Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Manger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,031 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, the following happened:
    • You were given a list of tasks by your manager. They had to be completed that day.
    • You didn't complete them all (you forgot to do two of them) and went home.
    • Manager rings you and says he's disappointed, and you should not come back into work until he's back in the office in two days.

The last part is important as maybe there are other problems. Coming in late. Not wearing your mask properly. Too many smoke breaks. Etc.

Maybes don’t come into it. No point in dealing with hypotheticals and accusing the op when you and we are only aware of what the op posted.

Maybe they crash their car into the HR manager who is having a smoke ? Maybe not... it’s certainly not relevant. Let’s deal in facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,828 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Del2005 wrote: »
    The manager is not following any disciplinary procedure, who would rely on someone who can't handle their employees?

Nonsense.

The employee has been stood down until a sufficiently senior manager is next in the office and able to start the investigation.

Provided they have already got their contracted hours for the week, then it's not even stood down without pay.

That is the first step in the disciplinary process in many shift-work based organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Strumms wrote: »
    Maybes don’t come into it. No point in dealing with hypotheticals and accusing the op when you and we are only aware of what the op posted.

Maybe they crash their car into the HR manager who is having a smoke ? Maybe not... it’s certainly not relevant. Let’s deal in facts.

I'm not accusing the OP of anything.

I'm saying ask the manager if there are other things he needs to improve upon, as there may be other issues which are bothering the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It sounds like you're going to be fired.

This isn't America.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Strumms seems to be taking a fair a level headed approach.

Strumms has a history of "management" always being the bad guy.

• Advertisement

PCeeeee wrote: »
    This isn't America.

You can be fired for incompetence (there has to be a history of documented incompetence and attempts to improve), however if the OP has been there less than a year he can't argue unfair dismissal.

Like most posts in this forum, we really need more information before we can give complete answers.

You can be fired for incompetence (there has to be a history of documented incompetence and attempts to improve), however if the OP has been there less than a year he can't argue unfair dismissal.

Like most posts in this forum, we really need more information before we can give complete answers.

We do indeed. It didn't stop you hopping in to a conclusion though.

We do indeed. It didn't stop you hopping in to a conclusion though.

You don't understand what this forum is.

The OP tells us his story, and based on that we give our opinions and advice.

None of us know the complete story, and none of us know what's going to happen.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

You don't understand what this forum is.

The OP tells us his story, and based on that we give our opinions and advice.

None of us know the complete story, and none of us know what's going to happen.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

Lookit. I'm not going to engage in an off topic pissing contest with you. You gave your advice. I critiqued it and now you feel the need to defend it.

You're correct in saying we need the compete story. Unless there are circumstances not explained its very unlikely the OP can be legally 'fired'. That's my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lookit. I'm not going to engage in an off topic pissing contest with you. You gave your advice. I critiqued it and now you feel the need to defend it.

You're correct in saying we need the compete story. Unless there are circumstances not explained its very unlikely the OP can be legally 'fired'. That's my issue.

I haven’t read anything to suggest the op will be fired. He may just get a bollocking and lose the OT because he isn’t reliable and doesn’t appreciate the importance of following the manager’s instruction.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I haven’t read anything to suggest the op will be fired. He may just get a bollocking and lose the OT because he isn’t reliable and doesn’t appreciate the importance of following the manager’s instruction.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Did you consider going back in the following day to do them and say nothing.

When your manager confronts you then you can say you want back and did them unpaid.

I'm not defending my advice, none of us know the complete story so my advice is speculative, I'm responding to you pretending you can't fire people in Ireland and not understanding how this forum works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

If the instruction was life and death for the organisation, and somehow justifying a firing, relying on a casual contractor to carry it out might not be the smartest approach. You'll probably get a bollocking, and if worse so be it. You are stressing about performing your job well. Learn the lesson from this and keep that approach. It might be that it's not in this company but you'll do grand in different circumstances with that attitude.

I'm not defending my advice, none of us know the complete story so my advice is speculative, I'm responding to you pretending you can't fire people in Ireland and not understanding how this forum works.

I assure you that neither of those things are true and also that I am finished engaging with you.

Focus on helping the OP.

I assure you that neither of those things are true and also that I am finished engaging with you.

Focus on helping the OP.

OK. Try to understand that your previous posts made it seem otherwise.
    OMM 000 wrote:
    It sounds like you're going to be fired
    PCeeeee wrote:
    This isn't America
    OMM 000 wrote:
    You can be fired for incompetence
    PCeeeee wrote:
    Its very unlikely the OP can be legally 'fired'

When your manager rings you outside of work hours to tell you to not come back into work until he is back in the office in three days, that's almost certainly a serious disciplinary matter.

If the OP has been there less than a year, he can be fired on the spot.

Obviously I hope I am wrong and the OP can keep his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I know the OP, he got the sack unfortunately

I know the OP, he got the sack unfortunately

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ryzken

Sorry forgot too update you guys, I got sacked over it all.. Won't be getting paid for both days,

Also i went back down wednesday too try resolve the issue by finishing them off, And he told me to go home as i was finished that day,

Went in this morning there was one of the supervisors who only came into work for a hour to finish off some paperwork and fired me infront of the supervisor

Ryzken wrote: »
    Sorry forgot too update you guys, I got sacked over it all.. Won't be getting paid for both days,

Also i went back down wednesday too try resolve the issue by finishing them off, And he told me to go home as i was finished that day,

Went in this morning there was one of the supervisors who only came into work for a hour to finish off some paperwork and fired me infront of the supervisor

Do you mind me asking how long you were working there?

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking how long you were working there?

4 months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ryzken wrote: »
    It was forgetting too unwrap a pallet and move another pallet nothing else. I'm contracted for 20 hours but getting 39-41

Doesn't sound like they were 2 things that would have taken too long/been too much hassle. They're also not exactly complicated instructions. Sounds like you just didn't do them for whatever reason. Your manager seems fairly justified being pissed off.

Doesn't sound like they were 2 things that would have taken too long/been too much hassle. They're also not exactly complicated instructions. Sounds like you just didn't do them for whatever reason. Your manager seems fairly justified being pissed off.

Never once said it was too much hassle, It was simply forgetting about it till he phoned me as my supervisor had help her do other jobs before i was finished. I didn't go out of my way to purposely avoid doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

screw em op, sounds like a dump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sound like you are better off out of there.

Strumms has a history of "management" always being the bad guy.

I’ve a history of calling it as I see it, based on what I’m told. I’ve been critical of both managers and employees in this forum depending on what we are told about the scenario. I try and form an opinion based in objectivity, evidence and fairness.

So my ‘history’ of ... “management always being the bad guy”... is untrue. This is a narrative that you are using to purposely mislead people. Covid or no covid you should find something more useful to do with your Saturday night, then try to mislead people, on the Internet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

OP, unfair dismissal isn't based solely on being there for 1 year or more - sounds like your manager didn't follow proper procedure, and it may be worth your while seeking out professional advice about this, after reading up on it more - if it's contract based, worth going over the terms etc..
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/unfair_dismissal.html

Regardless of the legalities, your manager treated you like dogshit, there - worth putting in the research and becoming as knowledgeable as you can about your rights (if contracting, may assist you in improving/adding terms in work contracts you agree, too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Seems an over the top reaction If there has been no issues up until now.

KyussB wrote: »
    OP, unfair dismissal isn't based solely on being there for 1 year or more - sounds like your manager didn't follow proper procedure, and it may be worth your while seeking out professional advice about this, after reading up on it more - if it's contract based, worth going over the terms etc..
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/dismissal/unfair_dismissal.html

Regardless of the legalities, your manager treated you like dogshit, there - worth putting in the research and becoming as knowledgeable as you can about your rights (if contracting, may assist you in improving/adding terms in work contracts you agree, too).

He's been in the company less than a year, so his only recourse is the Industrial Relations Act, and the employer can just ignore the ruling. This is all in the link you provided.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day OP, you dodged a bullet most likely...you were in the wrong but the company have handled it poorly.

Learn from it too, in a busy work environment maybe in future, jot down tasks you are supposed to do in your phone by photographing the task assignment schedule / sheet , or noting it on piece of paper.

Advertisement