for solicitor fees and the solicitor will take them when giving their deposit back as they will be doing work. Nothing worse than a bill for a few grand and nothing to show for it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Seen a church for sale today on the online auction. Opened at 25k sold for 115k. Borrisokane church.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Purchasers signed contracts. Waiting to get them back, sign, and sign my loan offer and new build contracts. The ball is moving

fliball123 wrote: »
    I would tell your EA to ask the cash buyer to come up or your going with the higher offer and put in clauses in place for timelines. I would be hounding your EA every day for progress on the buying for example if they have not got the 10% over to their solicitor and the loan offer signed by 6 weeks I would be threatening to pull out. Make sure the buyers have paid the money to the solicitor as then if they do pull out at least they are on the hook for solicitor fees and the solicitor will take them when giving their deposit back as they will be doing work. Nothing worse than a bill for a few grand and nothing to show for it

Thanks for that information

Contract over with the buyer for 5 weeks . No word at all from their side since.

Time to make a few calls ?

In my experience you can't presume the ea, your solicitor, their solicitors or the buyers are doing anything in a hurry to get your sale done and contacts sign. You need to keep on everyone's back to get things done in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Up since start of year, sale agreed in March fell through due to covid. No viewings until lockdown lifted in June, had huge interest, sale agreed start of July and was strung along for 4 months, sale fell through on day of signing. Wasted all the summer on them and was actually turning away viewings as buyer wanted "quick turn over" and was a cash buyer ��

So it was a cash buyer who messed you about last time?

I wouldn't jump at it if I was you.

Cash buyers aren't always quicker.

You've had an unfortunate run of luck with your last two buyers but there is no safe bet. I just recently closed a sale & purchase and when we were house hunting & bidding a lot of sellers turned us away in favour of first time buyers as they didn't want a chain. I know one of those houses is yet to close (it's around the corner from my new house that I'm now closed and living in) and another popped up back on the market this week.

If I was you I'd go with the highest bidder and hope for the best (again!). Anyone who offers asking price is a serious buyer in my opinion.

Advertisement